FoodBanter.com

-   -   Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/104236-back-basics-perfect-sandwich.html)

Leroy 18-10-2006 06:59 PM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
what they would come up with.

So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

notbob 18-10-2006 07:13 PM

On 2006-10-18, Leroy > wrote:

> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Sure. All my sandwiches are perfect.

nb

Andy[_2_] 18-10-2006 07:16 PM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

Leroy said...

> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in
> the world a task of creating something basic like the perfect
> sandwich, I wonder what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Nope, 'cause I'm still eating lesser crap. ;)

Andy

Moslem or Christians Mullah or Pope
Preacher or poet who was it wrote
Give any one species too much rope
And they'll **** it up
--Roger Waters
Amused to Death

Leroy 18-10-2006 07:19 PM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

Yeah, but I am taking top level.

I am sure you think your sandwiches are perfect, as with all your food, but
Michelin star chefs may disagree.

Sheldon 18-10-2006 07:25 PM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Triple Decker... my pickle between two big busted gals... that's my
perfect sandwich. LOL

Sheldon Mustard

Nancy2 18-10-2006 07:29 PM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

There wouldn't be any such thing because the perfect sandwich for a
vegetarian would be different from a perfect sandwich for an omnivore.

For me, it is a perfect French Dip Sandwich - great roast beef, genuine
"jus" for dipping, and just the right deli bun with some sesame seeds
on top. I can think of nothing better.

Alongside, of course, thick, perfectly-cooked steak fries and for cold
and crispy, a beautiful tomato, peeled and cut into eighths. And a big
Kosher pickle spear. That's it. I'm hungry.

N.

Leroy 18-10-2006 07:50 PM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

Here you go Sheldon:
http://i11.tinypic.com/2w4eovo.jpg

oups.com...

Gregory Morrow[_7_] 18-10-2006 07:52 PM

Leroy wrote:

> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Yup...the "Leroy Tirebiter"...

--
Best
Greg

salgud 18-10-2006 08:09 PM

Sheldon wrote:
> Leroy wrote:
> > I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> > world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> > what they would come up with.
> >
> > So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> Triple Decker... my pickle between two big busted gals... that's my
> perfect sandwich. LOL
>
> Sheldon Mustard

Did you think that one up all by yourself, dogturd, or did you talk
with the fourth grade boys at your local elementary school first?

JoeSpareBedroom 18-10-2006 08:11 PM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

"salgud" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Leroy wrote:
>> > I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
>> > world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I
>> > wonder
>> > what they would come up with.
>> >
>> > So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

>> Triple Decker... my pickle between two big busted gals... that's my
>> perfect sandwich. LOL
>>
>> Sheldon Mustard

> Did you think that one up all by yourself, dogturd, or did you talk
> with the fourth grade boys at your local elementary school first?

He's not allowed near children. Major prison time (again) if he violates the
order.

tert in seattle 18-10-2006 08:11 PM

writes:

>Leroy wrote:
>
>> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?
>>

>Yup...the "Leroy Tirebiter"...

how about the "Bacohol Fatboy"

--
[ ] opposite
[ ] mindfulness

Gregory Morrow[_7_] 18-10-2006 08:26 PM

tert in seattle wrote:

> writes:
> >
> >Leroy wrote:
> >
> >> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?
> >>

> >Yup...the "Leroy Tirebiter"...

> how about the "Bacohol Fatboy"

The "Kenjibob" or the "Open - faced Tushar"...

--
Best
Greg

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_7_] 18-10-2006 08:59 PM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Leroy wrote:
>
> > I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> > world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I
> > wonder
> > what they would come up with.
> >
> > So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> Some nice fresh bread with slices perfectly ripened garden fresh tomato,
> lettuce
> and mayonnaise.

Oh gods!!! <drool>
Does not even need the lettuce...... ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

kilikini 18-10-2006 10:16 PM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in
> the world a task of creating something basic like the perfect
> sandwich, I wonder what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

It depends upon if it's a hot or cold sandwich.

For a cold sandwich, I like a BLT with avocado, a smidgen of sprouts, a
grilled pineapple ring and swiss cheese on toasted sourdough bread lightly
buttered on one side and lightly mayo'd on the other.

For a hot sandwich........ there was this little deli back on Maui, Maui
Bake Shop, that had what was almost a spinach dip on a croissant all heated
and bubbly. I don't know what they put in the dip-like part of it; maybe
provolone, chopped spinach, ricotta, chopped artichokes, but it was to die
for! They also had the standard ham and cheese croissant all warmed up and
gooey.

kili

rosie[_1_] 18-10-2006 11:10 PM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Yes, rye bread, crabmeat, bacon and avocado...... the best!!!
Crab is mixed with a bot of mayonaise to make a salad.

Rosie

Peter A 18-10-2006 11:29 PM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

In article . com>,
says...

> Leroy wrote:
> > I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> > world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> > what they would come up with.
> >
> > So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> Yes, rye bread, crabmeat, bacon and avocado...... the best!!!
> Crab is mixed with a bot of mayonaise to make a salad.

The idea of a "perfect sandwich" is just plain silly. You can have a
"perfect" BLT, a "perfect" pastrami on rye, a "perfect" toasted cheese -
and you can also have horrid versions of all of these. It also depends
on the mood of the eater. One day you might find a certain sandwich
"perfect," the next day it would turn you off.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at

Dave Smith[_1_] 19-10-2006 12:01 AM

Sheldon 19-10-2006 12:06 AM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.

The ice cream sandwich?

What kind of ghetto troll monica is Leroy... how would you like a
knuckle sandwich... we don't need any Leroy racist *******s.

Where do all these sicko bigoted freaks come from.

Sheldon Oreo

kilikini 19-10-2006 02:19 AM

rosie wrote:
> Leroy wrote:
>> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in
>> the world a task of creating something basic like the perfect
>> sandwich, I wonder what they would come up with.
>>
>> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> Yes, rye bread, crabmeat, bacon and avocado...... the best!!!
> Crab is mixed with a bot of mayonaise to make a salad.
>
> Rosie

Open faced hot crab melts are good, too, on an English muffin with a slice
of tomato on the top.

kili

JoeSpareBedroom 19-10-2006 02:27 AM

Back To Basics. The Perfect Sandwich?

. ..

With a side of {_________________} ?

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_7_] 19-10-2006 03:12 AM

"kilikini" > wrote:

> Leroy wrote:
> > I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in
> > the world a task of creating something basic like the perfect
> > sandwich, I wonder what they would come up with.
> >
> > So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> It depends upon if it's a hot or cold sandwich.
>
> For a cold sandwich, I like a BLT with avocado, a smidgen of sprouts, a
> grilled pineapple ring and swiss cheese on toasted sourdough bread lightly
> buttered on one side and lightly mayo'd on the other.
>
> For a hot sandwich........ there was this little deli back on Maui, Maui
> Bake Shop, that had what was almost a spinach dip on a croissant all heated
> and bubbly. I don't know what they put in the dip-like part of it; maybe
> provolone, chopped spinach, ricotta, chopped artichokes, but it was to die
> for! They also had the standard ham and cheese croissant all warmed up and
> gooey.
>
> kili

Sandwich connoisseur... :-)

Nice Kili!

I never thought of adding pineapple to a BLT.
Pineapple and bacon do go well together.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_7_] 19-10-2006 03:14 AM

"kilikini" > wrote:

> rosie wrote:
> > Leroy wrote:
> >> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in
> >> the world a task of creating something basic like the perfect
> >> sandwich, I wonder what they would come up with.
> >>
> >> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> > Yes, rye bread, crabmeat, bacon and avocado...... the best!!!
> > Crab is mixed with a bot of mayonaise to make a salad.
> >
> > Rosie

> Open faced hot crab melts are good, too, on an English muffin with a slice
> of tomato on the top.
>
> kili

When I eat fresh crab, I like to have it with a little hot lemon butter
on fresh sourdough bread with crispy crust. ;-d

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_7_] 19-10-2006 03:14 AM

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > rosie wrote:

> >> Yes, rye bread, crabmeat, bacon and avocado...... the best!!!
> >> Crab is mixed with a bot of mayonaise to make a salad.
> >>
> >> Rosie

> > Open faced hot crab melts are good, too, on an English muffin with a slice
> > of tomato on the top.
> >
> > kili
> >

> With a side of {_________________} ?

Hot soup!

JD[_1_] 19-10-2006 05:16 AM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Each different type has its own parameters for perfection but when I
have a serious sandwich jones going it has to be an Italian hoagie. The
bread has to be a crusty baguette with some of the "guts" pulled out of
it a drizzling of EVOO and red wine vinegar on it. Then comes layers of
good hot coppa, sopresata, ham (in this case I prefer Black Forest over
prosciutto) pepperoni, with a few layers of thinly sliced provolone
topped with thinly sliced onion, tomato, just a little lettuce and a
smattering of peperocinis or sport pepper rings. finish with a few
shakes of oregano. Now when the holiday season rolls around nothing
beats a turkey sandwich made from the leftovers of your own turkey.
Start with a seedy whole grain bread, slather liberally with mayo, pile
high with turkey and finish simply with a little salt and some fresh
ground pepper. I'm a bit of a minimalist in this regard but I can
appreciate the addition of a little stuffing and or cranberry sauce to
the sandwich. It's the only time of year I eat turkey sandwiches.
Sometimes I jones for a good pastrami sandwich and on the west coast it
ain't the easiest thing to find. Now and then a buddy and I make our own
pastrami from packer cut corned beef briskets which is the only way to
get a pastrami sandwich that's New York worthy. Beyond getting just the
right ingredients it's a slam dunk to make; dark rye (toasted please)
with a healthy application of a nice course seedy mustard piled high
with hot pastrami. Garnish with a dill spear and a little cole slaw on
the side.

JD

JD[_1_] 19-10-2006 05:20 AM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Ooh, I forgot, take a pork shoulder that's been in the pit for 12 to 14
hours so it has a nice crusty bark on it, pull it so there's a lot of
that bark in the mix and pile it on a sesame seeded BBQ bun with the
sauce of your choice (none of that nasty sweet stuff for me) and top
with a dollop of cole slaw.

JD

Vilco[_1_] 19-10-2006 09:08 AM

Leroy wrote:

> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Sure, but I still have to guess which was best. Should have been one of
these:
- norwegian smoked salmon with a hint of normandy butter on a very soft,
no-seeds bun
- "cinta senese" salame on tuscan-style unsalted bread, crispy outside and
soft inside
- gorgonzola, brie and young taleggio melted on a sesame seed soft bun
- ground horse filet with powdered onion, white pepper and olive oil in our
local tipycal white bread bun
- an atomic bomb I ate in Puglia filled with pickled eggplants, red hot
peppers, onions, anchovies, capers and God knows what else
- last but not least, the good old sandwich with cotoletta alla milanese,
lettuce and mayo
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

kilikini 19-10-2006 09:33 AM

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> Open faced hot crab melts are good, too, on an English muffin with
>>> a slice of tomato on the top.
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> With a side of {_________________} ?

> Hot soup!

Too much food for me. One half of the crab melt would do me in all on its
own. :~)

kili

salgud 19-10-2006 02:45 PM

Sheldon wrote:
> Leroy wrote:
> > I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> > world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> > what they would come up with.

> The ice cream sandwich?
>
> What kind of ghetto troll monica is Leroy... how would you like a
> knuckle sandwich... we don't need any Leroy racist *******s.
>
> Where do all these sicko bigoted freaks come from.
>
> Sheldon Oreo

They seek out their own kind, dogturd. They're looking for you!

Gregory Morrow[_7_] 19-10-2006 04:57 PM

kilikini wrote:

> rosie wrote:
> > Leroy wrote:
> >> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in
> >> the world a task of creating something basic like the perfect
> >> sandwich, I wonder what they would come up with.
> >>
> >> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> > Yes, rye bread, crabmeat, bacon and avocado...... the best!!!
> > Crab is mixed with a bot of mayonaise to make a salad.
> >
> > Rosie

> Open faced hot crab melts are good, too, on an English muffin with a slice
> of tomato on the top.

If you are entertaining, making a bunch of those little open - faced
Scandinavian sammiches is a good bet. Get those little cocktail loaves
(Rubschlager's is a good brand). Use butter to spread on the bread before
topping, the butter acts somewhat as a "sealant" to prevent the bread from
getting soggy...

There are a million variations of these, anything goes...and you don't have
to spend ten million bux on the things either.

--
Best
Greg

kilikini 19-10-2006 08:24 PM

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> rosie wrote:

>>> Yes, rye bread, crabmeat, bacon and avocado...... the best!!!
>>> Crab is mixed with a bot of mayonaise to make a salad.
>>>
>>> Rosie

>> Open faced hot crab melts are good, too, on an English muffin with a
>> slice of tomato on the top.

> If you are entertaining, making a bunch of those little open - faced
> Scandinavian sammiches is a good bet. Get those little cocktail
> loaves (Rubschlager's is a good brand). Use butter to spread on the
> bread before topping, the butter acts somewhat as a "sealant" to
> prevent the bread from getting soggy...
>
> There are a million variations of these, anything goes...and you
> don't have to spend ten million bux on the things either.

Good tip, thanks, Greg!

kili

Kate Connally 24-10-2006 06:28 PM

Leroy wrote:
> I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> what they would come up with.
>
> So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

Yes. It's called a BLT.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

salgud 24-10-2006 09:57 PM

Kate Connally wrote:
> Leroy wrote:
> > I have always been interested, if you were to give the top chefs in the
> > world a task of creating something basic like the perfect sandwich, I wonder
> > what they would come up with.
> >
> > So, has anyone eaten what they think is the perfect sandwich?

> Yes. It's called a BLT.
>
> Kate

I thought a BLT had bacon in it. Isn't that what the "B" is?