Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spinach substitutes

During this our hour of dire deprivation, what are
we to do for shiny, rubbery leafy greens?

Kale?
Collards?

I say there is one agricultural niche that has been
handed the ball and given a gigantic hole just off-tackle.
I am speaking of none other than:

Kudzu

As we know (for Alton Brown hath spaketh it into a digicam
and we buyeth everything he selleth) the Kudzu plant is
nearly or actually or vegetably 100% edible, and may be
tasty and nutritious besides.

Personally, I hope these guys get their windfall together
and we start seeing bags of pre-washed Kudzu on the
shelves so the world economy can get back on track
and Popeye can be properly 'shopped to show the new
world an old botanical castoff in a favorable light.

--Blair
"I bet it rocks the balsamic."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was one of those people who used a lot of baby spinach in my tossed
green salads. I've switched to baby arugula. And, I've discovered, I
actually like it better.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Beet tops rule.

http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol07/issue4/beets

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Beet tops rule.
>
> http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol07/issue4/beets

Yes, yes, yes! I had never tried any beet tops before this beginning
of summer, and only did because of another's tell. At the local
Farmers Market while playfully (though half serious) fighting another
shopper over the beet bunches, he challenged me by saying I could have
my choice only if I gave him the tops. His pal entered our play spat
by warning me that steamed beet tops could very well replace spinach in
my life forever. Since that day I not only pick my beets carefully,
the tops I'll enjoy are examined well also.

....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

PickyJaz wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Beet tops rule.
> >
> > http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol07/issue4/beets

> Yes, yes, yes! I had never tried any beet tops before this beginning
> of summer, and only did because of another's tell. At the local
> Farmers Market while playfully (though half serious) fighting another
> shopper over the beet bunches, he challenged me by saying I could have
> my choice only if I gave him the tops. His pal entered our play spat
> by warning me that steamed beet tops could very well replace spinach in
> my life forever. Since that day I not only pick my beets carefully,
> the tops I'll enjoy are examined well also.

If you get the opportunity, try beet tops from golden beets. We grow
them and think they're even better -- more tender, lighter -- than the
red beet tops. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> PickyJaz wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > > Beet tops rule.

> If you get the opportunity, try beet tops from golden beets. We grow
> them and think they're even better -- more tender, lighter -- than the
> red beet tops.

Thank you for the tell. Along with mu usual haul I will see to getting
the goldens on Saturday!
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You would not have to find a substitute for spinach if the idiots that pick
the stuff would stop having a dump in the fields. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR
SPINACH!!!!

Farmer John