Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Cajun Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

>From the FoodTV show "Throwdown with Bobby Flay", here is the jambalaya
recipe that a competitor used to win.

On the FoodTV website, the recipe lists some ingredients by weight and
some by volume. I've cut the recipe in half and converted it to volume
measurements. The original FoodTV recipe is listed below my conversion.

Cajun Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya (half recipe, converted to volume
measurements)

3-1/2 cups mild smoked pork sausage, or any lean high-quality smoked
pork sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
3-cups boneless skinless chicken thigh meat
3-cups onions, diced
1 Tbs minced fresh garlic
3-1/2 cups tasso ham, cubed
1 tsp whole fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp chopped fresh sweet basil leaves
3/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
3/4 tsp white pepper
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cups chicken stock
1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
1-1/2 tsp freshly chopped curly parsley leaves

Warning, this recipe is very spicy. Cut down on the three types of
pepper if you don't like spicy.
I made this in a 6-qt stockpot.

The original recipe and directions, as displayed on the FoodTV website,
are below.

-Rusty

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._34569,00.html

Cajun Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
Recipe courtesy Emile Stieffel
Show: Throwdown with Bobby Flay
Episode: Jambalaya

2 pounds mild smoked pork sausage, or any lean high-quality smoked pork
sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thigh meat
1 1/2 pounds onions, diced
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1 pound tasso, cubed
3/4 tablespoon whole fresh thyme leaves
3/4 tablespoon chopped fresh sweet basil leaves
1/2 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon white pepper
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1/3 gallon chicken stock
1 1/4 pounds long-grain rice
1 tablespoon freshly chopped curly parsley leaves

*Cook's Note: This recipe has been scaled down from its original
version so that it can more easily made.

The most important thing is to use the right equipment and I would
suggest the following: a 2-gallon cast iron Dutch oven, a high BTU gas
stove, and a large stainless steel chef's spoon.

Use high heat to preheat the Dutch oven and add the sausage. Using a
chef's spoon or large spoon, constantly move the sausage from the
bottom of the pot. Be careful not to burn the meat. (Normally I use
Manda's sausage because it has little fat, however at this point you
may want to drain off all of the excess grease to reduce the fat
content from the dish.)

Add the thigh meat and brown the chicken on all sides. Again use the
spoon to scrape the meat from sticking and burning to the bottom of the
pot. Browning the sausage and chicken meats should take 20 minutes. Be
careful not to over cook the thigh meat to the point that it shreds.

Lower the heat to medium and add the onions and garlic; saute for about
15 minutes or until the onions are very limp and "clear". Scrape the
bottom of the pot to remove all the "graton". This is where the
jambalaya gets its distinct brown color and taste.

Add the tasso, thyme, basil and black and white pepper. Simmer over low
heat for 10 minutes. This will give the seasonings time to release
their oils and flavors.

At this point the jambalaya concentrate can be transferred to smaller
containers, cooled to room temperature, covered and refrigerated for
future use. (This is what we do commercially; it allows the seasonings
to marry.)

When you are ready to cook the jambalaya, add the stock to the
concentrate and bring to a rolling boil. Add the rice, reduce the heat
to medium and gently break up the rice. Using the stainless steel
paddle, continue to insure that the rice is not sticking to the bottom
of the pot; this is very important!

After about 5 minutes, fold in the parsley. Continue to scrape the pot
to insure that no rice sticks to the bottom. When the jambalaya returns
to a boil, reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and simmer,
covered, for at least 25 minutes. Do not remove the cover while the
rice is steaming.

Alternate Method:
If Manda's brand sausage is not available, any lean smoked sausage can
be substituted. You may have to remove any excess grease from the pot
after frying down an unknown sausage.

For a richer jambalaya substitute turkey stock for the chicken stock
called for above.

If no stocks are available, then chicken soup base can be used. Be
careful with your seasoning, as bases are usually full of salt.

Plate Presentation:
The jambalaya is best when served directly out of the cast iron pot.
While the rice is steaming, the sausage and meat will have a tendency
to float to the surface of the jambalaya. Therefore, after the rice has
steamed for 25 minutes, use the paddle to gently fold in the meat and
seasonings into the cooked rice. This should only be done once or
twice, the rice will loose a lot of heat and the rice will break apart.

Also note, I do not add salt to my jambalaya. This is because I like to
use herbs, tasso and seasonings to satisfy the need for salt. I would
suggest having the table set with salt shakers and a selection of hot
pepper sauces.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down
from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens
chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and
therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.