Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sam's Club Pies?

Oh pshaw, on Sun 12 Nov 2006 06:26:20p, Goomba38 meant to say...

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>> Went to Sam's this afternoon. I saw these HUGE pies. I have to take a
>> bunch of pies to the SIL's for Turkey Day. Has anyone ever tried their
>> pies? They look wonderful but I've never tried one. Actually I've
>> never noticed them before. I bought a bunch of stuff today but very
>> little in the way of food. I did buy a 3 lb. bag of Hershey's Kisses
>> and a giant box of Gardettos rye/garlic toast thingys.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> <tapping foot impatiently> Michael... don't do it!! Pies are easy and
> even using those fold up Pillsbury crusts, they will taste much better
> made fresh that day rather than something store bought that was made
> days to weeks earlier. What ELSE ya gotta do!? I cringe at the thought
> of soggy store bought crusts. Blech.
> Opionatedly Yours,
> Goomba

Goomba, you must be as much of a pie snob/fanatic as I am, and as I've
already posted. I know a lot of people seem to like those, but I'd rather
have no pie than any store bought pie. You're right, even those fold up
Pillsbury crusts are better.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite
neurosis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Went to Sam's this afternoon. I saw these HUGE pies. I have to take a
> bunch of pies to the SIL's for Turkey Day. Has anyone ever tried their
> pies? They look wonderful but I've never tried one. Actually I've never
> noticed them before. I bought a bunch of stuff today but very little in
> the way of food. I did buy a 3 lb. bag of Hershey's Kisses and a giant box
> of Gardettos rye/garlic toast thingys.
>
> Michael

<tapping foot impatiently> Michael... don't do it!! Pies are easy and
even using those fold up Pillsbury crusts, they will taste much better
made fresh that day rather than something store bought that was made
days to weeks earlier. What ELSE ya gotta do!? I cringe at the thought
of soggy store bought crusts. Blech.
Opionatedly Yours,
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Nov 2006 02:35:57 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 12 Nov 2006 06:26:20p, Goomba38 meant to say...

>> <tapping foot impatiently> Michael... don't do it!! Pies are easy and
>> even using those fold up Pillsbury crusts, they will taste much better
>> made fresh that day rather than something store bought that was made
>> days to weeks earlier. What ELSE ya gotta do!? I cringe at the thought
>> of soggy store bought crusts. Blech.
>> Opionatedly Yours,
>> Goomba
>>

>Goomba, you must be as much of a pie snob/fanatic as I am, and as I've
>already posted. I know a lot of people seem to like those, but I'd rather
>have no pie than any store bought pie. You're right, even those fold up
>Pillsbury crusts are better.

AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 02:49:04 +0100 (CET), "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>Oy... Well, I might compromise and make the 2 pumpkin pies. I can do those
>okay using a pre-made crust. I usually have to use a lot more spices than
>the recipe calls for. Maybe it's just me but if I use the spice
>measurements on the Libby's can recipe, the pies are just bland. I zip 'em
>up a bit
>
>Michael

This is the recipe I use, from James Beard no less. The spicing (at
least in my estimation, is marvelous.

Rich Pumpkin Pie

Plain pastry for 2 9-inch pie shells

2 cups mashed pumpkin (canned is ideal)
6 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup finely cut preserved or candied ginger
1/2 cup cognac
1/4 teaspoon mace

Fill shells with foil and beans and back at 425 degrees for 12
minutes. Remove
foil and beans. Remove pie shells from oven.

Place pumpkin in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add lightly
beaten eggs
combined with heavy cream, seasonings, cognac, and chopped ginger.
Blend
thoroughly. Correct the seasonings- you may want a spicier pie. Pour
into the
partially baked pie shells and bake at 375 degrees until the custard
is just
set.

James Beard says he prefers to serve this on the warm side...with
cognac
flavored and sweetened whipped cream.

When I have not had cognac in the house..I have made it with a good
brandy..and
it turned out well....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Goomba38 >
> :
>
>> <tapping foot impatiently> Michael... don't do it!! Pies are easy and
>> even using those fold up Pillsbury crusts, they will taste much better
>> made fresh that day rather than something store bought that was made
>> days to weeks earlier. What ELSE ya gotta do!? I cringe at the
>> thought of soggy store bought crusts. Blech.
>> Opionatedly Yours,
>> Goomba

> Oy... Well, I might compromise and make the 2 pumpkin pies. I can do those
> okay using a pre-made crust. I usually have to use a lot more spices than
> the recipe calls for. Maybe it's just me but if I use the spice
> measurements on the Libby's can recipe, the pies are just bland. I zip 'em
> up a bit
>
> Michael

I made pumpkin pie a few weeks ago and added a tablespoon or so of
grated orange zest. I really didn't like it, it killed the pumpkin
and spice flavors without adding any of its own.

gloria p

Sam's Club Pies? Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 9 18-11-2006 03:07 AM
Sam's Club Pies? KIB General Cooking 0 14-11-2006 01:29 PM
Sam's Club Pies? BOB General Cooking 0 13-11-2006 12:35 AM
Sam's Club Pies? Dave Bugg General Cooking 0 13-11-2006 12:06 AM
Sam's Club Pies? zxcvbob General Cooking 0 13-11-2006 12:03 AM