Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sommelier necklace?

What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?
>
> nancy

tracking device.
They can try to escape but they won't be gone long. It's a little known secret
that sommeliers are indentured servants, previously midgets, now stretched to
full height using magic and common kitchen ladles. In exchange for this new
found lengthiness they owe their waking hours to their evil restauranteur
overlords.

People will try to tell you it has something to do with position or knowledge,
but I know better and I'm on a crusade to get the word out.

or maybe I had too much coffee and no food and I've spent the day doing
laundry, running errands and packing.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, on Fri, 13
Oct 2006 14:47:33 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

A "tastevin".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tastevin

Any sommelier still wearing one should be shot on sight.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

> tracking device.
> They can try to escape but they won't be gone long. It's a little known
> secret
> that sommeliers are indentured servants, previously midgets, now stretched
> full height using magic and common kitchen ladles. In exchange for this
> new
> found lengthiness they owe their waking hours to their evil restauranteur
> overlords.

I had *no* idea!!! Thanks!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Seth Goodman" > wrote

> In article >, on Fri, 13
> Oct 2006 14:47:33 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

> A "tastevin".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tastevin
>

> Any sommelier still wearing one should be shot on sight.

Haha! That's funny. I couldn't think what purpose it had.
So it's just a traditional thing now. Thank you very much.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "The Bubbo" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

>> tracking device.
>> They can try to escape but they won't be gone long. It's a little known
>> secret
>> that sommeliers are indentured servants, previously midgets, now stretched
>> full height using magic and common kitchen ladles. In exchange for this
>> new
>> found lengthiness they owe their waking hours to their evil restauranteur
>> overlords.

> I had *no* idea!!! Thanks!
>
> nancy

most people don't.
It's a strange world we're living in, Nancy, a mighty strange world.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> tracking device.

lol - I much prefer Heather's (full) explanation!

did you add a dash or two of spirit to that coffee?
hehehe

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, on Fri,
13 Oct 2006 18:54:22 GMT, The Bubbo wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

> tracking device.
> They can try to escape but they won't be gone long. It's a little known secret
> that sommeliers are indentured servants, previously midgets, now stretched to
> full height using magic and common kitchen ladles. In exchange for this new
> found lengthiness they owe their waking hours to their evil restauranteur
> overlords.
>
> People will try to tell you it has something to do with position or knowledge,
> but I know better and I'm on a crusade to get the word out.

I like your explanation better than mine! ;-)

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>
>> tracking device.

> lol - I much prefer Heather's (full) explanation!
>
> did you add a dash or two of spirit to that coffee?
> hehehe
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

I did not, but as I was leaving my sister's this morning I found a little
bottle of jack daniels that a coworker gave me. I'd dropped it in my purse and
forgot about it. Considering how this day is going (why can't men pack their
suitcases early????) i was sorely tempted.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Seth Goodman wrote:
> In article >, on Fri,
> 13 Oct 2006 18:54:22 GMT, The Bubbo wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>> > What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

>> tracking device.
>> They can try to escape but they won't be gone long. It's a little known

secret
>> that sommeliers are indentured servants, previously midgets, now stretched

>> full height using magic and common kitchen ladles. In exchange for this new
>> found lengthiness they owe their waking hours to their evil restauranteur
>> overlords.
>>
>> People will try to tell you it has something to do with position or

knowledge,
>> but I know better and I'm on a crusade to get the word out.

> I like your explanation better than mine! ;-)

people will always prefer the truth!!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sommelier necklace (medallion/tastevin)

"Seth Goodman" > wrote in message
.net...
> In article >, on Fri, 13
> Oct 2006 14:47:33 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

> A "tastevin".

Close. The tastevin is the small silver wine-taster the sommelier wears on a
chain/ribbon around his neck. If he wears a medallion, it is likely the
insignia of some group such as La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin.

I haven't seen a sommelier wearing either accoutrement in years. Come to
think of it, I haven't seen a whole lot of sommeliers in years, either. No
great loss.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote

> "Seth Goodman" > wrote

>> In article >, on Fri, 13
>> Oct 2006 14:47:33 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

>> A "tastevin".

> Close. The tastevin is the small silver wine-taster the sommelier wears on
> a chain/ribbon around his neck. If he wears a medallion, it is likely the
> insignia of some group such as La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin.
>
> I haven't seen a sommelier wearing either accoutrement in years. Come to
> think of it, I haven't seen a whole lot of sommeliers in years, either. No
> great loss.

I was in Boston when I saw one ... but I saw in on tv. I actually
wrote it down so I'd remember to look it up when I got home.
Thanks for the explanations.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane said...

> The Bubbo wrote:
>
>> tracking device.

> lol - I much prefer Heather's (full) explanation!
>
> did you add a dash or two of spirit to that coffee?
> hehehe

I know a guy who routinely adds Bailey's Irish Cream to his morning
coffee instead of ordinary cream, milk, whatever. I imagine it tastes
good.

I like Heather's explanation as well. Live and learn.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> I know a guy who routinely adds Bailey's Irish Cream to his morning
> coffee instead of ordinary cream, milk, whatever. I imagine it tastes
> good.

I did that every morning on a cruise to mask the horrible taste
of the coffee available from the on deck place they had. It was
awful. Good thing booze was cheap at every island stop.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> I know a guy who routinely adds Bailey's Irish Cream to his morning
>> coffee instead of ordinary cream, milk, whatever. I imagine it tastes
>> good.

> I did that every morning on a cruise to mask the horrible taste
> of the coffee available from the on deck place they had. It was
> awful. Good thing booze was cheap at every island stop.
>
> nancy

Where did you cruise to?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...

>> "Andy" <q> wrote
>>
>>> I know a guy who routinely adds Bailey's Irish Cream to his morning
>>> coffee instead of ordinary cream, milk, whatever. I imagine it tastes
>>> good.

>> I did that every morning on a cruise to mask the horrible taste
>> of the coffee available from the on deck place they had. It was
>> awful. Good thing booze was cheap at every island stop.

> Where did you cruise to?

The Caribbean ... St. Martin, St. Thomas, Martinique, etc.
I'm not sure I'd cruise again, except perhaps Alaska.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

>> Where did you cruise to?

> The Caribbean ... St. Martin, St. Thomas, Martinique, etc.
> I'm not sure I'd cruise again, except perhaps Alaska.
>
> nancy

Make sure the whales are there when/if you go.

Andy
Been up close and personal with a humpback whale.
Wearing a gold whale's fluke charm ever since, 1984.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

It's a taster. When I was a young feller, I opened up my first checking
account. The banks still gave out presents in those days. They gave me
one of those. Like, what the HELL am I going to do with that?

Another bank gave out cases of Pepsi products. That was much more
sensible for the hip young college student on the go.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

> It's a taster. When I was a young feller, I opened up my first checking
> account. The banks still gave out presents in those days. They gave me
> one of those. Like, what the HELL am I going to do with that?

What, did they score some overstock somewhere? (laugh)
That's a riot. Early bling.

> Another bank gave out cases of Pepsi products. That was much more
> sensible for the hip young college student on the go.

Heh, that would be you? Cool.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > > What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

> > It's a taster. When I was a young feller, I opened up my first
> > checking account. The banks still gave out presents in those days.
> > They gave me one of those. Like, what the HELL am I going to do
> > with that?

> What, did they score some overstock somewhere? (laugh)
> That's a riot. Early bling.

It was nutty. That was the lowest level thing. You get other
wine-related stuff with higher deposits.

> > Another bank gave out cases of Pepsi products. That was much more
> > sensible for the hip young college student on the go.

> Heh, that would be you? Cool.

I'd like to think so. After all I was pulling down
newspaper-delivery-guy money!

Brian
won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tastedevin (or Tassie), basically a shallow saucer like receptacle
that has indentations so that the available light gets reflected through
the wine.

Local village used to sell them as entry tickets for the yearly musical
event where you could wander from vigneron to vigneron tasting their
wares whilst listening to the different styles of music on offer.

Steve
(45 kms NW of Lyon in the Beaujolais)

Nancy Young wrote:
> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
> > I know a guy who routinely adds Bailey's Irish Cream to his morning
> > coffee instead of ordinary cream, milk, whatever. I imagine it tastes
> > good.

> I did that every morning on a cruise to mask the horrible taste
> of the coffee available from the on deck place they had. It was
> awful. Good thing booze was cheap at every island stop.
>
> nancy

Two things I've found that improve the taste of battery acid: plain
cocoa powder or cinnamon. Best when added to the grounds while
brewing, but acceptable when added afterwards.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:58:24 -0400, Seth Goodman >
wrote:

>In article >, on Fri, 13
>Oct 2006 14:47:33 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

>A "tastevin".
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tastevin
>

>Any sommelier still wearing one should be shot on sight.

They are silly looking, aren't they? Frankly I can't say I've ever
seen one around the neck of a real sommelier. It seems like a movie
prop from the '30s. What sommelier worth his salt would taste wine
from a metal object?
--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>They are silly looking, aren't they? Frankly I can't say I've ever
>seen one around the neck of a real sommelier. It seems like a movie
>prop from the '30s. What sommelier worth his salt would taste wine
>from a metal object?

One who was using it as a reflectorive receptacle to look
at the color and sediment in the wine...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reflectorive?

--Blair
"I need some wine."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Felice Friese > wrote:

>"Seth Goodman" > wrote in message
t.net...
>> In article >, on Fri, 13
>> Oct 2006 14:47:33 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> What is that big medallion you see on wine stewards?

>> A "tastevin".

>Close. The tastevin is the small silver wine-taster the sommelier wears on a
>chain/ribbon around his neck. If he wears a medallion, it is likely the
>insignia of some group such as La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin.
>
>I haven't seen a sommelier wearing either accoutrement in years. Come to
>think of it, I haven't seen a whole lot of sommeliers in years, either. No
>great loss.

The old ways dieth off. It's sad. Sommeliation was a good
practice, if a bit flawed and often overkill.

It would be phony, however, for a sommelier to wear an actual
tastevin, unless there are wine barrels being sampled in the
restaurant, an unlikely scenario.

Steve

You can now buy a KFC gold-plated chicken bone necklace Travis McGee General Cooking 8 27-06-2014 07:31 AM
Sommelier training? Regular Joe Wine 0 28-04-2007 02:58 AM
American Sommelier Association mod4516 Wine 0 05-01-2006 04:25 PM
Term for Wine Expert-not Sommelier? Sarah General 3 06-02-2004 11:00 PM