Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spaghetti squash

I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
I thought that a little weird.....

It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!

I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
it? What is your favorite method?

kili

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?

Slice in half down the equator.
Scoop out seeds.
Bake, face down, until a fork goes in easily.
With that fork, remove strands of spaghetti squash to a plate.
Toss gently with butter, grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not the
plastic dust) or another favorite hard cheese, and dried herbs such as
tarragon, oregano, dill.
If you like garlic, brown a little minced garlic in the butter before
adding to the squash.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:56:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
>I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
>think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
>I thought that a little weird.....
>
>It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
>done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
>I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
>it? What is your favorite method?
>
>kili

I usually cut them in half, remove seeds and bake. Use a fork to get
the flesh out in threads. I use them as pasta and put marinara sauce
on it.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> > it? What is your favorite method?

> Slice in half down the equator.
> Scoop out seeds.
> Bake, face down, until a fork goes in easily.
> With that fork, remove strands of spaghetti squash to a plate.
> Toss gently with butter, grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not the
> plastic dust) or another favorite hard cheese, and dried herbs such as
> tarragon, oregano, dill.
> If you like garlic, brown a little minced garlic in the butter before
> adding to the squash.
>

> --Lia

That sounds entirely do-able! I've got all the necessary ingredients. I
may try that! Thank you, Lia.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:56:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby

and
> >I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> >think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and

cinnamon????
> >I thought that a little weird.....
> >
> >It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes,

I've
> >done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
> >
> >I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you*

prepare
> >it? What is your favorite method?
> >
> >kili

> I usually cut them in half, remove seeds and bake. Use a fork to get
> the flesh out in threads. I use them as pasta and put marinara sauce
> on it.

When I googled, that's pretty much the majority of the recipes. How does it
taste as pasta? Equal to, or, bitter, or stringy, or what? I'm new to this
veggie.....

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "kilikini" >
> :
>
> > I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday
> > hubby and I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care
> > for it, but I think that's because my step-mom made it with butter,
> > sugar and cinnamon???? I thought that a little weird.....
> >
> > It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and
> > yes, I've done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
> >
> > I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you*
> > prepare it? What is your favorite method?
> >
> > kili

> I love spaghetti squash and don't make it nearly enough. Sometimes I'll
> toss the cooked insides with olive oil, garlic and basil. I'll sprinkle

on
> some parmesan and chow down. Sometimes I'll top it with spaghetti sauce.
> Other times I just like butter, s&p on it. It's really verstile. I
> sometimes access this site for recipe ideas.
>
> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/feature...pagsquash.html
>
> Michael

Thank you! Okay, that's two votes for olive oil/butter, parm, garlic and
herbs. Yay!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby
> and
> I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and
> cinnamon????
> I thought that a little weird.....

Yeah... that's an unusual recipe. ;-/

> It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes,
> I've
> done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you*
> prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?

Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and bake, face-down at about 350.
(Piercing the skin with a fork seems to help it cook faster.) When you can
scrape your fork across the squash and have the inside *easily* come out as
strands, it is ready (usually, depending on the size of the squash, about 45
minutes).

In the meantime, saute some onions in olive oil. Throw in some zucchini
after the onions are clear. After zucchini starts to brown, throw in some
diced tomato and salt. Simmer on low for about 8 minutes.

To serve, put the spaghetti squash on the plate, put the veggie mix on top
of that, and top with either parmesan or mozzarella (I make both available,
and some of the family uses both).

My son loves it this way.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"WhansaMi" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby
> > and
> > I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> > think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and
> > cinnamon????
> > I thought that a little weird.....

> Yeah... that's an unusual recipe. ;-/
>

> > It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes,
> > I've
> > done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
> >
> > I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you*
> > prepare
> > it? What is your favorite method?
> >

> Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and bake, face-down at about 350.
> (Piercing the skin with a fork seems to help it cook faster.) When you

can
> scrape your fork across the squash and have the inside *easily* come out

as
> strands, it is ready (usually, depending on the size of the squash, about

45
> minutes).
>
> In the meantime, saute some onions in olive oil. Throw in some zucchini
> after the onions are clear. After zucchini starts to brown, throw in some
> diced tomato and salt. Simmer on low for about 8 minutes.
>
> To serve, put the spaghetti squash on the plate, put the veggie mix on top
> of that, and top with either parmesan or mozzarella (I make both

available,
> and some of the family uses both).
>
> My son loves it this way.
>
> Sheila

Ooooh, that sounds wonderful! I almost bought some zucchini the other day,
but I can easily remedy that today. I have yellow squash, too, which might
be good mixed with the zucchini and tomatoes in there!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
.. .

> Ooooh, that sounds wonderful! I almost bought some zucchini the other
> day,
> but I can easily remedy that today. I have yellow squash, too, which
> might
> be good mixed with the zucchini and tomatoes in there!
>
> kili

Yeah, I looove yellow squash. I forgot that I throw that in there too, if I
have it around.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> When I googled, that's pretty much the majority of the recipes. How does it
> taste as pasta? Equal to, or, bitter, or stringy, or what? I'm new to this
> veggie.

That's an intersting question. In my opinion, spaghetti squash doesn't
work as regular pasta when it comes to marinara sauce, but I've never
been able to put my finger on why. You'd think it would work, but it
doesn't. The vegetable flavor is very delicate, but then the flavor of
pasta is delicate to the point of non-existence. Pasta has a firmer
texture. Maybe that's it. Neither is bitter. If I were in your shoes,
I'd try spaghetti squash with a little marinara sauce, then go back to
the butter/cheese/herbs option.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini typed:

> "Julia Altshuler" wrote
>> kilikini wrote:
>> if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
>>> it? What is your favorite method?

>> Slice in half down the equator.
>> Scoop out seeds.
>> Bake, face down, until a fork goes in easily.
>> With that fork, remove strands of spaghetti squash to a plate.
>> Toss gently with butter, grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff,
>> not the
>> plastic dust) or another favorite hard cheese, and dried herbs such
>> as
>> tarragon, oregano, dill.
>> If you like garlic, brown a little minced garlic in the butter
>> before
>> adding to the squash.
>>

>> --Lia
>>

> That sounds entirely do-able! I've got all the necessary
> ingredients. I
> may try that! Thank you, Lia.
>
> kili

Or, another time, you can try Lia's method but on the grill. Then use
exactly (within your restrictions) like you would use the pasta that
spaghetti squash resembles.
Best wishes, and good luck.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler typed:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> When I googled, that's pretty much the majority of the recipes.
>> How does it
>> taste as pasta? Equal to, or, bitter, or stringy, or what? I'm
>> new to this
>> veggie.

> That's an intersting question. In my opinion, spaghetti squash
> doesn't
> work as regular pasta when it comes to marinara sauce, but I've
> never
> been able to put my finger on why. You'd think it would work, but
> it
> doesn't. The vegetable flavor is very delicate, but then the flavor
> of
> pasta is delicate to the point of non-existence. Pasta has a firmer
> texture. Maybe that's it. Neither is bitter. If I were in your
> shoes,
> I'd try spaghetti squash with a little marinara sauce, then go back
> the butter/cheese/herbs option.
>

> --Lia

I've used spaghetti squash exactly as I'd use pasta, and yes, you are
right. There's something that's not exactly "right", but never had it
taste..."bad". I like to experiment and as far as I'm concerned, the
butter and a good pesto (with the obligatory pine nuts) is best.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini typed:
> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote...
>> "kilikini" typed:
>>
>>> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday
>>> hubby and I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't
>>> care
>>> for it, but I think that's because my step-mom made it with
>>> butter,
>>> sugar and cinnamon???? I thought that a little weird.....
>>>
>>> It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and
>>> yes, I've done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>>>
>>> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do
>>> *you*
>>> prepare it? What is your favorite method?
>>>
>>> kili

>> I love spaghetti squash and don't make it nearly enough. Sometimes
>> I'll
>> toss the cooked insides with olive oil, garlic and basil. I'll
>> sprinkle on
>> some parmesan and chow down. Sometimes I'll top it with spaghetti
>> sauce.
>> Other times I just like butter, s&p on it. It's really verstile. I
>> sometimes access this site for recipe ideas.
>>
>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/feature...pagsquash.html
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Thank you! Okay, that's two votes for olive oil/butter, parm,
> garlic and
> herbs. Yay!
>
> kili

Make that three or four.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
> I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
> I thought that a little weird.....
>
> It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
> done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?
>
> kili
>
> --
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Eeew! Butter / sugar / cinnamon works well on butternut or acorn squash
(and similar), but not on spaghetti squash.

For preparation I normally microwave the spaghetti squash as I've found
it to be fastest and easiest and produce about the same results as any
other cooking method.

For what to have with / on it, pretty much anything you would have with
/ on conventional spaghetti. I tend to go for a freshly made putanesca
type sauce to keep the vegetable theme, but most anything will work fine
from bolegnese to alfredo to pesto, etc. I find that a spin in a salad
spinner helps get rid of excess liquid so that sauce will stick
properly.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
> I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
> I thought that a little weird.....
>
> It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
> done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?
>
> kili
>
> --
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Already posted mine... Did you see it?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:56:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
> >I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> >think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
> >I thought that a little weird.....
> >
> >It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
> >done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
> >
> >I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> >it? What is your favorite method?
> >
> >kili

> I usually cut them in half, remove seeds and bake. Use a fork to get
> the flesh out in threads. I use them as pasta and put marinara sauce
> on it.

Ditto here, but I rinse it first.
I also add sliced mushrooms to the sauce.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and bake, face-down at about 350.
> (Piercing the skin with a fork seems to help it cook faster.) When you
> can scrape your fork across the squash and have the inside *easily* come
> out as strands, it is ready (usually, depending on the size of the squash,
> about 45 minutes).
>
> In the meantime, saute some onions in olive oil. Throw in some zucchini
> after the onions are clear. After zucchini starts to brown, throw in some
> diced tomato and salt. Simmer on low for about 8 minutes.
>
> To serve, put the spaghetti squash on the plate, put the veggie mix on top
> of that, and top with either parmesan or mozzarella (I make both
> available, and some of the family uses both).
>
> My son loves it this way.
>
> Sheila

I just remembered a couple of things -- if my son isn't around, I usually
put a bit of garlic in with the onion (DS isn't a big garlic fan). Also, I
sometimes butter the spaghetti squash strands after they've been pulled. It
imparts a nice flavor.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby
> and
> I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and
> cinnamon????
> I thought that a little weird.....
>
> It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes,
> I've
> done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you*
> prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?
>
> kili
>
> --
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Here's a delicious tried-and-true recipe I got from a cooking magazine for
diabetics. I don't know what dietary restrictions you have, but perhaps you
can modify the recipe to suit your needs.

Karen

SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used only 1)
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup (8 oz.) 1% cottage cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons seasoned dried bread crumbs

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish and a baking sheet
with cooking spray. Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet. Bake for
30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork,
scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.

2. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the
onion, garlic, and basil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is
soft. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is
dry.

3. To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley,
salt, and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking
dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.

4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Makes 6 servings

Per serving: 142 cal; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 11 mg.
cholesterol; 3 g fiber; 405 mg. sodium

Diet exchanges: 0 milk, 1 1/2 vegetable; 0 fruit; 1/2 bread; 1 1/2 meat; 1
fat

From Prevention magazine's "Outsmart Diabetes Cookbook"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
> I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
> I thought that a little weird.....
>
> It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
> done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?

It's not my favorite squash (a pain to cook) but the few times I do
make spaghetti squash I prefer to eat it cold, as a salad (like slaw
you don't have to shred). Any dressing will work but I really like
spaghetti squash best with an oriental style dressing... add other raw
veggies, various colored peppers julienned, shredded carrot, some napa,
'shrooms, snow peas, whatever you like. To make you feel to home
perhaps a sweet n' sour fruit salad... toss with a can of crushed
pineapple, any fruits... citrus is good, apples, grapes, any combo,
even nuts... toasted cashews go well. Don't wanna spring for cashews
then toasted sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, some raisins, drizzle
with honey, fresh lemon juice, a few mini marshmallows, a cherry, a
splash of rum... that'll tickle your kumquat! <g>

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
> I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
> I thought that a little weird.....

Maybe she confused it with winter squashes, which do taste good that
way. Sweet potatoes, too.

> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?

Steamed or microwaved, with butter, S&P. It tends to be watery, so drain
it good. We find it pretty bland, a lot like yellow squash in texture
but with less flavor. It's one of the few things I put salt on. I'm not
fond of it with marinara, it's too crunchy.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> kilikini wrote:
> > I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
> > I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> > think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
> > I thought that a little weird.....
> >
> > It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
> > done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
> >
> > I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> > it? What is your favorite method?

> It's not my favorite squash (a pain to cook) but the few times I do
> make spaghetti squash I prefer to eat it cold, as a salad (like slaw
> you don't have to shred). Any dressing will work but I really like
> spaghetti squash best with an oriental style dressing... add other raw
> veggies, various colored peppers julienned, shredded carrot, some napa,
> 'shrooms, snow peas, whatever you like. To make you feel to home
> perhaps a sweet n' sour fruit salad... toss with a can of crushed
> pineapple, any fruits... citrus is good, apples, grapes, any combo,
> even nuts... toasted cashews go well. Don't wanna spring for cashews
> then toasted sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, some raisins, drizzle
> with honey, fresh lemon juice, a few mini marshmallows, a cherry, a
> splash of rum... that'll tickle your kumquat! <g>
>
> Sheldon

That sounds really interesting Sheldon! :-)

I'd not add fruit personally but I'm betting it'd add an interesting
texture to a green salad with tomatoes etc.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> kilikini typed:
> >
> > "Julia Altshuler" wrote
> >> kilikini wrote:

> Or, another time, you can try Lia's method but on the grill. Then use
> exactly (within your restrictions) like you would use the pasta that
> spaghetti squash resembles.
> Best wishes, and good luck.
>
> BOB

Grilled sounds interesting, BOB. We may have to give that a try sometime!
I wonder if the hubby would eat it then?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> kilikini wrote:
>
> > When I googled, that's pretty much the majority of the recipes. How

does it
> > taste as pasta? Equal to, or, bitter, or stringy, or what? I'm new to

this
> > veggie.

> That's an intersting question. In my opinion, spaghetti squash doesn't
> work as regular pasta when it comes to marinara sauce, but I've never
> been able to put my finger on why. You'd think it would work, but it
> doesn't. The vegetable flavor is very delicate, but then the flavor of
> pasta is delicate to the point of non-existence. Pasta has a firmer
> texture. Maybe that's it. Neither is bitter. If I were in your shoes,
> I'd try spaghetti squash with a little marinara sauce, then go back to
> the butter/cheese/herbs option.
>

> --Lia

Thank you! I may try one half of the squash with sauce and the other with
the butter/cheese/herb thing. Between both, I'll have a much better idea of
what to do in the future

I appreciate your input!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> kilikini typed:
> > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote...
> >> "kilikini" typed:
> >>

> > Thank you! Okay, that's two votes for olive oil/butter, parm,
> > garlic and
> > herbs. Yay!
> >
> > kili

> Make that three or four.
>
> BOB

LOL, deal!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"Pete C." > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> >

> Eeew! Butter / sugar / cinnamon works well on butternut or acorn squash
> (and similar), but not on spaghetti squash.
>
> For preparation I normally microwave the spaghetti squash as I've found
> it to be fastest and easiest and produce about the same results as any
> other cooking method.
>
> For what to have with / on it, pretty much anything you would have with
> / on conventional spaghetti. I tend to go for a freshly made putanesca
> type sauce to keep the vegetable theme, but most anything will work fine
> from bolegnese to alfredo to pesto, etc. I find that a spin in a salad
> spinner helps get rid of excess liquid so that sauce will stick
> properly.
>
> Pete C.

Good tips, Pete! I appreciate it! Thanks.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>

> Already posted mine... Did you see it?
> --
> Peace, Om

I think I did and I think that's what inspired me to buy the squash! LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"WhansaMi" > wrote in message

> "WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> > Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and bake, face-down at about

350.
> > (Piercing the skin with a fork seems to help it cook faster.) When you
> > can scrape your fork across the squash and have the inside *easily* come
> > out as strands, it is ready (usually, depending on the size of the

squash,
> > about 45 minutes).
> >
> > In the meantime, saute some onions in olive oil. Throw in some zucchini
> > after the onions are clear. After zucchini starts to brown, throw in

some
> > diced tomato and salt. Simmer on low for about 8 minutes.
> >
> > To serve, put the spaghetti squash on the plate, put the veggie mix on

top
> > of that, and top with either parmesan or mozzarella (I make both
> > available, and some of the family uses both).
> >
> > My son loves it this way.
> >
> > Sheila

> I just remembered a couple of things -- if my son isn't around, I usually
> put a bit of garlic in with the onion (DS isn't a big garlic fan). Also,

> sometimes butter the spaghetti squash strands after they've been pulled.

It
> imparts a nice flavor.
>
> Sheila

Gotcha, okay. I think this is the route I'm going to use today, so.....
onions, yellow squash, garlic, butter, basil, oregano and parmesan. I also
have fish defrosting that I may or may not need depending upon whether or
not my husband's going to try the squash with me. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen in NC" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> . ..

> Here's a delicious tried-and-true recipe I got from a cooking magazine for
> diabetics. I don't know what dietary restrictions you have, but perhaps

you
> can modify the recipe to suit your needs.
>
> Karen
>
> SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE
>
> 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used only 1)
> 1 teaspoon dried basil
> 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
> 1 cup (8 oz.) 1% cottage cheese
> 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
> 1/4 cup chopped parsley
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
> 3 tablespoons seasoned dried bread crumbs
>
> 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish and a baking

sheet
> with cooking spray. Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet. Bake

for
> 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork,
> scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.
>
> 2. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add

the
> onion, garlic, and basil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is
> soft. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is
> dry.
>
> 3. To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella,

parsley,
> salt, and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking
> dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.
>
> 4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Makes 6

servings

> Per serving: 142 cal; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 11

mg.
> cholesterol; 3 g fiber; 405 mg. sodium
>
> Diet exchanges: 0 milk, 1 1/2 vegetable; 0 fruit; 1/2 bread; 1 1/2 meat; 1
> fat
>
> From Prevention magazine's "Outsmart Diabetes Cookbook"

That sounds like a keeper! Wow! Okay, since squash is so cheap right now,
this is on the menu for this week. Thanks!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> It's not my favorite squash (a pain to cook) but the few times I do
> make spaghetti squash I prefer to eat it cold, as a salad (like slaw
> you don't have to shred). Any dressing will work but I really like
> spaghetti squash best with an oriental style dressing... add other raw
> veggies, various colored peppers julienned, shredded carrot, some napa,
> 'shrooms, snow peas, whatever you like. To make you feel to home
> perhaps a sweet n' sour fruit salad... toss with a can of crushed
> pineapple, any fruits... citrus is good, apples, grapes, any combo,
> even nuts... toasted cashews go well. Don't wanna spring for cashews
> then toasted sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, some raisins, drizzle
> with honey, fresh lemon juice, a few mini marshmallows, a cherry, a
> splash of rum... that'll tickle your kumquat! <g>
>
> Sheldon

I have sesame oil, sesame seeds, fish sauce, mirin, soy sauce, rice
vinegar...... I can make it as oriental as I want. You guys are the best!
I can't wait to try all these ideas!

Thanks, Sheldon!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"Dawn" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
>
> > I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby

and
> > I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> > think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and

cinnamon????
> > I thought that a little weird.....

> Maybe she confused it with winter squashes, which do taste good that
> way. Sweet potatoes, too.

Maybe she did, but I'll *never* forget the yellowy strands speckled with
cinnamon and sugar. That's why I never tried it since!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:56:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
>I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
>think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
>I thought that a little weird.....
>
>It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
>done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
>I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
>it? What is your favorite method?

I posted mine yesterday. Split lengthwise, remove innards, roast at
350 for 45-60 minutes. Scoop out and serve with a ton of butter,
salt, and pepper. You can leave out the butter. I did last week. I'm
thinking it would be good with curry powder, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:29:53 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>When I googled, that's pretty much the majority of the recipes. How does it
>taste as pasta? Equal to, or, bitter, or stringy, or what? I'm new to this
>veggie.....

To me, it tastes a lot like carrots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
>> kilikini typed:
>>>
>>> "Julia Altshuler" wrote

>> Or, another time, you can try Lia's method but on the grill. Then
>> use exactly (within your restrictions) like you would use the pasta
>> that spaghetti squash resembles.
>> Best wishes, and good luck.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> Grilled sounds interesting, BOB. We may have to give that a try
> sometime! I wonder if the hubby would eat it then?
>
> kili

In my experience you can grill almost any squash. I don't care for
spaghetti squash as a "pasta" but why not grill it? Every other squash I've
tried, from summer yellow to zuchinni (courgettes) to winter acorn,
buttercup, butternut and even hubbard and turban (heh) don't mind being
grilled. Small pumpkins can be split and grilled too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:56:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby

and
> >I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> >think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and

cinnamon????
> >I thought that a little weird.....
> >
> >It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes,

I've
> >done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
> >
> >I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you*

prepare
> >it? What is your favorite method?

> I posted mine yesterday. Split lengthwise, remove innards, roast at
> 350 for 45-60 minutes. Scoop out and serve with a ton of butter,
> salt, and pepper. You can leave out the butter. I did last week. I'm
> thinking it would be good with curry powder, too.

It probably would, Dams! If I like today's version I'll be buying quite a
bit of this stuff, so now I have many ways to cook it!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
> I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
> think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
> I thought that a little weird.....
>
> It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
> done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
> I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
> it? What is your favorite method?

The simplest cooking method I've found is to split it
lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and put the halves
cut-side-down on a mike-safe plate, cover with plastic wrap
and nuke it. Depending on size, anywhere from 8 to maybe 12
minutes until a knife can poke through the skin easily or if
you press on it, it gives relatively easily. A couple tries
will teach your fingers about how much it should give when
pressed.

I think a lot of people are led astray from the name. It's
nothing like spaghetti beyond shape. The texture is
obviously vegetal. So is the flavor - it tastes like squash,
which is to say not boldly flavored, but definitely vegetal
rather than like a grain product. Treating it like spaghetti
is like kissing my sister. Oh sure, it's a kiss; it's just
not a real kiss.

It's a squash with a stranded texture rather than the more
usual pulpy mouthfeel of butternut, acorn or pumpkin.
Butter, sugar and cinnamon is one of the more conventional
presentations of squashes. Boldly seasoned dressings will
simply overwhelm the mild flavor of the squash.

The simplest way I like it is to add butter and a little
salt and serve hot. Occasionally, I'll pour a few drops of
heavy cream on and toss for a slightly different texture.
Also done it with a thickened apple juice-cream-chicken
drippings gravy to good effect. Dressed once with plain
goose fat rendered from roasting the goose. Shake of salt
and a grating of pepper. Made fritters by chopping the
cooked strands, adding flour, seasonings, and white wine,
and deep frying. I've added it to other veggies to provide
contrast: Brussels sprouts sauteed in butter and olive oil,
mashed turnips, warm lentil salads.

Cold, chop it and make a cole-slaw-like salad. Or add some
to any leafy salad. I once made little nests of the cooked
strands (like the shape fine noodles sometime come in) as a
salad, garnished with whole canned quail eggs sitting in the
middle like a bird's nest. Startling at first to the folks
assembled, but a good flavor and texture combination once
the eating started.

It ain't spaghetti, it don't eat like spaghetti. If you
think of it as a substitute for spaghetti, I suspect you'll
be unsatisfied with the results. If you think of it as a new
veggie and deal with it accordingly, I think you might find
it more to your liking.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:29:53 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >When I googled, that's pretty much the majority of the recipes. How does

it
> >taste as pasta? Equal to, or, bitter, or stringy, or what? I'm new to

this
> >veggie.....

> To me, it tastes a lot like carrots.

Huh..... that's interesting! Well, I'll find out what I think in a matter
of hours. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> >> kilikini typed:

> > Grilled sounds interesting, BOB. We may have to give that a try
> > sometime! I wonder if the hubby would eat it then?
> >
> > kili

> In my experience you can grill almost any squash. I don't care for
> spaghetti squash as a "pasta" but why not grill it? Every other squash

I've
> tried, from summer yellow to zuchinni (courgettes) to winter acorn,
> buttercup, butternut and even hubbard and turban (heh) don't mind being
> grilled. Small pumpkins can be split and grilled too.
>
> Jill

I've never really experimented much with squash - probably because my mother
never cooked with it and it's not readily available in Hawaii. It's my new
challenge!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:51:16 GMT, "Karen in NC"
> wrote:

>SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE

Thank you, Karen! The holiday season is drawing near, and I know I'll
be eating lots of things that a good diabetic shouldn't touch. Having
a healthful dish like this available will be great. Are the rest of
the recipes in this cookbook wonderful, too?

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:35:44 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I'm thinking it would be good with curry powder, too.

>It probably would, Dams! If I like today's version I'll be buying quite a
>bit of this stuff, so now I have many ways to cook it!

I like it so much, I planted it in the garden this summer so I'd have
lots for the fall and winter. Darned stuff cross-pollinated with the
pumpkins. We wound up with a lot of strange-looking, mutant
squash-like objects out there. One pumpkin that was a little larger
than a softball. I did salvage one spaghetti squash, though. Enough
for four meals! I was scared to try some of that other stuff. I
should've taken pictures.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:56:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I'm trying new things due to my dietary restrictions and yesterday hubby and
>I got a spaghetti squash. I've had it before, didn't care for it, but I
>think that's because my step-mom made it with butter, sugar and cinnamon????
>I thought that a little weird.....
>
>It's a rather small spaghetti squash; I'd say.....2 pounds max and yes, I've
>done the Google thing, tons of recipes out there!
>
>I'm just curious, if you've ever made spaghetti squash, how do *you* prepare
>it? What is your favorite method?

Your step-mom treated it like acorn squash. No no no! Don't do that.

I cut spaghetti squash in half and bake it cut side down on a cookie
sheet. When it's cooked, I scrape the insides out with a fork then I
put lots of butter on it.... I make it savory with the addition of
parmesan or romano cheese and toss. I see a recipe that calls for
basil. That would work for me too.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/nu...s/spag_squash/

--
See return address to reply by email

Spaghetti Squash Pie Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 29 10-10-2010 02:36 PM
Spaghetti Squash Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 16 25-09-2010 10:21 AM
Spaghetti Squash Z GIRL General Cooking 26 12-10-2009 04:50 PM
SPAGHETTI SQUASH Mikie[_3_] General Cooking 12 23-05-2009 07:27 PM
Spaghetti Squash Emily[_2_] Diabetic 15 05-08-2007 03:59 AM