Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Toasted cheese deluxe

Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:51:48 GMT, Peter A >
wrote:

>Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
>Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
>pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
>paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
>spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
>together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
>in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

Speaking of evil geniuses (genii?), that sounds truly decadent!
Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A said...

> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
> Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
> pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
> paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
> spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
> together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
> in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

That sounds delicious. Trader Joe's makes a great olive tapenade.

I melt butter in the skillet then drop the sandwich in it to coat. Less
fuss. And again before flipping.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
> Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
> pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
> paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
> spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
> together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
> in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

Olives and bacon has to be the epitome of tia disease.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Peter A wrote:
>> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
>> Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
>> pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
>> paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
>> spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
>> together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
>> in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

> Olives and bacon has to be the epitome of tia disease.

Tia disease?

Elisa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message

> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
> Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
> pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
> paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
> spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
> together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
> in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Sounds wonderful! When I use tomatoes for this sandwiches, I seed them
first. Seeding removes a lot of moisture.
Janet Bostwick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Elisa wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Peter A wrote:
>>> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
>>> Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
>>> pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
>>> paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
>>> spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
>>> together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
>>> in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

>> Olives and bacon has to be the epitome of tia disease.

> Tia disease?
>
> Elisa

Taste in Ass disease.
Sheldon often gets opinion and fact confused. If you like a combination he
doesn't then it's nt a difference of opinion, it's a fact that you are wrong.
or something like that.
Man's got issues.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
> Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
> pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
> paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
> spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
> together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
> in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

Yum! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Man's got issues.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.

That's one of the biggest understatements I've ever heard. It's beyond
issues.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:50:03 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Elisa wrote:
>>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

<snip>
>>> Olives and bacon has to be the epitome of tia disease.

>> Tia disease?
>>
>> Elisa

>Taste in Ass disease.
>Sheldon often gets opinion and fact confused. If you like a combination he
>doesn't then it's nt a difference of opinion, it's a fact that you are wrong.
>or something like that.
>Man's got issues.

And here I thought it was trans ischemic attack. Then again, maybe it
was!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Elisa wrote:
>>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Olives and bacon has to be the epitome of tia disease.

>> Tia disease?
>>
>> Elisa
>>>

> Taste in Ass disease.
> Sheldon often gets opinion and fact confused. If you like a combination he
> doesn't then it's nt a difference of opinion, it's a fact that you are
> wrong.
> or something like that.
> Man's got issues.
>
> --

Oh thanks for the explanation Heather!

Elisa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.

How about just butter, cheese and maybe a slice of smoked turkey or ham?
Toasted cheese should not be complicated.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.
> Sprinkle on a crumbled slice of cooked bacon. Then, a slice or two of
> pepper jack cheese followed by tomato slices that have been blotted on
> paper towels so they are not too juicy. Another layer of cheese, then
> spread Dijon mustard on the other slice of bread and assemble and press
> together. Lightly butter the outside surfaces of the sandwich and toast
> in a covered nonstick pan over medium low heat. Use care when turning!

Eliminate the turning issue by buttering and laying the two
slices of bread (butter-side down) on a griddle and build
the sandwich on them. Tapenade, crumbled bacon and cheese on
one slice. Dijon, cheese and tomato on the other. Close when
bread is properly browned and cheeses melt.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:50:31 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Peter A wrote:
>> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.

>How about just butter, cheese and maybe a slice of smoked turkey or ham?
>Toasted cheese should not be complicated.

I never developed a taste for this, but my grandfather used to make an
open face toasted (& broiled) cheese sandwich, put it on a plate and
pour stewed tomatoes on top. He loved it.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:50:31 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Peter A wrote:
>>> Spread a thin layer of olive tapenade on a piece of whole grain bread.

>> How about just butter, cheese and maybe a slice of smoked turkey or ham?
>> Toasted cheese should not be complicated.
>>

> I never developed a taste for this, but my grandfather used to make an
> open face toasted (& broiled) cheese sandwich, put it on a plate and
> pour stewed tomatoes on top. He loved it.

My late MIL used to make it with cheese, ham, and a slice of pineapple
on top, alternatively with cheese and a slice of tomato.

Am I the only one who likes mustard inside the grilled cheese?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:16:01 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Am I the only one who likes mustard inside the grilled cheese?
>
>gloria p

No, that is how I always fix mine. Mustard just seems to be a natural
with grilled cheese, at least in my book.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-25, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> No, that is how I always fix mine. Mustard just seems to be a natural
> with grilled cheese, at least in my book.

I can't imagine a grilled cheese sandwich without mustard. As classic
as ketchup on a hotdog.

nb ...diving for cover
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:30:46 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>I can't imagine a grilled cheese sandwich without mustard. As classic
>as ketchup on a hotdog.
>
>nb ...diving for cover

Or a few thin wedges/slices of tomato on the hotdog, a la Caspers.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-25, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Or a few thin wedges/slices of tomato on the hotdog, a la Caspers.

Oh, I know. I was just being ornery. But, I do like ketchup on my
hotdog, much to the dismay to purists. OTOH, I prefer your way. My
fave is a classic Chi-dog ...mustard, relish, and tomato. The best
thing to come out of Chicago besides blues.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:43:08 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-10-25, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> Or a few thin wedges/slices of tomato on the hotdog, a la Caspers.

>Oh, I know. I was just being ornery. But, I do like ketchup on my
>hotdog, much to the dismay to purists. OTOH, I prefer your way. My
>fave is a classic Chi-dog ...mustard, relish, and tomato. The best
>thing to come out of Chicago besides blues.
>
>nb

Now I am craving hot dogs. All this talk of hot dogs on the various
threads such as hot dog sauce, Coney Islands, etc....has gotten me
wanting one really bad. I have to wait though, til I can get a ride
to the grocery store... and especially the grocery store that has
Usingers hot dogs. And that probably won't be til next week.

I hate having to wait til someone can take me to get stuff!!!!!

However, I do have makings for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:24:44 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:16:01 GMT, Puester >
>wrote:
>

>>Am I the only one who likes mustard inside the grilled cheese?
>>
>>gloria p

>No, that is how I always fix mine. Mustard just seems to be a natural
>with grilled cheese, at least in my book.

I think it may be like Marmelite... how thick is this layer of
mustard?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:30:46 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-10-25, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> No, that is how I always fix mine. Mustard just seems to be a natural
>> with grilled cheese, at least in my book.

>I can't imagine a grilled cheese sandwich without mustard. As classic
>as ketchup on a hotdog.

Eeeeeew.... I never heard of it before this thread.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-26, sf <sf> wrote:

> I think it may be like Marmelite... how thick is this layer of
> mustard?

Typically, it's pretty thin. Just a subtle hint. But, after you've
tried it a couple times, in grows on you. Eventually, you'll notice
its absence. That was the case with me. I can no longer tolerate
non-mustard grilled cheese sandwiches and even bagan trying different
mustards. I finally settled on good ol' Gulden's as my fave in this
application. But, even French's is better than nothing.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:31:43 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>I can no longer tolerate
>non-mustard grilled cheese sandwiches and even bagan trying different
>mustards. I finally settled on good ol' Gulden's as my fave in this
>application. But, even French's is better than nothing.

I guess "interesting" is an appropriate word to use in a speechless
situation....

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Craig Welch wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2006-10-26, sf <sf> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it may be like Marmelite... how thick is this layer of
>>> mustard?

>> Typically, it's pretty thin. Just a subtle hint. But, after you've
>> tried it a couple times, in grows on you. Eventually, you'll notice
>> its absence. That was the case with me. I can no longer tolerate
>> non-mustard grilled cheese sandwiches and even bagan trying different
>> mustards. I finally settled on good ol' Gulden's as my fave in this
>> application. But, even French's is better than nothing.

> I agree with mustard being a requirement. But when making mustard,
> Keen's is the only one to use.

Nah. I've been consumed grilled cheese made with Gulden's
mustard since I was a kid. (My kid may break that thread though.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Craig Welch wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Craig Welch wrote:

>>> I agree with mustard being a requirement. But when making mustard,
>>> Keen's is the only one to use.
>>>

>> Nah. I've been consumed grilled cheese made with Gulden's mustard
>> since I was a kid. (My kid may break that thread though.)

> A *prepared* mustard? You don't make your own from powder?

I'm taking it back to the subject line with a piece I wrote
a few years ago.
The, um, dozen right ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich

Today its grilled cheese sandwiches. Or melted cheese
sandwiches. Or toasted cheese sandwiches. Just about
everybody has a favorite and its THE right way to do it.
And theres a definition difficulty, too. Were talking
about €śgrilling€ť but on a griddle or in a skillet (or some
other flat surface) heated on top of a stove. Not the sort
of grill that gives you a €śgrilled€ť chicken breast with the
nice brown lines. Thats more properly called a charbroiler
or chargrill. Hmmm. Wonder if it could be done?
Used to be that a grilled cheese sandwich in restaurants
where I grew up was a very straightforward thing: two slices
of white bread with a couple slices of American cheese,
buttered on the outside and cooked on a big, shiny griddle
until golden and the cheese was melted. Simple, no? Well, no.
There are two basically different schools of sandwiches
with melted cheese: the grilled cheese and the "melted" or
"toasted" cheese. And several different basic techniques
involved.
Let's make my sort of basic grilled cheese and then look
at the variations. First we brush melted butter on one side
of the slices of bread for the sandwich. Put the bread
slices butter side down, side by side, on the grill and lay
a slice or two of cheese on each slice and cook until the
bread is golden and crisp and the cheese is melted. Close
the sandwich and eat. This is technique one.
The major variation in restaurant technique is to do the
sandwich in a machine that used to be called a "sandwich
press" that looks like a waffle iron with smooth plates
instead of the bumpy ones used for waffles. Put the
buttered bread down on the bottom plate, pile on cheese, put
top slice of bread butter side up and close it. Both sides
cook at the same time. This is technique two. There are home
units like this available and theyre generally pretty good.
Nowadays, some restaurants have what theyre calling a
€śpanini press€ť which is essentially the same thing. Panini
are sandwiches in Italy. Since its a foreign language
reference, the results cost you more. Like macaroni salad
(89 cents) and pasta salad (3 dollars and 89 cents). See how
it works?
Melted or toasted sandwiches are usually done open-face and
the cheese is melted under a broiler. Bread with cheese on
top in the broiler or toaster oven (technique three).
Sometimes the bread is toasted and buttered (technique four)
or even grilled on both sides without cheese to make it
crisp and pretty (technique five). Then the bread is laid
out on a cookie sheet, cheese put on top and popped under a
broiler to melt (technique six).
Pita bread with pockets introduces another method. Cut a
pita in half, open it, fill with cheese and put into a
toaster open-side up (technique seven).
In Belgium they make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches they
call "Croque Monsieur." They're done in a press that will
have an embossed design of some kind that leaves a pretty
impression in the bread. Scallop shells or palm leaves or
something abstract but still pretty.
I like grilled cheese sandwiches made on the grill
(technique one) with crumbled bacon, sliced tomato and lots
of ground black pepper. Here are some variations I've tried
at one time or another.
Spread a thin coat of Dijon mustard on the inside of the
bread and put on your cheese.
Spread a light coat of mayo on the outside of the bread
slices instead of butter. I did this last Saturday with
sharp cheddar, sliced tomato, a microscopically-thin slice
of country ham and a scant smear of an Italian vinaigrette
dressing.
Use more than one kind of cheese. The general favorites
beyond American are strongly flavored: Cheddar, Colby,
Longhorn, Jack and blue cheeses. Others that work are
Gouda, Edam, Fontina, Havarti, Feta. Mixing a very sharp
and a smoothly mild cheese provides a whole different
finished flavor and texture.
Make dessert out of it by using a sweet bread, cream cheese
and sliced strawberries. Serve with a dab of whipped cream.
Imagine banana bread or pumpkin bread done this way. Or,
using technique five, slices of pound cake, Swiss cheese on
top and melt. Top with apple slices and serve with a glass
of fruity white wine.
Use two different kinds of bread. One slice of white; one
slice of pumpernickel. Or rye and pump. Or white and
challah. Seven-grain and potato. Salt-rising and oatmeal.
Use French bread slices that will be smaller than the usual
white bread slices. A few little sandwiches per person with
different cheeses on each. Some with ham, maybe. Or thin
slices of steamed broccoli (never tried it but it sounds good).
Get a loaf of unsliced bread and slice it lengthwise. Make
sandwiches with any of the techniques and cut them into
€śsoldiers€ť (narrow strips an inch or so wide). Stack them
into little crossed ricks to serve. Looking down on the
stack, it should look like that funny # on your computer
keyboard or telephone keypad.
Little known fact: the name of that figure - # - is
€śoctothorpe€ť and its an invented word combining the fact
that it has eight line ends and the name of the famous
athlete Jim Thorpe. Trust me, its a long story from back in
the 60's when such things seemed like good ideas.
Dip the two slices of bread into an egg and milk mixture
and grill both sides before putting on the cheese. French
toast with cheese. Add fruit, jelly, thinly sliced ham or
crumbled bacon. Slices of grilled chicken thigh (I prefer
the dark meat) and a dab of cranberry sauce.
Make a triple-decker like a club sandwich. Three slices of
bread with at least three different kinds of cheese. Either
grill or toast. In one of my restaurants, we used cheddar,
provolone and Swiss cheeses. Grill each slice of bread with
cheese separately and stack them. Either like the usual
grilled cheese with the cheese on the inside or with all the
layers facing up and the cheese showing on top. This one
lets you go very far afield. Add any or all of the goodies
you like with cheese. Use different breads.
Change the subject rather drastically. Biscuits with
cheese. Country ham. Strawberries, cream cheese and a
slice of brie melted on top. Croissants split and piled with
cheese in a toaster oven. Flour tortillas layered with
cheese between and baked in the oven until all the cheese is
soft and melty. Salsa and sour cream on top. Got the idea?
Introduce sharp or strong flavors like chopped olives,
well-drained sauerkraut, capers, anchovies, horseradish,
wasabi, hot peppers, pickles.
Now, about that simple sandwich. Oh, sure, bread, cheese
and a little butter. Used to be. Not any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-29, Bob (this one) > wrote:

[...]

> well-drained sauerkraut, capers, anchovies, horseradish,
> wasabi, hot peppers, pickles....

....or take a pallet of zwieback toast and a 200lb block of gub'mnt
cheese and press them through a 5 ton hydraulic ricer and then spread
them on the carcasses of a rotting roadkill moose and call in a flight of
sandies to swoop down and napalm them. Your point being?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-10-29, Bob (this one) > wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> well-drained sauerkraut, capers, anchovies, horseradish,
>> wasabi, hot peppers, pickles....

> ....or take a pallet of zwieback toast and a 200lb block of gub'mnt
> cheese and press them through a 5 ton hydraulic ricer and then spread
> them on the carcasses of a rotting roadkill moose and call in a flight of
> sandies to swoop down and napalm them. Your point being?

<sigh>

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Craig Welch wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Craig Welch wrote:

>>> I agree with mustard being a requirement. But when making mustard,
>>> Keen's is the only one to use.
>>>

>> Nah. I've been consumed grilled cheese made with Gulden's mustard
>> since I was a kid. (My kid may break that thread though.)

> A *prepared* mustard? You don't make your own from powder?

Rarely. And I didn't love the results.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:30:46 -0500, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2006-10-25, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> >
> >> No, that is how I always fix mine. Mustard just seems to be a natural
> >> with grilled cheese, at least in my book.

> >I can't imagine a grilled cheese sandwich without mustard. As classic
> >as ketchup on a hotdog.
> >

> Eeeeeew.... I never heard of it before this thread.

Why do you cringe? Don't you put mustard in a regular (non-grilled)
cheese sandwich? I certainly do. Putting it in a grilled sandwich
really wouldn't be that strange.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> My late MIL used to make it with cheese, ham, and a slice of pineapple
> on top, alternatively with cheese and a slice of tomato.
>
> Am I the only one who likes mustard inside the grilled cheese?

Nope...I always put mustard inside.....

-SD-