Old 21-10-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bees in my wall

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook

Old 21-10-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

--
modom

Call a local apiary (if there are any) and see what they recommend?
They might even come and take the hive out for you?

Sky
Old 21-10-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"modom (palindrome guy)" [email protected] wrote:

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

--
modom

We had that exact problem in the wall of a cabin that we were going to
be spending (many years) of weekends in....

Smoke is the only thing that will drive them out.

Truly.

And yes, if you want the honey, you will have to tear a section of wall
out.

It was worth it iirc. ;-)
I was about 8.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 21-10-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) said...

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

--
modom

Call 911 and have them send out animal control. They'll know what to do. I
forget if honey bees are protected by law.

Good luck,

Andy
Old 21-10-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

What would you do?

Call a professional exterminator in your area.

Honey is not that expensive in a quantity for home consumption.

Old 21-10-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:25:07 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
[email protected] wrote:

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

This happened to a friend of mine in Alabama two years ago. All the
suggestions of calling beekeepers, local authorities, etc, proved
fruitless, and after a long search for a solution, she was left with
the alternative of having an exterminator come in, open the wall and
get rid of it for her. She had to have the sheetrock redone there.

She was not pleased and would have preferred they go to a nice hive in
the country. I hope your problem ends more sweetly than hers.

Boron
Old 22-10-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Andy q wrote:

modom (palindrome guy) said...

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

--
modom

Call 911 and have them send out animal control. They'll know what to do. I
forget if honey bees are protected by law.

Good luck,

Andy

cough

Insects are not protected by animal control laws...
At least not where _I_live! :-)

The local University is more likely going to be of help for proper
contacts.

A working hive can have monetary value.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 22-10-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Ward Abbott wrote:

What would you do?

Call a professional exterminator in your area.

Honey is not that expensive in a quantity for home consumption.

EWWWWWW!!!!

Why should he pay for bee removal when someone might be willing to pay
HIM!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 22-10-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

[email protected] wrote:

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

This happened to a friend of mine in Alabama two years ago. All the
suggestions of calling beekeepers, local authorities, etc, proved
fruitless, and after a long search for a solution, she was left with
the alternative of having an exterminator come in, open the wall and
get rid of it for her. She had to have the sheetrock redone there.

She was not pleased and would have preferred they go to a nice hive in
the country. I hope your problem ends more sweetly than hers.

Boron

We simply smoked them out and dad did the work himself.
We got the honey and combs and only had to pay for the wall repair
materials.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 22-10-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet said...

cough

Insects are not protected by animal control laws...
At least not where _I_live! :-)

I had yellow jackets that hived underground by the front steps. I know
the county animal control guys and they said I couldn't gas and burn them
out because they were protected. I forget how I got rid of them.

Never got stung but, you know, I don't think anybody gets used to bees
except beekeepers.

A working hive can have monetary value.

Probably a good idea to put a few bee boxes outside the wall in the yard
and go into the biz.

Ages ago, a friend and I were drinking Jack Daniels outside on Mt.
Diablo, California and a bee landed on my lip. I froze and waited for it
to fly away. Instead, it began to walk into one of my nostrils!!! I
forced a sneeze and ran as fast as I could!!!

Andy

Old 22-10-2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

Call a local apiary (if there are any) and see what they recommend?
They might even come and take the hive out for you?

Perfect. Impressive. Excellent.

Sheldon

Old 22-10-2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-21, Andy q wrote:

I had yellow jackets that hived underground by the front steps. I know
the county animal control guys and they said I couldn't gas and burn them
out because they were protected. I forget how I got rid of them.

I think the county control guys are full of it. Here's a page of CA's
protected insects.

http://essig.berkeley.edu/endins/hymenop.htm

Note the Antioch Mutillid Wasp. But, it's so rare I couldn't even
find a picture of it.

The most common burrowing yellow jacket in CA is so ridiculously
comman, they're a freakin' menace and you can kill them by the
millions with no legal repercussions or even making a dent. The
coastal ranges, like around Mt Diablo, are lousy with them and the
best you can do is outsmart 'em. I went camping once out Mines Rd
down by Mt Hamilton and there were so many we couldn't eat our meal.
There'd be 2 of them on your spoon before it reached your mouth. We
finally figured out they loved fresh fruit above all else, despite the
local term of "meat bees". So, we set out a plate of fresh fruit salad
about 40-50 feet away as a decoy. They swarmed that stuff like locust
and, except for the occasional retard, they left us alone to eat in
peace.

nb

Old 22-10-2006, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:25:07 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
[email protected] rummaged among random neurons and opined:

What would you do? It appears to be a good sized colony of honey
bees. They're living in the north wall of the TV room. There's bound
to be honey (OBFood) in there, but getting to it will mean ripping out
part of the wall.

http://www.bees-online.com/RemoveBees.htm

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Old 22-10-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
OmManiPadmeOmelet said...

cough

Insects are not protected by animal control laws...
At least not where _I_live! :-)

I had yellow jackets that hived underground by the front steps. I know
the county animal control guys and they said I couldn't gas and burn them
out because they were protected. I forget how I got rid of them.

Yellow Jackets protected?? Those are the guys that our local extension
says to wait until sundown, and spray the living daylights out of the
nest.

They are pollinators, but too close to human habitation, you are
allowed to exterminate if you can't move em any other way.

maxine in ri

Old 22-10-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

On 2006-10-21, Andy q wrote:

I had yellow jackets that hived underground by the front steps. I
know the county animal control guys and they said I couldn't gas and
burn them out because they were protected. I forget how I got rid of
them.

I think the county control guys are full of it. Here's a page of CA's
protected insects.

http://essig.berkeley.edu/endins/hymenop.htm

nb,

The yellow jackets hiving underground were at my home in Pennsylvania.

The Mt. Diablo bee story was an unrelated "colorful" incident.

Andy