Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Huitlacoche

Anyone know how to get some huitlacoche mushrooms here in the states?
I grew fond of them in Mexico and was able to get them at a specialty
food store for a while but the place closed. Haven't seen them
anywhere else since and I've had no luck via the web. Why can I find
shitake, morel, oyster and portabella mushrooms but no huitlacoche
that's right across the border (I'm in TX!)?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Canned is better than nothing. So where can you find it, Fiesta or a
specialty place? I'm in Austin/San Antonio and I can't believe there's
no demand with the huge mexican population, guess they're becoming more
and more tex-mex and more and more americanos with each generation.
Those abuelitas need to keep the raza alive!

On Nov 11, 8:07 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2006 17:37:49 -0800, Nellie wrote:
>
> > Anyone know how to get some huitlacoche mushrooms here in the states?
> > I grew fond of them in Mexico and was able to get them at a specialty
> > food store for a while but the place closed. Haven't seen them
> > anywhere else since and I've had no luck via the web. Why can I find
> > shitake, morel, oyster and portabella mushrooms but no huitlacoche
> > that's right across the border (I'm in TX!)?I've never seen it here in Austin, either. But you can buy it

> canned.
>
> It's strictly a supply and demand thing. There's no demand,
> hence all if it would go bad before they sold it.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hmm, a greater interest lately, I wonder why. Huitlacoche could become
the new shitake.

What do you mean by "purposely infecting their crops"? GMOs,
pesticides...? Well, thanks for the info, very helpful.

On Nov 11, 8:39 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2006 18:25:45 -0800, Nellie wrote:
>
> > Canned is better than nothing. So where can you find it, Fiesta or a
> > specialty place?Fiesta has it canned (or so has been reported several times in

> austin.food). It's not in season, even where corn is grown twice
> a year, so it's unlikely you'll find it fresh.
>
> When it is in season, there are two mail order places:
>
> El Aficionado, Ltd
> 2365 N. Quincy Street
> Arlington , VA 22207
> 1-800-622-4317
>
> Frozen
> Burns Farms
> 16158 Hillside Circle
> Montverde,
> Fl 34756
>
> > I'm in Austin/San Antonio and I can't believe there's
> > no demand with the huge mexican population, guess they're becoming more
> > and more tex-mex and more and more americanos with each generation.
> > Those abuelitas need to keep the raza alive! I wouldn't be surprised if Fiesta has it when it's in season.

> Not sure exactly what season that is, mind you, but I know corn
> isn't being grown in most parts of the US this time of year.
>
> Farmers are supposedly purposely infecting their crops since
> there has been a greater interest lately.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nellie" > writes:
> Anyone know how to get some huitlacoche mushrooms here in the
>states?

Your local smut peddler?

More seriously, I can usually get huitlacoche in canned form at my
local grocery store here in New Hampshire (it hides well on the bottom
shelf, however). I also got some fresh stuff from a local farmer this
year, but that's because he knew I was looking for some.

> Why can I find
> shitake, morel, oyster and portabella mushrooms but no huitlacoche
> that's right across the border (I'm in TX!)?

even a large number of rfc'ers think the concept of eating corn fungus
is gross:

http://tinyurl.com/y92poj

Myself, I love the stuff. A proper hand-rolled huitlacoche and chard
taco is to die for.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.penderys.com/detail.aspx?ID=37862

"Nellie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Anyone know how to get some huitlacoche mushrooms here in the states?
> I grew fond of them in Mexico and was able to get them at a specialty
> food store for a while but the place closed. Haven't seen them
> anywhere else since and I've had no luck via the web. Why can I find
> shitake, morel, oyster and portabella mushrooms but no huitlacoche
> that's right across the border (I'm in TX!)?

Huitlacoche Para Quesadillas International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 11-06-2008 03:02 AM
Huitlacoche in UK? James Mexican Cooking 3 19-10-2006 09:49 PM
Huitlacoche?!! Twentylettersintotal Mexican Cooking 4 05-10-2006 07:24 PM
huitlacoche chipotle Mexican Cooking 5 14-08-2006 12:50 AM
Agucates Rellenos de Huitlacoche (Huitlacoche (or mushrooms)-Stuffed Avocados from Puebla) MrFalafel Vegan 0 06-10-2003 12:15 PM