Timberwolf

Default Any good websites on food and cuisine?

Hi everyone

Can anyone recommend some good websites on food and cuisine?
I'm especially interested in Asian and French food/wine.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com

Colin McGregor

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 01:29:10 +0800, "Timberwolf" >
wrote:

>Hi everyone
>
>Can anyone recommend some good websites on food and cuisine?
>I'm especially interested in Asian and French food/wine.
>
>Thanks in advance.

There are two Asian food websites I can recomend, first a Thai food
site, who's Pad Thai recipie I have tried and can recommend quite
highly:

http://www.thaitable.com/

The second website is a collection of recipes taken from the cooking
column of an English language Malaysian newspaper (The Star):

http://www.kuali.com/

I have not yet tried any of CyberKuali recipes, but I do find it fun
just to occasionally have a look at some very different tastes. Also,
some of the things this site takes for granted have me going to a web
search engine, like as I write this note the reader poll on the
CyberKuali site is:

Bak kut teh lovers! A BKT meal is not complete without...

- Rice
- Mushrooms
- Yau char kwai
- Taupok
- Rice and at least one of the others

Now, thanks to Google I know "Bak kut teh" is a pork rib based soup or
stew. "Yau char kwai" a type of chinese fried pastry, and Taupok is
dried bean curd. Here obviously the creators of the CyberKuali site
assume that a large percentage of their readers not only know what
"Bak kut teh" is but, know it well enough to offer a reasonable
opinions as to what would make good side dishes. As I write this the
poll results a

Rice - 9%
Mushrooms - 6%
Yau char kwai - 38%
Taupok - 8%
Rice and at least one of the others - 39%

As for good French food websites, I don't know, and really ought to
given that after the United States, France is Canada's closest
neighbor (granted Canada is only close to a VERY small corner of
France, but hey, as neighbors go, while you could do somewhat better
than France, you could also do a LOT worse...).

Colin.
Colin McGregor

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:54:46 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:38:48 GMT, Colin McGregor
> wrote:
>

>>There are two Asian food websites I can recomend...

>Don't even orther aneering this guy. He posts this same thing once a
>month just to advertise the websites in his .sig.
>
>That's pretty low. Some honest poeple take him seriously and take the
>time to put some thought into answering his request, but he doesn't
>give a crap about what you might have to say; he's just spamming.
>
>It's people like this I'd like to introduce to a basball bat.

Bummer, oh well, he can now join "The Wolf" in my rec.food.cooking
kill file doubling the size of that previously very exclusive kill
file.

As for baseball bats, well, no, this is a food news group so the
punishment should fit the crime. How about requiring that he eat his
computer (and give him the choice of having it with or without salt)
:-)

Colin.
someone

Colin McGregor > wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:54:46 -0500, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:38:48 GMT, Colin McGregor
> > wrote:
> >

> >>There are two Asian food websites I can recomend...

> >Don't even orther aneering this guy. He posts this same thing once a
> >month just to advertise the websites in his .sig.
> >
> >That's pretty low. Some honest poeple take him seriously and take the
> >time to put some thought into answering his request, but he doesn't
> >give a crap about what you might have to say; he's just spamming.
> >
> >It's people like this I'd like to introduce to a basball bat.

> Bummer, oh well, he can now join "The Wolf" in my rec.food.cooking
> kill file doubling the size of that previously very exclusive kill
> file.
>
> As for baseball bats, well, no, this is a food news group so the
> punishment should fit the crime. How about requiring that he eat his
> computer (and give him the choice of having it with or without salt)
> :-)
>
> Colin.

Never mind, Colin, some of us pop in and out of this NG from time to time
and, as a serious foodie, I've bookmarked your nice URLs for a further
lookin. If you'd not posted 'em, I wouldn't have seen 'em :-)

Thanks, from s.