Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.ice-cream

Default brown sugar gelato

I got a Donvier ice cream maker about 2 years ago and I've never been quite
satisfied with my frozen dessert results until today. This is good crap! The
brown sugar gives it depth (I used light brown) and it's got a nice smooth
consistency. The only thing I might do is add one more egg yolk for extra
super decadence... Cross-posted to alt.food.ice-cream 'cause they don't get
enough love over there.

INGREDIENTS
4 Cups Light Cream
3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
3 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract

METHOD
Scald the cream in a saucepan. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
Gradually whisk in the hot cream. Return mixture to the saucepan and stir
over medium heat until custard thickens and leave a path on the back of the
spoon when you draw your dinger across. Do not let the mixture boil. Remove
from heat and stir in the vanilla. Strain mixture in a large bowl, cover and
refrigerate. Transfer the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until
the gelato is ready.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.ice-cream

Whoops, forgot to give credit for my resource on the gelato recipe below (I
changed it but still...)
http://www.cascadiarestaurant.com/html/ch_2_0a.1.htm

"rox formerly rmg" > wrote in message
>I got a Donvier ice cream maker about 2 years ago and I've never been quite
>satisfied with my frozen dessert results until today. This is good crap!
>The brown sugar gives it depth (I used light brown) and it's got a nice
>smooth consistency. The only thing I might do is add one more egg yolk for
>extra super decadence... Cross-posted to alt.food.ice-cream 'cause they
>don't get enough love over there.
>
> INGREDIENTS
> 4 Cups Light Cream
> 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
> 3 Egg Yolks
> 1 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
>
> METHOD
> Scald the cream in a saucepan. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
> Gradually whisk in the hot cream. Return mixture to the saucepan and stir
> over medium heat until custard thickens and leave a path on the back of
> the spoon when you draw your finger across. Do not let the mixture boil.
> Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Strain mixture in a large bowl,
> cover and refrigerate. Transfer the mixture into an ice cream machine and
> churn until the gelato is ready.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.ice-cream

rox formerly rmg wrote:

> I got a Donvier ice cream maker about 2 years ago and I've never been
> quite satisfied with my frozen dessert results until today. This is good
> crap! The brown sugar gives it depth (I used light brown) and it's got a
> nice smooth consistency. The only thing I might do is add one more egg
> yolk for extra super decadence... Cross-posted to alt.food.ice-cream
> 'cause they don't get enough love over there.
>
> INGREDIENTS
> 4 Cups Light Cream
> 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
> 3 Egg Yolks
> 1 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
>
> METHOD
> Scald the cream in a saucepan. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
> Gradually whisk in the hot cream. Return mixture to the saucepan and stir
> over medium heat until custard thickens and leave a path on the back of
> the spoon when you draw your dinger across. Do not let the mixture boil.
> Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Strain mixture in a large bowl,
> cover and refrigerate. Transfer the mixture into an ice cream machine and
> churn until the gelato is ready.

Wow, that *is* decadent, especially with a fourth egg yolk! I'll have to
give it a try sometime. Do you think it would go well with pumpkin pie? Or
sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies (with or without raisins or chocolate
chips)?

.........drifting in a gelato reverie..........

Thanks, rox!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.ice-cream

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> rox formerly rmg wrote:
>
>> I've never been
>> quite satisfied with my frozen dessert results until today. This is good
>> crap!

...........snip..........

> Wow, that *is* decadent, especially with a fourth egg yolk! I'll have to
> give it a try sometime. Do you think it would go well with pumpkin pie? Or
> sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies (with or without raisins or
> chocolate
> chips)?

Glad it piques your interest Bob! I think it would be incredible between 2
oatmeal cookies!! Or how about making it with dark brown sugar and mixing
some oatmeal cookies in...?

It pretty much acts like vanilla ice cream, but the color (with light brown
sugar) is a little yellower/darker, and it has a zestier flavor. Dark brown
sugar is for sure our next try.

Also, some gelato recipes on the internet have no egg yolk and use corn
starch. I've tried both corn starch and xanthan gum, and I didin't like the
consistency produced by either one. I had all but given up on homemade ice
cream because there's so much in stores which is just as good quality and @
same price, but this stuff has rejeuvenated my enthusiasm. It would make a
good base for all kinds of experiments. (Amarena cherries, rum and currants,
oatmeal cookies anyone??).

cheers, rox

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.ice-cream

"rox formerly rmg" > wrote in
:

[snip]
> the back of the spoon when you draw your dinger across. Do not let the

[snip]

Ok, I know the recipe calls for using your dinger, but mine is so sensitive
to heat, I just use my finger instead.

ScottR

Why do I see BROWN SUGAR Robert of St Louis Diabetic 10 31-05-2009 06:47 PM
REC: Brown Sugar Brownies Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 9 20-09-2008 07:54 PM
Brown Sugar Drops Toni[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-01-2008 09:22 PM
Brown sugar cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:09 PM
Sweet N Lo brown sugar OldProfessor General Cooking 1 24-03-2005 10:38 PM