Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baked sweet potato fries?

Hiya all,

Dinner for tonight is sort of planned... the infamous roast chicken
with lemons, salad (romaine, cucumber, red onion, tomato, with
vinagrette dressing of some sort.

I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?

I have all my cookbooks, and maybe I will get the energy later on to
look through them to find a recipe of the sort I want. But for now,
I will ask here to see what you all have to say.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:16:02 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Hiya all,
>
>Dinner for tonight is sort of planned... the infamous roast chicken
>with lemons, salad (romaine, cucumber, red onion, tomato, with
>vinagrette dressing of some sort.
>
>I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
>friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
>fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?
>
>I have all my cookbooks, and maybe I will get the energy later on to
>look through them to find a recipe of the sort I want. But for now,
>I will ask here to see what you all have to say.

I've used this method to my satisfaction. I vary the spices. I
probably got the recipe off the net, can't remember and didn't make
note of it.

(did you get your "surprise"?) :-)

Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large (about 1 1/2 pounds) sweet potatoes

Prepare the sweet potatoes: In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, and
pepper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel potatoes, cut
each in half lengthwise, and cut each half into 6 wedges. In a large
bowl, combine the cut potatoes, oil, and spice mixture. Toss until
potatoes are evenly coated.

Bake the fries: On a baking sheet, arrange potatoes in a single layer
and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake until edges are crisp
and potatoes are cooked through -- about 30 minutes. Serve
immediately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:16:02 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
>friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
>fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?

Lots of times I have deep fried sweet potato cut as chips. They taste
great. They don't need as long as "normal" potatoes.

Steve

http://www.easynn.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Hiya all,
>
> Dinner for tonight is sort of planned... the infamous roast chicken
> with lemons, salad (romaine, cucumber, red onion, tomato, with
> vinagrette dressing of some sort.

Can't go wrong with that roast lemon chicken, IMHO

> I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
> friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
> fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?

Yup. We have made sweet potato fries - and we liked them... However, we
par-cook them (you can either boil or nuke 'em until just soft-ish) then
slice them into "rounds" and fry in the hot oil until golden. Quite yummy.

Glad to hear you are getting into food again - I believe you were not
too happy with the hospital food??

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Hiya all,
>
> I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
> friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
> fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?

Nope... sweet potato fries must be deep fried. It's like a law or something

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> Dinner for tonight is sort of planned... the infamous roast chicken
> with lemons, salad (romaine, cucumber, red onion, tomato, with
> vinagrette dressing of some sort.
>
> I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
> friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
> fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?

I deep fry them. :-)

"Fry" cut them fairly fine. Fry them until they start to brown (about 3
minutes). Take them out and coat with a light coating of corn starch
then toss them back into the hot oil for another 1 to 2 minutes. Just
until they crisp.

Remove to drain and sprinkle (LIGHTLY!!!) with your choice of spices. I
use a salt free fajita spice mix.

I use a deep fryer.

> I have all my cookbooks, and maybe I will get the energy later on to
> look through them to find a recipe of the sort I want. But for now,
> I will ask here to see what you all have to say.
>
> Christine

Yam fries are the gods........ ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
> > Hiya all,
> >
> > I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
> > friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
> > fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?
> >

> Nope... sweet potato fries must be deep fried. It's like a law or something
>

> Jill

Agreed!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Sweet potato fries Gary General Cooking 19 18-07-2012 05:04 PM
Sweet Potato Fries Nonny Barbecue 25 03-11-2009 09:14 PM
Baked Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2008 02:52 AM
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-11-2007 01:56 AM
sweet potato french fries pfoley General Cooking 28 27-08-2006 06:10 PM