Old 27-10-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How much is several?

Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

Old 27-10-2006, 03:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

Oh for God's sake it isn't rocket science. What some people will worry
about. LOL

Old 27-10-2006, 05:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" wrote in message
Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

I think several is more than two and less than five.

According to my highly accurate scientific formula.

8*/

Old 27-10-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

Ear drops? Is this for corn? Am I in the right news group?

b.

Old 27-10-2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I used to think something like that, until a journalist "proved" to
me that the rules say that "several" is the same as "few" -- meaning
2 or 3.

and you believed the journalist because...?

Here's how I used to rationalize it before I was "corrected":

1 = one
2 = 2 or "a couple of"
3 or 4 = a few
5 = 5
6 = 6 or 'half-dozen'
7 - 9 several
10 ten

12 = a dozen

I assumed that, since we are familiar with 5 as being half of a
decade -- and our number system is based on decades, or 10s -- that 5
was a number of itself.

and that, since we're all familiar with 12 as a dozen, then 6 would
be a half-dozen.

so, the odd numbers would be 3 or 4, or 7 - 9.

Don't know why I ever spent the time to delineate this, except that I
KNEW that, some day, an opportunity like this would present itself!

Alan

OK, my brain just did a backflip, but I agree with your theory, rather
than the journalists.

Old 27-10-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Ohh, yeah...

1 = one
2 = 2 or "a couple of"
3 or 4 = a few
5 = 5

5 = "a handful"

6 = 6 or 'half-dozen'
7 - 9 several
10 ten

12 = a dozen

Old 28-10-2006, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:26:25 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

I think several is more than two and less than five.

According to my highly accurate scientific formula.

A few and several are synonyms. Alternate meaning: To taste.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 28-10-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
wrote:

Ohh, yeah...

1 = one
2 = 2 or "a couple of"
3 or 4 = a few
5 = 5

5 = "a handful"

Actually the universally accepted handful is a "B" cup.

Sheldon

Old 28-10-2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

Why don't you ask your doctor or pharmacist?!!!

Old 29-10-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Terry wrote:
Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

More than three. A few is three.

-L.

Old 29-10-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. said...

Terry wrote:
Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

More than three. A few is three.

-L.

What a bunch of dunces!!!

Two's a couple!!! three's a croud!!! A handful is five, so OBVIOUSLY
several is FOUR!

Ya BUMS!!!

Andy