Posted to rec.food.cooking
s s is offline

Default does baileys go bad if not refrigerated?

i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"s" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> i know this liquor is described as a 'cream'
> but can it go bad if it has all that alcohol in it?
>
> does it need to be refrigerated when stored
> unopened? why does it have an expiry date?

Bailey's doesn't go bad, per se, but it does get stale. Many liqueurs, eaux
de vie, grappas, etc. lose quality once they're opened. I've always
attributed it to oxidation.
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" > wrote:

>i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
>has all that alcohol in it?
>
>does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
>have an expiry date?

We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
drinks at someone's request.

IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
any longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jessica V." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> s wrote:
>> i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.
>>
>> i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
>> has all that alcohol in it?

> Yes it can go bad. [...]

What I want to know is how could anyone leave Bailey's Irish Cream
alone long enough for it to go bad?

I haven't had it for years, but recall how delicious is was cold and
straight up, or warm and straight up with a cup of coffee on the side.

It is more like a desert than an alcoholic beverage. One time I had
three shots and had such a sugar buzz I could barely feel the
alcohol!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jacqui{JB}" > wrote:

> "s" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> > i know this liquor is described as a 'cream'
> > but can it go bad if it has all that alcohol in it?
> >
> > does it need to be refrigerated when stored
> > unopened? why does it have an expiry date?

> Bailey's doesn't go bad, per se, but it does get stale. Many liqueurs, eaux
> de vie, grappas, etc. lose quality once they're opened. I've always
> attributed it to oxidation.
> -j

Keeping some liquors in the freezer seems to help a lot with that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" > wrote:
>
> >i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
> >has all that alcohol in it?
> >
> >does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
> >have an expiry date?

> We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
> least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
> drinks at someone's request.
>
> IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
> contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
> any longer.

There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.

- Scott

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Oct 2006 07:00:50 -0800, "scottdanzig" >
wrote:

>There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
>Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.

Scott....I guess it was sitting next to the brandy....<vbg>....and as
I recall, the Bailey's was a Christmas gift from 1997. Liquor is not
my beverage of choice. Now a Bud Lite is another story!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

s wrote:
> i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.
>
> i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
> has all that alcohol in it?
>
> does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
> have an expiry date?
>
> thanks

Yes it can go bad. It can even go bad unopened. About a decade ago my
husband's grandmother was told by the Dr. to lay off the booze. She
had cases of hard liquor & liquers in the wine cellar, for cocktail
parties and bridge games of course. When she finally decided to let go
of most of her hoarde we were gifted with a case of Bailey's among
other things.

The Bailey's could not have been more disgusting, whiskey and cream had
separated, foul smelling whiskey floated on top op the solidified cream
in the bottom of each bottle. I never again want to smell Bailey's
that has gone bad.

Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jessica V. wrote:

> Yes it can go bad. It can even go bad unopened. About a decade ago my
> husband's grandmother was told by the Dr. to lay off the booze. She
> had cases of hard liquor & liquers in the wine cellar, for cocktail
> parties and bridge games of course. When she finally decided to let go
> of most of her hoarde we were gifted with a case of Bailey's among
> other things.
>
> The Bailey's could not have been more disgusting, whiskey and cream had
> separated, foul smelling whiskey floated on top op the solidified cream
> in the bottom of each bottle. I never again want to smell Bailey's
> that has gone bad.

We found just such an unopened bottle when cleaning out a friends
parents house. You could shake it up and see sort of a "lava lamp" type
effect.

> Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"scottdanzig" > wrote:

> Ward Abbott wrote:
> > On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" > wrote:
> >
> > >i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
> > >has all that alcohol in it?
> > >
> > >does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
> > >have an expiry date?

> > We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
> > least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
> > drinks at someone's request.
> >
> > IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
> > contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
> > any longer.

> There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
> Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.
>
> - Scott

<snork> A small bottle of baileys will last about 2 weeks around here.
Both my dad and I like it as a dessert. About 1/2 shot each, sipped
slllooowwwlllyyy!

Alas, it's going to be awhile before anymore booze is allowed in the
house. <sigh> I'm going to give it a good month then see what happens.

The biggest problem is that I'm having a helluva time sleeping, even
using Melatonin. :-( I'm going to make up a batch of catnip and
chamomile tea today and try that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> The biggest problem is that I'm having a helluva time sleeping, even
> using Melatonin. :-( I'm going to make up a batch of catnip and
> chamomile tea today and try that.

Om, have you tried just a little dairy before bed? I don't
drink milk, but sometimes want a little something before I
go to sleep, while I am reading in bed. I grab whatever
light thing is around, and noticed that I sleep deeper when
it has dairy in it. I mean, I fall asleep faster and feel like I
am dragging myself up out of it when I wake up. Very
pleasant for someone with lifelong sleep problems.

Examples: a little salad with a sprinkle of cheddar and ranch.
(LOW CARB, too! And light on calories but long on flavor.)
A couple spoons of cottage cheese. (Gotta be Breakstone's
4%!) Part of a small, light yogurt. (Dannon Carb solutions is
very nice in blueberry.)

By the time it settles and I brush my teeth, I am usually getting
sleepy. Maybe it's the tryptophan? If so, a bit of turkey might
also work.

Good luck with it, insomnia is miserable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" > wrote:
>
>> i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
>> has all that alcohol in it?
>>
>> does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
>> have an expiry date?

> We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
> least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
> drinks at someone's request.
>
> IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
> contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
> any longer.

I've had the same experience and the Bailey's wasn't all that old.
The cream sours when it's been open for a while, faster if held at room
temperature.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"s" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.
>
> i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
> has all that alcohol in it?
>
> does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
> have an expiry date?
>
> thanks

I've no idea, I've never managed to keep bottle longer than a week! It
tastes great out of the fridge over ice, with added tia maria....

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
>Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.

So true!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

s wrote:
> i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.
>
> i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
> has all that alcohol in it?
>
> does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
> have an expiry date?

http://www.us.baileys.com/faq.php

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default was does baileys now, sleep aid

Try valerian root. It is completely non-addictive and won't leave you
feeling "drugged" in the morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"s" > wrote:
> does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
> have an expiry date?
>
> thanks

There's a difference between spoiled-and-makes-you-sick and
spoiled-and-you-don't-want-to-use-it. I'm guessing this is a case of
the latter.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> >
> > The biggest problem is that I'm having a helluva time sleeping, even
> > using Melatonin. :-( I'm going to make up a batch of catnip and
> > chamomile tea today and try that.

> Om, have you tried just a little dairy before bed? I don't
> drink milk, but sometimes want a little something before I
> go to sleep, while I am reading in bed. I grab whatever
> light thing is around, and noticed that I sleep deeper when
> it has dairy in it. I mean, I fall asleep faster and feel like I
> am dragging myself up out of it when I wake up. Very
> pleasant for someone with lifelong sleep problems.

Dairy contains Tryptophan... I'd forgotten about the warm milk remedy,
thanks for the reminder! I'll probably try some 2%.

I do have some mozarella block in the 'frige too. I'd not tried using
cheese tho. Maybe some cottage cheese.

> Examples: a little salad with a sprinkle of cheddar and ranch.
> (LOW CARB, too! And light on calories but long on flavor.)
> A couple spoons of cottage cheese. (Gotta be Breakstone's
> 4%!) Part of a small, light yogurt. (Dannon Carb solutions is
> very nice in blueberry.)

I'd not tried Dannon Carb solution. I usually get Dannon light or the
store's generic light.

> By the time it settles and I brush my teeth, I am usually getting
> sleepy. Maybe it's the tryptophan? If so, a bit of turkey might
> also work.
>
> Good luck with it, insomnia is miserable.

I'm used to using alcohol to relax me enough to go to sleep. ;-)
It's beginning to cause health problems so it's time to give it up, at
least drinking on a daily basis. Granted, I did not drink all that much
(4 to 6 oz. hard liquor per day and that only late in the day before
going to sleep and 6 oz. was on weekends) but....... I'm going to try
again.

This will be my third try in 3 years. We'll see. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"rkoloms" > wrote:

> Try valerian root. It is completely non-addictive and won't leave you
> feeling "drugged" in the morning.

Thanks! I actually have some somewhere. I'll look around.

The cats like it as much as they like catnip and will bat the container
around the floor rubbing on it if they get to it. I never give them more
than a crumb tho' as I'm not entirely sure how safe it is for them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.