FoodBanter.com

-   -   Too many cucumbers! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/105097-too-many-cucumbers.html)

Ken Knecht 27-10-2006 05:46 PM

Too many cucumbers!

My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
not into making pickles.

Any suggestions?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Elisa 27-10-2006 05:58 PM

Too many cucumbers!

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

My kids like them sliced and peeled in a dish with red wine vinegar and
italian seasoning.

Elisa

Andy[_2_] 27-10-2006 06:26 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Elisa said...

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
>> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>>
>> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad

and
>> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
>> not into making pickles.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> My kids like them sliced and peeled in a dish with red wine vinegar and
> italian seasoning.
>
> Elisa

I love an oil and vinegar based cucumber salad, with onion, sugar,
radish. Tastes better as time goes by!!!

Andy

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 06:35 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >,
Ken Knecht > wrote:

> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

Pickles!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ace Berserker 27-10-2006 06:43 PM

Too many cucumbers!

> Ken Knecht > wrote:
> > My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> > politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
> >
> > What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> > it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many.

Tzatziki is an option.
My brother makes a nice cuke salad with sour cream and dill, too.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 06:43 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Elisa said...
>

> > "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> >> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> >> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
> >>
> >> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad

> and
> >> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> >> not into making pickles.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> > My kids like them sliced and peeled in a dish with red wine vinegar and
> > italian seasoning.
> >
> > Elisa

> I love an oil and vinegar based cucumber salad, with onion, sugar,
> radish. Tastes better as time goes by!!!
>
> Andy

Dad loves them in sandwiches... :-)

I like them that way too, but the "burp" factor gets to me, even peeled!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Julia Altshuler 27-10-2006 06:54 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:
> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?

Take a cue from your neighbor and learn how to pawn them off on the next
person. I've had good luck giving away excess produce at the public
library. Also try calling your local food bank. Some will even pick up.

--Lia

aem 27-10-2006 06:54 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:
> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? [snip]

Somewhat surprisingly, they stirfry really well. Some have tough skins
that should be peeled first, but the ones they call English are okay
without peeling. So, something like this:

Marinate thinly sliced pork (from butt or tenderloin) in sherry, soy,
salt and a little cornstarch.

Halve cucumber(s) lengthwise, then slice 1/4" thick. Scrape out seeds
if large.

Slice plenty of garlic and roughly chop some fermented black beans.

Slice a medium red bell pepper.

Now do your stirfry thing in a hot pan./wok. First the pork, then
after a minute, the beans and garlic. Remove before fully cooked. Add
the cuke and pepper, stirfry just until limp, about 3 minutes. Add
back the pork mixture and a splash of chicken broth (or water).
Optional: a pinch of sugar and a few drops of sesame oil at the end.

This works with chicken, too, though I think the pork stands up to
black beans and garlic better than chicken does. -aem

Andy[_2_] 27-10-2006 07:04 PM

Too many cucumbers!

OmManiPadmeOmelet said...

> I like them that way too, but the "burp" factor gets to me, even peeled!

Om,

Use the "seedless" English cucumbers to cut down on the burps! They're not
entirely seedless but it makes a big difference.

I always peel cucumbers. I don't care for the waxy skin texture.

Andy

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 07:08 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article om>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Ken Knecht wrote:
> > My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> > politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
> >
> > What can I do with them? [snip]

> Somewhat surprisingly, they stirfry really well. Some have tough skins
> that should be peeled first, but the ones they call English are okay
> without peeling. So, something like this:
>
> Marinate thinly sliced pork (from butt or tenderloin) in sherry, soy,
> salt and a little cornstarch.
>
> Halve cucumber(s) lengthwise, then slice 1/4" thick. Scrape out seeds
> if large.
>
> Slice plenty of garlic and roughly chop some fermented black beans.
>
> Slice a medium red bell pepper.
>
> Now do your stirfry thing in a hot pan./wok. First the pork, then
> after a minute, the beans and garlic. Remove before fully cooked. Add
> the cuke and pepper, stirfry just until limp, about 3 minutes. Add
> back the pork mixture and a splash of chicken broth (or water).
> Optional: a pinch of sugar and a few drops of sesame oil at the end.
>

> This works with chicken, too, though I think the pork stands up to
> black beans and garlic better than chicken does. -aem

I'll second that.
I've used excess ones in stir fry before as well, and they turn out
remarkably well.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 07:16 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet said...
>
> > I like them that way too, but the "burp" factor gets to me, even peeled!

> Om,
>
> Use the "seedless" English cucumbers to cut down on the burps! They're not
> entirely seedless but it makes a big difference.
>
> I always peel cucumbers. I don't care for the waxy skin texture.
>
> Andy

I'll look for those thanks.

Would it help if I simply removed the seeds?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

JCW 27-10-2006 07:17 PM

Too many cucumbers!

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:35:12 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Pickles!

From the original post: " I'm not into making pickles. "

Andy[_2_] 27-10-2006 07:24 PM

Too many cucumbers!

OmManiPadmeOmelet said...

> Would it help if I simply removed the seeds?

Yep and it would be the less expensive solution!

Andy

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 07:32 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet said...
>
> > Would it help if I simply removed the seeds?

> Yep and it would be the less expensive solution!
>
> Andy

Thanks for the advice. :-)
I really do like cucumbers but could not stand the gastric side effects.

Time to give them another try.

They are really good sliced up and stuffed into a pita with mayo,
sprouts and thinly sliced roma tomato.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Jke 27-10-2006 08:02 PM

Too many cucumbers!

"Ken Knecht" > schreef in bericht
> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

They can be used in cooking, especially in stir freis

There is also a quick pickle, atjar (acar), which I suspect is Indonesian in
origin. Very easy to make, will keep in the fridge for days-weeks. I seem to
remember it involves bringing vinegar and sugar to the boil and pouring io
over cut, hardish veggies. Turmeric and other flavors are optional
additions. Very nice with fried rice.

kilikini 27-10-2006 08:03 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:
> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad
> and it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too
> many. I'm not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

Cucumber sushi; make a "salad" (yeah, you said no, but, if you let it sit to
room temp, it's good) with rice wine vinegar, a dash of sugar and slivers of
onion; tuna or chicken salad sandwhich with cucumber; tzatziki sauce for
greek sandwiches, cucumber soup, cucumber salsa..... just a few things that
come to mind.

kili

Tara 27-10-2006 08:03 PM

Too many cucumbers!

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:32:19 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>They are really good sliced up and stuffed into a pita with mayo,
>sprouts and thinly sliced roma tomato.

Yes, this is delicious. I like the sandwich even better with hummus in
place of the mayo.

You can halve and hollow out the cucumbers and stuff them with chicken
or tuna salad.

Tara

Jke 27-10-2006 08:04 PM

Too many cucumbers!

"aem" > schreef in bericht
ps.com...

> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
>> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>>
>> What can I do with them? [snip]

> Somewhat surprisingly, they stirfry really well. Some have tough skins
> that should be peeled first, but the ones they call English are okay
> without peeling. So, something like this:
>
> Marinate thinly sliced pork (from butt or tenderloin) in sherry, soy,
> salt and a little cornstarch.
>
> Halve cucumber(s) lengthwise, then slice 1/4" thick. Scrape out seeds
> if large.
>
> Slice plenty of garlic and roughly chop some fermented black beans.
>
> Slice a medium red bell pepper.
>
> Now do your stirfry thing in a hot pan./wok. First the pork, then
> after a minute, the beans and garlic. Remove before fully cooked. Add
> the cuke and pepper, stirfry just until limp, about 3 minutes. Add
> back the pork mixture and a splash of chicken broth (or water).
> Optional: a pinch of sugar and a few drops of sesame oil at the end.
>

> This works with chicken, too, though I think the pork stands up to
> black beans and garlic better than chicken does. -aem

Somehow this makes me think slices could be semicooked in broth, any kind of
Asian broth, maybe with noodles in it too, to make it a proper meal.

kilikini 27-10-2006 08:06 PM

Too many cucumbers!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article om>,
> "aem" > wrote:
>
>> Ken Knecht wrote:
>>> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried
>>> to politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>>>
>>> What can I do with them? [snip]

>> Somewhat surprisingly, they stirfry really well. Some have tough
>> skins that should be peeled first, but the ones they call English
>> are okay without peeling. So, something like this:
>>
>> Marinate thinly sliced pork (from butt or tenderloin) in sherry, soy,
>> salt and a little cornstarch.
>>
>> Halve cucumber(s) lengthwise, then slice 1/4" thick. Scrape out
>> seeds if large.
>>
>> Slice plenty of garlic and roughly chop some fermented black beans.
>>
>> Slice a medium red bell pepper.
>>
>> Now do your stirfry thing in a hot pan./wok. First the pork, then
>> after a minute, the beans and garlic. Remove before fully cooked.
>> Add the cuke and pepper, stirfry just until limp, about 3 minutes.
>> Add back the pork mixture and a splash of chicken broth (or water).
>> Optional: a pinch of sugar and a few drops of sesame oil at the end.
>>

>> This works with chicken, too, though I think the pork stands up to
>> black beans and garlic better than chicken does. -aem

> I'll second that.
> I've used excess ones in stir fry before as well, and they turn out
> remarkably well.

I would have never thought of that! That is definitely something I am going
to have to try. Thanks you guys!

kili

Margaret Suran[_1_] 27-10-2006 08:07 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:
> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

Isn't Gazpacho made with cucumbers? There is some cold soup that is,
but I am not certain which one it is.

Jke 27-10-2006 08:08 PM

Too many cucumbers!

"kilikini" > schreef in bericht
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
>> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>>
>> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad
>> and it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too
>> many. I'm not into making pickles.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> TIA

> Cucumber sushi; make a "salad" (yeah, you said no, but, if you let it sit
> room temp, it's good) with rice wine vinegar, a dash of sugar and slivers
> of
> onion; tuna or chicken salad sandwhich with cucumber; tzatziki sauce for
> greek sandwiches, cucumber soup, cucumber salsa..... just a few things
> that
> come to mind.

Great ideas. Gazpacho woudl be good. And I'd be tempted to try it in a light
potato salad with dill or parsley, yogurt, may, and spring onions.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 08:16 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:32:19 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >They are really good sliced up and stuffed into a pita with mayo,
> >sprouts and thinly sliced roma tomato.

> Yes, this is delicious. I like the sandwich even better with hummus in
> place of the mayo.
>
> You can halve and hollow out the cucumbers and stuff them with chicken
> or tuna salad.
>
> Tara

I've not tried stuffed cucumbers yet. That sounds good!
I do serve celery that way.

I'm not a fan of hummus...... but I know that many people like it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 08:17 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> > This works with chicken, too, though I think the pork stands up to
> > black beans and garlic better than chicken does. -aem
> >

> Somehow this makes me think slices could be semicooked in broth, any kind of
> Asian broth, maybe with noodles in it too, to make it a proper meal.

Probably be an excellent fresh addition to Pho'.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 08:18 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article om>,
> > "aem" > wrote:
> >
> >> Now do your stirfry thing in a hot pan./wok. First the pork, then
> >> after a minute, the beans and garlic. Remove before fully cooked.
> >> Add the cuke and pepper, stirfry just until limp, about 3 minutes.
> >> Add back the pork mixture and a splash of chicken broth (or water).
> >> Optional: a pinch of sugar and a few drops of sesame oil at the end.
> >>

> >> This works with chicken, too, though I think the pork stands up to
> >> black beans and garlic better than chicken does. -aem

> > I'll second that.
> > I've used excess ones in stir fry before as well, and they turn out
> > remarkably well.

> I would have never thought of that! That is definitely something I am going
> to have to try. Thanks you guys!
>
> kili

I was glad to see aem suggest it.
A surprising number of things go well in stir fry, including Romaine
lettuce.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

kilikini 27-10-2006 08:45 PM

Too many cucumbers!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> I'll second that.
>>> I've used excess ones in stir fry before as well, and they turn out
>>> remarkably well.

>> I would have never thought of that! That is definitely something I
>> am going to have to try. Thanks you guys!
>>
>> kili

> I was glad to see aem suggest it.
> A surprising number of things go well in stir fry, including Romaine
> lettuce.

I wonder if I could eat romaine if it was cooked? I'm finding out, the more
research I do, cooking seems to leech out some of the iron contents in
foods.

kili

Julia Altshuler 27-10-2006 08:49 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gazpacho is made with tomatoes. Maybe you are thinking
> of......... cucumber soup :-)

My recipe for gazpacho includes tomatoes or tomato juice, cucumbers, red
and green bell peppers, parsley (&/or other green herbs like cilantro),
scallions or mild onions, a squeeze or lemon or lime, spices in the
cumin direction, perhaps a shake of hot sauce, and a dollop of plain yogurt.

--Lia

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 08:50 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> > I was glad to see aem suggest it.
> > A surprising number of things go well in stir fry, including Romaine
> > lettuce.

> I wonder if I could eat romaine if it was cooked? I'm finding out, the more
> research I do, cooking seems to leech out some of the iron contents in
> foods.
>
> kili

Steaming might work. :-)

I actually have learned to like cooked romaine.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

kilikini 27-10-2006 08:54 PM

Too many cucumbers!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>>> I was glad to see aem suggest it.
>>> A surprising number of things go well in stir fry, including Romaine
>>> lettuce.

>> I wonder if I could eat romaine if it was cooked? I'm finding out,
>> the more research I do, cooking seems to leech out some of the iron
>> contents in foods.
>>
>> kili

> Steaming might work. :-)
>
> I actually have learned to like cooked romaine.

I'll look it up and see how much iron is left after steaming. I *do* love
my green leafy veggies.

kili

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-10-2006 08:58 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> >> I wonder if I could eat romaine if it was cooked? I'm finding out,
> >> the more research I do, cooking seems to leech out some of the iron
> >> contents in foods.
> >>
> >> kili

> > Steaming might work. :-)
> >
> > I actually have learned to like cooked romaine.

> I'll look it up and see how much iron is left after steaming. I *do* love
> my green leafy veggies.
>
> kili

I do too so I can so totally understand!
Steamed might not be as tasty as raw, but it's better than nothing.
I think that lettuce is lower in iron than spinach and chard?

I'd have to look it up...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Goomba38 27-10-2006 09:01 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gazpacho is made with tomatoes. Maybe you are thinking
> of......... cucumber soup :-)

My recipe calls for 2 large cucumbers also!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gaszpacho

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups & Stews

8 ripe tomatoes -- peeled and mashed
2 peeled cucumbers -- seeded and chopped
1 large green pepper -- seeded and chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic -- mashed
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 cups cold tomatoe juice
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Combine vegetablees and divide in half. Then combine remaining
ingredients. Put in a blender with half the vegetables and process till
smooth. Combine the puree with remaining vegetables and chill at least
2 hours. Do not allow oil to harden. Serve in chilled cups. Garnish
with croutons and scallions.

[email protected] 27-10-2006 09:27 PM

Too many cucumbers!

: My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
: politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

: What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
: it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
: not into making pickles.

: Any suggestions?

: TIA

See the "Sex in the kitchen" thread in this same newsgroup...

Melba's Jammin' 27-10-2006 10:39 PM

Too many cucumbers!

In article t>,
Margaret Suran > wrote:
> Isn't Gazpacho made with cucumbers? There is some cold soup that is,
> but I am not certain which one it is.

It is, but it is primarily tomatoes with cucumber, onion, peppers -- but
mostly tomato.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

Victor Sack[_1_] 27-10-2006 10:48 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht > wrote:

> Any suggestions?

Make tsatsiki and tarator (the Bulgarian, not the Arabic version).

Victor

Rusty[_2_] 27-10-2006 10:49 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:

> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

This is from my daughter. It is equally good hot or chilled.

Rusty from MD

Susan's Cucumber Soup

1/4 cup butter
4 cups cucumber slices
1 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper
1/2 cup half and half

Cook cucumbers and onions in butter until soft. Mix in flour. Slowly
add chicken broth. Simmer about 10 minutes. Cool then blend until
smooth. Strain if desired. Add half and half.

Dave Smith[_1_] 27-10-2006 11:37 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:

> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?

You can use a lot of cucumber in a proper Greek Salad. Peel (or
not) and chop some cucumber, tomato, onion, toss in some Kalamata
olives and Feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper and some
marjoram or oregano, then squeeze some lemon juice over it,
drizzle with olive oil .

There are also variations of cucumber or yoghurt salads. Peel
and grate a lot of cucumber and drain it in s fine sieve. Salt
helps to extract the water too. Combine with a clove or two of
finely minced garlic and yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper.
You can add mint, cumin....... there are lots of variations, and
they all taste great.

Don't tell your neighbour because she might start using up her
cucumbers and then you will lose your free supply.

Dave Smith[_1_] 27-10-2006 11:39 PM

Too many cucumbers!

Jude 28-10-2006 02:46 AM

Too many cucumbers!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> They are really good sliced up and stuffed into a pita with mayo,
> sprouts and thinly sliced roma tomato.
> --

I like them in a whole-wheat pita with cream cheese and a little salt.
That's how my best friend's mom made them, growing up. She would
"stripe" the cucumbers to make it fun for us, too. =)

Little Malice 28-10-2006 03:43 AM

Too many cucumbers!

One time on Usenet, Ken Knecht > said:

> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hmmm, cucumber and onion with vinegar, water, and a bit of
sugar (and S&P)? Cucumber and tomato sandwiches (DH loves 'em).
Cucumber soup? I've never made it, but I did find a recipe that
sounds quite interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/hemingwayadventure/recipe1_02.html

I'd use mint instead of dill, but that's a personal thang...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Sheldon 28-10-2006 04:07 AM

Too many cucumbers!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article t>,
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
> > Isn't Gazpacho made with cucumbers? There is some cold soup that is,
> > but I am not certain which one it is.

> It is

Dressing of vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper... thinly sliced onion,
cucumber, and beets.

Sheldon

Green Mtn. Griller 28-10-2006 05:23 AM

Too many cucumbers!

>>snip<
>> You can halve and hollow out the cucumbers and stuff them with chicken
>> or tuna salad.
>>
>> Tara

> I've not tried stuffed cucumbers yet. That sounds good!
> I do serve celery that way.
>
> I'm not a fan of hummus...... but I know that many people like it.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
> Nicholson

Half and hollow, a light brush of olive oil, sprinkle with salt & fresh
ground pepper, grill 'til just soft, fill with green peas. (Keeps the peas
from rolling around on your plates! And looks really "fancy"!)