Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas Scotch Cookies (aka shortbread cookies)

This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as well.
This isn't a recipe that can be messed with. IF you feel like being
creative, it will have be done with the finishing of the cookies. Examples:
different shapes, candies, nuts, flavoured icing, etc...

Scotch Cookies

1/2 cup corn starch

1/2 cup icing sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup butter (softened)

Sift together corn starch, icing sugar and flour with large spoon (NOT
METAL) thoroughly blend in butter . Work with hands until soft smooth dough
forms, if necessary refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle. Shape in 1
inch balls. Place about 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet flatten
with lightly floured fork or roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into
shapes with cookie cutters. Decorate with candied cherries, coloured
sprinkles or nuts if desired. Bake 300 F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until
edges are lightly browned. Time will vary with size of cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Carla Gilliss" > wrote

> This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
> for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
> for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as
> well. This isn't a recipe that can be messed with. IF you feel like being
> creative, it will have be done with the finishing of the cookies.
> Examples: different shapes, candies, nuts, flavoured icing, etc...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm making these.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Carla Gilliss" > wrote:

> This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
> for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
> for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as well.

> Scotch Cookies

Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
Scotland are Scottish. "-)

Why the cornstarch, do you know? Most of the shortbread recipes I've
looked at are just flour, sugar, and butter, maybe some flavoring. I
found a shortbread recipe from Glasgow that includes cornflour, but only
a small amount in proportion to the sugar, flour, and butter.

Anyone know what the purpose of the cornstarch is?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
> In article >,
> "Carla Gilliss" > wrote:

> > This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
> > for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
> > for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as well.

> > Scotch Cookies

> Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
> Scotland are Scottish. "-)
>
> Why the cornstarch, do you know? Most of the shortbread recipes I've
> looked at are just flour, sugar, and butter, maybe some flavoring. I
> found a shortbread recipe from Glasgow that includes cornflour, but only
> a small amount in proportion to the sugar, flour, and butter.
>
> Anyone know what the purpose of the cornstarch is?

Not I -- AAMOF, I had the same question, but didn't want to offend
the OP by mentioning it. (People who post how long they've been making
something sometimes take such queries as a challenge to their family
honor.) I should have known you'd not only have the chutzpah to ask,
but also be able to do so tactfully...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
>
>>In article >,
>> "Carla Gilliss" > wrote:

>>>This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
>>>for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
>>>for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as well.

>>>Scotch Cookies

>>Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
>>Scotland are Scottish. "-)
>>
>>Why the cornstarch, do you know? Most of the shortbread recipes I've
>>looked at are just flour, sugar, and butter, maybe some flavoring. I
>>found a shortbread recipe from Glasgow that includes cornflour, but only
>>a small amount in proportion to the sugar, flour, and butter.
>>
>>Anyone know what the purpose of the cornstarch is?

> Not I -- AAMOF, I had the same question, but didn't want to offend
> the OP by mentioning it. (People who post how long they've been making
> something sometimes take such queries as a challenge to their family
> honor.) I should have known you'd not only have the chutzpah to ask,
> but also be able to do so tactfully...

Add me to the "Idunno" list but I can tell you that most of the
shortbread recipes I've made contained cornstarch. I suspect it
contributes to the velvety, melt-in-your-mouth feel of the finished cookies.

Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Little Malice wrote:
>
> > One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:

> >>Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
> >>Scotland are Scottish. "-)
> >>
> >>Why the cornstarch, do you know? Most of the shortbread recipes I've
> >>looked at are just flour, sugar, and butter, maybe some flavoring. I
> >>found a shortbread recipe from Glasgow that includes cornflour, but only
> >>a small amount in proportion to the sugar, flour, and butter.
> >>
> >>Anyone know what the purpose of the cornstarch is?

> > Not I -- AAMOF, I had the same question, but didn't want to offend
> > the OP by mentioning it. (People who post how long they've been making
> > something sometimes take such queries as a challenge to their family
> > honor.) I should have known you'd not only have the chutzpah to ask,
> > but also be able to do so tactfully...
> >

> Add me to the "Idunno" list but I can tell you that most of the
> shortbread recipes I've made contained cornstarch. I suspect it
> contributes to the velvety, melt-in-your-mouth feel of the finished cookies.
>
> Kathleen

Huh. Maybe I've been missing that because I don't especially like
shortbread -- I think it leaves the MOST Alexawful taste in the mouth
after eating.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
> > Little Malice wrote:

> > > Not I -- AAMOF, I had the same question, but didn't want to offend
> > > the OP by mentioning it. (People who post how long they've been making
> > > something sometimes take such queries as a challenge to their family
> > > honor.) I should have known you'd not only have the chutzpah to ask,
> > > but also be able to do so tactfully...

> > Add me to the "Idunno" list but I can tell you that most of the
> > shortbread recipes I've made contained cornstarch. I suspect it
> > contributes to the velvety, melt-in-your-mouth feel of the finished cookies.

> Huh. Maybe I've been missing that because I don't especially like
> shortbread -- I think it leaves the MOST Alexawful taste in the mouth
> after eating.

I, OTOH, adore the stuff, especially my Mom's recipe, which I've
posted before. It doesn't have cornstarch in it. There may be
something to what Kathleen says about "why", but I'm not willing
to waste good butter, flour, and sugar trying it out... ;-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carla Gilliss wrote:
> This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
> for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
> for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as well.
> This isn't a recipe that can be messed with. IF you feel like being
> creative, it will have be done with the finishing of the cookies. Examples:
> different shapes, candies, nuts, flavoured icing, etc...
>
> Scotch Cookies
>
> 1/2 cup corn starch
>
> 1/2 cup icing sugar
>
> 1 cup all-purpose flour
>
> 3/4 cup butter (softened)
>
> Sift together corn starch, icing sugar and flour with large spoon (NOT
> METAL) thoroughly blend in butter . Work with hands until soft smooth dough
> forms, if necessary refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle. Shape in 1
> inch balls. Place about 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet flatten
> with lightly floured fork or roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into
> shapes with cookie cutters. Decorate with candied cherries, coloured
> sprinkles or nuts if desired. Bake 300 F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until
> edges are lightly browned. Time will vary with size of cookies.

Scotch Cookies!!! I cannot believe that your family are of Scots
descent, though I suppose if you live in America long enough something
gets disconnected. You have my Scots blood boiling - 30 years, forsooth,
people have been making shortbread for centuries. You could at least
make an effort to get the terminology correct.

As it happens, that is not a recipe for shortbread anyway - adding corn
starch, or corn flour as the Scots call it, results in something called
"melting moments". If you add custard powder you get "yo-yos".
*Shortbread* is not a cookie, nor a biscuit, it is just shortbread. And
Scotch is something that comes in a bottle.

Traditional shortbread may include rice flour, my mother never used it
and I don't care for it. But decorating with coloured sprinkles or icing
is an abomination.

There are two traditional shapes. You can make it in fingers, which are
called shortbread fingers. Or you can shape it into a round. it is
possible to buy wooden moulds which leave you with an embossed
decoration of a thistle or the like, but I think they're twee. You press
round the edges with a fork, prick it all over with the fork and score
the top into wedges to assist breaking up the finished product - this is
known as petticoat tails. No sprinkles or nuts.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> Add me to the "Idunno" list but I can tell you that most of the
> shortbread recipes I've made contained cornstarch. I suspect it
> contributes to the velvety, melt-in-your-mouth feel of the finished cookies.
>
> Kathleen

I have recipes that use rice flour instead of cornstarch...prbably for
the reasons you suggest ...the "mouth feel" of the finished cookies.

-SD-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> > One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:

> >>Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
> >>Scotland are Scottish. "-)
> >>
> >>Why the cornstarch, do you know? Most of the shortbread recipes I've
> >>looked at are just flour, sugar, and butter, maybe some flavoring. I
> >>found a shortbread recipe from Glasgow that includes cornflour, but only
> >>a small amount in proportion to the sugar, flour, and butter.
> >>
> >>Anyone know what the purpose of the cornstarch is?

> > Not I -- AAMOF, I had the same question, but didn't want to offend
> > the OP by mentioning it. (People who post how long they've been making
> > something sometimes take such queries as a challenge to their family
> > honor.) I should have known you'd not only have the chutzpah to ask,
> > but also be able to do so tactfully...
> >

> Add me to the "Idunno" list but I can tell you that most of the
> shortbread recipes I've made contained cornstarch. I suspect it
> contributes to the velvety, melt-in-your-mouth feel of the finished cookies.
>
> Kathleen

Not that I want to challenge the OP on what is clearly a beloved family
recipe, but I too, was surprised by the inclusion of cornstarch, as I'm
unfamiliar with that ingredient in shortbread. (But if it works, it
works!)

I myself often use a combination of 1 3/4 cup regular flour and 1/4 cup
rice flour. It gives the cookies a very nice, crisp, delicate quality.

Alas, I don't make shortbread all that much, to cut down on butter
consumption. On this point, I absolutely agree with the OP--shortbread
HAS to be made with butter. Don't futz around and pretend you're making
diet cookies with this one. They're an indulgence, enjoy them as
such. =o)

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:

> Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
> Scotland are Scottish. "-)

So the venerable soup known as Scotch Broth is made with booze? I had no
idea!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
<snip petty rant>

Oh Jesus! Do you ever take a shit?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> <snip petty rant>
>
> Oh Jesus! Do you ever take a shit?
>
> -L.

<g> Actually, that's just the sort of detail I think is interesting. (
But I understand those who don't.) It is annoying to hear someone say,
"I'm Scotch"--as though they were a bottle of liquor. Not important in
the great scheme of things, but it matters to some people.

Cheers, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cornstarch is thickning ....or is it ?

it rarely gets cooked , cause intent is to thicken .

How does it taste when cooked ?

CORNBREAD !

I love cornbread /tortillas/corn on cob .

so in 1000's of recipes , did they cornstarch it for appearance(
thick)
or flavor ? They wont or cant tell you !

Next question , what does cornstarch NOT taste good with ?
probably few exceptions .

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Carla Gilliss" > wrote:
>
> > This is another one of my family recipes that my family has been creating
> > for over 30+ years. Please note that NOTHING is allowed to be subsituting
> > for the butter called for in this recipe. They don't turn out half as well.

> > Scotch Cookies

> Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
> Scotland are Scottish. "-)
>
> Why the cornstarch, do you know? Most of the shortbread recipes I've
> looked at are just flour, sugar, and butter, maybe some flavoring. I
> found a shortbread recipe from Glasgow that includes cornflour, but only
> a small amount in proportion to the sugar, flour, and butter.
>
> Anyone know what the purpose of the cornstarch is?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have also tried the scotch cookies made with out cornstarch. I think the
difference (personally, that is) is that the cookies with cornstarch seem
to almost melt in your mouth. They break apart very easily when you eat
them. I usually use an inverted shot glass (This is the only reason that I
have one I don't drink) to cut the perfect 1-1 1/2 inch circle. Just the
right size for little hands.

Carla

> Why the cornstarch, do you know? Most of the shortbread recipes I've
> looked at are just flour, sugar, and butter, maybe some flavoring. I
> found a shortbread recipe from Glasgow that includes cornflour, but only
> a small amount in proportion to the sugar, flour, and butter.
>
> Anyone know what the purpose of the cornstarch is?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> > Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people and things of
> > Scotland are Scottish. "-)

> So the venerable soup known as Scotch Broth is made with booze? I had no
> idea!
>
> Bob

Youbeen hangin' with the wrong crowd. '-)
Got me there, Bob.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terwilliger > wrote:
> > Barb wrote:

> > > Point of order, here, Carla. Scotch is booze. The people
> > > and things of Scotland are Scottish. "-)

> > So the venerable soup known as Scotch Broth is made with
> > booze? [..]

> Youbeen hangin' with the wrong crowd. '-)
> Got me there, Bob.

Scotch Broth (Soup/Stew)
Cooking time 1 to 2 hours

Ingredients
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup turnips, diced
2 medium onions, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
1 leek, diced
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup dried peas; presoaked
salt and pepper
1 quart lamb stock
1 bunch kale or other bitter winter greens, rough chopped

Method
1. Add all the ingredients to the stock.

2. Simmer gently for a couple of hours, making sure that the peas
become mushy and the barley expands and becomes soft and white.

3. If you wish, add a few ounces of kale 10 minutes before the end
of the cooking time. Precheck seasoning before serving.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in
:

> As it happens, that is not a recipe for shortbread anyway - adding
> corn starch, or corn flour as the Scots call it, results in something
> called "melting moments".

Mmmmmm, melting moments..

If you add custard powder you get "yo-yos".

Double mmmmmm - I actually prefer yo-yos to melting moments.

> *Shortbread* is not a cookie, nor a biscuit, it is just shortbread.

Aaah - the best of all. I do love shortbread.

> Traditional shortbread may include rice flour, my mother never used it
> and I don't care for it. But decorating with coloured sprinkles or
> icing is an abomination.

I have always used the rice flour in the recipe I use. Haven't tried it
without - perhaps I will next time. And yes - the most that has ever gone
on to my shortbread is a sprinkle of sugar, and I don't always do that. I
can't imagine putting sprinkles on <g>.

> There are two traditional shapes. You can make it in fingers, which
> are called shortbread fingers. Or you can shape it into a round. it is
> possible to buy wooden moulds which leave you with an embossed
> decoration of a thistle or the like, but I think they're twee. You
> press round the edges with a fork, prick it all over with the fork and
> score the top into wedges to assist breaking up the finished product -
> this is known as petticoat tails. No sprinkles or nuts.

I have a wooden mould, but haven't been able to use it effectively - not
sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll have to try again at Christmas. Fingers
are easier, but for shortbread for entering in Penrith Show it has to be
a round. Received a first for it last year (this year I stuffed it, still
entered it but didn't get anything - knew I wouldn't) but one of the
judge's comments was to watch the shape. I need to practice getting it
nicely round and fluting the edges neatly.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
> Old Mother Ashby > wrote in
> :
>

>> As it happens, that is not a recipe for shortbread anyway - adding
>> corn starch, or corn flour as the Scots call it, results in something
>> called "melting moments".
>>

> Mmmmmm, melting moments..
>
> If you add custard powder you get "yo-yos".
>
> Double mmmmmm - I actually prefer yo-yos to melting moments.
>

>> *Shortbread* is not a cookie, nor a biscuit, it is just shortbread.
>>

> Aaah - the best of all. I do love shortbread.
>

>> Traditional shortbread may include rice flour, my mother never used it
>> and I don't care for it. But decorating with coloured sprinkles or
>> icing is an abomination.
>>

> I have always used the rice flour in the recipe I use. Haven't tried it
> without - perhaps I will next time. And yes - the most that has ever gone
> on to my shortbread is a sprinkle of sugar, and I don't always do that. I
> can't imagine putting sprinkles on <g>.
>
>> There are two traditional shapes. You can make it in fingers, which
>> are called shortbread fingers. Or you can shape it into a round. it is
>> possible to buy wooden moulds which leave you with an embossed
>> decoration of a thistle or the like, but I think they're twee. You
>> press round the edges with a fork, prick it all over with the fork and
>> score the top into wedges to assist breaking up the finished product -
>> this is known as petticoat tails. No sprinkles or nuts.
>>

> I have a wooden mould, but haven't been able to use it effectively - not
> sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll have to try again at Christmas. Fingers
> are easier, but for shortbread for entering in Penrith Show it has to be
> a round. Received a first for it last year (this year I stuffed it, still
> entered it but didn't get anything - knew I wouldn't) but one of the
> judge's comments was to watch the shape. I need to practice getting it
> nicely round and fluting the edges neatly.

"Received a first" she says modestly. I am impressed!

This seems to have been another rfc terminological wrangle. Carla gave
what appears to be a perfectly good recipe for melting moments, but she
made the mistake of describing them as shortbread. One can only assume
she's never tried making the real thing.

And along the way we've got a soup recipe!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> <snip petty rant>
>
> Oh Jesus! Do you ever take a shit?
>
> -L.

Up your nose with a rubber hose, my dear. I'm sorry if you're not
interested in baking, but if you can't stand the heat, bugger off out of
the kitchen and wash your mouth out.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in
:

> Rhonda Anderson wrote:

>> I have a wooden mould, but haven't been able to use it effectively -
>> not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll have to try again at Christmas.
>> Fingers are easier, but for shortbread for entering in Penrith Show
>> it has to be a round. Received a first for it last year (this year I
>> stuffed it, still entered it but didn't get anything - knew I
>> wouldn't) but one of the judge's comments was to watch the shape. I
>> need to practice getting it nicely round and fluting the edges
>> neatly.
>>

> "Received a first" she says modestly. I am impressed!

Don't be <g>. Penrith Show may have been going for a hundred and sixty
odd years, but it's become a fairly small show and there's not a huge
amount of competition. Now, if I get up the courage to enter something in
Sydney Royal and win something,then you should be impressed :-)

> This seems to have been another rfc terminological wrangle. Carla gave
> what appears to be a perfectly good recipe for melting moments, but
> she made the mistake of describing them as shortbread. One can only
> assume she's never tried making the real thing.
>
> And along the way we've got a soup recipe!

Must have missed that post - I'll have to go look.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> Scotch Broth (Soup/Stew)
> Cooking time 1 to 2 hours
>
> Ingredients
> 1/2 cup carrots, diced
> 1/2 cup turnips, diced
> 2 medium onions, diced
> 2 sticks celery, diced
> 1 leek, diced
> 1/4 cup pearl barley
> 1/4 cup dried peas; presoaked
> salt and pepper
> 1 quart lamb stock
> 1 bunch kale or other bitter winter greens, rough chopped
>
> Method
> 1. Add all the ingredients to the stock.
>
> 2. Simmer gently for a couple of hours, making sure that the peas
> become mushy and the barley expands and becomes soft and white.
>
> 3. If you wish, add a few ounces of kale 10 minutes before the end
> of the cooking time. Precheck seasoning before serving.

Damn! I wish I'd had that recipe at the beginning of the summer when I was
getting a bunch of turnips and kale every week, and I didn't know what to do
with them! I'd have this sitting in the freezer, just waiting for winter...

Thanks for the recipe!

Bob