Posted to rec.food.veg,rec.food.cooking,alt.food
Yap Yap is offline

Default Rennet/Rennin for making cheese

Hi all,

A book I have says that rennet is key to making most
cheeses, yet it includes tissue from the stomach of a calf
so I probably want to avoid it.

Essentially there's an enzyme in rennet that coagulates the milk
and that enzyme is called rennin.

I am guessing that rennin is manufactured in labs and
distributed as a lab-based vegetarian product... but if so,
where do I buy such rennin?

If not, is there a way to make cheese without using
animal rennet, i.e. is there a vegetarian alternative
and where do I get that?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yap wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A book I have says that rennet is key to making most
> cheeses, yet it includes tissue from the stomach of a calf
> so I probably want to avoid it.
>
> Essentially there's an enzyme in rennet that coagulates the milk
> and that enzyme is called rennin.
>
> I am guessing that rennin is manufactured in labs and
> distributed as a lab-based vegetarian product... but if so,
> where do I buy such rennin?
>
> If not, is there a way to make cheese without using
> animal rennet, i.e. is there a vegetarian alternative
> and where do I get that?

Google vegetarian rennet and you'll get tons of hits. Here's
one from a provider I've used.

Microbial vegetarian rennet (Marzyme D.S.)
http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/coagulants.htm

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.veg,rec.food.cooking,alt.food

"Yap" > wrote

> I am guessing that rennin is manufactured in labs and
> distributed as a lab-based vegetarian product... but if so,
> where do I buy such rennin?
>
> If not, is there a way to make cheese without using
> animal rennet, i.e. is there a vegetarian alternative
> and where do I get that?

Check out this site:

http://www.cheesemaking.com

They have various supplies, information, and they do
have vegetable rennet.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.veg,rec.food.cooking,alt.food

I know that it is possible to get vegetarian cheese, and I believe even
vegan cheese, but if you wanted to make this at home, I really don't
know how you would go about that.

Just a thought on rennin. If that enzyme coagulates the milk to make
cheese, does this process also naturally go on in a cows stomach when
they suckle from their Mothers?

Yap wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A book I have says that rennet is key to making most
> cheeses, yet it includes tissue from the stomach of a calf
> so I probably want to avoid it.
>
> Essentially there's an enzyme in rennet that coagulates the milk
> and that enzyme is called rennin.
>
> I am guessing that rennin is manufactured in labs and
> distributed as a lab-based vegetarian product... but if so,
> where do I buy such rennin?
>
> If not, is there a way to make cheese without using
> animal rennet, i.e. is there a vegetarian alternative
> and where do I get that?
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.veg,rec.food.cooking,alt.food
Yep Yep is offline

Rennet (which contains rennin) comes from the stomach of calves
usually.