Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Out of Turkey Stuffing

I am looking around for an easy out of bird stuffing for Thanksgiving.
I will be cooking a dinner for about 20-25 people. Anyone have one
that is easy, and tasty? Due to the size of the group, I can't spend
too much time on just one dish...so......have at it if interested :-)

TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:43:37 -0700, dancertm >
wrote:

>I am looking around for an easy out of bird stuffing for Thanksgiving.
>I will be cooking a dinner for about 20-25 people. Anyone have one
>that is easy, and tasty? Due to the size of the group, I can't spend
>too much time on just one dish...so......have at it if interested :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

James Beard's Basic Bread Stuffing

Recipe By :James Beard
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Side Dishes Thanksgiving

1 cup butter -- (2 sticks)
1 cup finely chopped shallots, onions, or spring
onions
8 cups fresh bread crumbs -- with crusts
1 teaspoon dried tarragon -- moistened with ....
1 tablespoon white wine -- for one hour
1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon salt -- or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Place the butter, shallots or onions in a saucepan, and allow the
butter to melt over low heat. Do not sauté the shallots. Combine with
the crumbs and other ingredients and toss lightly. Add more melted
butter if needed, and taste for seasoning. Stuff the bird lightly just
before roasting.

Herb Variations:

Instead of tarragon you can use any of the following herbs to taste.
(It is better not to mix herbs, except for the addition of parsley,
but mix if you must.)

1. About 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, soaked in a little white wine
for an hour.
2. Sage. Use with discretion, or it smothers all other flavors.
3. Summer savory. This has a delicious flavor for turkey and is less
known than most herbs.
4. Basil. The fresh is delicious and superb in the stuffing of a
spitted bird. If fresh is not available, use about 2 teaspoons of
dried basil, soaked in white wine beforehand.

Another way to give the flavor of fresh basil to your dressing is by
adding pesto, the Italian sauce normally used with pasta. Fortunately,
it freezes rather well, so pesto can be made when fresh basil is in
the market or in your herb garden and it is possible to have it with
your Thanksgiving or Christmas bird. Add about 3 tablespoons of pesto
or more to the basic bread stuffing.

Additives for Basic Bread Stuffing:

You will have to reduce the amount of crumbs, depending upon the
quantityof additive.

1. 1 1/2 to 2 cups coarsely broken cooked chestnuts (These may be
purchased in tins).
2. 1 cup or more toasted salted filberts.
3. 1 cup or more toasted unblanched almonds.
4. 1 cup or more salted pecan halves.
5. 1 1/2 to 2 cups toasted walnut halves.
6. 2 cups finely diced celery. This makes a delicious change in the
basic stuffing and is also good in goose.
7. 1 1/2 cups of finely diced fennel bulb. Omit any other herb save
parsley.
8. A head of finely shredded Boston lettuce. Added to the basic
stuffing at the last minute, this is surprisingly good. You may find
you need additional salt.
9. Giblets. Chop the gizzard and heart very fine; reserve the liver.
Sauté the gizzard and heart with the onions just enough to color them,
then mix with the rest of the ingredients. Use the liver in the sauce
later. Sauté it lightly in butter and chop exceedingly fine before
adding.

Makes enough for a 10-pound bird.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The rule for figuring out the proper amount of stuffing is
easy to remember -- approximately 1 cup per pound of bird. This works
very well unless you want stuffing for only one meal, in which case
this quantity is excessive. So, starting from the maximum, reduce the
among of stuffing to suit your needs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:49:43 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

P.S. I never stuff the bird. I just bake the dressing.

Carol

> [...]
>you need additional salt.
>9. Giblets. Chop the gizzard and heart very fine; reserve the liver.
>Sauté the gizzard and heart with the onions just enough to color them,
>then mix with the rest of the ingredients. Use the liver in the sauce
>later. Sauté it lightly in butter and chop exceedingly fine before
>adding.
>
>Makes enough for a 10-pound bird.
>
>Cuisine:
> "American"
>Source:
> "http://www.epicurious.com/"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>NOTES : The rule for figuring out the proper amount of stuffing is
>easy to remember -- approximately 1 cup per pound of bird. This works
>very well unless you want stuffing for only one meal, in which case
>this quantity is excessive. So, starting from the maximum, reduce the

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 6, 7:43 pm, dancertm > wrote:
> I am looking around for an easy out of bird stuffing for Thanksgiving.
> I will be cooking a dinner for about 20-25 people. Anyone have one
> that is easy, and tasty? Due to the size of the group, I can't spend
> too much time on just one dish...so......have at it if interested :-)

Almost every year my stuffing/dressing differs in some way or other.
Historically, there is no question which was most popular. I made a
ton of it and there was NONE left. Only time that has every happened.
It was: Mrs. Cubbison's Cornbread Stuffing Mix, plus the usual celery
and onion and butter and chicken broth, plus canned oysters, chopped,
canned/flat tinned smoked oysters, chopped, and canned black olives,
chopped. Period. No additional herbs, not even any fresh garlic.
I've never made it since, on the theory that such success couldn't be
duplicated and there were lots more ways to experiment. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 06 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> P.S. I never stuff the bird. I just bake the dressing.

Me too. Put dressing in a caserole pan and bake...This allows the bird and
dressing to cook faster, freeing up needed oven space for other things.

My recipe is simillar but different...To the Basic Beard Tarragon Dressing
I add wild rice and cooked bulk stuffing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(dancertm) wrote:
>I am looking around for an easy out of bird
>stuffing for Thanksgiving. I will be cooking a dinner for
>about 20-25 people. Anyone have one that is easy, and
>tasty? Due to the size of the group, I can't
>spend too much time on just one dish...so......have at it
>if interested :-)
>TIA---------------------------------------------------- With all the

warnings about in the bird stuffing last few years I fix our dressing on
the side but never in all the years my mother/grandmother stuffed their
birds not one person ever got ill even with the leftovers.

If you are going for a quick easy recipe I used stove top stuffing in
the bird the last thanksgiving when I was living with my ex due to
frictions between us I wasn't about to knock myself out fixing a nice
dinner for him but be darn using chicken broth instead of water & adding
a few fresh herbs it did taste pretty darn good.

Too bad he enjoyed it also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dancertm > wrote in
:

> I am looking around for an easy out of bird stuffing for
> Thanksgiving. I will be cooking a dinner for about 20-25
> people. Anyone have one that is easy, and tasty? Due to the
> size of the group, I can't spend too much time on just one
> dish...so......have at it if interested :-)
>
> TIA

Hello

Something here?

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...&q=recipe+turk
ey+%2Bdressing+%2Bsage+%2Bonion+%2Bsausage+-cornbread+-
apple&btnG=Search

** This is very much like I have made **
http://www.cooks-
recipes.com/103/8995/Sage_Sausage_Holiday_Dressing.html

or
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ng+%2Bsage+%2B
onion&btnG=Google+Search

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I recommend stuffing the bird into an osterich, and a duck into the
bird.

dancertm wrote:
> I am looking around for an easy out of bird stuffing for Thanksgiving.
> I will be cooking a dinner for about 20-25 people. Anyone have one
> that is easy, and tasty? Due to the size of the group, I can't spend
> too much time on just one dish...so......have at it if interested :-)
>
> TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Start with the cornbread-this is how my Southern grandmother made it:

Cornbread

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups yellow corn meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tap. baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
Fresh sage, snipped into small pieces, as much as you like (optional)

Preheat oven to 375º. Grease a 9" baking pan or a cast iron skillet, I
like Crisco but I have also use bacon drippings if I have it.If using a
cast iron skillet, heat it before adding the cornbread mix. Sift flour,
cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a medium bowl. Whisk
the buttermilk, melted butter and eggs in a large bowl then add the dry
ingredients and any extra spices that you want, like sage- whisk just
until blended. Pour batter into the prepared pan, bake until golden
brown around the edges about 30 minutes but check after about 20
minutes-test with a pick inserted into the center of the bread to make
sure it comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for a couple of
minutes then cut into squares and serve. Freezes well for up to 2
weeks.

Stuffing/Dressing

Grandmother always used the turkey or chicken giblets to make the broth
but I use either canned chicken broth or homemade. She also would
finely chop the giblets and add them to the dressing, there is a
preferance here, some like them, some don't..

1 medium yellow onion, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped chop some of the celery leaves also
1/2 stick of butter
1 baked 8 or 9 inch cornbread
6 pieces of white bread toasted
1 raw egg
Salt and pepper to taste
Enough broth to moisten the mixture without it being soupy
Additional sage to taste

In a large skillet, saute the chopped onions and celery in butter until
limp. Remove from the heat and set aside. In a large bowl, crumble the
cornbread and tear the toast into pieces-add the onion/celery mixture
and mix. Begin adding the broth a little at a time until moist but not
soupy. Add the salt, pepper and sage (if using) then taste for the
correct seasonings. If using chopped giblets add them now. Add the raw
egg and blend all well. Turn into a buttered baking dish, smooth the
top (or stuff the turkey, then bake remainder in a buttered baking
dish). If using a baking dish, bake at 350º for about 45 minutes or
until golden brown on top. If stuffing the turkey make sure to bake the
turkey right away.
I have found that making the stuffing the day before and refrigerating
until ready to use it improves the flavor. Jan

You can expand this recipe as needed. This is a Southern recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jan wrote:
> Start with the cornbread-this is how my Southern grandmother made it:
>

> In a large skillet, saute the chopped onions and celery in butter until
> limp.

I've seen this here before and I see it on all the cooking shows and
I've never understood this concept. I know of no one, nada, who cooks
their onions and celery before putting in the dressing mixture. It's
going to cook in the oven and it has always turned out perfect every
time with no failures. To me it's just an added unnecessary step and
pan to wash. Those ingredients can be tossed into the bowl, stirred
thoroughly and then placed in the casserole dish and baked.

I just don't get this step and the wasted time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:55:32 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:49:43 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>P.S. I never stuff the bird. I just bake the dressing.

For groups that large, I do both (because I think stuffing/dressing
that's been inside the bird has a particularly good flavor) and I mix
them together before serving.

Also, years ago a friend introduced me to chervil in dressing and I've
never looked back. So, for an interesting change of pace replace that
tarragon with chervil (another green herb in a glass jar)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07 Oct 2006 04:24:35 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>Hello
>
>Something here?
>
>http://www.google.com/search?num=100...&q=recipe+turk
>ey+%2Bdressing+%2Bsage+%2Bonion+%2Bsausage+-cornbread+-
>apple&btnG=Search
>
>** This is very much like I have made **
>http://www.cooks-
>recipes.com/103/8995/Sage_Sausage_Holiday_Dressing.html
>
>or
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ng+%2Bsage+%2B
>onion&btnG=Google+Search

Next time, try running those huge URLs through TinyLink or TinyURL
before posting

http://www.digipills.com/tinylink/introsafe.htm

http://tinyurl.com/

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Oct 2006 06:04:58 -0700, "itsjoannotjoann"
> wrote:

>Jan wrote:
>> Start with the cornbread-this is how my Southern grandmother made it:
>>

>> In a large skillet, saute the chopped onions and celery in butter until
>> limp.

>I've seen this here before and I see it on all the cooking shows and
>I've never understood this concept. I know of no one, nada, who cooks
>their onions and celery before putting in the dressing mixture. It's
>going to cook in the oven and it has always turned out perfect every
>time with no failures. To me it's just an added unnecessary step and
>pan to wash. Those ingredients can be tossed into the bowl, stirred
>thoroughly and then placed in the casserole dish and baked.
>
>I just don't get this step and the wasted time.

I used to do it until my mother told me *exactly* that. I stopped
precooking and have never looked back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 07:04:49 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:55:32 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:49:43 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>>
>>P.S. I never stuff the bird. I just bake the dressing.
>>

>For groups that large, I do both (because I think stuffing/dressing
>that's been inside the bird has a particularly good flavor) and I mix
>them together before serving.
>
>Also, years ago a friend introduced me to chervil in dressing and I've
>never looked back. So, for an interesting change of pace replace that
>tarragon with chervil (another green herb in a glass jar)

Alas, I was only able to make the dressing with tarragon once. It was
absolutely wonderful. But it turns out that Crash doesn't really care
for tarragon (or thyme, my other favorite herb), so I've been using
sage instead. I should make a dish of each. Yeah, Carol ... good
idea!

I like chervil quite a bit, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Oct 2006 06:04:58 -0700, "itsjoannotjoann"
> wrote:

>Jan wrote:
>> Start with the cornbread-this is how my Southern grandmother made it:
>>
>> In a large skillet, saute the chopped onions and celery in butter until
>> limp.

>I've seen this here before and I see it on all the cooking shows and
>I've never understood this concept. I know of no one, nada, who cooks
>their onions and celery before putting in the dressing mixture. It's
>going to cook in the oven and it has always turned out perfect every
>time with no failures. To me it's just an added unnecessary step and
>pan to wash. Those ingredients can be tossed into the bowl, stirred
>thoroughly and then placed in the casserole dish and baked.
>
>I just don't get this step and the wasted time.

It's worth the extra step just for the fantastic aroma that the
process generates! In my case, I don't stuff the bird, so the veggies
wouldn't get cooked if I didn't saute them first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 06:04:58a, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

> Jan wrote:
>> Start with the cornbread-this is how my Southern grandmother made it:
>>

>> In a large skillet, saute the chopped onions and celery in butter until
>> limp.

> I've seen this here before and I see it on all the cooking shows and
> I've never understood this concept. I know of no one, nada, who cooks
> their onions and celery before putting in the dressing mixture. It's
> going to cook in the oven and it has always turned out perfect every
> time with no failures. To me it's just an added unnecessary step and
> pan to wash. Those ingredients can be tossed into the bowl, stirred
> thoroughly and then placed in the casserole dish and baked.
>
> I just don't get this step and the wasted time.

Well, Joan, now you've seen it again. :-) I lightly sauté the onion and
celery, not 'til tender, but just enough to give it a start.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have seen the future, and it looks a lot like
the present -- only much longer. --Dan Quisenberry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Oct 2006 17:55:53 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 06:04:58a, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

>> I just don't get this step and the wasted time.

>Well, Joan, now you've seen it again. :-) I lightly sauté the onion and
>celery, not 'til tender, but just enough to give it a start.

Same here. I think it adds a lot to the flavor.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> Jan wrote:
> > Start with the cornbread-this is how my Southern grandmother made
> > it:
> >

> > In a large skillet, saute the chopped onions and celery in butter
> > until limp.

> I've seen this here before and I see it on all the cooking shows and
> I've never understood this concept. I know of no one, nada, who cooks
> their onions and celery before putting in the dressing mixture.

Well, I do. That is, the celery and leeks. I can't stand onions, but
leeks are cook well enough not to have objectionable pieces.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Instead of tarragon you can use any of the following herbs to taste.
> (It is better not to mix herbs, except for the addition of parsley,
> but mix if you must.)
>
> 3. Summer savory. This has a delicious flavor for turkey and is less
> known than most herbs.

I'll vouch for that. Summer savory is a staple in my kitchen, bread
stuffing ain't bread stuffing without it. I put onion, 2 or 3 fresh
mushrooms, a small carrot and a bit of celery in the food processor.
Pulse until finely chopped. Sauté in butter & and add to bread crumbs
with salt & pepper, summer savory. Mix by hand until crumbs are moist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 09:03:07a, Christine Dabney meant to say...

> On 7 Oct 2006 17:55:53 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 06:04:58a, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

>>> I just don't get this step and the wasted time.

>>Well, Joan, now you've seen it again. :-) I lightly sauté the onion and
>>celery, not 'til tender, but just enough to give it a start.

> Same here. I think it adds a lot to the flavor.
>
> Christine

Yep, Christine, that too!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have seen the future, and it looks a lot like
the present -- only much longer. --Dan Quisenberry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Oct 2006 19:58:06 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 09:03:07a, Christine Dabney meant to say...

>> Same here. I think it adds a lot to the flavor.
>>
>> Christine

>Yep, Christine, that too!

And to add even more flavor, I do what my mother did. I saute all
this in chicken fat.
I have a stash of chicken fat in the freezer, and I keep on adding to
it. Should have a nice amount by the holidays.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 11:00:59a, Christine Dabney meant to say...

> On 7 Oct 2006 19:58:06 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 09:03:07a, Christine Dabney meant to say...

>>> Same here. I think it adds a lot to the flavor.
>>>
>>> Christine

>>Yep, Christine, that too!

> And to add even more flavor, I do what my mother did. I saute all
> this in chicken fat.
> I have a stash of chicken fat in the freezer, and I keep on adding to
> it. Should have a nice amount by the holidays.
>
> Christine

I never buy enough chicken with skin on it to ever accumulate any usable
amount of fat. I just buy a jar of schmaltz at the Jewish market. I
suppose home-rendered fat might be better, but I'll probably never find
out. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have seen the future, and it looks a lot like
the present -- only much longer. --Dan Quisenberry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ok, now I'm glaring at Damsel, Wayne, Christine, and others so saute
their onions/leeks and celery first.

>:-(

(Sorry, that's my best imitation of glaring using emoticons.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 07 Oct 2006 11:20:02a, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

> Ok, now I'm glaring at Damsel, Wayne, Christine, and others so saute
> their onions/leeks and celery first.
>

>>:-(

> (Sorry, that's my best imitation of glaring using emoticons.)

hehehe!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have seen the future, and it looks a lot like
the present -- only much longer. --Dan Quisenberry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Oct 2006 11:20:02 -0700, "itsjoannotjoann"
> wrote:

>Ok, now I'm glaring at Damsel, Wayne, Christine, and others so saute
>their onions/leeks and celery first.
>
>>:-(

>(Sorry, that's my best imitation of glaring using emoticons.)

Excellent glare!

Pssst ... try doing the saute thing. Consider it Thursday morning
potpourri. You'll be glad you did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Oct 2006 11:20:02 -0700, "itsjoannotjoann"
> wrote:

>Ok, now I'm glaring at Damsel, Wayne, Christine, and others so saute
>their onions/leeks and celery first.
>

>>:-(

>(Sorry, that's my best imitation of glaring using emoticons.)

Try it. You might like it.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ok, now I'm glaring at Damsel, Wayne, Christine, and others so saute
> their onions/leeks and celery first.
>

>>:-(

> (Sorry, that's my best imitation of glaring using emoticons.)

Well, you can glare at me, too, I saute first, too. Don't glare too hard,
I cry.

nancy

About Turkey Stuffing Kent General Cooking 14 24-11-2006 06:43 AM
Turkey Stuffing Julie Bove Diabetic 13 16-11-2005 04:13 PM
Oyster stuffing for Turkey Carnivore269 General Cooking 6 11-11-2003 07:18 AM
Turkey Stuffing CM General Cooking 18 08-11-2003 10:48 PM
Turkey Stuffing CM Historic 0 06-11-2003 09:34 PM