Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizza Question

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> *sigh* Before anyone jumps my ass I'll just say Steven bought a pizza from
> a kid selling them for Boyscout points or something or other. We had a big
> fight over it. His reasoning is, why penalize an 8 year old for something
> the adults have f*cked up? We both dislike the BSA's discriminatory
> practices and are generally quite vocal about it. He still bought the
> pizza.
>
> Anyway, the pizza was just delivered by said boyscout. It's from Two Nice
> Guys restaurant which we both like. It is refrigerated and not frozen. My
> question is; How long will the pizza keep in the fridge? It is well
> sealed and in a traditional pizza box. I have everything ready to make a
> meatloaf tonight. Everything is measured, potatoes are peeled and boiling
> for mashed.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> "I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage."
> - Erma Bombeck

I'd like to know what you are talking about regarding the B.S.'s. We
just signed my 9 year old up for Cub Scouts, and am concerned about
your remarks. The only thing(so far) I have concern about is the
religious aspect as we are athesist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "merryb" >
> ups.com:
> > I'd like to know what you are talking about regarding the B.S.'s. We
> > just signed my 9 year old up for Cub Scouts, and am concerned about
> > your remarks. The only thing(so far) I have concern about is the
> > religious aspect as we are athesist.

> This page might help. If you want more info do a Google search. The
> controversy has been going on for several years now.
>
> http://www.religioustolerance.org/bsa_0.htm#me
>
> Michael
>

> --
> Food Trivia:
> Jesse James (1847-1882), outlaw and desperado of the old American West,
> refused to rob a bank in McKinney, Texas because that is where his favorite
> chili parlor was located.

Thank you for the info- so far, religion has not ever been mentioned. I
would hate for my son to be omitted for something that I feel. We live
in the Pacific Northwest, and hopefully we are a little more
open-minded here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:
> "merryb" >
> oups.com:
>
> > Thank you for the info- so far, religion has not ever been mentioned.
> > I would hate for my son to be omitted for something that I feel. We
> > live in the Pacific Northwest, and hopefully we are a little more
> > open-minded here.

> You might want to check into it further. Here in St. Louis many of the BS
> chapters are now denied access to many public areas for their use ie: some
> parks, community centers, fire and police stations etc. Taxpayers do not
> want their tax dollars to benefit a discriminatory organization. It was a
> huge issue here a few years back. A friend of mine used to lease a
> building to the BSA for $1 a year. The BS had a retail shop and meeting
> rooms, basically for free. He did not renew their lease. I don't know if
> the chapter moved or disbanded or was absorbed by other chapters. My
> friend is an atheist and he is also ***.
>
> Michael
>

> --
> Food Trivia:
> Jesse James (1847-1882), outlaw and desperado of the old American West,
> refused to rob a bank in McKinney, Texas because that is where his favorite
> chili parlor was located.

Hmmmm- I guess that's why they hold their meetings at the local
Lutheran church. I don't mind a little religion thrown in, as I am
trying to raise a morally aware child, but without structured religion.
I was raised Catholic, and spent most of my childhood attendind church
on Sundays, and CCD during the week. There was a young priest that came
to the parish, Fr Vince-he was the young, cool, hip priest, always
involved with the youth programs. Find out a few years ago, he was
molesting my peer male friends. I lost a lot of respect for the church.
Now there seems to be so much corruption coming out that I would prefer
to stay away and not expose my child to that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> > fight over it. His reasoning is, why penalize an 8 year old for something
> > the adults have f*cked up? We both dislike the BSA's discriminatory
> > practices and are generally quite vocal about it. He still bought the
> > pizza.

> I'd like to know what you are talking about regarding the B.S.'s. We
> just signed my 9 year old up for Cub Scouts, and am concerned about
> your remarks. The only thing(so far) I have concern about is the
> religious aspect as we are athesist.

Atheists are not allowed or tolerated. The issue here, though, is gays.
Gays are not allowed in leadership roles. My daughter went to high
school with Steven Cozza, who is an Eagle Scout who founded:

http://www.scoutingforall.org/

Local groups, and regional offices, don't necessarily agree with this
discrimination, but the national office is very powerful.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Thank you for the info- so far, religion has not ever been mentioned. I
> would hate for my son to be omitted for something that I feel. We live
> in the Pacific Northwest, and hopefully we are a little more
> open-minded here.

He's a little young right now. My church is forbidden to participate in
Boy Scouts. Some people say that is because my church tolerates gays,
others say that it is because we tolerate atheists.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> You might want to check into it further. Here in St. Louis many of the BS
> chapters are now denied access to many public areas for their use ie: some
> parks, community centers, fire and police stations etc. Taxpayers do not
> want their tax dollars to benefit a discriminatory organization. It was a
> huge issue here a few years back.

You might want to check into this some more. The "huge issue" came
about because the BS went to the Supreme Court, and the SCOTUS said that
the BS were allowed to discriminate against gays because they were a
private organization. If so, then their access to public areas should
be the same as any other private organization. Many local governments
had different fee structures for the BS, either cheaper or even free.
It's not that the BS are being denied access to public areas, it's that
they are increasingly being required to pay the same as any other
private organization.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Hmmmm- I guess that's why they hold their meetings at the local
> Lutheran church. I don't mind a little religion thrown in, as I am
> trying to raise a morally aware child, but without structured religion.

The BS likes to meet in churches. The churches most opposed to ***
rights like the BS because they don't allow *** leaders.

> I was raised Catholic, and spent most of my childhood attendind church
> on Sundays, and CCD during the week. There was a young priest that came
> to the parish, Fr Vince-he was the young, cool, hip priest, always
> involved with the youth programs. Find out a few years ago, he was
> molesting my peer male friends.

The BS works hard at keeping the kids safe. Every activity has to be
supervised by at least two adults. My son was in a pack with two
leaders. It seemed kind of funny, since it met at one leader's house,
and there were only two kids in the pack, our son and their son (my wife
was the other leader).

The GS are even more stringent. Not only do there have to be at least
two adults present, but they can't be all men.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "merryb" > wrote:
>
> > Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> > > fight over it. His reasoning is, why penalize an 8 year old for something
> > > the adults have f*cked up? We both dislike the BSA's discriminatory
> > > practices and are generally quite vocal about it. He still bought the
> > > pizza.

> > I'd like to know what you are talking about regarding the B.S.'s. We
> > just signed my 9 year old up for Cub Scouts, and am concerned about
> > your remarks. The only thing(so far) I have concern about is the
> > religious aspect as we are athesist.

> Atheists are not allowed or tolerated. The issue here, though, is gays.
> Gays are not allowed in leadership roles. My daughter went to high
> school with Steven Cozza, who is an Eagle Scout who founded:
>
> http://www.scoutingforall.org/
>
> Local groups, and regional offices, don't necessarily agree with this
> discrimination, but the national office is very powerful.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
>
> Petaluma, California, USA

Before we joined, we had gone to an orientation in a small town. It was
all older kids, and the leader gave me the absolute creeps. The boys
there reminded me of the kids at school I would have called nerds or
losers in my day. The leader gave me the creeps so much that I dropped
the idea of joining until we went to another orientation at our local
elementary school. Totally different vibe there. I guess we had not
better mention our religious thoughts, huh? I am not against my son
thinking otherwise, tho. If he feels the need for religion, I will help
him find the answers he is looking for.

Pizza Question zxcvbob General Cooking 0 23-10-2006 07:09 AM
Pizza Question sf General Cooking 0 23-10-2006 06:59 AM
Pizza Question Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 0 23-10-2006 03:47 AM
Pizza Question Terry Pulliam Burd General Cooking 0 23-10-2006 01:07 AM
Pizza question, please limey General Cooking 5 07-03-2006 04:07 AM