Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you warm plates before serving food?

When Matt and I married, we received a wonderful set of thick dishes
that are just lovely, and we use that as our regular dinnerware.
(Wedding china, puh-lease! Not in my lifetime!) Now that I've been
plating food onto this set for 2 years, I'm starting to think that
putting hot food on the cold plate is diminishing the taste of the food
(I hate hate hate lukewarm dinners).

My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
for her to do that. I have an electric oven, plus I *do* bake (just
posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
what my other options might be.

Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
you use the oven or some other technique?

June

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> When Matt and I married, we received a wonderful set of thick dishes
> that are just lovely, and we use that as our regular dinnerware.
> (Wedding china, puh-lease! Not in my lifetime!) Now that I've been
> plating food onto this set for 2 years, I'm starting to think that
> putting hot food on the cold plate is diminishing the taste of the food
> (I hate hate hate lukewarm dinners).
>
> My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
> to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
> literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
> for her to do that. I have an electric oven, plus I *do* bake (just
> posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
> what my other options might be.
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?
>
> June

I warm plates if I doing something formal-ish for a number of people
where the time to plate everything might allow things to cool too much.
For dinner for 1 or 2 I don't generally bother since the plating time is
minimal. As for heating the plates, I just put them in the oven. Most
plates are oven safe these days so they just go in at the lowest setting
if I'm not using the oven otherwise, or if I'm using the oven they just
go in for a short while to heat.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?

I haven't really thought of doing that on a regular basis.
Since my 'new' oven has a warming drawer, there isn't
really any good reason why I don't. If nothing else, if it's
cold out, my dishes are *cold* ... I guess I should have
thought more about the insulation when I had my kitchen
replaced.

Thanks for the heads up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 07:10:53a, meant to say...

> When Matt and I married, we received a wonderful set of thick dishes
> that are just lovely, and we use that as our regular dinnerware.
> (Wedding china, puh-lease! Not in my lifetime!) Now that I've been
> plating food onto this set for 2 years, I'm starting to think that
> putting hot food on the cold plate is diminishing the taste of the food
> (I hate hate hate lukewarm dinners).
>
> My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
> to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
> literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
> for her to do that. I have an electric oven, plus I *do* bake (just
> posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
> what my other options might be.
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?

Your hamantaschen look delicious. I have never made them, but have had
homemade and also some excellent ones from a Jewish bakery.

Plate warming, yes, when I think of it. I especially like to do it for
pasta dishes. Nothing puts me off more than cold pasta.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must try to kill the curlicues of ribbon on
the finished packages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Do you warm plates before serving food?
> Do you think it's worth it? Do you use the
> oven or some other technique?

I use a Salton warming tray which I've had for about
30 years. Works great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> When Matt and I married, we received a wonderful set of thick dishes
> that are just lovely, and we use that as our regular dinnerware.

Those thick (stoneware) dishes heat easily with hot tap water. It's
not wise to heat any dinnerware in an oven.

> Now that I've been
> plating food onto this set for 2 years, I'm starting to think that
> putting hot food on the cold plate is diminishing the taste of the food

Why are your plates cold? Mine are at room temperature, like 70-72ºF
is not cold.

> My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
> to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
> literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
> for her to do that. I have an electric oven.

Then she's wasting fuel, by shutting off her oven pilot light her
savings in fifteen years coulda bought a second honeymoon. Anyway,
tell her to dump that obsolete stove, if it's got pilot lights it's a
relic, but more importantly it's a real danger... instead of concerning
your self with fercocktah warm dishes take care of your mom's stove
problem.... your priororties are skewed.

>I *do* bake (just
> posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
> what my other options might be.
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?

I don't like heated dishes, espeially not those stupid red hot metal
platters used by steakhouses... why do they think I want my med-rare
steak to continue to cook to well done before I'm halfway through, and
the juices evaporate. Steak houses who use those stupid metal
platters know noting about beef, they even serve those fercocktah
serrated knives... why, are their steaks so tough you need to saw your
way through them.

I think people who warm dishes tend to over do it... room temperature
works fine fo rme. I find my room temperature dishes are fine for
serving hot foods if the food is hot when served. It's cold dishes I'm
more particular about... when I serve salads I chill the dishes in the
fridge, and especially cold desserts, who wants cheesecake served on a
warm plate, or ice cream, yuck. I find room temperature cups work fine
for coffee, but I like to chill my mar2ni glasses.

A lot of caterers warm dinner plates with a large tub of hot water that
contains a wire plate rack... kind of like the old fashioned baby
bottle sterilzer... a short dip into hot water heats and also cleans
the plates, when pulled out they air dry in like 15 seconds and ready
to stack, they're heated but not so hot that they can't be handled.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 09:35:17a, meant to say...

> On 4 Nov 2006 07:19:55 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>>Why are your plates cold? Mine are at room temperature, like 70-72ºF
>>is not cold.

> Good lord man, you actually live at that temperature? I'd bake to
> death.

And what is your room temperature in the summer? Do you bake then?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must try to kill the curlicues of ribbon on
the finished packages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Nov 2006 06:10:53 -0800, " >
wrote:

>Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
>you use the oven or some other technique?

There ya go Cathy.... another survey for the web site!

I love warm plates and do it quite often. Not all the time, but
enough to say "yes" I do it and I think it's worth doing. If my
kitchen is "ever" remodeled - I'd have a warming drawer and the main
items I'd warm would be my plates.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-04, Andy <q> wrote:

> I don't live at a Four Seasons hotel so of course I don't warm the
> plates.

What does the location of your abode have to do with it? You warm
plates to keep the food you place on them from getting cold because
the cold plate sucks all the heat away from the food.

> That's so absurd. Especially since I eat off paper plates!

My m/w has a paper plate warming cycle.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Nov 2006 07:19:55 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Why are your plates cold? Mine are at room temperature, like 70-72ºF
>is not cold.

Good lord man, you actually live at that temperature? I'd bake to
death.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-04, sf <sf> wrote:

> Good lord man, you actually live at that temperature? I'd bake to
> death.

The ambient temp in my place is currently at 75 def F. This with no
heat, no air, just everyday temps where I live. 'Course I dress near
nekkid till I go out.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 10:16:52a, meant to say...

> On 4 Nov 2006 17:48:32 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 09:35:17a, meant to say...

>>> Good lord man, you actually live at that temperature? I'd bake to
>>> death.
>>>

>>And what is your room temperature in the summer? Do you bake then?

> You forget where I live, Wayne... I'm in a microclimate where the
> hotter it is inland, the colder it is at my house. My furnace is on
> in the middle of summer and my version of air conditioning is busting
> out a fan once or twice a year.

I didn't realize the climate was quite like that where you're at.
Conversely, our air conditioning is frequently on during the daytime in the
middle of winter. Even if it's 60-something outside, the sun warms the
interior to 80. There's too much dust in the desert for frequently open
windows.

--
Wayne Boatwright

A light heart lives long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Nov 2006 17:48:32 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 09:35:17a, meant to say...
>
>> On 4 Nov 2006 07:19:55 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>>
>>>Why are your plates cold? Mine are at room temperature, like 70-72ºF
>>>is not cold.

>> Good lord man, you actually live at that temperature? I'd bake to
>> death.
>>

>And what is your room temperature in the summer? Do you bake then?

You forget where I live, Wayne... I'm in a microclimate where the
hotter it is inland, the colder it is at my house. My furnace is on
in the middle of summer and my version of air conditioning is busting
out a fan once or twice a year.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:55:23 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>That's so absurd. Especially since I eat off paper plates!

Warm paper plates.... maybe it's time to invent a paper plate you can
warm in the microwave.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:55:23 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>That's so absurd. Especially since I eat off paper plates!

> Warm paper plates.... maybe it's time to invent a paper plate you can
> warm in the microwave.

sf,

But... but... warm paper plates are not the goal!

<smootch>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message:
> My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
> to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
> literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
> for her to do that. I have an electric oven, plus I *do* bake (just
> posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
> what my other options might be.
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?

I do it all the time. I've also got an old gas stove with pilot lights. Two
ovens like that, as it's one of those old double oven stoves. The upper oven
gets used as a plate warmer, and also for baking smaller things.

The normal scenario is cooking for 1 or 2. The plates go in at the start of
cooking. Aside from warming the plates, I also often put cooked food on them
and put them back in the oven if things don't get done all at the same time,
or can't be done at the same time, as in making a pan sauce after sauteing
the meat. Since the oven is directly over the cooktop, it's very convenient.

The oven with pilot lights also comes in handy for drying the last bit of
moisture off of things that might rust before storing them, like my tinned
steel egg poachers. Such an oven is also good for rising yeast doughs.

My normal winter thermostat setting is 68 degrees, so it is cool in the
house.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> When Matt and I married, we received a wonderful set of thick dishes
> that are just lovely, and we use that as our regular dinnerware.
> (Wedding china, puh-lease! Not in my lifetime!) Now that I've been
> plating food onto this set for 2 years, I'm starting to think that
> putting hot food on the cold plate is diminishing the taste of the food
> (I hate hate hate lukewarm dinners).
>
> My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
> to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
> literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
> for her to do that. I have an electric oven, plus I *do* bake (just
> posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
> what my other options might be.
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?

No, I don't warm plates, nor have I ever met anyone else who does. The
only time I eat off a warm plate is in a restaurant, and even that is a
rare occurrence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> When Matt and I married, we received a wonderful set of thick dishes
> that are just lovely, and we use that as our regular dinnerware.
> (Wedding china, puh-lease! Not in my lifetime!) Now that I've been
> plating food onto this set for 2 years, I'm starting to think that
> putting hot food on the cold plate is diminishing the taste of the food
> (I hate hate hate lukewarm dinners).
>
> My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
> to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
> literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
> for her to do that. I have an electric oven, plus I *do* bake (just
> posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
> what my other options might be.
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?
>
> June

Religiously June!
My mother was a fantastic cook and we're attempting to follow in her
footsteps. She always heated the plates. I've done this ever since I
started preparing dinners.
If the oven has been on to cook the meal, I turn it off and ready the
meal to serve at the table. While I'm doing this, the plates go in the
off-oven. If the oven has not been used, I just pop the plates in sink
and let v. hot water run over them.
Even for just hubby and me, we always eat at the dinner table, and
serve from platters - eg. sides, salads, vegetables, rice. Those plates
get heated as well. Call me an old fashioned girl or a dinasaur
(Bronnie-saurus) if you will, but perhaps thats why hubby and I are
still best mates after 26 years! The Wedgwood gets used daily. Don't
get me started on serviettes.

--
Cheers
Bronnie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:50:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:

>No, I don't warm plates

We use warmed plates (175F) every meal..and warmed soup bowls. Why
would any civilized person not demand a warmed plate?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have an round iron griddle "Lodge" I think. We use it to heat tortillas.
When we get a paper plate full warm for dinner, we put the plate on the
still warm griddle and move the whole thing to the table on top of a pot
holder. The tortillas stay warm for quite a while. *S

I know, it's kinda off topic but it might help someone.

Regards,

Stan-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>The
>only time I eat off a warm plate is in a restaurant, and even that is a
>rare occurrence.

I guess you don't eat in many Mexican restaurants.... they give you
HOT plates (at least here).

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> I guess you don't eat in many Mexican restaurants.... they give you
> HOT plates (at least here).

Here too. Smoking hot in a wooden carrier and with a warning not to
touch the plate.

leo 'near Reno'

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:50:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
> wrote:
>
>>No, I don't warm plates

> We use warmed plates (175F) every meal..and warmed soup bowls. Why
> would any civilized person not demand a warmed plate?

I don't warm plates, but I do warm my cup before pouring the coffee in... I
detest coffee that's not hot.

Was treated to dinner at Ruth's Chris recently -- the steaks come out
sizzling on 500F plates -- now that's carrying it a bit far!

Segue

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Segue wrote:
> "Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:50:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> No, I don't warm plates

>> We use warmed plates (175F) every meal..and warmed soup bowls. Why
>> would any civilized person not demand a warmed plate?

> I don't warm plates, but I do warm my cup before pouring the coffee
> in... I detest coffee that's not hot.

That's funny; I have to put an ice cube in my husband's coffee! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote

> Here too. Smoking hot in a wooden carrier and with a warning not to
> touch the plate.

When they tell me that, I say, then let me just touch it now
and get it over with. I guess my hand just can't resist touching
the thing. Ouch.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

>> Here too. Smoking hot in a wooden carrier and with a warning not to
>> touch the plate.

> When they tell me that, I say, then let me just touch it now
> and get it over with. I guess my hand just can't resist touching
> the thing. Ouch.
>
> nancy

A million and one comebacks for that one, babe!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...
>
>>> Here too. Smoking hot in a wooden carrier and with a warning not to
>>> touch the plate.

>> When they tell me that, I say, then let me just touch it now
>> and get it over with. I guess my hand just can't resist touching
>> the thing. Ouch.

> A million and one comebacks for that one, babe!

Don't be shy, hit me with one!

Heh. nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young said...

>>> When they tell me that, I say, then let me just touch it now
>>> and get it over with. I guess my hand just can't resist touching
>>> the thing. Ouch.

>> A million and one comebacks for that one, babe!

> Don't be shy, hit me with one!
>
> Heh. nancy

Comeback #1: I told you I was HOT!!!
Comeback #1,000,001: You must be from Jersey!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...

>> "Andy" <q> wrote
>>
>>> Nancy Young said...

>>> A million and one comebacks for that one, babe!

>> Don't be shy, hit me with one!

> Comeback #1: I told you I was HOT!!!
> Comeback #1,000,001: You must be from Jersey!

You must be from Pennsylvania! I said ONE!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young said...

>>> "Andy" <q> wrote

>>> Don't be shy, hit me with one!

>> Comeback #1: I told you I was HOT!!!
>> Comeback #1,000,001: You must be from Jersey!

> You must be from Pennsylvania! I said ONE!
>
> nancy

I gave ya TWO ones and STILL you bitch??? (VBG>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
> you use the oven or some other technique?

Not all the time, but in the winter we do. It makes quite a difference on
some foods, especially something as delicate as an egg. Our cupboard for
dishes is on an outside wall and tends to be cooler than the rest of the
room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:32:38 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Segue wrote:
>>
>> I don't warm plates, but I do warm my cup before pouring the coffee
>> in... I detest coffee that's not hot.
>>

>That's funny; I have to put an ice cube in my husband's coffee! :~)

Cold cream is much tastier!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "kilikini" >
> :
>
> > Segue wrote:

> >> I don't warm plates, but I do warm my cup before pouring the coffee
> >> in... I detest coffee that's not hot.
> >>

> > That's funny; I have to put an ice cube in my husband's coffee! :~)
> >
> > kili

> LOL... Give him a mocha latte every morning. He can tip the cup with his
> pinkie raised.
>
> Michael

Heh, heh, heh, you've seen pictures! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> " wrote:
>>
>> When Matt and I married, we received a wonderful set of thick dishes
>> that are just lovely, and we use that as our regular dinnerware.
>> (Wedding china, puh-lease! Not in my lifetime!) Now that I've been
>> plating food onto this set for 2 years, I'm starting to think that
>> putting hot food on the cold plate is diminishing the taste of the food
>> (I hate hate hate lukewarm dinners).
>>
>> My mom has a gas oven and leaves a set of plates in there all the time
>> to be heated by the pilot light. She doesn't bake - I mean, she
>> literally hasn't turned on the oven in at least 15 years - so it's safe
>> for her to do that. I have an electric oven, plus I *do* bake (just
>> posted pics of hamantaschen on twosheep.com/blog), so I'm wondering
>> what my other options might be.
>>
>> Do you warm plates before serving food? Do you think it's worth it? Do
>> you use the oven or some other technique?
>>
>> June

> I warm plates if I doing something formal-ish for a number of people
> where the time to plate everything might allow things to cool too much.
> For dinner for 1 or 2 I don't generally bother since the plating time is
> minimal. As for heating the plates, I just put them in the oven. Most
> plates are oven safe these days so they just go in at the lowest setting
> if I'm not using the oven otherwise, or if I'm using the oven they just
> go in for a short while to heat.

I always warm plates in the micro wave.