Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default National Food Uniformity Bill. Will Monsanto assure me healthy food?

The House of Representatives has passed a controversial "national food
uniformity" labeling law that would take away local government and
states' power to require food safety food labels such as those required
in California and other states on foods or beverages that are likely to
cause cancer, birth defects, allergic reactions, or mercury poisoning.
This bill would also prevent citizens in local municipalities and
states from passing laws requiring that genetically engineered foods
and ingredients such as Monsanto's recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone
(rBGH) be labeled.

Soon, the Senate will vote on this bill, which would gut state food
safety and labeling laws. The "National Uniformity for Food Act,"
lowers the bar on food safety by overturning state food safety laws
that are not "identical" to federal law. Hundreds of state laws and
regulations are at risk, including those governing the safety of milk,
fish, and shellfish. The bill is being pushed by large supermarket
chains and food manufacturers, spearheaded by the powerful Grocery
Manufacturers of America.

Big food corporations and the biotech industry understand that
consumers are more and more concerned about food safety, genetic
engineering, and chemical-intensive agriculture, and are reading labels
more closely. They understand that pesticide and mercury residues and
hazardous technologies such as genetic engineering and food irradiation
will be rejected if there are truthful labels required on food
products. This industry-sponsored bill is gaining momentum and must be
stopped! Act now! Preserve local and regional democracy and protect
yourself and your family from unsafe food by sending an email or
calling your Senator.

Learn more and take action he
http://www.organicconsumers.org/rd/labeling.cfm

Take action now at
http://www.democracyinaction.org/oca...gn_KEY=2752&t=

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Most big corporations welcome the federal government's involvement on
food labeling. This would provide a way to get the labels to read just
how they want them to. Big corporations will spend the money to get the
labels to only show the items that would promote the sales.

Some argue that federal regulation would force all labels to provide
the exact contents and nutrition facts of all products and the American
public would get standarized acurate information. However, politics
would get in the way.

Corporations own the world and this would give them another avenue to
promote sales. Corporations pay big bucks to private marketing
companies to promote the company's image of being a safe, secure, and
consumer friendly business.

Monsanto wants the monopoly on the world's seed production. They are
pushing their pesticide ready seeds down the world's throat. They are
buying up all the small companies and forcing other out with lawsuits.
They seem to think that poison is good for you. Beware!!

Check out articles about this on:
www.ens-newswire.com/