Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how much active yeast do I need to make .25 teaspoon of instant yeast?

I read somewhere that instant yeast carries about 70% live yeast
compared to active yeast's 30%. If the recipe calls for instant yeast
should I just double up on the active yeast or will that throw off the
measurements?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It sounds like you are thinking about trying the NYT no-knead bread
recipe that's been making the rounds recently. My guess is that, given
the fermentation times specified in the recipe, you won't see a whole
lot of difference between the two types of yeast, unless your active
yeast is very old, and possibly relegated to inactive status.

If you want some insurance, you could get your "active" yeast started in
some warm water (subtracted from the 1 5/8 cups specified in the recipe)
for 15 or 20 minutes before adding it to the mixture.

Bob
===================================
In article . com>,
says...
> I read somewhere that instant yeast carries about 70% live yeast
> compared to active yeast's 30%. If the recipe calls for instant yeast
> should I just double up on the active yeast or will that throw off the
> measurements?

Fleischmann's Yeast: Regular vs. Active Manda Ruby General Cooking 37 30-11-2009 06:30 PM
Difference between Active Dry, and Brewers yeast Tim[_11_] Winemaking 4 16-04-2009 01:27 AM
Dry Active Yeast Frank103 Baking 9 11-11-2006 02:03 AM
when can i tell yeast is active --- DAve Allison Winemaking 9 07-03-2006 05:25 AM
Active dry yeast vs Instant (rapid-rise) stiko Baking 7 23-08-2005 10:17 PM