FoodBanter.com

-   -   Question re Pace Piquante sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/105861-question-re-pace-piquante.html)

biig 04-11-2006 03:11 PM

Question re Pace Piquante sauce

I have a recipe that calls for this, but don't have any. I do,
however, have a jar of medium spice salsa. Are they a similar product?
tia....Sharon

The Ranger 04-11-2006 03:42 PM

biig > wrote in message

> I have a recipe that calls for this, but don't have any.
> I do, however, have a jar of medium spice salsa. Are
> they a similar product?

Yes. Pace makes average salsas that all have similar consistencies
and ingredients. Almost any other jarred salsa will be the same.
Even one made in New York City.

The Ranger

biig 04-11-2006 04:24 PM

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> biig > :
>

> > I have a recipe that calls for this, but don't have any. I do,
> > however, have a jar of medium spice salsa. Are they a similar product?
> > tia....Sharon
> >

> There are Salsas and then there are salsas. Whatcha' making? Generally, in
> my experience, any recipe calling for a name brand product is put out by
> the manufacturers' kitchens. Natually the manufacturer will want you to buy
> their product for the ingredients. Unless of course, a very specific
> ingredient is called for in the recipe for a specific reason. You didn't
> post the recipe so I'll just take a stab at it and say just about any salsa
> will do.
>
> Michael

It's called Mexicorn Lasagne and I'm guessing the salsa will do, but
haven't made this before and I have people coming for supper tomorrow.
I've been under the weather and this seems the easiest thing to serve,
considering what ingredients in my pantry and freezer

1 lb ground beef
1 can drained kernel corn (I'll use frozen)
1 can 15 oz tomato sauce
1 cup Pace Picante sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 carton 16 oz low fat cottage cheese
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tsp oregano leaves, crushed (I only have dried)
1/2 tsp garlic salt (I'll use granules)
12 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar

Brown meat in lg. skillet, drain. Add corn, tomato sauce, picante
sauce, chili powder and cumin. Simmer, stirring frequently 5 min.
Combine cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic salt.
Mix well. Arrange 6 tortillas on botton and up sides of lightly greased
13x9x2 inch baking dish, overlapping as necessary. Top with half the
meat mixture. Spoon the cheese mixture over the meat. Arrange
remaining tortillas over cheese, overlapping as necessary. Top with
remaining meat mixture. Bake in preheated over at 375 for about 30
mins. or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with
cheddar cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving with additional
picante sauce.

Janet B. 04-11-2006 04:45 PM

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:
>>
>> biig > :
>>

>> > I have a recipe that calls for this, but don't have any. I do,
>> > however, have a jar of medium spice salsa. Are they a similar product?
>> > tia....Sharon
>> >

>> There are Salsas and then there are salsas. Whatcha' making? Generally,
>> in
>> my experience, any recipe calling for a name brand product is put out by
>> the manufacturers' kitchens. Natually the manufacturer will want you to
>> buy
>> their product for the ingredients. Unless of course, a very specific
>> ingredient is called for in the recipe for a specific reason. You
>> didn't
>> post the recipe so I'll just take a stab at it and say just about any
>> salsa
>> will do.
>>
>> Michael

> It's called Mexicorn Lasagne and I'm guessing the salsa will do, but
> haven't made this before and I have people coming for supper tomorrow.
> I've been under the weather and this seems the easiest thing to serve,
> considering what ingredients in my pantry and freezer
>
> 1 lb ground beef
> 1 can drained kernel corn (I'll use frozen)
> 1 can 15 oz tomato sauce
> 1 cup Pace Picante sauce
> 1 tbsp chili powder
> 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
> 1 carton 16 oz low fat cottage cheese
> 2 eggs, slightly beaten
> 1/4 cup grated parmesan
> 1 tsp oregano leaves, crushed (I only have dried)
> 1/2 tsp garlic salt (I'll use granules)
> 12 corn tortillas
> 1 cup shredded cheddar
>
> Brown meat in lg. skillet, drain. Add corn, tomato sauce, picante
> sauce, chili powder and cumin. Simmer, stirring frequently 5 min.
> Combine cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic salt.
> Mix well. Arrange 6 tortillas on botton and up sides of lightly greased
> 13x9x2 inch baking dish, overlapping as necessary. Top with half the
> meat mixture. Spoon the cheese mixture over the meat. Arrange
> remaining tortillas over cheese, overlapping as necessary. Top with
> remaining meat mixture. Bake in preheated over at 375 for about 30
> mins. or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with
> cheddar cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving with additional
> picante sauce.

Except for the cottage cheese, you are making an open-faced enchilada
casserole. Any salsa or sauces will work. I often use what I have on
hand -- after all, what I have on hand has the flavors that I prefer anyway.
Janet

Mr Libido Incognito 05-11-2006 02:29 AM

Question re Pace Piquante sauce

jay wrote on 04 Nov 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> How do you see them different?

In general:

picant sauce is cooked as in at least enough to jar/can/preserve.

salsa is raw ...raw veggies cut up and mixed and allowed to rest so juices
and flavour meld.(roughly speaking)

biig 05-11-2006 02:52 PM

Question re Pace Piquante sauce

Snipped some good stuff

The casserole is in the fridge now to be reheated this supper time.
I think it'll turn out fine. I'll serve it with some more salsa,
shredded lettuce and sour cream for toppings....thanks a bunch to
all....Sharon

[email protected] 06-11-2006 08:09 PM

Steve Wertz wrote:

> "Picante" is a just a marketing word for "salsa".

Marketing? Hey, it's a Spanish word.

eg.

Un chile habanera es mas picante que un chile poblano.

Entiendes?

Ted

Denise~* 07-11-2006 01:12 AM

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 01:29:22 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>
> > In general:
> >
> > picant sauce is cooked as in at least enough to jar/can/preserve.
> >
> > salsa is raw ...raw veggies cut up and mixed and allowed to rest so juices
> > and flavour meld.(roughly speaking)

> Which is BS, IMNSHO. Hers is salsa in a jar, so it can't be
> fresh. I guess that makes it picante sauce - they (and 200 other
> manufacturers) just labeled it wrong?
>
> "Picante" is a just a marketing word for "salsa".
>
> -sw

in Spanish, Picante means 'spicy' and Salsa means any dressing,
including '1000 Island' or 'Ranch'.

biig 07-11-2006 03:24 PM

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 01:29:22 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>
> > In general:
> >
> > picant sauce is cooked as in at least enough to jar/can/preserve.
> >
> > salsa is raw ...raw veggies cut up and mixed and allowed to rest so juices
> > and flavour meld.(roughly speaking)

> Which is BS, IMNSHO. Hers is salsa in a jar, so it can't be
> fresh. I guess that makes it picante sauce - they (and 200 other
> manufacturers) just labeled it wrong?
>
> "Picante" is a just a marketing word for "salsa".
>
> -sw

The cassserole turned out just fine.....thanks for all the input..