Old 15-10-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Your favorite cornbread recipe?

Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
special cornbread recipe?

TammyM

Old 15-10-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:29:14 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
special cornbread recipe?

TammyM

Here is mine.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Bread

Recipe By :Betty Crocker Cook Book
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups corn meal
1 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 450 F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups or corn stick
pans or a square pan 9X9X1 3/4". Heat in oven while mixing batter.

Beat eggs. Beat in other ingredients with a rotary beater just until
smooth.

Bake 10 to 15 minutes for corn sticks or muffins; 20 to 25 minutes for
corn bread.

Copyright: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1960
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 29 Calories; 1g Fat (37.7%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
37mg Cholesterol; 337mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat
Milk; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

--
Susan N.

Old 15-10-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" wrote in message
Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
special cornbread recipe?

TammyM

The simple, plain one I like is from the Moosewood Cookbook:
Moosewood Cornbread
1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c buttermilk
1 egg
3 T honey
3 T melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8" square pan or a 9" of 10" cast-iron
skillet with butter. Combine all ingredients with a mixer. Mix just enough
to thoroughly combine. Spread into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.

Sheila

Old 16-10-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll have to try that. I always use 1c flour, 1c corn meal.

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups corn meal
1 teaspoon salt

Old 16-10-2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 03:49:45p, The Cook meant to say...

[...]

Exactly the ingredients and proportions I use, except that I bake it in a
preheated sizzling hot black iron skillet.

I also use stone-ground cornmeal.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Hey, you've got a third eye! Uh, never mind...
it's just a spot of dirt in the middle of your
forehead.

Old 16-10-2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 15 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

[...]

Mine is similar to Wayne's except I add creamed corn and minced green
chiles. I also on occassion add one or all of these as well: grated
cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, crumbled bacon; all to taste.

Old 16-10-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:05:26p, Mr Libido Incognito meant to say...

[...]

That's a good combination, Alan. When I make something like that, I
usually also add sour cream, and serve it by spooning it out rather than
cutting it into squares or wedges. Good stuff!

Old 16-10-2006, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
special cornbread recipe?

Morrison's white cornbread mix. I know, it's from a package. I've never
been able to make cornbread that didn't have the taste and texture of sand.

http://www.cornkits.com/customer/pro...6&cat=1&page=1

Morrison's blows the socks off any cornbread I've had anyplace else.

I just made a batch to go with the chili we had for dinner.

Dawn

Old 16-10-2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:50:10p, Dawn meant to say...

TammyM wrote:

Fixin' to make some for dinner. Along with the black bean soup as
it's turned out to be a cool enough day for such. So what's your
special cornbread recipe?

Morrison's white cornbread mix. I know, it's from a package. I've never
been able to make cornbread that didn't have the taste and texture of sand.

If it doesn't have the texture of sand, then it's cake, not cornbread.

But, then, it becomes a question of "northern" vs. "southern" cornbread. Two
entirely different animals.

http://www.cornkits.com/customer/pro...6&cat=1&page=1

Morrison's blows the socks off any cornbread I've had anyplace else.

Have to admit that I've never seen it nor tried it. It might be different
than any others I've tried.

I just made a batch to go with the chili we had for dinner.

Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference, not whether it's right or
wrong. I've never tasted "cornbread" from a mix that really tasted like
cornbread to me.

Old 16-10-2006, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 11:07 pm, Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com
wrote:
Oh pshaw, on Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:50:10p, Dawn meant to say...

Morrison's white cornbread mix. I know, it's from a package. I've never
been able to make cornbread that didn't have the taste and texture of sand.If it doesn't have the texture of sand, then it's cake, not cornbread.

But, then, it becomes a question of "northern" vs. "southern" cornbread. Two
entirely different animals.

http://www.cornkits.com/customer/pro...6&cat=1&page=1

Morrison's blows the socks off any cornbread I've had anyplace else.Have to admit that I've never seen it nor tried it. It might be different

than any others I've tried.

I just made a batch to go with the chili we had for dinner.Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference, not whether it's right or

wrong. I've never tasted "cornbread" from a mix that really tasted like
cornbread to me.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I've never heard of Morrison's either, must be a regional thing. I
pretty much follow Wayne's recipe posted earlier. A skillet of good
cornbread is a thing of beauty, and no flour either.

Old 16-10-2006, 09:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I prefer my cornbread to be slightly sweet & nicely moist (GREAT for
using leftovers in cornbread cush the next morning for breakfast!). I
have a recipe that I use, but I'll have to dig it up. In NC, I loved
to make cornbread & serve it with Brummel & Brown spread -- the
blueberry was delightful -- or honeybutter.

I also make a tasty Mexican cornbread with onions, cheese, jalapenos, &
creamed corn.

~Eri in TX

Old 16-10-2006, 01:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Oct 2006 04:02:16 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
[...]

I have been using a combination of a white corn meal and a yellow
coarse ground meal (polenta type.) I also use a preheated cast iron
skillet with a little bacon grease melted in it an poured into the
mix.

The white corn meal comes from an old mill about 10 miles from me. I
managed to get the meal before they made it self rising.
--
Susan N.

Old 16-10-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" wrote in message
[...]

I mostly do that too. I use less than 1/4 cp of flour and coarse cornmeal
and polenta to make up the 2cps. I do add about a tsp. of sugar and lots of
freshly ground pepper.