Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My first deep-fried turkey

Now I know what all the hoo-ha is about. Son-in-law just got his fryer and
did a number last night on a 16-pounder, and it was scrumptious: very tender
meat and very crunchy skin. He served it with the usual suspects: gravy,
mashed potatoes, stuffing and all like that. Only complaint: no drippings
for the gravy. but he winged it with some chicken fat.

AND I got to bring home the leftovers (SIL doesn't eat "used food") so I
have a pound of turkey meat in the fridge and a stock pot full of bones and
scraps on the stove. Tetrazzini, here I come.

Anyone done anything else in a turkey fryer? Roast pork, maybe?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

> AND I got to bring home the leftovers (SIL doesn't eat "used food") so I
> have a pound of turkey meat in the fridge and a stock pot full of bones and
> scraps on the stove. Tetrazzini, here I come.

I'd love to have your recipe for tetrazzini? <bats big cow eyes>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> Now I know what all the hoo-ha is about. Son-in-law just got his fryer and
> did a number last night on a 16-pounder, and it was scrumptious: very tender
> meat and very crunchy skin. He served it with the usual suspects: gravy,
> mashed potatoes, stuffing and all like that. Only complaint: no drippings
> for the gravy. but he winged it with some chicken fat.

You can always brown the liver and neck (and heart, et al), deglaze
with chicken broth, and then simmer it with carrots, celery, onions
and/or shallots, and herbs in place of the drippings. Roasted drippings
may be better, but last year I had one oven, and both a turkey and rib
roast, so I did the turkey the night before (into the morning) and left
the stock simmering for several hours. The gravy was more than passable
(mixed with a roux at the end). Of course this takes longer than frying
a turkey, but most of it is just waiting for the liquid to reduce, and
not much work.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dean G. wrote:
> Felice Friese wrote:
> > Now I know what all the hoo-ha is about. Son-in-law just got his fryer and
> > did a number last night on a 16-pounder, and it was scrumptious: very tender
> > meat and very crunchy skin. He served it with the usual suspects: gravy,
> > mashed potatoes, stuffing and all like that. Only complaint: no drippings
> > for the gravy. but he winged it with some chicken fat.

> You can always brown the liver and neck (and heart, et al), deglaze
> with chicken broth, and then simmer it with carrots, celery, onions
> and/or shallots, and herbs in place of the drippings.

You looking to test your garbage disposal... not many (as in none) will
want liver flavored...

Sheldon Giblet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Anyone done anything else in a turkey fryer? Roast pork, maybe?
>
> Felice

Every year my son does deep-fried turkeys for Thanksgiving. He usually
throws in a couple of chickens and last year he deep-fried a pork
tenderloin. Think he did overcook the tenderloin a bit, but pretty good
none-the-less.

Speaking of the gravy problem (which you seem to have resolved)this year
I've offered to bring the gravy... maybe order some from Minor's base
people or make my own. I have a friend who swears by the following recipe
(well not exactly a recipe):

Put some turkey pieces, I often buy wings for this purpose sometimes you'll
find necks and backs at the market. Put them in a roasting pan with some
carrot, celery, and onion. . Stick that in the oven at 450F.

Toss this stuff with a bit of oil and roast for about an hour turning once
in awhile till browned. Then put the pan, after it's cooled down a bit, on
top of the stove add some chicken stock and boil scraping all the fond off
the bottom and sides. Add 5 or so cups of water and maybe some wine and
boil; then reduce the heat and simmer until it's reduced probably by half.

Strain this into a container and refrigerate overnight.

Next day take the fat off the top and that's what you use to melt in your
pan for the roux. Add the stock and you're good to go. You've done good
gravy the day or two or three before the main event and it's wonderful. Just
remember to season salt pepper and the like to your taste.

Easy good and best of all it takes care of the last minute stuff. You can
always save the pan your roast the turkey in for more gravy later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Dean G. wrote:
>
>>Felice Friese wrote:
>>
>>>Now I know what all the hoo-ha is about. Son-in-law just got his fryer and
>>>did a number last night on a 16-pounder, and it was scrumptious: very tender
>>>meat and very crunchy skin. He served it with the usual suspects: gravy,
>>>mashed potatoes, stuffing and all like that. Only complaint: no drippings
>>>for the gravy. but he winged it with some chicken fat.

>>You can always brown the liver and neck (and heart, et al), deglaze
>>with chicken broth, and then simmer it with carrots, celery, onions
>>and/or shallots, and herbs in place of the drippings.

> You looking to test your garbage disposal... not many (as in none) will
> want liver flavored...

I like liver well enough on its own but not Not NOT! in my gravy or
stuffing. I've got three dogs, it's not hard to figure out what to do
with the turkey liver.

Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
>
>> AND I got to bring home the leftovers (SIL doesn't eat "used food") so I
>> have a pound of turkey meat in the fridge and a stock pot full of bones
>> and scraps on the stove. Tetrazzini, here I come.
>>

> I'd love to have your recipe for tetrazzini? <bats big cow eyes>

Batting my eyelashes back atcha, I offer my variation on an old Sunset mag
recipe:

4 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/4 cups light cream or half & half
1/2 cup white wine
3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/2 pound spaghetti, broken in 1-inch pieces
1 pound leftover turkey, cut up
salt and pepper

In saucepan, melt butter and blend in flour. Gradually add chicken stock,
cream and wine. Bring to a simmer and stir 3 minutes or until thickened.
Blend in Parmesan. Meanwhile, sauté mushroom slices and cook spaghetti until
done. Combine mushrooms, spaghetti, turkey, sauce, and salt and pepper. Turn
into baking dishes. Bake 20-30 minutes at 325.

I've been known to roast a small turkey just to make this.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message

>> Anyone done anything else in a turkey fryer? Roast pork, maybe?
>>
>> Felice

> Every year my son does deep-fried turkeys for Thanksgiving. He usually
> throws in a couple of chickens and last year he deep-fried a pork
> tenderloin. Think he did overcook the tenderloin a bit, but pretty good
> none-the-less.

<snip>

Thanks. I'll pass that along to the fryperson. As for the gravy, you're
right -- browning turkey bits and pieces and making the stock ahead would be
the way to go.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

> Batting my eyelashes back atcha, I offer my variation on an old Sunset mag
> recipe:
>
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 5 tablespoons flour
> 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
> 1 1/4 cups light cream or half & half
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
> 3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
> 1/2 pound spaghetti, broken in 1-inch pieces
> 1 pound leftover turkey, cut up
> salt and pepper
>
> In saucepan, melt butter and blend in flour. Gradually add chicken stock,
> cream and wine. Bring to a simmer and stir 3 minutes or until thickened.
> Blend in Parmesan. Meanwhile, sauté mushroom slices and cook spaghetti until
> done. Combine mushrooms, spaghetti, turkey, sauce, and salt and pepper. Turn
> into baking dishes. Bake 20-30 minutes at 325.
>
> I've been known to roast a small turkey just to make this.
>
> Felice

Thank you. I actually have only eaten this dish once at a DAR luncheon
and thought it was a great meal for serving a crowd, and not terribly
expensive I imagine?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote on 06 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> > AND I got to bring home the leftovers (SIL doesn't eat "used food")
> > so I
> >> have a pound of turkey meat in the fridge and a stock pot full of
> >> bones and scraps on the stove.

Tetrazzini, here I come.

You're going just collect that stuff in your house and then just go
trapsing off to somewhere in Italy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..

<snip Turkey Tet recipe>

> Thank you. I actually have only eaten this dish once at a DAR luncheon and
> thought it was a great meal for serving a crowd, and not terribly
> expensive I imagine?
> Goomba

Not expensive when you consider you've already paid for the turkey! I used
to make a load of it with the l/o Thanksgiving bird, freeze it, and then
serve it to hangers-on after our New Year's Day eggnog do. Betcha mine is
better than the DAR's.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:31:09 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Felice Friese wrote on 06 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> > AND I got to bring home the leftovers (SIL doesn't eat "used food")
>> > so I

>Tetrazzini, here I come.

As of last year, and from now on (unless I find something better) I
make gumbo with the turkey leftovers, and the turkey stock. It is
absolutely incredible.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:31:09 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
> wrote:
>
>>Felice Friese wrote on 06 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

>>Tetrazzini, here I come.

> As of last year, and from now on (unless I find something better) I
> make gumbo with the turkey leftovers, and the turkey stock. It is
> absolutely incredible.
>
> Christine

Great idea! I've got enough turkey stock to fill a bathtub and it's a bit
strong for the Turkey Tet, but it would certainly make a gutsy gumbo even
gutsier.

Felice

Deep Fried Turkey zoe General Cooking 29 22-11-2006 02:11 AM
Deep-Fried Turkey Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 23-11-2005 03:37 AM
Deep fried turkey - how many are trying it this year? The Fat Guy General Cooking 5 29-11-2004 10:48 PM
Deep Fried Turkey... Bill General Cooking 3 17-12-2003 07:24 PM
Deep Fried Turkey Bill General Cooking 49 12-10-2003 03:57 AM