Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet potato vs white potato

Been reading up on sweet potatoes and it appears they
are not even really a "potato".

Also it appears that sweet potatoes have a LOT more
nutrition than white potatoes.

Having said that I was curious if anyone has given up
eating white potatoes altogether?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in one
Yam, to add a pretty color. And it adds a nice flavor.

I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
Beast;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:54:13 -0700, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I am allergic to potatoes.
> maybe once a week at most.

Why? You are allergic...period. Waiting "a week at most" will not
make the allergy go away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:54:13 -0700, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >I am allergic to potatoes.
> > maybe once a week at most.

> Why? You are allergic...period. Waiting "a week at most" will not
> make the allergy go away.

I read that as a humorous post with an implied winkey. Gosh, I hope I
was right.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
wrote:

> I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in one
> Yam, to add a pretty color. And it adds a nice flavor.
>
> I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
> cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
> Beast;-)
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Yams make _fantastic_ fries!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:54:13 -0700, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >I am allergic to potatoes.
> > maybe once a week at most.

> Why? You are allergic...period. Waiting "a week at most" will not
> make the allergy go away.

It'll probably make it worse with time too. ;-)

I've run into that with my wheat allergy...

The last two times I ate some, (6 crackers one time and one flour
tortilla the second time), my heart rate hit 130 bpm after about 1/2
hour and took 2 hours to come down.

It's starting to cause a drop in blood pressure.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Been reading up on sweet potatoes and it appears they
> are not even really a "potato".
>
> Also it appears that sweet potatoes have a LOT more
> nutrition than white potatoes.

Have you tried Japanese sweet potatoes? Great baked, for a snack or as an
ingredient--white flesh, low wax.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in
> one Yam, to add a pretty color. And it adds a nice flavor.
>
> I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
> cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
> Beast;-)
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Harvest Mashed Potatoes
(from my friend Sharon)

Note: I've tweaked the directions since I understood perfectly what she
meant in her instructions but not everyone might

4 large russet potatoes (2 pounds)
2 medium-size sweet potatoes (1½ pounds)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. prepared horseradish
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. ground cinnamon

Bake peeled sweet potatoes until tender; mash. Cook russet potatoes (cut
large ones in half or quarters) in a Dutch oven in boiling salted water to
cover until tender; peel and mash or press through ricer and combine with
sweet potatoes. Add 1/2 cup butter and next 8 ingredients; mash with a hand
held, non-electric, potato masher until mixture is smooth. Spoon into a
casserole dish and bake at 275F about 15 minutes until heated through and
starting to lightly brown on top. Serve topped with additional Parmesan
cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> Home grown sweet potatoes .. how cool! I love potatoes all of 'em. Pork
> roast and baked sweet potatoes are a perfect match.

Quite so. They are even nice done on the (charcoal) grill as a side
dish. Thing is, we get so many of them at once that I have to find ways
to use them up. LOL. And some of them are 'huge'. Luckily they keep for
quite a while

Here's one of them:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/pics/SweetPotato.html

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> jay wrote:
>

> > Home grown sweet potatoes .. how cool! I love potatoes all of 'em. Pork
> > roast and baked sweet potatoes are a perfect match.

> Quite so. They are even nice done on the (charcoal) grill as a side
> dish. Thing is, we get so many of them at once that I have to find ways
> to use them up. LOL. And some of them are 'huge'. Luckily they keep for
> quite a while
>
> Here's one of them:
>
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/pics/SweetPotato.html
>

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Pretty!

Have any pics of the blooming vines?
I understand that they are beautiful!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Pretty!
>
> Have any pics of the blooming vines?
> I understand that they are beautiful!

Sorry, no pics of the "green stuff" in flower. Took this one last season
after we dug them out. However, will endeavor to do so this year

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

> > Pretty!
> >
> > Have any pics of the blooming vines?
> > I understand that they are beautiful!

> Sorry, no pics of the "green stuff" in flower. Took this one last season
> after we dug them out. However, will endeavor to do so this year

Being related to morning glories, I'll bet they are pretty!

Tried making fries with them yet?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
I never worked
> up the nerve to try them until I realized you could do more than make that
> horrid (southern U.S.) "sweet potato pie" which people tend to top with mini
> marshmallows. Ugh!

If you like pumpkin pie or custard, there's no reason not to like sweet
potato pie. Just leave off the marshmallows and use whipped cream. It
is just baked sweet potato, mashed and mixed with eggs and milk or cream
or evaporated milk, some sweetener and spices. When the sweet potato is
baked again, it gets sweeter. A lot of people don't realize that you
can vary the amount of sugar in Southern cooking. If you do that and
don't overcook the vegetables, it really isn't half bad. (Also skip the
coke served at breakfast.)

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> If you like pumpkin pie or custard, there's no reason not to like sweet
> potato pie. Just leave off the marshmallows and use whipped cream. It
> is just baked sweet potato, mashed and mixed with eggs and milk or cream
> or evaporated milk, some sweetener and spices. When the sweet potato is
> baked again, it gets sweeter. A lot of people don't realize that you
> can vary the amount of sugar in Southern cooking. If you do that and
> don't overcook the vegetables, it really isn't half bad. (Also skip the
> coke served at breakfast.)

I LOVE pumpkin pie, but don't care for any sweet potato pie I've eaten.
People seem to make them sweeter, and often vanilla-y, which I care for
less than a good spicy, less sweet pumpkin pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:22:04 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> If you like pumpkin pie or custard, there's no reason not to like sweet
>> potato pie.

>I LOVE pumpkin pie, but don't care for any sweet potato pie I've eaten.
>People seem to make them sweeter, and often vanilla-y, which I care for
>less than a good spicy, less sweet pumpkin pie.

My grandparents used to make me a sweet potato pie every week, when I
was a little girl. They used lemon as a flavoring, rather than
vanilla. I rarely see it made that way anywhere... I don't like the
vanilla flavored ones either.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:04:24 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>George wrote:
>>
>> I didn't care for them when I was a kid but I like them as an adult.
>> The reason being back then everyone served "candied sweet potatoes".
>> apparently they didn't consider that sweet potatoes have tons of
>> flavor and natural sugar and you don't have to do much more than
>> roast them to enjoy all of that flavor.
>>

>You're exactly right. They are naturally sweet-tasting (hence the name!)
>and the skins tend to carmelize a bit when you roast them. I never worked
>up the nerve to try them until I realized you could do more than make that
>horrid (southern U.S.) "sweet potato pie" which people tend to top with mini
>marshmallows. Ugh! But a baked sweet potato with a little butter, salt &
>pepper is a glorious thing. So are sweet potato "shoe-string" fries,
>although I don't fry very often so that's more of a once a year treat.
>
>Jill

Yeah, and I like them split and baked with Dijon mustard and lemon and
basil and a dash of soy sauce.

--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
wrote:

[snip]

> Also it appears that sweet potatoes have a LOT more
> nutrition than white potatoes.

What do you mean by "a LOT"? I went through this with another poster a
while back with iceberg lettuce. The poster claimed that it had no
nutritional value, and that therefore only other kinds of lettuce should
be used. Well, that's just not true.

So I whipped out my trusty nutritional database, and compared white and
sweet potatoes:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

I just didn't think that they were that different. The water, calories,
protein, fat, carbs and fiber were almost the same. Some of the other
nutrients were more different, but nothing really stood out.

> Having said that I was curious if anyone has given up
> eating white potatoes altogether?

Several people gave very good reasons to do this, either a reaction or
else they just didn't like them that well.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> I never worked
>> up the nerve to try them until I realized you could do more than
>> make that horrid (southern U.S.) "sweet potato pie" which people
>> tend to top with mini marshmallows. Ugh!

> If you like pumpkin pie or custard, there's no reason not to like
> sweet potato pie. Just leave off the marshmallows and use whipped
> cream.

Actually, I don't care for sweet stuff at all. I do love baked sweet
potatoes with just a little butter, salt & pepper

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 21 Oct 2006 04:48:58p, jmcquown meant to say...

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>> I never worked
>>> up the nerve to try them until I realized you could do more than
>>> make that horrid (southern U.S.) "sweet potato pie" which people tend
>>> to top with mini marshmallows. Ugh!

>> If you like pumpkin pie or custard, there's no reason not to like
>> sweet potato pie. Just leave off the marshmallows and use whipped
>> cream.

> Actually, I don't care for sweet stuff at all. I do love baked sweet
> potatoes with just a little butter, salt & pepper

My favorite way to eat them, although I do make some dandy candied sliced
sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving that are really delicious. No marshmallows!

My grandmother used to make a wonderful sweet potato pie that wasn't overly
sweet.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Will never give up eating white potatoe, however I have a friend that
grows sweet potatoes, they are the best in the world, when you bake them
in oven they come out pouring out their sweetness. they are just
wonderful. just went out to her house and picked up a peck again today,
they are soooooooo good

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>> I never worked
>>> up the nerve to try them until I realized you could do more than
>>> make that horrid (southern U.S.) "sweet potato pie" which people
>>> tend to top with mini marshmallows. Ugh!

>> If you like pumpkin pie or custard, there's no reason not to like
>> sweet potato pie. Just leave off the marshmallows and use whipped
>> cream.

> Actually, I don't care for sweet stuff at all. I do love baked sweet
> potatoes with just a little butter, salt & pepper
>
> Jill

Baked, with butter, s & p and a little maple syrup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:54:13 -0700, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >I am allergic to potatoes.
> > maybe once a week at most.

> Why? You are allergic...period. Waiting "a week at most" will not
> make the allergy go away.

True, but I can get away with it once in a while if I have them in small
doses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Green Mtn. Griller wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> I never worked
>>>
>>> If you like pumpkin pie or custard, there's no reason not to like
>>> sweet potato pie. Just leave off the marshmallows and use whipped
>>> cream.

>> Actually, I don't care for sweet stuff at all. I do love baked sweet
>> potatoes with just a little butter, salt & pepper
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Baked, with butter, s & p and a little maple syrup.

There you go with the sweet stuff! You're entitled to your maple syrup but
please, I just want butter, s&p on my sweet potato!!!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 21 Oct 2006 10:52:21p, jmcquown meant to say...

> Green Mtn. Griller wrote:

>>> Actually, I don't care for sweet stuff at all. I do love baked sweet
>>> potatoes with just a little butter, salt & pepper
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Baked, with butter, s & p and a little maple syrup.

> There you go with the sweet stuff! You're entitled to your maple syrup
> but please, I just want butter, s&p on my sweet potato!!!

I would have to agree. Several steakhouses we go to serve huge nicely
baked sweet potatoes and promote serving them with a butter/brown
sugar/cinnamon mixture. I always decline in deference to plain butter.
IMHO, they need no further enhancement.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 21 Oct 2006 10:52:21p, jmcquown meant to say...
>
>> Green Mtn. Griller wrote:

>>> Baked, with butter, s & p and a little maple syrup.

>> There you go with the sweet stuff! You're entitled to your maple syrup
>> but please, I just want butter, s&p on my sweet potato!!!
>>

> I would have to agree. Several steakhouses we go to serve huge nicely
> baked sweet potatoes and promote serving them with a butter/brown
> sugar/cinnamon mixture. I always decline in deference to plain butter.
> IMHO, they need no further enhancement.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Nope, sorry, it's with maple syrup, or not at all! <jk> ;-) This is
Vermont! If we don't consume our Minimum RDA of maple syrup, people talk!
Start saying that we're from Massachusetts or Connecticut! The maple does
add a nice flavor, though; completely different from brown sugar/cinnamon.
End of shameless promotion of the VT Maple Products Producers Association.
<whispering> I like 'em without the syrup, too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 21 Oct 2006 11:21:27p, Green Mtn. Griller meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 21 Oct 2006 10:52:21p, jmcquown meant to say...

>>> There you go with the sweet stuff! You're entitled to your maple
>>> syrup but please, I just want butter, s&p on my sweet potato!!!
>>>

>> I would have to agree. Several steakhouses we go to serve huge nicely
>> baked sweet potatoes and promote serving them with a butter/brown
>> sugar/cinnamon mixture. I always decline in deference to plain butter.
>> IMHO, they need no further enhancement.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> We are upping our standards... so up yours.
>>

> Nope, sorry, it's with maple syrup, or not at all! <jk> ;-) This is
> Vermont! If we don't consume our Minimum RDA of maple syrup, people
> talk! Start saying that we're from Massachusetts or Connecticut! The
> maple does add a nice flavor, though; completely different from brown
> sugar/cinnamon. End of shameless promotion of the VT Maple Products
> Producers Association. <whispering> I like 'em without the syrup, too!

There's no denying the delight of fine maple syrup. My personal favorite
is Grade A Dark Amber, or Grade B for cooking. I like it on pancakes,
waffles, french toast, in black walnut cake and black walnut ice cream,
shorthread, and maple/black walnut fudge. I can't stand it in baked beans,
and wouldn't even think of putting it on a sweet potato. Leave my sweet
potatoes alone! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> > Baked, with butter, s & p and a little maple syrup.

> There you go with the sweet stuff! You're entitled to your maple syrup but
> please, I just want butter, s&p on my sweet potato!!!
>
> Jill

<lol> Ditto here!!!!!

I prefer my sweet potatoes served savory...... :-)

I often use seasonings and salt on sweet potato fries.

Same goes for winter squashes.

I will, however, do sweeter winter squash recipes for my father as he
likes them that way. Maple works for that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <H5E_g.189$%T3.15@trndny03>,
"Green Mtn. Griller" > wrote:

> Nope, sorry, it's with maple syrup, or not at all! <jk> ;-) This is
> Vermont! If we don't consume our Minimum RDA of maple syrup, people talk!
> Start saying that we're from Massachusetts or Connecticut! The maple does
> add a nice flavor, though; completely different from brown sugar/cinnamon.
> End of shameless promotion of the VT Maple Products Producers Association.
> <whispering> I like 'em without the syrup, too!

I prefer my maple syrup served over pancakes (and sausage) or formed
into those delectable little maple sugar candies...... ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

>>Having said that I was curious if anyone has given up
>>eating white potatoes altogether?

>Pretty much so chez modom. South Beach allows sweet potatoes, but not
>regulars.

Interesting.

Do you happen to know whey South beach allows sweet
potatoes but not white ones?