FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pumpkin Martini (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/106334-pumpkin-martini.html)

King's Crown 09-11-2006 04:59 AM

Pumpkin Martini

Well, that's what the recipe book called it. Not regulation, but after a
few of my own tweaks it was very good. I don't normally like anything on
the rim of my glass, but a friend I had over insisted. I was glad she did
as I really enjoyed it.

1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
3 ounces of half and half
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 T brown sugar
1 ounce canned pumpkin

Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake ingredients
all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.

Lynne

notbob 09-11-2006 05:32 AM

Pumpkin Martini

On 2006-11-09, King's Crown > wrote:

> ...vanilla vodka
> ...half and half
> ...pumpkin pie spice
> ...brown sugar
> ...canned pumpkin
>
> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim.

Martini, my ass! I got somethin' brown around the rim for ya'.

nb

Dave Smith[_1_] 09-11-2006 05:35 AM

Pumpkin Martini

King's Crown wrote:

> Well, that's what the recipe book called it. Not regulation, but after a
> few of my own tweaks it was very good. I don't normally like anything on
> the rim of my glass, but a friend I had over insisted. I was glad she did
> as I really enjoyed it.
>
> 1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
> 3 ounces of half and half
> 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
> 1 T brown sugar
> 1 ounce canned pumpkin
>
> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake ingredients
> all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.

My gawd. That sounds really disgusting.
The closest it comes to a martini is the glass.
If you have enough of them you may get drunk enough to call it a
Pumpkin Mai Tai.

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 09-11-2006 06:47 AM

Pumpkin Martini

Oh pshaw, on Wed 08 Nov 2006 11:19:15p, Steve Pope meant to say...

> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>King's Crown wrote:

>>> 1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
>>> 3 ounces of half and half
>>> 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
>>> 1 T brown sugar
>>> 1 ounce canned pumpkin

>>> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake

ingredients
>>> all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.

>>My gawd. That sounds really disgusting.
>>The closest it comes to a martini is the glass.
>>If you have enough of them you may get drunk enough to call it a
>>Pumpkin Mai Tai.

> Sounds almost as bad as a "Billy Bragg" -- a vodka martini
> made with a squirt of Bragg's Liquid Aminos, and garnished with an
> edamame pod.
>
> Thinking about it, at least the Billy Bragg isn't sweet.

But not as bad as a "Phillips Screwdriver"... 1 part vodka to 2 parts
Phillips Milk of Magnesia.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(I may not agree with a word you say, but I shall
defend unto my death your right to say it. (Voltaire)

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 09-11-2006 07:13 AM

Pumpkin Martini

Oh pshaw, on Thu 09 Nov 2006 12:08:18a, meant to say...

> On 9 Nov 2006 07:47:18 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>But not as bad as a "Phillips Screwdriver"... 1 part vodka to 2 parts
>>Phillips Milk of Magnesia.

> Eeeeew! Does that really exist or is it a joke?

Back in the day... It was introduced as a drink to ward off an upset
stomach, then later became a joke. These days it's listsed as a drink of
vodka and Sunny Delight. I'd rather have the Milk of Magnesia. :-)

Steve Pope 09-11-2006 07:19 AM

Pumpkin Martini

Dave Smith > wrote:

>King's Crown wrote:

>> 1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
>> 3 ounces of half and half
>> 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
>> 1 T brown sugar
>> 1 ounce canned pumpkin

>> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake ingredients
>> all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.

>My gawd. That sounds really disgusting.
>The closest it comes to a martini is the glass.
>If you have enough of them you may get drunk enough to call it a
>Pumpkin Mai Tai.

Sounds almost as bad as a "Billy Bragg" -- a vodka martini
made with a squirt of Bragg's Liquid Aminos, and garnished with an
edamame pod.

Thinking about it, at least the Billy Bragg isn't sweet.

S.

sf[_3_] 09-11-2006 08:08 AM

Pumpkin Martini

On 9 Nov 2006 07:47:18 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>But not as bad as a "Phillips Screwdriver"... 1 part vodka to 2 parts
>Phillips Milk of Magnesia.

Eeeeew! Does that really exist or is it a joke?

--
See return address to reply by email

Sheldon 09-11-2006 02:45 PM

Pumpkin Martini

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-11-09, King's Crown > wrote:
>
> > ...vanilla vodka
> > ...half and half
> > ...pumpkin pie spice
> > ...brown sugar
> > ...canned pumpkin
> >
> > Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim.

> Martini, my ass! I got somethin' brown around the rim for ya'.

Wouldn't that be a pile driver; vodka + prune juice.

Sheldon

Nancy Young 09-11-2006 03:33 PM

Pumpkin Martini

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Wouldn't that be a pile driver; vodka + prune juice.

(laughing!!) That's hilarious.

nancy

Bob (this one) 09-11-2006 03:37 PM

Pumpkin Martini

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-11-09, King's Crown > wrote:
>
>> ...vanilla vodka
>> ...half and half
>> ...pumpkin pie spice
>> ...brown sugar
>> ...canned pumpkin
>>
>> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim.

> Martini, my ass! I got somethin' brown around the rim for ya'.

<LOLOL> Tea all over the monitor...

Pastorio

King's Crown 09-11-2006 03:55 PM

Pumpkin Martini

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "King's Crown" >
> :
>
>> Well, that's what the recipe book called it. Not regulation, but
>> after a few of my own tweaks it was very good. I don't normally like
>> anything on the rim of my glass, but a friend I had over insisted. I
>> was glad she did as I really enjoyed it.
>>
>> 1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
>> 3 ounces of half and half
>> 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
>> 1 T brown sugar
>> 1 ounce canned pumpkin
>>
>> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake
>> ingredients all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.
>>
>> Lynne

> Lynne, I am not a martini purist by any stretch of the imagination. First
> of all, I don't like gin (got way sick on it in college ;(, which is the
> purist's choice for a "regulation" martini. I use vodka in my martinis.
> I have tasted many sweet vodka martinis, out of curiosity. Didn't care
> for
> any of them. I have to say, the recipe you posted sounds revolting to me
> but people that like the sweet flavored vodkas may like it. Personally I
> like my martinis with unflavored vodka and a splash of olive juice. The
> only flavored vodka I like for vodka martinis is Peppar.
>
> Michael
> --

The sweeter the better for me. Although this vodka straight out of the
bottle tasted worse than vanilla extract. I probably won't be getting it
again. Vodka with a splash of olive juice makes me think someone is mixing
up a glass of poison.... something to be served on Halloween. Isn't life
wonderful we can all enjoy our mixed drinks any way we please.

Lynne

Kate Connally 09-11-2006 04:34 PM

Pumpkin Martini

King's Crown wrote:

> Well, that's what the recipe book called it. Not regulation, but after a
> few of my own tweaks it was very good. I don't normally like anything on
> the rim of my glass, but a friend I had over insisted. I was glad she did
> as I really enjoyed it.
>
> 1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
> 3 ounces of half and half
> 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
> 1 T brown sugar
> 1 ounce canned pumpkin
>
> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake ingredients
> all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.
>
> Lynne

Hmmm? Did we fast forward to April 1 while I was asleep
last night?

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Pan Ohco 09-11-2006 05:01 PM

Pumpkin Martini

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:55:55 GMT, jay > wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:59:15 -0800, King's Crown wrote:
>
><unusualmartini>
>>
>> Lynne

>I tried another unusual martini yesterday. It is cucumber infused and the
>best gin martini I EVER had. Sometimes what sounds weird *is* and sometimes
>we can be pleasantly surprised.

I prefer a Cajun Martini. Put a couple of jalapenos in your bottle of
gin, let age, and then make a martini.

TammyM[_1_] 09-11-2006 05:34 PM

Pumpkin Martini

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:24:26 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>Lynne, I am not a martini purist by any stretch of the imagination. First
>of all, I don't like gin (got way sick on it in college ;(, which is the
>purist's choice for a "regulation" martini. I use vodka in my martinis.
>I have tasted many sweet vodka martinis, out of curiosity. Didn't care for
>any of them. I have to say, the recipe you posted sounds revolting to me
>but people that like the sweet flavored vodkas may like it. Personally I
>like my martinis with unflavored vodka and a splash of olive juice. The
>only flavored vodka I like for vodka martinis is Peppar.

Hmmmmmm, pepper vodka? That actually sounds nice, and I'm not a
flavored vodka person either. Will have to give that a try, sounds
good for a bloody mary too.

TammyM

Puester 09-11-2006 06:02 PM

Pumpkin Martini

King's Crown wrote:
> Well, that's what the recipe book called it. Not regulation, but after a
> few of my own tweaks it was very good. I don't normally like anything on
> the rim of my glass, but a friend I had over insisted. I was glad she did
> as I really enjoyed it.
>
> 1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
> 3 ounces of half and half
> 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
> 1 T brown sugar
> 1 ounce canned pumpkin
>
> Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake ingredients
> all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.
>
> Lynne

Wow, No offense intended, but that sounds just AWFUL.

gloria p

Peter A 09-11-2006 06:24 PM

Pumpkin Martini

In article >,
says...
> King's Crown wrote:
> > Well, that's what the recipe book called it. Not regulation, but after a
> > few of my own tweaks it was very good. I don't normally like anything on
> > the rim of my glass, but a friend I had over insisted. I was glad she did
> > as I really enjoyed it.
> >
> > 1 1/2 ounces of vanilla vodka
> > 3 ounces of half and half
> > 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
> > 1 T brown sugar
> > 1 ounce canned pumpkin
> >
> > Prepare Martini glass with brown sugar around the rim. Shake ingredients
> > all together with a few ice cubes and then strain.
> >
> > Lynne
> >

> Wow, No offense intended, but that sounds just AWFUL.
>
> gloria p

Doesn't it? It sounds like dessert, not a drink.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at

notbob 10-11-2006 12:07 AM

Pumpkin Martini

On 2006-11-09, TammyM > wrote:

> Hmmmmmm, pepper vodka? That actually sounds nice, and I'm not a
> flavored vodka person either. Will have to give that a try, sounds
> good for a bloody mary too.

Tammy! ...a Cajun bloody mary using Absolut Peppar with an oyster
shooter. Yum!

Cajun Bloody Mary
1 1/4oz. Absolut Peppar
Clamato Juice
Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco Sauce
just a scrinch of lemon

nb

TammyM[_1_] 10-11-2006 12:21 AM

Pumpkin Martini

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:07:21 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-11-09, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> Hmmmmmm, pepper vodka? That actually sounds nice, and I'm not a
>> flavored vodka person either. Will have to give that a try, sounds
>> good for a bloody mary too.

>Tammy! ...a Cajun bloody mary using Absolut Peppar with an oyster
>shooter. Yum!
>
>Cajun Bloody Mary
>1 1/4oz. Absolut Peppar
>Clamato Juice
>Worcestershire Sauce
>Tabasco Sauce
>just a scrinch of lemon

SWOON! But I looked for pepper (we're talking PEPPER, right, as in
salt and ...?) vodka. Jesus Henry, they have your mandarin orange
vodka, your grapefruit vodka, your CRANBERRY vodka ... oh my god, I
must have been living under a rock not to notice this proliferation of
truly weird stuff!

But pepper vodka sounds really nice... <shrug> Go figure!

TammyM

notbob 10-11-2006 12:35 AM

Pumpkin Martini

On 2006-11-09, TammyM > wrote:

> SWOON! But I looked for pepper (we're talking PEPPER, right, as in
> salt and ...?)

No, we're talking pepper as in chile pepper (cayanne, jalapeno, etc).
Wussies need not apply. ;)

nb

TammyM[_1_] 10-11-2006 12:59 AM

Pumpkin Martini

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:35:59 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-11-09, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> SWOON! But I looked for pepper (we're talking PEPPER, right, as in
>> salt and ...?)

>No, we're talking pepper as in chile pepper (cayanne, jalapeno, etc).
>Wussies need not apply. ;)

I was referring to the spelling, not the heat, people kept typing it
"peppar" :-)

TammyM, occasional wuss