Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanksgiving Gravy Nightmares

Phyllis Stone wrote:

> "skyhooks" > wrote in message
> Ward Abbott wrote:
>
>>Why does everyone have horror stories about making gravy? We all know
>>how to make a perfect béchamel sauce which is the basic, classic sauce
>>technique.
>>
>>I hear these "MIL" stories and I can't comprehend WHY gravy continues
>>to be an issue.

> For some peculiar and strange reasons, my former MIL put chopped hard
> boiled egg in her milky turkey gravy. Thankfully, T-day happened once
> only at her house (whew!), and notice that "former" is the key word!
>
> Sky, who still shudders when recalling that episode of T-day
>

> Some relative of my son's first wife did that. They made this big deal about
> memaw or someone making the gravy. They brought it from their home in this
> beautiful soup tureen and it was very white and milky with lots of boiled
> eggs. They all loved it. The tureen was pretty.

I don't know. It doesn't sound that bad to me.
Now, was it turkey gravy made with milk and eggs or
was it just "egg gravy". I like "egg gravy" which is
basically hard-boiled eggs chopped up in a thin white
sauce. That's really tasty. But I'm not sure I want
eggs in my turkey gravy even if it tastes good.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>

>>Hard boiled eggs seem to appear in many Southern dishes and, while I do
>>like hard boiled eggs, I rarely like what they put them in. Case in
>>point,
>>a popular dish in the area where my parents grew up is "Ham and Egg Pie".
>>It's comprised of largish bite sized pieces of country ham and hard boiled
>>eggs layered in a pie shell with a white sauce made with milk and ham
>>broth, covered with a top pastry and baked. It's enough to turn my
>>stomach.

> Wayne, the thought of how it must look ... gack. I have nothing
> against hard boiled eggs, I even put them in my potato salad, I know
> some people don't like that. Whatever you do, no offense meant,
> don't let me slice into a meatloaf and see that friggin slice of egg in
> the middle. I'm not big on that Hey, look! something's in my food!
> thing. Heh.

I don't mind the eggs in the meatloaf at all. It' looks really
pretty. I hardly ever make meatloaf and when I do I'm too lazy
to do the egg thing, but I like it.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 06:18:44a, Nancy Young meant to say...
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>>

>>>Hard boiled eggs seem to appear in many Southern dishes and, while I do
>>>like hard boiled eggs, I rarely like what they put them in. Case in
>>>point, a popular dish in the area where my parents grew up is "Ham and

> Egg
>
>>>Pie". It's comprised of largish bite sized pieces of country ham and

> hard
>
>>>boiled eggs layered in a pie shell with a white sauce made with milk and
>>>ham broth, covered with a top pastry and baked. It's enough to turn my
>>>stomach.

>>Wayne, the thought of how it must look ... gack. I have nothing
>>against hard boiled eggs, I even put them in my potato salad, I know
>>some people don't like that. Whatever you do, no offense meant,
>>don't let me slice into a meatloaf and see that friggin slice of egg in
>>the middle. I'm not big on that Hey, look! something's in my food!
>>thing. Heh.

> Yes, I often thought it looks like something that somebody already ate. :-
> ( I don't even like hard boiled eggs mixed in potato salad but don't mind
> them sliced as a garnish.

But hard-boiled eggs are de rigueur in classic potato
salad. Sheesh! I could see if you don't like hard-boiled
eggs at all, but I if you like them I can't see how you
wouldn't want them in potato salad. Now the pickle juice
and mustard - that's another story. Blecch! :-)

> In a meatloaf? Ugh! I was also once served a
> plate of spaghetti with meat sauce that "featured"
> a whole hard boiled egg
> sitting in the middle under the sauce. Gack!

That sounds good. I guess I just like hard-boiled eggs
just about any way, any where, any time.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 19:29:30 GMT, "Cyndi"
> > wrote:
>
>>We call it
>>"White Wine Gravy". It's quite tasty, the recipe is always asked for and
>>the gravy itself is always requested for the holidays.

> Did you forget to include the recipe?
>

> ==========

Okay.... It's all done by taste and feel....

Slightly brown some flour. Add equal amount of butter. Stir in white wine
and later, some milk. Let reduce, season (hmmm... this changes a little bit
because I never remember to write down what I did the last time...LOL):
salt, pepper, Everglades Heat, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, and sometimes
oregano. Oh, a sprinkle of whatever Penzeys seasoning is handy, too!
Repeat if necessary due to all of the numerous tastings.

That's the basics. Maybe this year I'll actually attempt to write it down
as I make it.

Cyndi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 06 Nov 2006 11:38:00a, Kate Connally meant to say...

... Ward Abbott wrote:

>>>For some peculiar and strange reasons, my former MIL put chopped hard
>>>boiled egg in her milky turkey gravy. Thankfully, T-day happened once
>>>only at her house (whew!), and notice that "former" is the key word!
>>>
>>>Sky, who still shudders when recalling that episode of T-day
>>>
>>>I saw that on the Paula Dean show. She puts chopped hard boiled egg in
>>>her turkey gravy. Maybe it is a Southern tradition?
>>>Janet

>> Yes, chopped or sliced hard boiled egg is a typical addition to many a
>> Southerner's giblet gravy. I would always ask my grandmother to leave
>> out some gravy that didn't have egg.
>>
>> Hard boiled eggs seem to appear in many Southern dishes and, while I do
>> like hard boiled eggs, I rarely like what they put them in. Case in
>> point, a popular dish in the area where my parents grew up is "Ham and
>> Egg Pie". It's comprised of largish bite sized pieces of country ham
>> and hard boiled eggs layered in a pie shell with a white sauce made
>> with milk and ham broth, covered with a top pastry and baked. It's
>> enough to turn my stomach.

> Hmm. Sounds good to me.
>
> Kate

You may have my portion, Kate! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

If you don't go to other people's funerals, they
won't go to yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 06 Nov 2006 11:44:00a, Kate Connally meant to say...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>>

>>>Hard boiled eggs seem to appear in many Southern dishes and, while I do
>>>like hard boiled eggs, I rarely like what they put them in. Case in
>>>point, a popular dish in the area where my parents grew up is "Ham and

Egg
>>>Pie". It's comprised of largish bite sized pieces of country ham and

hard
>>>boiled eggs layered in a pie shell with a white sauce made with milk and
>>>ham broth, covered with a top pastry and baked. It's enough to turn my
>>>stomach.

>> Wayne, the thought of how it must look ... gack. I have nothing
>> against hard boiled eggs, I even put them in my potato salad, I know
>> some people don't like that. Whatever you do, no offense meant, don't

let
>> me slice into a meatloaf and see that friggin slice of egg in the

middle.
>> I'm not big on that Hey, look! something's in my food! thing. Heh.

> I don't mind the eggs in the meatloaf at all. It' looks really
> pretty. I hardly ever make meatloaf and when I do I'm too lazy
> to do the egg thing, but I like it.
> Kate

LOL! You may also have my portion of the meatloaf. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

If you don't go to other people's funerals, they
won't go to yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 06 Nov 2006 11:49:09a, Kate Connally meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 06:18:44a, Nancy Young meant to say...
>>

>>>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

>> Egg

>> hard

>>>Wayne, the thought of how it must look ... gack. I have nothing
>>>against hard boiled eggs, I even put them in my potato salad, I know
>>>some people don't like that. Whatever you do, no offense meant, don't
>>>let me slice into a meatloaf and see that friggin slice of egg in the
>>>middle. I'm not big on that Hey, look! something's in my food! thing.
>>>Heh.

>> Yes, I often thought it looks like something that somebody already ate.
>> :- ( I don't even like hard boiled eggs mixed in potato salad but
>> don't mind them sliced as a garnish.

> But hard-boiled eggs are de rigueur in classic potato
> salad. Sheesh! I could see if you don't like hard-boiled
> eggs at all, but I if you like them I can't see how you
> wouldn't want them in potato salad. Now the pickle juice
> and mustard - that's another story. Blecch! :-)

I guess I'm just funny about how I like hard boiled eggs. I like egg
salad, devilled eggs, and hard boiled eggs just on their own. I don't
particularly like them added to any other dish.

>> In a meatloaf? Ugh! I was also once served a
>> plate of spaghetti with meat sauce that "featured"
> > a whole hard boiled egg sitting in the middle under the sauce. Gack!

> That sounds good. I guess I just like hard-boiled eggs
> just about any way, any where, any time.

Guess so. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

If you don't go to other people's funerals, they
won't go to yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 06 Nov 2006 04:07:32p, Cyndi meant to say...

> <sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 19:29:30 GMT, "Cyndi"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>We call it
>>>"White Wine Gravy". It's quite tasty, the recipe is always asked for
>>>and the gravy itself is always requested for the holidays.

>> Did you forget to include the recipe?
>>

>> ==========

> Okay.... It's all done by taste and feel....

Touchy feely, huh? :-)

> Slightly brown some flour. Add equal amount of butter. Stir in white
> wine and later, some milk. Let reduce, season (hmmm... this changes a
> little bit because I never remember to write down what I did the last
> time...LOL): salt, pepper, Everglades Heat, thyme, basil, rosemary,
> sage, and sometimes oregano. Oh, a sprinkle of whatever Penzeys
> seasoning is handy, too! Repeat if necessary due to all of the numerous
> tastings.
>
> That's the basics. Maybe this year I'll actually attempt to write it
> down as I make it.

Sounds like a very tasty variation!

--
Wayne Boatwright

If you don't go to other people's funerals, they
won't go to yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cyndi wrote:

> Okay.... It's all done by taste and feel....
>
> Slightly brown some flour. Add equal amount of butter. Stir in white wine
> and later, some milk. Let reduce, season (hmmm... this changes a little bit
> because I never remember to write down what I did the last time...LOL):
> salt, pepper, Everglades Heat, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, and sometimes
> oregano. Oh, a sprinkle of whatever Penzeys seasoning is handy, too!
> Repeat if necessary due to all of the numerous tastings.
>
> That's the basics. Maybe this year I'll actually attempt to write it down
> as I make it.
>
> Cyndi

Is it really a gravy if it doesn't include any meat drippings or stock?
It sounds more like a fancy white sauce to me?
Now, I like the idea of using wine to deglaze a poultry pan before
making gravy in the pan. I've never done it, but will try that next time
I'm doing a bird.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:14:23 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Now, I like the idea of using wine to deglaze a poultry pan before
>making gravy in the pan. I've never done it, but will try that next time
>I'm doing a bird.

Try a bit of Madeira. It makes a wonderful gravy.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006 18:40:57 -0800, "Barb" > wrote:
>
> >My MIL refuses to use flour to make gravy. She uses cornstarch and is
> >always too light on the salt so the gravy turns out like musilage.
> >Drippings? HEH the frond immediately gets hit with Palmolive and hot
> >water. And all the fat's gotta go, too.

> I can beat all your MIL gravy stories.
>
> Last year, DH and I flew to Newfoundland to visit my daughter, her
> husband, and her in-laws. This was at Canadian Thanksgiving.
>
> Daughter's MIL is not by any stretch a great cook, but she did a
> turkey and I figured the meal would be nice, if not exactly "gourmet".
>
> Well, she took the turkey out of the pan and left the pan there on the
> counter with all the lovely grease and bits of meat. She then took a
> can of *beef* broth out of the cupboard, dumped it in a saucepan, and
> thickened it with flour and water. I would never have believed it if I
> hadn't seen her do it with my own eyes.
>
> It was disgusting.
>
> Jo Anne

Jo Anne,

That's definitely the worst!

Aloha!

Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 07 Nov 2006 09:08:01a, Barb meant to say...

> [...]

>> Yes, chopped or sliced hard boiled egg is a typical addition to many a
>> Southerner's giblet gravy. I would always ask my grandmother to leave
>> out some gravy that didn't have egg.
>>
>> Hard boiled eggs seem to appear in many Southern dishes and, while I do
>> like hard boiled eggs, I rarely like what they put them in. Case in
>> poin t, a popular dish in the area where my parents grew up is "Ham and
>> Egg Pie". It's comprised of largish bite sized pieces of country ham
>> and hard boiled eggs layered in a pie shell with a white sauce made
>> with milk and ham broth, covered with a top pastry and baked. It's
>> enough to turn my stomach.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> Cats must try to kill the curlicues of ribbon on the finished packages.

> I think the southern tradition harkens back to older times. Hard boiled
> eggs were a common addition to all kinds of meat dishes, forcemeats and
> pies from Medieval through Victorian periods.
>
> The recipe below for a stuffed fowl uses just the boiled yolks, but
> many other recipes call for the whole egg. The whites were probably
> used some other way, perhaps as a garnish, as it's unlikely they would
> let them go to waste.

> EXCERPT FROM: http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec52.htm
>
> Goce or Capon Farced
>
> PERIOD: England, 15th century | SOURCE: Harleian MS. 4016 | CLASS:
> Authentic

> -------
>
> ORIGINAL RECEIPT:
>
> Goce or Capon farced. Take parcill, Swynes grece, or suet of shepe, and
> parboyle hem in faire water and fresssh boyling broth; And þen take
> yolkes of eyeron hard y-sodde, and hew hem smale, with the herbes and
> the salte; and cast therto pouder of Ginger, Peper, Canell, and salte,
> and Grapes in tyme of yere; And in oþer tyme, take oynons, and boile
> hem; and whan they ben yboiled ynowe with þe herbes and with þe suet,
> al þes togidre, þen put all in þe goos, or in þe Capon; And then
> late him roste ynogh.
>
> - Austin, Thomas. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Harleian MS. 279
> & Harl. MS. 4016, with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1429, Laud MS. 553, &
> Douce MS 55. London: for The Early English Text Society by N. Trübner
> & Co., 1888.

> -------
>
> GODE COOKERY TRANSLATION:
>
> Goose or capon stuffed. Take parsley, swine's grease, or suet of sheep,
> and parboil them in water and fresh broth; And then take hard-boiled
> egg yolks, and cut them small, with the herbs and the salt; and add
> powder of ginger, pepper, cinnamon, and salt, and grapes in time of
> year; And in other times, take onions, and boil them; and when they
> have boiled enough with the herbs and with the suet, all these
> together, then put all in the goose, or in the capon; And then let it
> roast enough.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~ END EXCERPT

That's very interesting, Barb. Thanks for posting it.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> [...]

- Austin, Thomas. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Harleian MS. 279
& Harl. MS. 4016, with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1429, Laud MS. 553, &
Douce MS 55. London: for The Early English Text Society by N. Trübner
& Co., 1888.

GODE COOKERY TRANSLATION:

Goose or capon stuffed. Take parsley, swine's grease, or suet of sheep,
and parboil them in water and fresh broth; And then take hard-boiled
egg yolks, and cut them small, with the herbs and the salt; and add
powder of ginger, pepper, cinnamon, and salt, and grapes in time of
year; And in other times, take onions, and boil them; and when they
have boiled enough with the herbs and with the suet, all these
together, then put all in the goose, or in the capon; And then let it
roast enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~ END EXCERPT

Aloha

Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"skyhooks" > wrote in message
Ward Abbott wrote:

> Why does everyone have horror stories about making gravy? We all know
> how to make a perfect béchamel sauce which is the basic, classic sauce
> technique.
>
> I hear these "MIL" stories and I can't comprehend WHY gravy continues
> to be an issue.

For some peculiar and strange reasons, my former MIL put chopped hard
boiled egg in her milky turkey gravy. Thankfully, T-day happened once
only at her house (whew!), and notice that "former" is the key word!

Sky, who still shudders when recalling that episode of T-day

That's the way MANY Southerners down here do it. They make it up several
days beforehand with canned stock(!!! I don't see how you can make TURKEY
gravy if you haven't made the turkey yet, but they do!~~~) and then put
mooshed up boiled (pronounced bolled) eggs in there too. It's noxious.

I'm going over to our best friends' house (2 ladies) and bringing the
turkey, and ham and some other stuff but *I* get to make the gravy and I'm
sooooooo grateful.

hugs,
helen