Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Only in the USA - Vegemite

Not according to snopes
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Craig Welch wrote:
> From news.com.au:
>
> There's no accounting for taste
> October 21, 2006 12:00am Article from: The Sunday Times
>
> THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians
> for jars of the spread when they enter the country.
>
> The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed
> illegal under US food laws.
>
> The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by
> travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality,
> America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.
>
> Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been
> gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite
> on toast for breakfast.
>
> Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug
> Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the
> recipe does have the addition of folic acid."
>
> The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.
>
> --
> Craig

Posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
> Not according to snopes
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Well, that's a relief, I must say! I was worried that we might have to
commence hostilities, boycott American products and that sort of thing...

Christine

> Craig Welch wrote:
>
>> From news.com.au:
>>
>> There's no accounting for taste
>> October 21, 2006 12:00am Article from: The Sunday Times
>>
>> THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians
>> for jars of the spread when they enter the country.
>>
>> The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed
>> illegal under US food laws.
>>
>> The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by
>> travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality,
>> America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.
>>
>> Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been
>> gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite
>> on toast for breakfast.
>>
>> Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug
>> Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the
>> recipe does have the addition of folic acid."
>>
>> The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.
>>
>> --
>> Craig

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"denise~*" > wrote

> Not according to snopes
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Thanks, denise, very interesting. I knew something was
fishy about the story.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "denise~*" > said:

> Not according to snopes
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Not according to The Vegemite Site either:

http://www.thevegemitesite.com/

"US HAVE NOT BAN VEGEMITE
There have several reports of vegemite being banned in
the US. According to the Sydney Morning Herald who have
contact the US FDA this is not correct and Vegemite will
not be targeted on the border. For more information check
the FAQ section of this site."

Original post follows...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA