Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet Boston Style Pizza Sauce

I grew up in New England and always treasured a trip into Boston' North End
to get pizza. The sauce was sweet and I have been trying to duplicate it for
years with no success. Does anyone have recommendation, or recipes, for a
sweet pizza sauce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Frank Drackman" > wrote

>I grew up in New England and always treasured a trip into Boston' North End
>to get pizza. The sauce was sweet and I have been trying to duplicate it
>for years with no success. Does anyone have recommendation, or recipes,
>for a sweet pizza sauce?

Perhaps try a tomato basil sauce like Bertolli's, think that sounds
like it might work?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Frank Drackman wrote:
> I grew up in New England and always treasured a trip into Boston' North End
> to get pizza. The sauce was sweet and I have been trying to duplicate it for
> years with no success. Does anyone have recommendation, or recipes, for a
> sweet pizza sauce?

First, it depends on the tomatoes. Some brands and be more acidic than
others. Personally, I like Fede, imported from Italy, which I get in
a local Italian market in NJ when I visit my sister (my wife and I live
in Northern VA). When I don't get up to Jersey, I order Lavalle DOP
San Marzano Tomatoes in the 35oz can. There a bit pricy, but I usually
buy a dozen cans at a time, with other goodies from the Pennsylvania
Macaroni Co. - http://www.pennmac.com -. They're naturally sweet from
the can.

The most obvious solution is to add some sugar to the tomato sauce.
Sugar can up the sweetness, but the acidity can still linger on beneath
the sugar. Salt can help, too which helps to balance out the acid.
Caramelized onions can help, but sometimes the intense oniony (is that
a word?) sweetness can over power thr tomato flavor. However, another
solution I picked up (and use quite often) from an episode of Easy
Entertaining with Michael Chiarello on the FoodNetwork - baking soda.
No-salt or low-sodium canned tomatoes can have a jarring acidic bite.
The baking soda helps neutralize the acid and takes the edge off the
sauce.

I'd try a 1/2 a teaspoon for starters with a 28 oz. can of peeled
tomatoes and maybe 3/4 to a heaping teaspoon for puree or crushed
tomatoes. Of course you can add both sugar and baking soda which cuts
the acid and adds a sweet finish.

Happy Cooking,
Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Frank Drackman" > wrote in message
>I grew up in New England and always treasured a trip into Boston' North End
>to get pizza. The sauce was sweet and I have been trying to duplicate it
>for years with no success. Does anyone have recommendation, or recipes,
>for a sweet pizza sauce?

You can add shredded carrots to the sauce. Carrots will sweeten a tomato
sauce. I can't give you any advice as to how much carrot because I don't
know how much sauce you are making. Start with one carrot for 3-4 quarts of
sauce. Saute the carrot along with the onion at the beginning and cook
until tender and then add your other ingredients. Be careful, carrot can
oversweeten a sauce.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote

> You can add shredded carrots to the sauce. Carrots will sweeten a tomato
> sauce. I can't give you any advice as to how much carrot because I don't
> know how much sauce you are making. Start with one carrot for 3-4 quarts
> of sauce. Saute the carrot along with the onion at the beginning and cook
> until tender and then add your other ingredients. Be careful, carrot can
> oversweeten a sauce.

The way I learned that was you put carrot sticks in the sauce
and took them out after cooking.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Janet B." > wrote
>
>> You can add shredded carrots to the sauce. Carrots will sweeten a tomato
>> sauce. I can't give you any advice as to how much carrot because I don't
>> know how much sauce you are making. Start with one carrot for 3-4 quarts
>> of sauce. Saute the carrot along with the onion at the beginning and
>> cook until tender and then add your other ingredients. Be careful,
>> carrot can oversweeten a sauce.

> The way I learned that was you put carrot sticks in the sauce
> and took them out after cooking.
>
> nancy

I never heard of that . . . that's an interesting approach. I've found that
finely diced or shredded carrot just disappears into the sauce and you don't
even know they are there. Do you agree that you can use too much carrot and
get the sauce too sweet? I did it once with a chicken soup and that was my
learning experience.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> The way I learned that was you put carrot sticks in the sauce
>> and took them out after cooking.

> I never heard of that . . . that's an interesting approach.

That I learned from my Italian ex-mil.

> I've found that finely diced or shredded carrot just disappears into the
> sauce and you don't even know they are there. Do you agree that you can
> use too much carrot and get the sauce too sweet? I did it once with a
> chicken soup and that was my learning experience.

Yes! Same here, I learned from making stock. Easy on the carrot.
Actually put me off carrots in soup for a while.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Janet B." > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> The way I learned that was you put carrot sticks in the sauce
>>> and took them out after cooking.

>> I never heard of that . . . that's an interesting approach.

> That I learned from my Italian ex-mil.
>
>> I've found that finely diced or shredded carrot just disappears into the
>> sauce and you don't even know they are there. Do you agree that you can
>> use too much carrot and get the sauce too sweet? I did it once with a
>> chicken soup and that was my learning experience.

> Yes! Same here, I learned from making stock. Easy on the carrot.
> Actually put me off carrots in soup for a while.
>
> nancy

Hah! Me too!!!
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve in Virginia wrote:

> but I usually buy a dozen cans at a time, with other goodies from the
> Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. - http://www.pennmac.com -. They're
> naturally sweet from the can.

Probably because they have ripened on theyr plant. Nice.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'