FoodBanter.com

-   -   Trader Joe's (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/105407-trader-joes.html)

Kate Connally 30-10-2006 06:41 PM

Trader Joe's

Hooray!!! At last Pittsburgh has a Trader Joe's.

I'm especially excited about it because I lived in
So. Calif. for 13 years and shopped at TJ's a lot.
I really missed it when I moved back to Pittsburgh.

So, I went after work on Friday. As it was opening
day it was a madhouse with checkout lines backed up
down the aisles, making it difficult to browse all
items on all the shelves.

I picked up a few goodies that struck my fancy.
I got a small container of couscous salad with pinenuts,
red pepper, raisins, and peas. I also picked up a 1-qt.
box of their Tomato and Red Pepper Soup and a loaf of
their Asiago and Pepper sourdough bread. I had these
items for dinner on Sat. and Sun. evenings. Quite tasty,
although the bread was a little too salty for my taste.
(I should have guessed as I don't care for the Asiago
Bagels at Panera for the same reason. I guess Asiago
cheese is just really salty and therefore it's impossible
to use it in anything and not have it be too salty for
me. I've never liked a lot of salt.) Anyway, the soup
was excellent and so was the couscous salad.

I also bought a bottle of McIntosh apple juice, made with
all McIntosh apples. It's okay but slightly disappointing
in that it seems to lack a strong McIntoch apple flavor.
When I go to Vermont I always buy cider that is made from
mostly McIntosh apples (shoot, I'd go to VT just to get that
cider if I could afford it) and it always tasty very McIntoshy.
But this juice was not particularly McIntoshy in flavor. The
only difference I noted from regular apple juice was that it
had slightly more tartness, but not a lot. Oh, well. Sounded
good.

I also was disappointed in the tortilla chips I bought.
I got some plain blue corn tortilla chips that had a
slightly less than crisp texture. I also was intrigued
by some Sweet Mole Tortilla Chips. I thought they would
be fairly flavorful. Turns out they taste pretty much
like plain yellow corn tortilla chips with a vague hint
of mole flavor. Oh, well. Sounded good.

I picked up one of their brochures at the checkout and
have marked many items in it to try the next time I go.
And I noticed they have a mole sauce that I'd like to
try. (I made mole from scratch once. It had about 35
ingredients and took 2 days to make what with toasting
various spices and seeds and grinding stuff, etc. And
it didn't turn out very good. I had about a gallon of
it and I ended up throwing a lot of it out as I didn't
like it enough to bother saving it to use later. If I
throw out food, especially something I slaved over, then
you know it's really bad.) So, in the hopes of finding
a good mole sauce I don't have to make myself I'm planning
to give it a try.

Can't wait to go back to TJ's on a less crowded day
and really check out everything.

It's just too bad I am living in PA now. Out in CA
they had wines at TJ's and you could get some really
nice inexpensive wines there. But I live in the
Fascist state of PA where we have to buy from the
state monopoly at outrageous prices. Sigh.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Goomba38 30-10-2006 06:53 PM

Trader Joe's

Kate Connally wrote:
> Hooray!!! At last Pittsburgh has a Trader Joe's.
>
> I'm especially excited about it because I lived in
> So. Calif. for 13 years and shopped at TJ's a lot.
> I really missed it when I moved back to Pittsburgh.
>
> So, I went after work on Friday. As it was opening
> day it was a madhouse with checkout lines backed up
> down the aisles, making it difficult to browse all
> items on all the shelves.

Stan Horowitz bought me some of their "blistered peanuts" once and they
were really good.

Andy[_2_] 30-10-2006 06:59 PM

Trader Joe's

Kate Connally said...

> Can't wait to go back to TJ's on a less crowded day
> and really check out everything.
>
> It's just too bad I am living in PA now. Out in CA
> they had wines at TJ's and you could get some really
> nice inexpensive wines there.

Kate,

I'd say the TJ's Hawaiian potato chips are primo, imho!

Congrats on your TJs. It's a great place to flirt, err... shop.

All the best,

Andy

merryb 30-10-2006 07:15 PM

Trader Joe's

Kate Connally wrote:
> [...]
> throw out food, especially something I slaved over, then
> you know it's really bad.) So, in the hopes of finding
> a good mole sauce I don't have to make myself I'm planning
> to give it a try.
>
> Can't wait to go back to TJ's on a less crowded day
> and really check out everything.
>
> It's just too bad I am living in PA now. Out in CA
> they had wines at TJ's and you could get some really
> nice inexpensive wines there. But I live in the
> Fascist state of PA where we have to buy from the
> state monopoly at outrageous prices. Sigh.
>
> Kate
>
> --
> Kate Connally
> "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
> Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off."
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

Ever try their Margharita pizza? The best frozen pizza I have ever
tried, altho I haven't tried many to begin with.

Another Day Another OS 30-10-2006 07:42 PM

Trader Joe's

We stopped by Friday afternoon on the way home from work. It was way to
crowded to do any serious looking, let alone shopping. The one thing
that surprised me though was the size of the store. It's really,
really, small. So small that I'm wondering if the crowded isles and
long lines we saw Friday aren't going to be the norm.

I hope not because that was just way to stressful and I can't see myself
shopping there if it's going to be like that all the time.

Paul

Vilco 30-10-2006 11:37 PM

Trader Joe's

Kate Connally wrote

> (I should have guessed as I don't care for the Asiago
> Bagels at Panera for the same reason. I guess Asiago
> cheese is just really salty and therefore it's impossible
> to use it in anything and not have it be too salty for
> me. I've never liked a lot of salt.) Anyway, the soup

Asiago shouldn't be that salty, also the "pressato" (pressed) version
is not salty. Unless it is a pricey aged one, "d'allevo", but I don't
think they are using that.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

sf[_3_] 31-10-2006 06:48 AM

Trader Joe's

On 30 Oct 2006 10:15:29 -0800, "merryb" > wrote:

>Ever try their Margharita pizza? The best frozen pizza I have ever
>tried, altho I haven't tried many to begin with.

Daughter's BF thinks their mushroom pizza is the best. IMO: It's not
bad.

--
See return address to reply by email

sf[_3_] 31-10-2006 06:53 AM

Trader Joe's

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:42:27 -0500, Another Day Another OS
> wrote:

> It's really, really, small.

If you're used to mega store grocery shopping, it's really, really
small.

>So small that I'm wondering if the crowded isles and
>long lines we saw Friday aren't going to be the norm.

Yes, unless you can get there on a weekday morning.... forget about
weekends or after work if you don't like crowds. Not sure why it
would be a problem. If those are the times you shop, it's crowded
everywhere - including the mega grocery stores.

--
See return address to reply by email

enoavidh[_1_] 31-10-2006 02:30 PM

Trader Joe's

"Vilco" > wrote in news:45467de8$0$19241
:

> Asiago shouldn't be that salty, also the "pressato" (pressed) version
> is not salty. Unless it is a pricey aged one, "d'allevo", but I don't
> think they are using that.

OT, but, hi Vilco! Nice to see someone I know from another group!
d. who likes to drink pink :)

Leo Scanlon 31-10-2006 02:35 PM

Trader Joe's

We love TJ's organic veggies, especially Harvest Hodgepodge and the
Roasted Red Pepper with sauce. Cheese is high-quality and reasonably
priced.

Merchandise aside, their friendly and helpful staff makes shopping
there a pleasure. No, I'm not an employee, I'm just appreciative.

Leo

Zywicki 31-10-2006 05:15 PM

Trader Joe's

On Oct 30, 12:41 pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
> Hooray!!! At last Pittsburgh has a Trader Joe's.
>
> I'm especially excited about it because I lived in
> So. Calif. for 13 years and shopped at TJ's a lot.
> I really missed it when I moved back to Pittsburgh.

I'm becoming more and more a TJ's cultist.

I've been trying to buy fresh locally roasted coffee beans regularly.
But their Columbian Supremo really hits the right notes for me. So now
I have to go regularly.

Recent obsession inducing finds:

TJ's Bohemian Lager
Cashew, Almond, Coconut and Chocolate "Trek Mix." Way too good, and
the nuts are roasted.

My wife likes their shampoos and soaps too.

> I also bought a bottle of McIntosh apple juice, made with
> all McIntosh apples.
> When I go to Vermont I always buy cider that is made from
> mostly McIntosh apples (shoot, I'd go to VT just to get that
> cider if I could afford it) and it always tasty very McIntoshy.

Shirley, there must be an orchard around Pitt or in Ohio that can
provide you with this. I know you could get
it in Michigan, but that's 5 hours of driving.

Greg Zywicki

John McDowell 31-10-2006 05:16 PM

Trader Joe's

Ditto here! My wife & I took a walk over to TJs on Sunday afternoon. It was
a mad house of course but like you we were surprised at how small the store
is. It sort of reminded me of a glorified East End Food Coop. We'll give it
a try in a few weeks. Hopefully it will make a better impression then.

John Mc

Dan Abel 31-10-2006 06:40 PM

Trader Joe's

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:42:27 -0500, Another Day Another OS
> > wrote:

> >So small that I'm wondering if the crowded isles and
> >long lines we saw Friday aren't going to be the norm.

> Yes, unless you can get there on a weekday morning.... forget about
> weekends or after work if you don't like crowds. Not sure why it
> would be a problem. If those are the times you shop, it's crowded
> everywhere - including the mega grocery stores.

Ours isn't usually very crowded. And as SF said, if TJs is crowded,
chances are that *every* store is crowded.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Kate Connally 31-10-2006 06:55 PM

Trader Joe's

Zywicki wrote:

> On Oct 30, 12:41 pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>>Hooray!!! At last Pittsburgh has a Trader Joe's.
>>
>>I'm especially excited about it because I lived in
>>So. Calif. for 13 years and shopped at TJ's a lot.
>>I really missed it when I moved back to Pittsburgh.
>>

> I'm becoming more and more a TJ's cultist.

> Recent obsession inducing finds:

> Cashew, Almond, Coconut and Chocolate "Trek Mix." Way too good, and
> the nuts are roasted.

This sounds good. I'll have to look for it.

>>I also bought a bottle of McIntosh apple juice, made with
>>all McIntosh apples.
>>When I go to Vermont I always buy cider that is made from
>>mostly McIntosh apples (shoot, I'd go to VT just to get that
>>cider if I could afford it) and it always tasty very McIntoshy.

> Shirley, there must be an orchard around Pitt or in Ohio that can
> provide you with this.

Nope, believe me, I've looked. They only time I ever
found McIntosh cider was about 10 or 15 years ago at the
Flax Scutching Festival in Stahlstown. A local Boy Scout
troup was pressing cider at the fair. It was all McIntosh
apples. The reason the cider in VT is mostly McI. is that
they grow mostly McI. up there. That's not the case
around here. I've talked to some of the major orchards
that make cider in this area and they always blend and
use a lot of Golden Delicious (which I hate). There was
one place that made some "varietals" like Granny Smith
cider but no McI. Damn! McI. is my favorite apple, best
flavor with just the right balance of sweet and tart.
I really can't get very excited about any other apple
varieties although I'll eat them if necessary. Except
for the mis-names Delicious apples which I abhor.

> I know you could get
> it in Michigan, but that's 5 hours of driving.

Well, I'll look for some when I drive thru next fall on
my way to Montana to visit my sister. I want to visit
the Cherry Republic also. What's a good area for the
cider?

Kate

Thelma Lubkin 31-10-2006 08:08 PM

Trader Joe's

Kate Connally > wrote:
: ... Damn! McI. is my favorite apple, best
: flavor with just the right balance of sweet and tart.
: I really can't get very excited about any other apple
: varieties although I'll eat them if necessary. Except
: for the mis-names Delicious apples which I abhor.

I agree with almost everything that you say above. I do like the
snow apple very much, and within the Mac variety, there are a couple
of early varieties, Milton Macs and Jersey Macs, that have the
MacIntosh taste and more crispness.

But beware of Washington state Macs: Washington seems to have
built a corporate empire, breeding for large, colorful,
smooth -- perfect looking -- fruit of a uniform blandness, no
matter the variety or type. I have found exceptions sometimes in
seasonal stone fruit, but they *were* exceptions.

I've read high praise for Washington state apples, so I'm
guessing that there are honest orchards out the they just don't
ship to Wisconsin.

Our local Macs are good; later we can get pretty good storage
Macs from Michigan and New York...but I'm not sure how long this
supply will survive. Washington apparently can provide VOLUME,
and huge supermarkets need that.
--thelma
: Kate

Kyle 31-10-2006 08:47 PM

Trader Joe's

Kate Connally wrote:

> It's just too bad I am living in PA now. Out in CA
> they had wines at TJ's and you could get some really
> nice inexpensive wines there. But I live in the
> Fascist state of PA where we have to buy from the
> state monopoly at outrageous prices. Sigh.

I hear ya. The CA. TJ's are amazing, with far better prices &
selections than the ones where I live now (MA.). I used to do almost
all of my food shopping at TJ's.

Zywicki 31-10-2006 09:21 PM

Trader Joe's

On Oct 31, 12:55 pm, Kate Connally > wrote:

> I really can't get very excited about any other apple
> varieties although I'll eat them if necessary. Except
> for the mis-names Delicious apples which I abhor.

What is it you like about Macs? The tartness? I really only like
Apples in the fall, before they start getting foamy. Macs get foamy
real fast. I like empire, idas, and the darling Honeycrisp more.
Gingergold too, I think.

> > I know you could get
> > it in Michigan, but that's 5 hours of driving.

I think you'd have to ask to have it pressed special, but there are
lots of Macs.

There are apples all over the state. Most Counties have at least one
orchard. I grew up and live in South East Michigan, and can say that
Wayne, Washtenaw, Oakland, Macomb, and Livingston counties all offer
many choices. Ingham (I think) also. I'm not so aware about the
Traverse Bay area, but there's probably lots up there. But cherry
season is mid July, and that's when you really want to be there. So
you'll have to stay for awhile.

> Well, I'll look for some when I drive thru next fall on
> my way to Montana to visit my sister. I want to visit
> the Cherry Republic also. What's a good area for the
> cider?

http://www.applejournal.com/mi01.htm

Check a map. You're adding some significant travel time by going
through Traverse. Although I'd humbly suggest it's worth it.

You can also get a coney dog, to see what that thread was all about.

Greg Zywicki

Mark Thorson 31-10-2006 09:27 PM

Trader Joe's

Another Day Another OS wrote:

> So small that I'm wondering if the crowded isles and
> long lines we saw Friday aren't going to be the norm.
>
> I hope not because that was just way to stressful and I can't see
> myself shopping there if it's going to be like that all the time.

Yeah, it's so crowded nobody goes there anymore. :-)

Mike[_12_] 31-10-2006 09:44 PM

Trader Joe's

Kate Connally wrote:
> Hooray!!! At last Pittsburgh has a Trader Joe's.

A Trader Joe's just opened near me in suburban Atlanta. I haven't been
able to get close to it yet, the parking lot is always jammed. I bet
PetsMart and Office Max (or is it Depot?) who are in the same shopping
center are anxious for the newness to wear off so their customers will
have a place to park!

Mike

Kate Connally 01-11-2006 05:35 PM

Trader Joe's

Zywicki wrote:

> On Oct 31, 12:55 pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>

>>I really can't get very excited about any other apple
>>varieties although I'll eat them if necessary. Except
>>for the mis-names Delicious apples which I abhor.

> What is it you like about Macs? The tartness? I really only like
> Apples in the fall, before they start getting foamy. Macs get foamy
> real fast. I like empire, idas, and the darling Honeycrisp more.
> Gingergold too, I think.

Well, they're sweet but not bland, a nice amount of tartness
to balance the sweetness. Many other apples I've eaten are
either sweet without any or with little tartness or they are
tartness but have little sweetness or flavor. Also, Macs have
the most wonderful flavor aside from the sweet/tart component.
Most other apples don't have what I consider an especially
yummy flavor. I also like the texture which is light and
delicate and crisp. And they are nice and juicy, not dry
like many other apples.

>>>I know you could get
>>>it in Michigan, but that's 5 hours of driving.

> I think you'd have to ask to have it pressed special, but there are
> lots of Macs.
>
> There are apples all over the state. Most Counties have at least one
> orchard. I grew up and live in South East Michigan, and can say that
> Wayne, Washtenaw, Oakland, Macomb, and Livingston counties all offer
> many choices. Ingham (I think) also. I'm not so aware about the
> Traverse Bay area, but there's probably lots up there. But cherry
> season is mid July, and that's when you really want to be there. So
> you'll have to stay for awhile.

No, I'm going in the fall, late Sept. I'm not going for
fresh cherries but for products from Cherry Republic and
I want to visit their facility. They sell dried cherries
and many products made from cherries such as cherry salsa,
cherry ketchup, cherry jam, cherry bbq sauce, choc-covered
dried cherries, and much much more. I love their stuff,
especially the hot cherry salsa.

>>Well, I'll look for some when I drive thru next fall on
>>my way to Montana to visit my sister. I want to visit
>>the Cherry Republic also. What's a good area for the
>>cider?

> http://www.applejournal.com/mi01.htm
>
> Check a map. You're adding some significant travel time by going
> through Traverse. Although I'd humbly suggest it's worth it.

Well, I'm taking a leisurely trip from Pgh. to Hamilton,
MT and there are tons of things I want to see along the
way up and back. I will be taking many detours. I plan
to be on the road for a week up and a week back. Besides
visiting Cherry Republic on the way up, I plan to stop
at Carhenge in Nebraska on the way back.

> You can also get a coney dog, to see what that thread was all about.

Well, I just might if I happen to run across one at the
right time. I have a number of food places I want to
check out along the way. I will be looking for diners
and unique eateries, more funky than fancy. Places like
the general store in Moonshine, IL, to enjoy a Moonburger.

Kate

Zywicki 01-11-2006 06:45 PM

Trader Joe's

On Nov 1, 11:35 am, Kate Connally > wrote:
> > You can also get a coney dog, to see what that thread was all about.

> Well, I just might if I happen to run across one at the
> right time. I have a number of food places I want to
> check out along the way. I will be looking for diners
> and unique eateries, more funky than fancy. Places like
> the general store in Moonshine, IL, to enjoy a Moonburger.
>
> Kate

Roadfood.com. Jan and Michael Stern. Invaluable.

Greg Zywicki

Kate Connally 02-11-2006 06:59 PM

Trader Joe's

Zywicki wrote:

> On Nov 1, 11:35 am, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>>>You can also get a coney dog, to see what that thread was all about.

>>Well, I just might if I happen to run across one at the
>>right time. I have a number of food places I want to
>>check out along the way. I will be looking for diners
>>and unique eateries, more funky than fancy. Places like
>>the general store in Moonshine, IL, to enjoy a Moonburger.
>>
>>Kate

> Roadfood.com. Jan and Michael Stern. Invaluable.

Thanks. Already know about them. And I belong to a
couple of roadside (food and points of interest) mailing
lists. They're very useful. Already have way too many
things I'd like to see and eat along the way. Gonna
have to whittle down the list.

Kate

[email protected] 02-11-2006 10:07 PM

Trader Joe's

They just opened a new Trader Joe's in Washington DC. I am so excited
-- I used to have to go to Maryland or Virginia to shop there. If there
is a Trader Joe's by me, I pretty much dont shop anywhere else. I love
that place. And the best part is...the one in DC sells beer and wine.
Ah...good old Charles Shaw wine at 2.99 a bottle.

The only bad part is -- they opened it less than a block from my old
apartment! I can't believe I moved. hahahah

Lou Decruss 06-11-2006 07:49 PM

Trader Joe's

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:16:27 -0500, "John McDowell"
> wrote:

>Ditto here! My wife & I took a walk over to TJs on Sunday afternoon. It was
>a mad house of course but like you we were surprised at how small the store
>is. It sort of reminded me of a glorified East End Food Coop. We'll give it
>a try in a few weeks. Hopefully it will make a better impression then.
>
>John Mc

TJ's is so unique that it seems you either like it or not. The first
time I stopped in I left empty handed and un-impressed. Many people I
know like them so I get reviews form time to time and try the
recommended products. Their pot stickers are very good and reasonably
priced. Once I was looking for oyster sauce and the associate took me
to clam juice and said I should use that. <gasp> Chances are if you
didn't like it the first time you'll never like it. At least that was
the case with me.

lou

Kate Connally 07-11-2006 04:40 PM

Trader Joe's

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:16:27 -0500, "John McDowell"
> > wrote:
>

>>Ditto here! My wife & I took a walk over to TJs on Sunday afternoon. It was
>>a mad house of course but like you we were surprised at how small the store
>>is. It sort of reminded me of a glorified East End Food Coop. We'll give it
>>a try in a few weeks. Hopefully it will make a better impression then.
>>
>>John Mc

> TJ's is so unique that it seems you either like it or not. The first
> time I stopped in I left empty handed and un-impressed. Many people I
> know like them so I get reviews form time to time and try the
> recommended products. Their pot stickers are very good and reasonably
> priced. Once I was looking for oyster sauce and the associate took me
> to clam juice and said I should use that. <gasp> Chances are if you
> didn't like it the first time you'll never like it. At least that was
> the case with me.
>
> lou

They're somewhat different than when I went there in
the early 80's in CA. There is much more emphasis now
on organic and "healthy" stuff - no trans fats, etc.
And there is a much heavier emphasis on organic stuff.
The organic-ness of the products drives the price up
so many things aren't as cheap as I remember but
many things are really great buys.

I was really happy to see whole milk yogurt. It seemed
like all the other dairy products were low fat. Blecch!
Anyway, I have become a real fan of yogurt since I
discovered Stonyfields Farms whole milk yogurt. Now
they have a whole milk yogurt at TJ's. I can't wait
to try it to see how it compares to Stonyfield. It's
50 cents less at TJs. Unfortunately for some they only
have it in the French Vanilla flavor. For me that's fine
because that's what I usually buy anyway. Yum.

I noticed that a lot of the prepared foods are what I
consider a little pricey, due no doubt to being organic.
I always liked a lot of their prepared foods in the past
but they weren't that expensive back then. I would probably
still treat myself from time to time on the better ones.

The nuts and dried fruits and trail mixes are awesome.
I saw a one-pound bag of shelled pistachio halves and
pieces for something like $4.39. They will be perfect
for when I make baklava, which I always make with pistachios
as I really hate walnuts. And the prices on the cashews
look good. They've got dried *wild* blueberries as well
as dried reg. blueberries. And dried Montmorency cherries.

I still have more things to try. I can only afford a few
things each month, but I plan to go as often as possible
and search out the best stuff.

I just wish they hadn't gone so healthy and organic.
I don't like the first and I can't afford the second. ;-)

Kate

notbob 07-11-2006 09:45 PM

Trader Joe's

On 2006-11-07, Kate Connally > wrote:

> so many things aren't as cheap as I remember but
> many things are really great buys.

TJ's has always been a crap shoot. Some of their products are
diamonds in the rough and others are a total rip-off. One needs to
look and try and compare. A lot of their items appear to be seconds.
Terra Chip are a good example.

I fell in love with Terra Chips, the other-root-vegetable chips. But,
at $5 bag, too pricey. I found TJ had a brand that tasted identical
for almost half the price. Then, one day I noticed the TJ brand was
no longer available, but there on the shelf in their place was Terra
Chips. Exact same package, etc, at the same low price as the TJ
version. But! ...here's the kicker.... both the TJ brand and the
Terra Chips offered at the lower price were all small bits and pieces
of whole chips. Never a single whole chip in the bag. No biggie if
you don't mind bits and pieces, but useless for dipping.

Other TJ weirdness has to do with availability. Too often I've become
accustomed to a particular brand/price only to see it disappear
forever. Their awesome 4 yr aged cheddar which has no equal I can
currently find was a good example. They used to carry Boodles gin at a
fantastic price. I haven't seen it in a couple years, now. A real
bummer.

Other stuff they carry is beyond bad. I bought some crab cakes once.
I don't know what was in them, but now 4 years later, I'm still
working on removing the bullet-proof miracle substance they splattered
all over my best teflon skillet. I won't even look at their frozen
Mex offerings. The worst. OTOH, their frozen cioppino meal and their
NYC cheesecake are to die for. And they offer a little bole of SF
sourdough that shames even the great historical gold rush SF sourdough
bakeries. Like I said, a real crap shoot.

nb

sueb 08-11-2006 12:23 AM

Trader Joe's

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-11-07, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
> > so many things aren't as cheap as I remember but
> > many things are really great buys.

> TJ's has always been a crap shoot. Some of their products are
> diamonds in the rough and others are a total rip-off. One needs to
> look and try and compare. A lot of their items appear to be seconds.
> Terra Chip are a good example.
>
> I fell in love with Terra Chips, the other-root-vegetable chips. But,
> at $5 bag, too pricey. I found TJ had a brand that tasted identical
> for almost half the price. Then, one day I noticed the TJ brand was
> no longer available, but there on the shelf in their place was Terra
> Chips. Exact same package, etc, at the same low price as the TJ
> version. But! ...here's the kicker.... both the TJ brand and the
> Terra Chips offered at the lower price were all small bits and pieces
> of whole chips. Never a single whole chip in the bag. No biggie if
> you don't mind bits and pieces, but useless for dipping.
>
> Other TJ weirdness has to do with availability. Too often I've become
> accustomed to a particular brand/price only to see it disappear
> forever. Their awesome 4 yr aged cheddar which has no equal I can
> currently find was a good example. They used to carry Boodles gin at a
> fantastic price. I haven't seen it in a couple years, now. A real
> bummer.
>
> Other stuff they carry is beyond bad. I bought some crab cakes once.
> I don't know what was in them, but now 4 years later, I'm still
> working on removing the bullet-proof miracle substance they splattered
> all over my best teflon skillet. I won't even look at their frozen
> Mex offerings. The worst. OTOH, their frozen cioppino meal and their
> NYC cheesecake are to die for. And they offer a little bole of SF
> sourdough that shames even the great historical gold rush SF sourdough
> bakeries. Like I said, a real crap shoot.

What ever you do, don't get the Vrut!

I'm not a big TJ's fan. A lot of it has to do with the employees. I
once stopped in a store at 4 in the afternoon after working out at the
gym. I grabbed some salmon, a bag of frozen gyoza, and a big tin of
Altoids. The checkout girl asked if it was my lunch.

Susan B.

Another Day Another OS 08-11-2006 02:35 PM

Trader Joe's

sueb wrote:

> What ever you do, don't get the Vrut!
>
> I'm not a big TJ's fan. A lot of it has to do with the employees. I
> once stopped in a store at 4 in the afternoon after working out at the
> gym. I grabbed some salmon, a bag of frozen gyoza, and a big tin of
> Altoids. The checkout girl asked if it was my lunch.

I have to add my two cents here... We made our second trip to TJ
yesterday afternoon and while the crowd we saw the first time was gone
and we were able to pick up a few things our encounter with the
employees was less than encouraging. TJs seems to have followed the GE
model of hiring the - service jobs are beneath us crowd from the
immediate neighborhood - in fact many of them reminded me of the former
Shop -N Save crew that I desperately avoided when I lived in Squirrel Hill.

We couldn't get anyone to help us find what we were looking for and when
we located the stuff and went to check out, it was all the cashier could
do to tear herself away from her conversation with her co-worker and
trouble herself to check us out.

Whatever Whole Foods does to hire their pleasant and helpful, if a bit
quirky and sometimes too familiar staff, Whole Foods is about the only
store in the city that has figured out a way to keep the sneering at the
customers they loath element out of their employee ranks.

Andy[_2_] 08-11-2006 03:22 PM

Trader Joe's

Another Day Another OS said...

> sueb wrote:
>
>> What ever you do, don't get the Vrut!
>>
>> I'm not a big TJ's fan. A lot of it has to do with the employees. I
>> once stopped in a store at 4 in the afternoon after working out at
>> the gym. I grabbed some salmon, a bag of frozen gyoza, and a big tin
>> of Altoids. The checkout girl asked if it was my lunch.

> I have to add my two cents here... We made our second trip to TJ
> yesterday afternoon and while the crowd we saw the first time was gone
> and we were able to pick up a few things our encounter with the
> employees was less than encouraging. TJs seems to have followed the
> GE model of hiring the - service jobs are beneath us crowd from the
> immediate neighborhood - in fact many of them reminded me of the
> former Shop -N Save crew that I desperately avoided when I lived in
> Squirrel Hill.
>
> We couldn't get anyone to help us find what we were looking for and
> when we located the stuff and went to check out, it was all the
> cashier could do to tear herself away from her conversation with her
> co-worker and trouble herself to check us out.
>
> Whatever Whole Foods does to hire their pleasant and helpful, if a bit
> quirky and sometimes too familiar staff, Whole Foods is about the only
> store in the city that has figured out a way to keep the sneering at
> the customers they loath element out of their employee ranks.

The hired help at all places and the quality of service they impart to an
individual customer really depends on the customer's state of mind, imho.

The first thing I always do is note the employee's name, then it's a
first name basis issue and I find they're much more comfortable with that
rather than "miss or sir". Plus I always seek out the opposite sex if I
need help cause I have an uncanny ability to flirt and make them blush or
at least smile!

If an employee doesn't have a name tag, after they've helped, I always
ask "And your name is?" followed up with "Thanks, <name>." They always
walk away beaming.

Could be that's why I shop almost every other day. It's more social than
hanging around in bars times 10*1000 power.

I also charm the women at the other end of the phone when I call to order
"stuff." I always ask where they're located and how's the weather and ask
about good places to eat, should I visit. I AND they LOVE it!

I've rarely pressed my luck beyond flirting.

Trader Joes is fun 'cause most of their aisles are too narrow for two
carts to pass without "excuse me, pardon, my fault, good choice, my
compliments" etc., remarks.

Andy
I need to go shopping later. Oh, and there's the phone! :D

Kate Connally 08-11-2006 05:41 PM

Trader Joe's

Another Day Another OS wrote:

> sueb wrote:
>
>> What ever you do, don't get the Vrut!
>>
>> I'm not a big TJ's fan. A lot of it has to do with the employees. I
>> once stopped in a store at 4 in the afternoon after working out at the
>> gym. I grabbed some salmon, a bag of frozen gyoza, and a big tin of
>> Altoids. The checkout girl asked if it was my lunch.

> I have to add my two cents here... We made our second trip to TJ
> yesterday afternoon and while the crowd we saw the first time was gone
> and we were able to pick up a few things our encounter with the
> employees was less than encouraging. TJs seems to have followed the GE
> model of hiring the - service jobs are beneath us crowd from the
> immediate neighborhood - in fact many of them reminded me of the former
> Shop -N Save crew that I desperately avoided when I lived in Squirrel Hill.
>
> We couldn't get anyone to help us find what we were looking for and when
> we located the stuff and went to check out, it was all the cashier could
> do to tear herself away from her conversation with her co-worker and
> trouble herself to check us out.
>
> Whatever Whole Foods does to hire their pleasant and helpful, if a bit
> quirky and sometimes too familiar staff, Whole Foods is about the only
> store in the city that has figured out a way to keep the sneering at the
> customers they loath element out of their employee ranks.

Well, so far I've found the employees to be extremely polite,
friendly and helpful.

Kate

Lou Decruss 08-11-2006 06:02 PM

Trader Joe's

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:40:54 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

<snip>

>I still have more things to try. I can only afford a few
>things each month, but I plan to go as often as possible
>and search out the best stuff.

Thanks for the different point of view. I enjoyed it.

>I just wish they hadn't gone so healthy and organic.
>I don't like the first and I can't afford the second. ;-)

They're pretty new to the Chicago market so I never saw the older
style. It seems they cater to the more upscale yuppie market that
they can't get with the Aldi branch.

Lou

Lou Decruss 08-11-2006 06:22 PM

Trader Joe's

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:45:37 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>Other TJ weirdness has to do with availability. Too often I've become
>accustomed to a particular brand/price only to see it disappear
>forever. Their awesome 4 yr aged cheddar which has no equal I can
>currently find was a good example. They used to carry Boodles gin at a
>fantastic price. I haven't seen it in a couple years, now. A real
>bummer.

I did some reading when TJ's came to Chicago a few years ago. I'm not
sure how much has changed since then, but along with their Aldi branch
they focused on 700 items per store. No matter how wonderful an item
is, if it's not making it's quota per square inch of shelf space it
gets eliminated. Larger stores carrying 1000's of items will sell an
item that's not profitable because they've learned (through tracking)
that someone who buys "xyz" will also buy 10 other profitable items on
the same trip. Tj's just doesn't use that theory. Whatever they do
works for them as many people love them. Personally I could live
without them. But their cookies are very good. LOL

Lou

Lou Decruss 08-11-2006 06:25 PM

Trader Joe's

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:41:07 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Well, so far I've found the employees to be extremely polite,
>friendly and helpful.
>
>Kate

I'll agree with that, but they're not always too bright. The ones
I've talked to at least tried. But they do get paid well so I'm sure
they are motivated. I think they get paid about 12 bucks an hour
which is pretty good for retail.

Lou

Karen[_3_] 08-11-2006 06:26 PM

Trader Joe's

notbob wrote:
> Other TJ weirdness has to do with availability. Too often I've become
> accustomed to a particular brand/price only to see it disappear
> forever. Their awesome 4 yr aged cheddar which has no equal I can
> currently find was a good example. They used to carry Boodles gin at a
> fantastic price. I haven't seen it in a couple years, now. A real
> bummer.

On purpose, TJs constantly lets 10% of their products go on a
continuous basis. Their philosophy is that it keeps customers coming
back out of curiosity of what will be new for sale.

Karen

Karen[_3_] 08-11-2006 06:29 PM

Trader Joe's

Lou Decruss wrote:
> I'll agree with that, but they're not always too bright. The ones
> I've talked to at least tried. But they do get paid well so I'm sure
> they are motivated. I think they get paid about 12 bucks an hour
> which is pretty good for retail.

TJs gives their employees reviews and raises 4x per year. The cap for a
stocker/clerk at the TJs here is $18/hr.

Karen

Karen[_3_] 08-11-2006 06:33 PM

Trader Joe's

wrote:
> They just opened a new Trader Joe's in Washington DC. I am so excited
> -- I used to have to go to Maryland or Virginia to shop there. If there
> is a Trader Joe's by me, I pretty much dont shop anywhere else. I love
> that place. And the best part is...the one in DC sells beer and wine.
> Ah...good old Charles Shaw wine at 2.99 a bottle.

Two buck Chuck is literally not what it used to be.

Karen

Lou Decruss 08-11-2006 07:02 PM

Trader Joe's

On 8 Nov 2006 09:29:09 -0800, "Karen" > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I'll agree with that, but they're not always too bright. The ones
>> I've talked to at least tried. But they do get paid well so I'm sure
>> they are motivated. I think they get paid about 12 bucks an hour
>> which is pretty good for retail.

>TJs gives their employees reviews and raises 4x per year. The cap for a
>stocker/clerk at the TJs here is $18/hr.
>
>Karen

Wow! Thanks for the info. And somehow they're still making money.
And Walmart can't pay a living wage. I might start liking TJ's more.
Or not. lol

Another Day Another OS 08-11-2006 07:33 PM

Trader Joe's

Lou Decruss wrote:

> Wow! Thanks for the info. And somehow they're still making money.
> And Walmart can't pay a living wage. I might start liking TJ's more.
> Or not. lol

Well Walmart certainly could pay higher wages, but then they couldn't
keep their prices so ridiculously low... and there in lies the
contradiction of the average American - they want to earn union wages,
but they want to drive Volkswagens, Volvos and Honda. They say they
care about losing manufacturing jobs, but IKEA makes & sells all the
chic and trendy stuff they gotta have. $18 an hour for a cashier makes
us feel all warm and fuzzy until that .39 can of beans cost $1 and then
the idea that waving a hand over a scanner constitutes a career makes
less sense.

If Walmart started paying wages on par with specialty stores like TJs
and Whole Foods the complaint would be that the lack of a low cost
retailer, like Walmart, is hurting the poor.

Economic literacy is not the average Americans' strong suit.

Dan Abel 08-11-2006 09:23 PM

Trader Joe's

In article . com>,
"Karen" > wrote:

> wrote:
> > They just opened a new Trader Joe's in Washington DC. I am so excited
> > -- I used to have to go to Maryland or Virginia to shop there. If there
> > is a Trader Joe's by me, I pretty much dont shop anywhere else. I love
> > that place. And the best part is...the one in DC sells beer and wine.
> > Ah...good old Charles Shaw wine at 2.99 a bottle.

> Two buck Chuck is literally not what it used to be.

It is. Except it costs money to ship out of state. I went to TJ's in
the last hour, and two buck chuck is still US$1.99 a bottle. If you buy
on the east coast, it is more expensive, but here in California it is
still 2BC.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Karen[_3_] 08-11-2006 09:26 PM

Trader Joe's

Dan Abel wrote:
> It is. Except it costs money to ship out of state. I went to TJ's in
> the last hour, and two buck chuck is still US$1.99 a bottle. If you buy
> on the east coast, it is more expensive, but here in California it is
> still 2BC.

what I meant was, it does not taste the same. The wine is different.
It's more like Two Buck Puke.

Karen