Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Still Too Warm...

....or no one is growing winter squash down here. I went to the farmer's
market at the Agricenter in Germantown, TN in hopes of finding some acorn,
butternut or buttercup squash. No dice. Heck, they're still selling
watermelon and yellow summer squash!

I did pick up a decorative pumpkin and a nice yellow & white striped gourd
to set out by the front door as the start of a harvest/fall display. I love
this time of year

I guess if I want winter squash for eating I'll have to break down and go to
the grocery store. I was really craving acorn squash: split, seeded,
buttered, a little salt & pepper and baked like a potato for about an hour.
YUM!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> ...or no one is growing winter squash down here. I went to the farmer's
> market at the Agricenter in Germantown, TN in hopes of finding some acorn,
> butternut or buttercup squash. No dice. Heck, they're still selling
> watermelon and yellow summer squash!

It makes sense for them to leave the squash in place as long as possible,
provided the plants have not begun the shrivelling thing that some members
of the squash family are prone to. Bigger squash, more pounds, more money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> ...or no one is growing winter squash down here. I went to the farmer's
> market at the Agricenter in Germantown, TN in hopes of finding some acorn,
> butternut or buttercup squash. No dice. Heck, they're still selling
> watermelon and yellow summer squash!

Here in Ohio they have been out a few weeks. I'd guess your wait will
not be long.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dean G. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> ...or no one is growing winter squash down here. I went to the
>> farmer's market at the Agricenter in Germantown, TN in hopes of
>> finding some acorn, butternut or buttercup squash. No dice. Heck,
>> they're still selling watermelon and yellow summer squash!

> Here in Ohio they have been out a few weeks. I'd guess your wait will
> not be long.
>
> Dean G.

Unfortunately, this chuckle-head farmer's market shuts down for the year on
10/31 despite the longer growing season in the mid-south. If the squash
isn't in by then, I'm still stuck with the grocery store

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Dean G. wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> ...or no one is growing winter squash down here. I went to the
>>> farmer's market at the Agricenter in Germantown, TN in hopes of
>>> finding some acorn, butternut or buttercup squash. No dice. Heck,
>>> they're still selling watermelon and yellow summer squash!

>> Here in Ohio they have been out a few weeks. I'd guess your wait will
>> not be long.
>>
>> Dean G.

> Unfortunately, this chuckle-head farmer's market shuts down for the year
> on
> 10/31 despite the longer growing season in the mid-south. If the squash
> isn't in by then, I'm still stuck with the grocery store
>
> Jill

I suppose it might be possible to ask some of the vendors when winter squash
will be harvested. They know the deadline. I'm sure they'd like to sell some
before that date.

Warm Grapefruit Tea Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2008 01:38 AM
a warm gift 001 General Cooking 2 15-10-2007 11:27 PM
warm sushi Howard Johnson Sushi 8 25-12-2006 05:55 AM
Which of the following do you think would be best warm? Alex Rast Chocolate 11 23-04-2004 08:04 AM