Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quinoa?

I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
originally from South America.

What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?

Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?

Sounds good, anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
> originally from South America.
>
> What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?
>
> Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?
>
> Sounds good, anyway.
>
> Any thoughts?

No thoughts exactly..just that I've been meaning to try some eventually.
I hear it is chock full of protein and good things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
> originally from South America.
>
> What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?
>
> Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?
>
> Sounds good, anyway.
>
> Any thoughts?

I've been cooking with it for years.

Botanically, it is an herb, but it acts like a grain when cooking so you
can think of it as a grain. Nutritionally, it has more protein and less
carb than the other grains.

The cooked consistency is closest to bulgar wheat than anything else.
You can cook it to the mushy stage or catch it when the kernels are
still soft but still separate.

You can put it in a soup, but I prefer it as a salad. I use in place of
cous cous and bulgur in tabouleh. That's mixing it with parsley, mint,
scallions, oil and lemon juice. (I have nothing against cous cous or
bulgur so my substitution is about variety, but this is a good tip for
those who can't eat wheat.)

I make another salad with half cooked quinoa and half raw finely chopped
vegetables: carrot, red and green bell pepper, scallions, cilantro or
parsley, zucchini, etc. with a cider vinegar, tamari, sesame oil dressing.

I get best results when I rinse it in a strainer before cooking. Bring
3 parts water to a boil, add 1 part quinoa, cover and lower heat for 15
minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

Pronounce it keen-wa.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:55:35 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
>originally from South America.
>
>What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?
>
>Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?
>
>Sounds good, anyway.
>
>Any thoughts?

I use it to make pilaf. Very good, and as with rice pilaf, utterly
versatile. Also very high in protein.

Try it, you'll like it :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:55:35 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
>originally from South America.
>
>What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?

About half way between the two.

>Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?

I've never tried it in either.

>Sounds good, anyway.

It's quite pleasant.

http://www.easynn.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler said...

<good stuff snipped for brevity>

> I make another salad with half cooked quinoa and half raw finely
> chopped vegetables: carrot, red and green bell pepper, scallions,
> cilantro or parsley, zucchini, etc. with a cider vinegar, tamari,
> sesame oil dressing.

This sounds great, that and with some improvising!

> Pronounce it keen-wa.

And that's how I typed it into google and it gracefully corrected me.

> --Lia

--Lia,

Thanks for the good info. The other benefits were gluten-free and high
fiber.

All the best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Thanks for the good info. The other benefits were gluten-free and high
> fiber.

I'm not sure about the high fiber. In macrobiotic terms, quinoa is
strongly yang, meaning, more likely to cause constipation unless it is
offset with foods that are strongly yin.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> I use it to make pilaf. Very good, and as with rice pilaf, utterly
> versatile. Also very high in protein.

I've never warmed up to pilaf -- got a farorite recipe?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Andy" <q> schreef in bericht ...
>I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
> originally from South America.
>
> What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?
>
> Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?
>
> Sounds good, anyway.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,

Ohters have said good things in this thread. I'd just like to add that I
find it tastes a little sweet - I am sure it would go great with nuts (pilav
style), or mushrooms and feta cheese.

I ususally eat it "like"rice or bulgur. I often serve it with a veggie stew.

It's eay to cook and very good for you. Apparently, it's the only plant food
that contains all 20 amino acids, making it very suitable for peope who
don't eat animal proteins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:55:35 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
>originally from South America.
>
>What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?

Closer to couscous

>Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?

This is my favorite quinoa recipe, even if a bowl of it did attack me,
requiring me to get stitches in my hand:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/07...noa-salad.html

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene said...

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:55:35 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
>>originally from South America.
>>
>>What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?

> Closer to couscous
>

>>Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?

> This is my favorite quinoa recipe, even if a bowl of it did attack me,
> requiring me to get stitches in my hand:
>
> http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/07...noa-salad.html
>
> Serene

Serene,

I bookmarked your recipe page. A very tasty looking dish!

Thanks and all the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I just saw quinoa on the Epicurious TV show. Some sort of super grain
> originally from South America.
>
> What's the cooked consistency like? Rice, couscous?
>
> Probably served like a pilaf or in soup in place of barley?
>
> Sounds good, anyway.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

I cook mine in my rice cooker with a 2:1 water to quinoa ratio. Comes out a
little like fluffy couscous and I use it in place of couscous in a lot of
things.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Quinoa Richard Fangnail General Cooking 3 16-09-2007 09:29 PM
Quinoa Omni in Atlanta Vegetarian cooking 6 29-12-2006 05:16 PM
Quinoa (again) TammyM General Cooking 4 02-12-2006 08:32 PM
Quinoa Jarkat2002 General Cooking 10 20-12-2003 07:18 PM