Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black beans are calling!!

I've literally been drooling over that darn black bean can *all* day. I've
been thinking about what I can do with those tasty things and I've decided
it's either going to be rice, bean and cheese tacos; rice, bean and cheese
tostadas; or rice, bean and cheese, taquitos.

I've got the rice on the stove cooking in water and Mexican seasonings.
(Yes, I use the "real" rice - boil, simmer for 20, let sit 10.) It's
smelling really, really good! When the rice is done, I'm going to add
finely chopped, sauteed onion and garlic.

Now, here's the hard part. Do I stuff the corn tortillas, roll and fry? Do
I fold them and fry to make a crispy taco shell? Or, should I fry the
tortillas flat? (Keep in mind these are kind of old tortillas - they
crumble if not fried.)

I've got sauce, sour cream, lettuce, cheese and black olives to work with.
Decisions, decisions!

kili <----- already salivating over dinner and I don't know what I'm really
making yet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Now, here's the hard part. Do I stuff the corn tortillas, roll and fry? Do
> I fold them and fry to make a crispy taco shell? Or, should I fry the
> tortillas flat? (Keep in mind these are kind of old tortillas - they
> crumble if not fried.)

I always pass corn tortillas through hot oil before doing anything else.
By pass, I mean throw them in, flip them over, pull them out all as fast
as you can. It makes even old ones pliable. Then you can fold them
perfectly if you wish for a second serious fry cycle in the hot oil. Or
you can roll them easily for enchiladas. Or do taquitos. But that first
quick hot oil immersion makes all the rest much easier.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>

> > Now, here's the hard part. Do I stuff the corn tortillas, roll and fry? Do
> > I fold them and fry to make a crispy taco shell? Or, should I fry the
> > tortillas flat? (Keep in mind these are kind of old tortillas - they
> > crumble if not fried.)

> I always pass corn tortillas through hot oil before doing anything else.
> By pass, I mean throw them in, flip them over, pull them out all as fast
> as you can. It makes even old ones pliable. Then you can fold them
> perfectly if you wish for a second serious fry cycle in the hot oil. Or
> you can roll them easily for enchiladas. Or do taquitos. But that first
> quick hot oil immersion makes all the rest much easier.

Tortillas are fat free... your method just adds fat calories and is too
much like work/clean up. To make tortillas hot and pliable the easy
way wrap a small stack in a clean damp tea towel and microwave on high
about a minute... and kept wrapped they stay warm throughout the meal.

Sheldon Senor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
.. .
> I've literally been drooling over that darn black bean can *all* day.

What did you put in the beans? I think I would simmer with a bit of garlic
and cumin. And, for burritos or tacos I love them soft and pasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > I've literally been drooling over that darn black bean can *all* day.

> What did you put in the beans? I think I would simmer with a bit of garlic
> and cumin. And, for burritos or tacos I love them soft and pasty.

I ended up steaming the tortillas, the beans had garlic, cumin, corriander,
onion and the rice had garlic and Mexican spices. Tasty! One taco did me
in.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote:

> I ended up steaming the tortillas, the beans had garlic, cumin,
> corriander,
> onion and the rice had garlic and Mexican spices. Tasty! One taco did me
> in.

Good stuff!

I made a pot of black beans a couple of days ago, and I have been
eating them rolled in whole wheat tortillas with hot chunky salsa,
melted shredded cheddar, and a little sour cream to dip the bites
in. Like you, one fills me right up. Cheap and so nutritious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "kilikini" > wrote:
> >>

> > I ended up steaming the tortillas, the beans had garlic, cumin,
> > corriander,
> > onion and the rice had garlic and Mexican spices. Tasty! One taco did

me
> > in.
> >

> Good stuff!
>
> I made a pot of black beans a couple of days ago, and I have been
> eating them rolled in whole wheat tortillas with hot chunky salsa,
> melted shredded cheddar, and a little sour cream to dip the bites
> in. Like you, one fills me right up. Cheap and so nutritious.

Yes, it's so good; I can untactfully say that I'm burping some nice flavors
right now. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Tortillas are fat free... your method just adds fat calories and is too
> much like work/clean up. To make tortillas hot and pliable the easy
> way wrap a small stack in a clean damp tea towel and microwave on high
> about a minute... and kept wrapped they stay warm throughout the meal.

I happen to have some old corn tortillas and just tried your method. It
worked fine with a stack of five. They were fairly flexible and surely
low cal compared to my method. The tortillas tasted a bit raw to me.
I'll save the method for future reference though. Thanks.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "kilikini" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > I've literally been drooling over that darn black bean can *all* day.

> > What did you put in the beans? I think I would simmer with a bit of garlic
> > and cumin. And, for burritos or tacos I love them soft and pasty.
> >

> I ended up steaming the tortillas, the beans had garlic, cumin, corriander,
> onion and the rice had garlic and Mexican spices. Tasty! One taco did me
> in.

No guacamole, no sour cream, no tequilla!

Sheldon Carrumba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> kilikini wrote:
> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "kilikini" > wrote in message
> > > .. .

day.

> > > What did you put in the beans? I think I would simmer with a bit of

garlic
> > > and cumin. And, for burritos or tacos I love them soft and pasty.
> > >

> > I ended up steaming the tortillas, the beans had garlic, cumin,

corriander,
> > onion and the rice had garlic and Mexican spices. Tasty! One taco did

me
> > in.

> No guacamole, no sour cream, no tequilla!
>
> Sheldon Carrumba

I had no avocado, I used sour cream and I don't have tequila. I did the
best I could with what I had and it was wonderful.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini > wrote:
>I've literally been drooling over that darn black bean can *all* day. I've
>been thinking about what I can do with those tasty things and I've decided
>it's either going to be rice, bean and cheese tacos; rice, bean and cheese
>tostadas; or rice, bean and cheese, taquitos.

You don't have three tortillas?

If you do, I have only two words for you:

COMBO PLATTER!

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on 25 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Yes, it's so good; I can untactfully say that I'm burping some nice
> flavors right now. :~)
>
> kili

Just as long as it is burping...Farting is just so unlady like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> kilikini > wrote:
> >I've literally been drooling over that darn black bean can *all* day.

I've
> >been thinking about what I can do with those tasty things and I've

decided
> >it's either going to be rice, bean and cheese tacos; rice, bean and

cheese
> >tostadas; or rice, bean and cheese, taquitos.

> You don't have three tortillas?
>
> If you do, I have only two words for you:
>
> COMBO PLATTER!
>
> --Blair

I can't eat that much! I'm a one taco kind of gal.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>> Tortillas are fat free... your method just adds fat calories and is
>> too much like work/clean up. To make tortillas hot and pliable the
>> easy way wrap a small stack in a clean damp tea towel and microwave
>> on high about a minute... and kept wrapped they stay warm throughout
>> the meal.

> I happen to have some old corn tortillas and just tried your method.
> It worked fine with a stack of five. They were fairly flexible and
> surely low cal compared to my method. The tortillas tasted a bit raw
> to me. I'll save the method for future reference though. Thanks.
>
> leo

I, too, use Sheldon's method. As for them tasting a bit raw, I never
noticed. However if you're going to further cook them (aka "fried" tacos or
taquitos or baked as enchiladas) it really shouldn't make a difference.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:
>Tortillas are fat free...

You are a total idiot.

Flour tortillas are made with added fat, and flour contains fat.

Corn tortillas are made without added fat, but corn contains fat.

>your method just adds fat calories and is too
>much like work/clean up. To make tortillas hot and pliable the easy
>way wrap a small stack in a clean damp tea towel and microwave on high

Mmm...steamed gluten. Just like mamacita used to make.

>about a minute... and kept wrapped they stay warm throughout the meal.

Next time you do that, climb in with them. You'll
stay warm throughout the meal.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2006 01:41:48 +0200, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..
>> I've literally been drooling over that darn black bean can *all* day.

>What did you put in the beans? I think I would simmer with a bit of garlic
>and cumin.

Cumin is yucky. Yes, yes, I know it's all subjective, but I say
subjectively that cumin is yucky. :-)

Hi, all.

ObFood: I got pecan cinnamon rolls in the oven, made from some extra
scratch I had lying around.

serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

black beans fignewton Mexican Cooking 2 21-10-2013 11:44 AM
Canned Black Beans kilikini General Cooking 62 09-10-2006 05:42 PM
Boiled Black Beans Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 14 05-09-2006 03:00 AM
Black Beans - Cuban Black Bean Soup Langerhans Diabetic 0 10-07-2005 09:04 PM
Black soy beans Katra General Cooking 13 03-06-2005 10:13 AM