Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shredded Beef Taco Meat? Or Burrito Meat?

"cybercat" > wrote in :

> I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
> pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit
> of fat.
>
> I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory
> stuff, so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with
> good stuff like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little
> fresh guacamole.
>
> Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the
> meat?

SPAM baby, That's the way to go, it don't fall apart, it goes well with any
wine and looks good next to the roses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
> pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit of
> fat.
>
> I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory stuff,
> so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good stuff
> like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh guacamole.

%% Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the
meat?

Add half a can of Herdez salsa ranchera with some Mexican oregano and
some epazote. Use a half can of beer as the cooking liquid.

Cook until it is falling apart. Works with pork, too.

Or cook with home made salsa verde made with serranos & tomatillos.

T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:35:44 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>

>> I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory
>> stuff,
>> so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good
>> stuff
>> like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh
>> guacamole.
>>
>> Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the meat?

> Braise the beef with some fresh poblano peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic,
> fresh or pickled jalapeno and some toasted cumin, oregano and chipotle
> chili powder.

I am trying this today! I have never seen poblano peppers, but am sending
the
manslave out for them after work! Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>> I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
>> pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit of
>> fat.
>>
>> I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory
>> stuff,
>> so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good
>> stuff
>> like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh
>> guacamole.
>>

> %% Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the
> meat?
>
> Add half a can of Herdez salsa ranchera with some Mexican oregano and
> some epazote. Use a half can of beer as the cooking liquid.
>
> Cook until it is falling apart. Works with pork, too.
>
> Or cook with home made salsa verde made with serranos & tomatillos.

Sounds delish, I will try this next time. We don't keep beer around, OH
NO, guess I will have to get some! I like the ambers and darks, would
that work? And what IS epazote?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> I made beef stew, but bought too much beef, so did not cook about two
> pounds. It's really nice, lean beef cut in smallish cubes, just a bit of
> fat.
>
> I like braised "fall apart" beef, but have been doing too much savory stuff,
> so I was thinking ... spicy and rolled in a flour tortilla with good stuff
> like shredded cheddar, tomatoes, sour cream, maybe a little fresh guacamole.
>
> Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the meat?

Chop up some potatoes - about the same volume as the meat - into big,
but still bite sized, pieces. Put the mean and potatoes in your
crockpot. Cover with green salsa and cook for many many hours.

rolls up great in a tortilla with shredded cheese.

b.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Anyone have a favorite recipe, where the spices really saturate the meat?

We throw about 3 lbs of cubed meat in the crock pot with a jar of
Williams-Sonoma roja sauce and let it cook on low until you can pull
the meat apart (about 6 hours in an All-Clad slow cooker). You could
surely do the same with a spicier favorite salsa. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

oops - should have added that I think the roja sauce is in a 12 oz jar.
So for 2 lbs of meat, about 8 oz of salsa should do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"chris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> oops - should have added that I think the roja sauce is in a 12 oz jar.
> So for 2 lbs of meat, about 8 oz of salsa should do it.

This made my mouth water. I have a generic brand salsa I like,
certainly not as fancy as Williams Sonoma, but it might do the job!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

cybercat wrote:

> Sounds delish, I will try this next time. We don't keep beer around, OH
> NO, guess I will have to get some! I like the ambers and darks, would
> that work? And what IS epazote?

This page is quite informative about epazote. I use it with black
beans, where I think it adds something flavorful. I have used it with
pinto beans but didn't think it went as well with them. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

aem wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> >
> > Sounds delish, I will try this next time. We don't keep beer around, OH
> > NO, guess I will have to get some! I like the ambers and darks, would
> > that work? And what IS epazote?

> This page is quite informative about epazote. I use it with black
> beans, where I think it adds something flavorful. I have used it with
> pinto beans but didn't think it went as well with them. -aem

Sorry, forgot the link: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/epazote.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote
>> This page is quite informative about epazote. I use it with black
>> beans, where I think it adds something flavorful. I have used it with
>> pinto beans but didn't think it went as well with them. -aem

> Sorry, forgot the link: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/epazote.htm

What a cool site. I love black beans. It has been too long since I made
a big deadly looking pot of them, cooked down to a thick, spicy mess.
Do you think epazote really reduces gas? (I find the more beany stuff
I eat, the less problem I have that way.) Does it really taste like
kerosene??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "aem" > wrote
> >> This page is quite informative about epazote. I use it with black
> >> beans, where I think it adds something flavorful. I have used it with
> >> pinto beans but didn't think it went as well with them. -aem

> > Sorry, forgot the link: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/epazote.htm
> >

> What a cool site. I love black beans. It has been too long since I made
> a big deadly looking pot of them, cooked down to a thick, spicy mess.
> Do you think epazote really reduces gas? (I find the more beany stuff
> I eat, the less problem I have that way.) Does it really taste like
> kerosene??

Epazote only smells like kerosene in large quantities. I only put in a
couple of leaves (dried) into a pot of frijoles or a batch of pozole.

I made pozole last night with dried pozole from New Mexico. I used a
little over a pound of boneless pork ribs (sometimes with a big batch,
I'll put in a pig foot). Used Mexican oregano, thyme, epazote, chile
caribe & some chimayo dulce that was ground. Had limon, chopped
radishes, onions, & cilantro for garnish.

Good stuff.

T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Epazote only smells like kerosene in large quantities. I only put in a
> couple of leaves (dried) into a pot of frijoles or a batch of pozole.
>
> I made pozole last night with dried pozole from New Mexico. I used a
> little over a pound of boneless pork ribs (sometimes with a big batch,
> I'll put in a pig foot). Used Mexican oregano, thyme, epazote, chile
> caribe & some chimayo dulce that was ground. Had limon, chopped
> radishes, onions, & cilantro for garnish.
>
> Good stuff.

Sounds like you are worlds ahead of me with authentic Mexican
cooking. I'm still doing TexMex stuff, but I am interested in
learning more about the real thing. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:37:44 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>
>> "jay" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:35:44 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>>>

>> I am trying this today! I have never seen poblano peppers, but am sending
>> the
>> manslave out for them after work! Thank you.

> Welcome..here is what my copy looks like.. with potatoes.
>
> http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...d/Image033.jpg

Wow! Gorgeous presentation! It was so late when my husband got home,
I will make mine tonight, but I am sure it will not be so pretty. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

> > Epazote only smells like kerosene in large quantities. I only put in a
> > couple of leaves (dried) into a pot of frijoles or a batch of pozole.
> >
> > I made pozole last night with dried pozole from New Mexico. I used a
> > little over a pound of boneless pork ribs (sometimes with a big batch,
> > I'll put in a pig foot). Used Mexican oregano, thyme, epazote, chile
> > caribe & some chimayo dulce that was ground. Had limon, chopped
> > radishes, onions, & cilantro for garnish.
> >
> > Good stuff.
> >

> Sounds like you are worlds ahead of me with authentic Mexican
> cooking. I'm still doing TexMex stuff, but I am interested in
> learning more about the real thing. Thanks.

Here's the cookbook I used..
THE BORDER COOKBOOK: AUTHENTIC HOME COOKING of the American SW & N.
Mexico by Cheryl Alters Jamison

There's lots of good stuff in this one. Like marranitos. Mexican
gingerbread cookies cut in the shape of a pig.

Ted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: > I made pozole last night with dried pozole from New Mexico. I used a
: > little over a pound of boneless pork ribs (sometimes with a big batch,
: > I'll put in a pig foot). Used Mexican oregano, thyme, epazote, chile
: > caribe & some chimayo dulce that was ground. Had limon, chopped
: > radishes, onions, & cilantro for garnish.
: >
: > Good stuff.
: >
: > T.

: I'm a big fan of pozole! Is the Chimayo pepper similar to the Hatch
: variety? Sounds great..gonna make some soon.

"boneless pork ribs"? Now there's an oxymoron!!! By definition ribs
have bone.

Chimayo chiles are shorter, thinner fleshed, and usually a bit hotter than the
usual Hatch varieties (Big Jim, NuMex, etc.). Note that there is not
a "Hatch" variety, rather, Hatch is a growing region where several chile
varieties are grown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote
> Here's the cookbook I used..
> THE BORDER COOKBOOK: AUTHENTIC HOME COOKING of the American SW & N.
> Mexico by Cheryl Alters Jamison
>
> There's lots of good stuff in this one. Like marranitos. Mexican
> gingerbread cookies cut in the shape of a pig.

Thanks Ted, I'll see if I can pick that up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> Welcome..here is what my copy looks like.. with potatoes.
>
> http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...d/Image033.jpg
>
> http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...d/Image035.jpg
>
> http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../Image038i.jpg

Can you post the recipe for this dish? Or does it have a name I can
look up? Looks great!

~john

I'm not a fan of shredded meat Portland General Cooking 21 15-06-2011 01:03 PM
Taco Meat benzmaster Recipes (moderated) 1 13-04-2010 10:30 AM
Taco Meat cybercat General Cooking 27 27-06-2007 11:20 PM
Burrito meat Terry General Cooking 20 01-02-2007 02:13 PM
ping Jay... shredded taco meat levelwave General Cooking 3 07-11-2006 05:15 PM