FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pork shanks vs. pork hocks (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/104969-pork-shanks-vs-pork.html)

OmManiPadmeOmelet 26-10-2006 02:07 AM

Pork shanks vs. pork hocks

Appears to be the same cut of meat:

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...tcutspork.html

???
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

King's Crown 26-10-2006 03:42 AM

Pork shanks vs. pork hocks

You answered your own question

"Pork Hocks
Pork hocks are cut from picnic shoulder and are similar to pork shank cross
cuts."

Similar, but not the same.

Lynne

readandpostrosie 26-10-2006 03:15 PM

Pork shanks vs. pork hocks

i always called them HAM HOCKS and used them in my black eyed pea recipe.
why did i think they were from ankle area?

OmManiPadmeOmelet 26-10-2006 05:40 PM

Pork shanks vs. pork hocks

In article >,
"readandpostrosie" > wrote:

> i always called them HAM HOCKS and used them in my black eyed pea recipe.
> why did i think they were from ankle area?

Afaik, ham hocks would be cured, pork hocks are fresh?

I don't use cured hocks. It's fresh, uncured pork.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Muddle 26-10-2006 06:02 PM

Pork shanks vs. pork hocks

"readandpostrosie" > wrote in message
> i always called them HAM HOCKS and used them in my black eyed pea recipe.
> why did i think they were from ankle area?

Ham hocks are the ankles, all four of them. A ham shank is the narrow end
of a whole Ham, above the ankle, rear end only. A shank has a lot of meat
on it and one bone, a hock has two or three little nuggets of meat and many
bones.

Dimitri 26-10-2006 07:36 PM

Pork shanks vs. pork hocks

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Appears to be the same cut of meat:
>
> http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...tcutspork.html

Nope:

shank
2 entries found for shank.
To select an entry, click on it.
shank[1,noun]shank[2,transitive verb]

Main Entry: 1shank
Pronunciation: 'sha[ng]k
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English shanke, from Old English scanca; akin to Old Norse
skakkr crooked, Greek skazein to limp
1 a : the part of the leg between the knee and the ankle in humans or the
corresponding part in various other vertebrates b : LEG c : a cut of beef, veal,
mutton, or lamb from the upper or the lower part of the leg : SHIN

Main Entry: 1hock
Pronunciation: 'häk
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English hoch, hough, from Old English hOh heel; akin to Old
Norse hAsin hock
1 a : the tarsal joint or region in the hind limb of a digitigrade quadruped (as
the horse) corresponding to the human ankle but elevated and bending backward --
see HORSE illustration b : a joint of a fowl's leg that corresponds to the hock
of a quadruped
2 : a small cut of meat from a front or hind leg just above the foot <ham hocks>

Dimitri