Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite Chocolate Chips for baking?

I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
> of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
> morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
> brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
> mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

For cookies, I use Ghirardelli's 60% Chocolate Chips. I have been
very satisfied with them, except that I eat too many while I prepare
the dough.

For Brownies, I use Unsweetened Chocolate blocks, Callebaut preferably.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
> of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
> morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
> brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
> mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)
>
> --
> "Little Malice" is Jani in WA
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

I like Ghiradelli's "Double Chocolate" chips for baking. Good texture,
and they hold their shape in a baked good instead of melting flat.
Only down side is their size. They seem even a little larger than
standard chips.

Jason

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Margaret Suran > said:
> Little Malice wrote:

> > I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
> > of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
> > morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
> > brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
> > mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

> For cookies, I use Ghirardelli's 60% Chocolate Chips. I have been
> very satisfied with them, except that I eat too many while I prepare
> the dough.
>
> For Brownies, I use Unsweetened Chocolate blocks, Callebaut preferably.

Oh, I should have mentioned that I put unsweetened and sweetened
chocolate in my brownies. And thanks for the info, Margaret... :-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jason Tinling wrote:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
>>I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
>>of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
>>morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
>>brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
>>mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)
>>
>>--
>>"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
>>~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

> I like Ghiradelli's "Double Chocolate" chips for baking. Good texture,
> and they hold their shape in a baked good instead of melting flat.
> Only down side is their size. They seem even a little larger than
> standard chips.
>
> Jason

They stopped making the Double Chocolate Chips and Bars quite a while
ago and are now making the 60% chips and bars instead. Unless you
live some place where they still sell the Double Chocolate chocolate,
you will have trouble getting more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:22:44 GMT, Little Malice wrote:
>
>> I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
>> of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
>> morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
>> brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
>> mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

> Ghirradelli Premium White.

You vixen ;-)

I use whatever I have in the freezer. I bought something ridiculous like 25
pounds of semi-sweet choc chips in bulk from a confectioner's company. I
have no idea what possessed me, so don't ask. I think I'm down to about 12
pounds now. I clearly need to bake more.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:22:44 GMT, Little Malice wrote:
>
>> I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
>> of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
>> morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
>> brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
>> mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

> Ghirradelli Premium White.
>
> -sw

She said "chocolate". White chocolate is nothing but fat and flavorings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the fast replies, folks! I'll keep watching the thread.
I did find an online outfit that sells Guittard Mini Chips (not
in 25# increments, thank Goodness), and I'll try the Ghiradelli
and Hershey's if I can find them locally. I've got some friends
coming over on the 21st -- we'll have to have a chocolate chip
taste test. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to make the brownies
for the neighbors; they're a "thanks for the grapes last summer"
thing. Nice folks, we're lucky to have them next door.

Anyway, thanks again... :-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> Thanks for the fast replies, folks! I'll keep watching the thread.
> I did find an online outfit that sells Guittard Mini Chips (not
> in 25# increments, thank Goodness), and I'll try the Ghiradelli
> and Hershey's if I can find them locally. I've got some friends
> coming over on the 21st -- we'll have to have a chocolate chip
> taste test. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to make the brownies
> for the neighbors; they're a "thanks for the grapes last summer"
> thing. Nice folks, we're lucky to have them next door.
>
> Anyway, thanks again... :-)

Could you, please, post the address for the Guittard chips, if you
still know it? I have no luck finding a reliable online outfit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Margaret Suran > said:

> Little Malice wrote:
> > Thanks for the fast replies, folks! I'll keep watching the thread.
> > I did find an online outfit that sells Guittard Mini Chips (not
> > in 25# increments, thank Goodness), and I'll try the Ghiradelli
> > and Hershey's if I can find them locally. I've got some friends
> > coming over on the 21st -- we'll have to have a chocolate chip
> > taste test. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to make the brownies
> > for the neighbors; they're a "thanks for the grapes last summer"
> > thing. Nice folks, we're lucky to have them next door.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks again... :-)
> >

> Could you, please, post the address for the Guittard chips, if you
> still know it? I have no luck finding a reliable online outfit.

Anything for you, Margaret - :-)

http://tinyurl.com/el5qt

OR

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.
jsp;
jsessionid=FB8C234DEAA5BA83C6A55DC6C22A6442?id=105 9&pv=1160501159624

They've got other brands too...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Could you, please, post the address for the Guittard chips, if you
> still know it? I have no luck finding a reliable online outfit.

http://bakerscandc.com/index.php?page=001

I've bought the Guittard Oban wafers from them about three times. I
have been very happy with their service. I don't know if they have
what you want.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller; blahblahblog 9/29/2006
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:16:29 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Ghirradelli Premium White.

>> She said "chocolate". White chocolate is nothing but fat and flavorings.

> As long as it's at least 20% cocoa butter, 14% milk solids, and no
> more than 55% sugar(s), it is legally _chocolate_ in the United
> States.
>
> -sw

Legally, yes. But it doesn't taste like chocolate. The cocoa solids have
been removed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice said...

> I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
> of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
> morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
> brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
> mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

Hershey makes a decent variety of all kinds of chips. I don't bake though
so I can't vouch for quality or consistency.

http://www.hersheys.com/products/det...kingpieces.asp

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> I have the 7lb bag of Nestle semi-sweet bought from CostCo.
> Ironically, it was more expensive that the Toblerone I got there
> at the same time ($1.95 for 6 3.5oz bars - 21ounces).
>
> I bought a case of the Toblerone. I should make cookies out of
> them... What a great idea - thanks!

<drool> I love Toblerone....

> -Stephanie Wertz

I'll bet you look mighty fetching in that ruffled apron *:-)

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> They stopped making the Double Chocolate Chips and Bars quite a while
> ago and are now making the 60% chips and bars instead. Unless you
> live some place where they still sell the Double Chocolate chocolate,
> you will have trouble getting more.

Hi Margaret!

Here in sunny Sandy Eggo, the local Albertsons chains still carry the
doule chocolate chocolate chips. Or at least their website thinks they
do :-)

Jason

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jason Tinling wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>>They stopped making the Double Chocolate Chips and Bars quite a while
>>ago and are now making the 60% chips and bars instead. Unless you
>>live some place where they still sell the Double Chocolate chocolate,
>>you will have trouble getting more.

> Hi Margaret!
>
> Here in sunny Sandy Eggo, the local Albertsons chains still carry the
> doule chocolate chocolate chips. Or at least their website thinks they
> do :-)
>
> Jason

I haven't seen any in the stores in which I shop, but the 60% is very
good. Too good, I always have to taste the chips, to make sure they
have not spoiled )

On Sunday there will be a Book Fair and Ghirardelli will give out
"free Ghirardelli Intense Dark Chocolate samples". I wonder whether
this is a new chocolate being introduced to the public.

Perhaps Alex Rast will see this post and tell us what he knows about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch
> of brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
> morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
> brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
> mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

I've always used Nestle's, and not only for the choc. chip
cookie recipe on the bag. I just think they're the best quality.
I won't pay premium prices for "gourment" chocolate chips.
And Hershey's are not as good as Nestle's.
Nestle's is just a good all around chip.
Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Little Malice wrote:
>> I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch of
>> brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
>> morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
>> brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
>> mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

> I've always used Nestle's, and not only for the choc. chip
> cookie recipe on the bag. I just think they're the best quality.
> I won't pay premium prices for "gourment" chocolate chips.
> And Hershey's are not as good as Nestle's.
> Nestle's is just a good all around chip.
> Kate

Oh please....have you ever PROPERLY compared Nestle's to any of the gourmet
chips? Nestles is the Wonder Bread of chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Kate Connally" > wrote in message
>
>>Little Malice wrote:
>>
>>>I mentioned in today's "Breakfast" thread that I want to make a batch of
>>>brownies for my neighbors. I normally use Nestle's mini semi-sweet
>>>morsels, but IMHO, they're a bit gritty (not enough conching). What
>>>brand of chocolate chips do you use for baking and do they come in
>>>mini size or is that just a Nestle/Hershey thing? Thanks! :-)

>>I've always used Nestle's, and not only for the choc. chip
>>cookie recipe on the bag. I just think they're the best quality.
>>I won't pay premium prices for "gourment" chocolate chips.
>>And Hershey's are not as good as Nestle's.
>>Nestle's is just a good all around chip.
>>Kate

> Oh please....have you ever PROPERLY compared Nestle's to any of the gourmet
> chips? Nestles is the Wonder Bread of chips.

First off, I don't know what you mean by "properly".
Second off, I said I'm not willing to pay the high price
for the "gourmet" chips. To expand, the regular chips
(i.e. Nestle's) are expensive enough, and I don't care
for Ghiardelli chocolate at all so I'm pretty sure I
wouldn't even like their chips and besides they're too
expensive. No, I haven't compared, properly or otherwise,
any of the "gourment" chips because I'm not willing to
pay that high a price. Nestle's chip are fine for me
and are perfectly good for making chocolate chip cookies,
etc. Now, if I were making fondue, for example, I would
not use Nestle's choc. chips, I would get really good
chocolate (at least one that *I* consider good chocolate,
i. e. *not* Ghiardelli's). But for anything that calls
for choc. chips I'm going to use Nestle's. There's nothing
wrong with it.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>>I've always used Nestle's, and not only for the choc. chip
>>>cookie recipe on the bag. I just think they're the best quality.
>>>I won't pay premium prices for "gourment" chocolate chips.
>>>And Hershey's are not as good as Nestle's.
>>>Nestle's is just a good all around chip.
>>>Kate

>> Oh please....have you ever PROPERLY compared Nestle's to any of the
>> gourmet chips? Nestles is the Wonder Bread of chips.

> First off, I don't know what you mean by "properly".
> Second off, I said I'm not willing to pay the high price
> for the "gourmet" chips. To expand, the regular chips
> (i.e. Nestle's) are expensive enough, and I don't care
> for Ghiardelli chocolate at all so I'm pretty sure I
> wouldn't even like their chips and besides they're too
> expensive. No, I haven't compared, properly or otherwise,
> any of the "gourment" chips because I'm not willing to
> pay that high a price. Nestle's chip are fine for me
> and are perfectly good for making chocolate chip cookies,
> etc. Now, if I were making fondue, for example, I would
> not use Nestle's choc. chips, I would get really good
> chocolate (at least one that *I* consider good chocolate,
> i. e. *not* Ghiardelli's). But for anything that calls
> for choc. chips I'm going to use Nestle's. There's nothing
> wrong with it.
>
> Kate

Properly means that you actually test two foods side by side, with
appropriate amounts of time allowed for one taste to subside before trying
the other. I understand that your budget is your business and nobody else's,
but to say "I just think they're the best quality" is to ignore reality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Speaking of Chocolate Chips ( Favorite Chocolate Chips for baking?)

Does anyone have any good COOKIE recipes that pair well with Milk
Chocolate chips? I usually use semi sweet, but I have a couple bags of
milk choc for something that never happened & don't know what to do
with them. Maybe a recipe a 4 year old would love?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
> Does anyone have any good COOKIE recipes that pair well with Milk
> Chocolate chips? I usually use semi sweet, but I have a couple bags of
> milk choc for something that never happened & don't know what to do
> with them. Maybe a recipe a 4 year old would love?

Use the recipe from the semi-sweet bag of Nestle chocolate chips but use
milk chocolate chips. Your 4 year old will love them as is, but if you
think they need some help, split the dough and add food coloring so they
come out different colors.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
> Does anyone have any good COOKIE recipes that pair well with Milk
> Chocolate chips? I usually use semi sweet, but I have a couple bags of
> milk choc for something that never happened & don't know what to do
> with them. Maybe a recipe a 4 year old would love?

I use milk chocolate chips as a layer in Magic Cookie Bars. one layer
of milk chips, another layer of Peanut Butter or butterscotch or white
chips.

Or else, I make giant choc chip cookies that use milk, semi-sweet, ADN
white chips. I can post the recipe if you want it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

>> Oh please....have you ever PROPERLY compared Nestle's to any of the
>> gourmet chips? Nestles is the Wonder Bread of chips.

> First off, I don't know what you mean by "properly".
> Second off, I said I'm not willing to pay the high price
> for the "gourmet" chips. To expand, the regular chips
> (i.e. Nestle's) are expensive enough, and I don't care
> for Ghiardelli chocolate at all so I'm pretty sure I
> wouldn't even like their chips and besides they're too
> expensive. No, I haven't compared, properly or otherwise,
> any of the "gourment" chips because I'm not willing to
> pay that high a price. Nestle's chip are fine for me
> and are perfectly good for making chocolate chip cookies,
> etc. Now, if I were making fondue, for example, I would
> not use Nestle's choc. chips, I would get really good
> chocolate (at least one that *I* consider good chocolate,
> i. e. *not* Ghiardelli's). But for anything that calls
> for choc. chips I'm going to use Nestle's. There's nothing
> wrong with it.

I've always been more than happy with Nestle semi sweet chips for
baking. I doubt a more "gourmet" chip is going to make an appreciable
difference to a kid or someone just wanting a basic sweet "Toll House
Cookie"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Oct 2006 09:47:33 -0700, "denise~*" >
wrote:

>Does anyone have any good COOKIE recipes that pair well with Milk
>Chocolate chips? I usually use semi sweet, but I have a couple bags of
>milk choc for something that never happened & don't know what to do
>with them. Maybe a recipe a 4 year old would love?

I like to use milk chocolate chips in these cookies because the
cookies themselves are so rich and chocolatey.

Sour Cream Cocoa Cookies

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 6 ounce package chocolate chips

Mix flour, cocoa, soda and salt. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Beat in egg, then sour cream and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour
mixture. Stir in chocolate pieces. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly
greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 minutes or until just
done. Do not overbake. Cookies may seem slightly soft when removed
from oven but will firm up while cooling. Cool on racks. Makes about 5
dozen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, cathy > said:
> On 11 Oct 2006 09:47:33 -0700, "denise~*" >
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have any good COOKIE recipes that pair well with Milk
> >Chocolate chips? I usually use semi sweet, but I have a couple bags of
> >milk choc for something that never happened & don't know what to do
> >with them. Maybe a recipe a 4 year old would love?

> I like to use milk chocolate chips in these cookies because the
> cookies themselves are so rich and chocolatey.
>
> Sour Cream Cocoa Cookies

<snip>

Oh, man -- these sound yummy! Thanks for sharing... :-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Does anyone have any good COOKIE recipes that pair well with Milk
>Chocolate chips? I usually use semi sweet, but I have a couple bags of
>milk choc for something that never happened & don't know what to do
>with them. Maybe a recipe a 4 year old would love?

I just bought a bag of caramel chocolate chip cookies and they used
milk chocolate - and they're FANTASTIC! So make a regular chocolate
chip cookie recipe but instead of using dark chocolate chips use 50-50
caramel buds and milk chocolate chips... and prepare to drool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"denise~*" > wrote:

> Does anyone have any good COOKIE recipes that pair well with Milk
> Chocolate chips? I usually use semi sweet, but I have a couple bags of
> milk choc for something that never happened & don't know what to do
> with them. Maybe a recipe a 4 year old would love?

Add them to a peanut butter cookie recipe. I made peanut butter
cookies the other night with chunky honey nut peanut butter and the mini
peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's. We have eaten them all up by
today.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Whiskey cake with chocolate chips! [email protected] General Cooking 3 16-05-2013 12:59 AM
Chocolate chips/Morse shrey Chocolate 1 17-12-2012 10:17 AM
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips for Milk Chocolate Candy Damaeus[_3_] General Cooking 198 06-03-2011 06:34 AM
Mint Chocolate Chips The Cook General Cooking 0 26-08-2005 10:39 PM
Dark Chocolate Mint Baking Chips/Chunks [email protected] General Cooking 5 31-01-2005 05:22 PM