Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Your favorite cornbread recipe?

Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
special cornbread recipe?

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
> it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
> special cornbread recipe?
>
> TammyM

The simple, plain one I like is from the Moosewood Cookbook:
Moosewood Cornbread
1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c buttermilk
1 egg
3 T honey
3 T melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8" square pan or a 9" of 10" cast-iron
skillet with butter. Combine all ingredients with a mixer. Mix just enough
to thoroughly combine. Spread into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll have to try that. I always use 1c flour, 1c corn meal.

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 2 eggs
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 2 cups corn meal
> 1 teaspoon salt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:29:14 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
>>it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
>>special cornbread recipe?
>>
>>TammyM

> Here is mine.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Corn Bread
>
> Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
> Categories : Breads

> 2 eggs
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 2 cups corn meal
> 1 teaspoon salt
>
> Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
> pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>
> Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just until
> smooth.
>
> Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes for
> corn bread.
>

> Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it in a
preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.

I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 15 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...
>
> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:29:14 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
> >
> >>Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
> >>it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
> >>special cornbread recipe?
> >>
> >>TammyM

> > Here is mine.
> >

> > * Exported from MasterCook *
> >
> > Corn Bread
> >
> > Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
> > Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
> > Categories : Breads
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 2 eggs
> > 2 cups buttermilk
> > 1 teaspoon baking soda
> > 2 cups corn meal
> > 1 teaspoon salt
> >
> > Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
> > pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
> >
> > Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just
> > until smooth.
> >
> > Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes
> > for corn bread.
> >

> > Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

> Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it
> in a preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>
> I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

Mine is similar to Wayne's except I add creamed corn and minced green
chiles. I also on occassion add one or all of these as well: grated
cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, crumbled bacon; all to taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:05:26p, Mr Libido Incognito meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 15 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

>> > Here is mine.
>> >

>> > * Exported from MasterCook *
>> >
>> > Corn Bread
>> >
>> > Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
>> > Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
>> > Categories : Breads
>> >
>> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> > 2 eggs
>> > 2 cups buttermilk
>> > 1 teaspoon baking soda
>> > 2 cups corn meal
>> > 1 teaspoon salt
>> >
>> > Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
>> > pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>> >
>> > Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just
>> > until smooth.
>> >
>> > Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes
>> > for corn bread.
>> >

>> > Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

>> Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it
>> in a preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>>
>> I also use stone-ground cornmeal.
>>

> Mine is similar to Wayne's except I add creamed corn and minced green
> chiles. I also on occassion add one or all of these as well: grated
> cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, crumbled bacon; all to taste.

That's a good combination, Alan. When I make something like that, I
usually also add sour cream, and serve it by spooning it out rather than
cutting it into squares or wedges. Good stuff!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
> it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
> special cornbread recipe?

Morrison's white cornbread mix. I know, it's from a package. I've never
been able to make cornbread that didn't have the taste and texture of sand.

http://www.cornkits.com/customer/pro...6&cat=1&page=1

Morrison's blows the socks off any cornbread I've had anyplace else.

I just made a batch to go with the chili we had for dinner.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:50:10p, Dawn meant to say...

> TammyM wrote:
>
>> Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
>> it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
>> special cornbread recipe?
>>

> Morrison's white cornbread mix. I know, it's from a package. I've never
> been able to make cornbread that didn't have the taste and texture of sand.

If it doesn't have the texture of sand, then it's cake, not cornbread.

But, then, it becomes a question of "northern" vs. "southern" cornbread. Two
entirely different animals.

> http://www.cornkits.com/customer/pro...6&cat=1&page=1
>
> Morrison's blows the socks off any cornbread I've had anyplace else.

Have to admit that I've never seen it nor tried it. It might be different
than any others I've tried.

> I just made a batch to go with the chili we had for dinner.

Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference, not whether it's right or
wrong. I've never tasted "cornbread" from a mix that really tasted like
cornbread to me.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 11:07 pm, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:50:10p, Dawn meant to say...
>

> > Morrison's white cornbread mix. I know, it's from a package. I've never
> > been able to make cornbread that didn't have the taste and texture of sand.If it doesn't have the texture of sand, then it's cake, not cornbread.

> But, then, it becomes a question of "northern" vs. "southern" cornbread. Two
> entirely different animals.
>
> >http://www.cornkits.com/customer/pro...6&cat=1&page=1

> > Morrison's blows the socks off any cornbread I've had anyplace else.Have to admit that I've never seen it nor tried it. It might be different

> than any others I've tried.
>
> > I just made a batch to go with the chili we had for dinner.Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference, not whether it's right or

> wrong. I've never tasted "cornbread" from a mix that really tasted like
> cornbread to me.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I've never heard of Morrison's either, must be a regional thing. I
pretty much follow Wayne's recipe posted earlier. A skillet of good
cornbread is a thing of beauty, and no flour either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I prefer my cornbread to be slightly sweet & nicely moist (GREAT for
using leftovers in cornbread cush the next morning for breakfast!). I
have a recipe that I use, but I'll have to dig it up. In NC, I loved
to make cornbread & serve it with Brummel & Brown spread -- the
blueberry was delightful -- or honeybutter.

I also make a tasty Mexican cornbread with onions, cheese, jalapenos, &
creamed corn.

~Eri in TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Oct 2006 04:02:16 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...
>
>> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:29:14 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>>
>>>Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
>>>it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
>>>special cornbread recipe?
>>>
>>>TammyM

>> Here is mine.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Corn Bread
>>
>> Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
>> Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Breads
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 cups buttermilk
>> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>> 2 cups corn meal
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>
>> Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
>> pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>>
>> Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just until
>> smooth.
>>
>> Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes for
>> corn bread.
>>

>> Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

>Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it in a
>preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>
>I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
mix.

The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me. I
managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On 16 Oct 2006 04:02:16 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

>>> Here is mine.
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Corn Bread
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
>>> Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Breads
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 2 cups buttermilk
>>> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>>> 2 cups corn meal
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>>
>>> Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
>>> pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>>>
>>> Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just until
>>> smooth.
>>>
>>> Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes for
>>> corn bread.
>>>

>>> Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

>>Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it in a
>>preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>>
>>I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

> I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
> coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
> skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
> mix.
>
> The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me. I
> managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.
> --
> Susan N.

I mostly do that too. I use less than 1/4 cp of flour and coarse cornmeal
and polenta to make up the 2cps. I do add about a tsp. of sugar and lots of
freshly ground pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 01:51:16a, Felines&Fuzzbutts meant to say...

> I prefer my cornbread to be slightly sweet & nicely moist (GREAT for
> using leftovers in cornbread cush the next morning for breakfast!). I
> have a recipe that I use, but I'll have to dig it up. In NC, I loved
> to make cornbread & serve it with Brummel & Brown spread -- the
> blueberry was delightful -- or honeybutter.

Once in a blue moon I'll add a tablespoon of sugar to the batter, but I
usually like it just a bit salty. If there's leftovers, I either butter the
cut side and put it under the broiler, or crumble it into buttermilk.

> I also make a tasty Mexican cornbread with onions, cheese, jalapenos, &
> creamed corn.

A horse of a different color, and also delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 05:12:29a, The Cook meant to say...

> On 16 Oct 2006 04:02:16 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

>>> Here is mine.
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Corn Bread
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
>>> Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Breads
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 2 cups buttermilk
>>> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>>> 2 cups corn meal
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>>
>>> Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
>>> pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>>>
>>> Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just until
>>> smooth.
>>>
>>> Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes for
>>> corn bread.
>>>

>>> Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

>>Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it in a
>>preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>>
>>I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

> I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
> coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
> skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
> mix.

That mixture sounds interesting, Susan. I like using bacon grease if I
have it on hand, but we don't eat a lot of bacon. :-(

> The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me. I
> managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.

There's nothing quite like stone ground cornmeal.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook said...

> On 16 Oct 2006 04:02:16 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

>>> Here is mine.
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Corn Bread
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
>>> Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Breads
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 2 cups buttermilk
>>> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>>> 2 cups corn meal
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>>
>>> Heat oven to 450° F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
>>> pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.
>>>
>>> Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just
>>> until smooth.
>>>
>>> Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes
>>> for corn bread.
>>>

>>> Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960

>>Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it
>>in a preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>>
>>I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

> I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
> coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
> skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
> mix.
>
> The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me. I
> managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.

Sadly, I've rarely ventured beyond Jiffy cornbread mix. Then I end up
making popovers instead. My scratch cornbread almost always turns out
gritty and crumbles too easily. Maybe an oven temp issue.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 05:47:55a, Andy meant to say...

> The Cook said...
>
>> On 16 Oct 2006 04:02:16 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

>>>Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it
>>>in a preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.
>>>
>>>I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

>> I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
>> coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
>> skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
>> mix.
>>
>> The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me. I
>> managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.

> Sadly, I've rarely ventured beyond Jiffy cornbread mix. Then I end up
> making popovers instead. My scratch cornbread almost always turns out
> gritty and crumbles too easily. Maybe an oven temp issue.

Good southern style cornbread *is* gritty, but it should also be moist and
not too crumbly. It *must* be a very hot oven of 425-450*, and the skillet
*must* be preheated to the smoking point of the fat put in it. You may
also not be using enough fat. For the proportions of the batter above, I
use about 1/3 cup of shortening or bacon fat, melted in the skillet while
it's preheating, then most of it stirred vigorously into the batter before
pouring the batter into the pan. Quick work of it is important. Also, the
typical supermarket cornmeal (like Quaker), is much too fine. It produces
a dry powdery texture. Using coarse stone-ground meal and buttermilk will
produce a cornbread that's steaming and moist.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 05:47:55a, Andy meant to say...
>
>> The Cook said...

>>> I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
>>> coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
>>> skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
>>> mix.
>>>
>>> The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me.
>>> I managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.

>> Sadly, I've rarely ventured beyond Jiffy cornbread mix. Then I end up
>> making popovers instead. My scratch cornbread almost always turns out
>> gritty and crumbles too easily. Maybe an oven temp issue.

> Good southern style cornbread *is* gritty, but it should also be moist
> and not too crumbly. It *must* be a very hot oven of 425-450*, and
> the skillet *must* be preheated to the smoking point of the fat put in
> it. You may also not be using enough fat. For the proportions of the
> batter above, I use about 1/3 cup of shortening or bacon fat, melted
> in the skillet while it's preheating, then most of it stirred
> vigorously into the batter before pouring the batter into the pan.
> Quick work of it is important. Also, the typical supermarket cornmeal
> (like Quaker), is much too fine. It produces a dry powdery texture.
> Using coarse stone-ground meal and buttermilk will produce a cornbread
> that's steaming and moist.

Wayne,

Thanks for the pointers. I never tried a cast iron skillet, only a pyrex
baking dish.

I'll certainly have another go AND be sure to measure the oven temp with
a digital probe thermometer.

If it turns out better (which it will, I'll certainly make it more
often.

Thanks,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 16 Oct 2006 06:20:49a, Andy meant to say...

You're most welcome, sir!

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
> it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
> special cornbread recipe?

A timely thread! I am in the middle of more cornbread (well, corn
muffin, but still) research:

A King Arthur recipe and a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe are on my 'blog
with pictures.

http://www.twosheep.com/blog/?p=477

June

Posted to rec.food.cooking