FoodBanter.com

-   -   Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/103114-do-you-throw-first.html)

Terry[_1_] 06-10-2006 11:30 PM

Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
worry about the chemicals.

Karen[_3_] 06-10-2006 11:49 PM

Terry wrote:
> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
> worry about the chemicals.

Chemicals or pee.

Karen

Kris[_1_] 07-10-2006 12:28 AM

Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

I usually do - it's usually a little rough-looking anyway.

Kris

Jeff Rainer 07-10-2006 12:41 AM

Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

"Kris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I usually do - it's usually a little rough-looking anyway.
>
> Kris
>
> Terry wrote:
>> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
>> worry about the chemicals.

Wipe your ass with them. Then you have a reason to wash them. Once they
are washed don't worry about residual shit.

Andy[_2_] 07-10-2006 12:49 AM

Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

Terry said...

> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
> worry about the chemicals.

I toss 'em too.

Andy

sandi 07-10-2006 12:52 AM

Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

Terry > wrote in
:

> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them
> up, but I worry about the chemicals.

Toss.

Felice Friese 07-10-2006 02:53 AM

Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

"Karen" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Terry wrote:
>> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
>> worry about the chemicals.

> Chemicals or pee.
>
> Karen

Yeah, that and they're usually scruffy-looking. Pitch 'em.

Felice

Little Malice 07-10-2006 03:07 AM

One time on Usenet, Terry > said:

> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
> worry about the chemicals.

You must get better lettuce than I do -- the first couple of leaves
are usually pretty butchered so I throw 'em...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Mark Thorson 07-10-2006 03:08 AM

Terry wrote:

> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up,
> but I worry about the chemicals.

I do that with Brussels sprouts. Only the tight
inner leaves can be assured to be free of
E. coli O157:H7. And I boil or steam them,
never eat them raw, even without the current
problem with organic (manure) fertilizer.

sf[_3_] 07-10-2006 07:15 AM

Do you throw the first layer of lettuce away

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:30:14 -0400, Terry >
wrote:

>The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
>worry about the chemicals.

What kind of lettuce.... the "head" variey?

Karen AKA Kajikit 08-10-2006 05:03 AM

wrote:

>The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
>worry about the chemicals.

Yes because they're inevitably old and soggy and limp... and I don't
like the dark green leaves anyway. My favourite part is the heart -
tiny little tender pale green pieces of yumminess.

Kate Connally 09-10-2006 06:37 PM

Terry wrote:
> The first few leaves are the best part. I hate to give them up, but I
> worry about the chemicals.

I don't care about the first few leaves. They're usually too
dark and usually somewhat damaged anyway. Whether we're talking
iceberg or romaine I always throw away the outermost leaves.
Kate

[email protected] 11-10-2006 03:18 AM

Mark Thorson wrote:

> I do that with Brussels sprouts. Only the tight
> inner leaves can be assured to be free of
> E. coli O157:H7. And I boil or steam them,
> never eat them raw, even without the current
> problem with organic (manure) fertilizer.

E coli can go into plants through the vasculature of lettuce - why not
other plants?

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Irra...tedlettuce.cfm

Re the paper referenced in the URL above: I used to work in the lab
next door to those guys (the first author and his wife were even guests
at my wedding!). Anyway, they showed me photos of GFP-labeled E coli in
the lettuce "veins." Pretty damn convincing.

June