Old 21-10-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet potato vs white potato

Been reading up on sweet potatoes and it appears they
are not even really a "potato".

Also it appears that sweet potatoes have a LOT more
nutrition than white potatoes.

Having said that I was curious if anyone has given up
eating white potatoes altogether?

Old 21-10-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in one
Yam, to add a pretty color. And it adds a nice flavor.

I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
Beast;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 21-10-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:54:13 -0700, Dave Smith
wrote:

I am allergic to potatoes.
maybe once a week at most.

Why? You are allergic...period. Waiting "a week at most" will not
make the allergy go away.

Old 21-10-2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I am allergic to potatoes.
maybe once a week at most.

Why? You are allergic...period. Waiting "a week at most" will not
make the allergy go away.

I read that as a humorous post with an implied winkey. Gosh, I hope I
was right.

leo

--
http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
Old 21-10-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
wrote:

I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in one
Yam, to add a pretty color. And it adds a nice flavor.

I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
Beast;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Yams make _fantastic_ fries!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Old 21-10-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I am allergic to potatoes.
maybe once a week at most.

Why? You are allergic...period. Waiting "a week at most" will not
make the allergy go away.

It'll probably make it worse with time too. ;-)

I've run into that with my wheat allergy...

The last two times I ate some, (6 crackers one time and one flour
tortilla the second time), my heart rate hit 130 bpm after about 1/2
hour and took 2 hours to come down.

It's starting to cause a drop in blood pressure.

Old 21-10-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
Been reading up on sweet potatoes and it appears they
are not even really a "potato".

Also it appears that sweet potatoes have a LOT more
nutrition than white potatoes.

Have you tried Japanese sweet potatoes? Great baked, for a snack or as an
ingredient--white flesh, low wax.

Ken

Old 21-10-2006, 09:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in
one Yam, to add a pretty color. And it adds a nice flavor.

I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
Beast;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Harvest Mashed Potatoes
(from my friend Sharon)

Note: I've tweaked the directions since I understood perfectly what she
meant in her instructions but not everyone might

4 large russet potatoes (2 pounds)
2 medium-size sweet potatoes (1 pounds)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. prepared horseradish
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. ground cinnamon

Bake peeled sweet potatoes until tender; mash. Cook russet potatoes (cut
large ones in half or quarters) in a Dutch oven in boiling salted water to
cover until tender; peel and mash or press through ricer and combine with
sweet potatoes. Add 1/2 cup butter and next 8 ingredients; mash with a hand
held, non-electric, potato masher until mixture is smooth. Spoon into a
casserole dish and bake at 275F about 15 minutes until heated through and
starting to lightly brown on top. Serve topped with additional Parmesan
cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.

Jill