Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soft corn tortillas

I was reading a newspaper article, and it mentioned "soft corn
tortillas." Do you just steam them or put them in the micro with a wet
paper towel on top of them for 45 seconds. I have always fried corn
tortillas in corn oil. Also it seems as if the corn variety only comes
in the small size which does not lend itself to something like a wrap.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was reading a newspaper article, and it mentioned "soft corn
> tortillas." Do you just steam them or put them in the micro with a wet
> paper towel on top of them for 45 seconds. I have always fried corn
> tortillas in corn oil. Also it seems as if the corn variety only comes
> in the small size which does not lend itself to something like a wrap.
>
> Tom

Hey Tom,

From my limited experience:

Yes, nuking them in a damp towel is the easiest way to heat them. This is
probably the healthiest way to make tacos as the corn tortillas usually have
little or no fat, and fewer carbohydrates than flour tortillas.

An alternative to frying them is to simply heat them in a dry skillet (or
comal) until then soften. Stale tortillas don't fare well in this method,
though.

No, corn tortillas don't make good wraps.

HTH.
Pablo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pablo wrote:

> An alternative to frying them is to simply heat them in a dry skillet (or
> comal) until then soften. Stale tortillas don't fare well in this method,
> though.

I grew up eating corn tortillas that we'd heat right at the table on a
dry electric (teflon) skillet. Everyone could do their own. We'd even
butter them hot and roll up like little cigars and munch away on them.
Delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:57:19 -0400, "pablo" >
wrote:

>Yes, nuking them in a damp towel is the easiest way to heat them. This is
>probably the healthiest way to make tacos as the corn tortillas usually have
>little or no fat, and fewer carbohydrates than flour tortillas.
>
>An alternative to frying them is to simply heat them in a dry skillet (or
>comal) until then soften. Stale tortillas don't fare well in this method,
>though.

I use a dry skillet, but I've seen people post here that they heat
corn tortillas over the open flame of a gas burner.
--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> Yeah I tried those costco simulated chicken thangs..

1.)If it's Simchick, they're failling you. Mine uses real white meat.

>well they are cheap.

2.)They're $2.79 at my locals. And no drink (Also true with Pizza.)
Not as cheap as fast food.

Good, though.

Greg Zywicki

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:40:21 GMT, jay wrote:
>

> Chicken Bakes are good! I'm not wild about the pizza, though.

I've learned to stop worryind and Love the Pizza. Once I learned to
like the sauce (it
doesn't have that zingy tomatoey punch I like, it's more like a meat
sauce) I decided
it was good stuff.

> And I haven't tried whatever dog they're using this decade (used
> to be Nathan's and Hebrew National in the past).

As a unrepentant Pollock, I can't love beef dogs. Pork, natural casing
dogs
are what I love. Koegels or Kowaslki.

> Just don't buy the Thyme
> - it's mostly woody stems. Buy the $4 bottle of McCormick's at
> CostCo instead.
>
> -sw

If you have a little patch of yard free, spend your $4.00 on a live
plant or two and you'll soon find yourself with plenty of Thyme on your
hands. Yes, I am ashamed of myself.

Greg Zywicki
Did you get an Ice Cream Bar? I want an Ice Cream bar.

Homemade corn tortillas koko General Cooking 4 16-11-2010 09:33 AM
Gluring together corn tortillas? Sqwertz General Cooking 17 01-04-2008 01:24 AM
Blue Corn Tortillas raylee821 General Cooking 6 31-07-2005 12:46 AM
Baja Corn Tortillas Jeff Lane Diabetic 1 09-06-2005 03:59 AM
Cooking Corn Tortillas chiaroscuro Mexican Cooking 9 02-12-2004 05:45 PM