Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Faking the South of France

Looking around my kitchen before work, I realized that I had all the
ingredients necessary for ratatouille. I also had some purple string beans
which were getting a bit aged in my refrigerator.

I started out by cutting three spicy Italian sausages into 1-inch lengths.
(I know it's not a traditional part of ratatouille, but I like it.) I didn't
remove the casings because I wanted the sausage to retain some of its shape.
That went into a saucier and started cooking over medium heat. I didn't need
to add any fat; the fat that rendered out of the sausage was sufficient.
Once a bit of the fat had rendered out, I added a chopped onion, a chopped
red bell pepper, and a chopped yellow bell pepper. I let them cook for a
while, then added an eggplant and a zucchini, both of which had been left in
fairly large chunks. I salted the mixture and added a fair sprinkling of
herbes de Provence. I covered the saucier and let the mixture simmer for
about fifteen minutes. Then I remembered that I had some mushrooms which
needed to be used up, so I cut them into big chunks and added them. Covered
the pan again and simmered for another eight or nine minutes.

During the cooking of the sausage-vegetable mixture (which I don't think
qualifies as ratatouille anymore), I put a big handful of new potatoes on to
boil in salted water. They cooked for ten minutes while I cleaned and cut a
big handful of purple string beans. (I should have put a couple eggs in the
water too, but I forgot.) The string beans went into the water with the
potatoes, and they cooked together for about seven or eight minutes. After
that, I dumped them into a colander, then immediately into an ice water
bath. They sat in the ice water for a couple minutes to cool down, then I
lifted the ice out and dumped the vegetables into the colander again. The
bowl which had previously held the ice water was used as a mixing bowl for
the vegetables, to which I added a pouch of tuna and a jar of marinated
artichoke hearts, making a kind of *******ized (and much abbreviated)
Niçoise salad. That all went into a big Gladware container.

Once I had the faux-Niçoise salad completed, I generously sprinkled the
sausage-vegetable stew with finely-grated Parmesano-Reggiano cheese, then
ladled out enough to mostly-fill a 4-cup container. I rounded out my meal
with a ciabatta roll and an apple. (I don't know what variety of apple I got
in my CSA box this week, but they're FANTASTIC for eating out of hand.
Nicely sour, crunchy, and juicy -- and I'm not normally a big fan of
apples.)

Bob
NOTE: Ratatouille normally has garlic in it. I considered adding garlic to
the sausage-ratatouille stuff, but I didn't have enough time to cook it long
enough for the garlic to mellow, so I left it out. It would have made a good
and traditional addition.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:56:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
>should i be looking for?

May I go with you?
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> should i be looking for?

Bouillabaisse! The fish chowder of the Mediterranean gods. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> [snips]
> I generously sprinkled the
> sausage-vegetable stew with finely-grated Parmesano-Reggiano cheese, [snip]

I was enthusiastically with you right up to here. No way would I mask
all those great veggie flavors with cheese. De gustibus ..., and all
that. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Sep 2006 18:05:26 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
>> should i be looking for?

>Bouillabaisse! The fish chowder of the Mediterranean gods. -aem

Bourride, another awesome fish soup, with aoili a part of it. Also
try aoili, but be aware that it has a LOT of garlic. Of course, most
things do down in that region.

Christine, who is checking out all her cookbooks from Provence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 27 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
> Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> should i be looking for?

My guess would be French food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:56:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
>should i be looking for?

You should be looking for enough food to feed me too because I'll be
hiding in a small carry on. ) Have fun!

No joke, take your chances... go to local mid priced restaurants and
look at menus to see what appeals - you won't be sorry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:32:25 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote on 27 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> In article >,
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>>
>> Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
>> should i be looking for?

>My guess would be French food.

You must be a seasoned international traveler, Mr. Incognito!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:50:18 -0700, sf
> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:56:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>>
>>Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
>>should i be looking for?

>No joke, take your chances... go to local mid priced restaurants and
>look at menus to see what appeals - you won't be sorry.

Get The Food Lovers Guide to France, by Patricia Wells...she is a
wealth of information.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
> Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> should i be looking for?

Bread. Bring your jam. I'll bet you can charm the village with a few
jars of the stuff.

Greg Zywicki

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> "Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
> >
> > Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> > should i be looking for?

> My guess would be French food.

Actually these days it's mostly muslim coozine.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> should i be looking for?

Bouillabaisse, bourride (creamy garlic fish soup), daube à la provençale
(beef stew), estouffade à la provençale (lamb stew), pot-au-feu à la
marseillaise, les pieds-paquets à la marseillaise (mutton tripe and
feet), mesclun (mixed salad), tapénade (olive paste with capers).

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Zywicki" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
> >
> > Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> > should i be looking for?
> >

> Bread. Bring your jam. I'll bet you can charm the village with a few
> jars of the stuff.
>
> Greg Zywicki

Heh! The TSA will probably view it with a jaundiced eye!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> > should i be looking for?

> Bouillabaisse! The fish chowder of the Mediterranean gods. -aem

Ohyeah!! I love it!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:56:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
> >
> >Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
> >should i be looking for?

> May I go with you?

Sure. Having a roommate will reduce my cost considerably! The upcharge
for a single room is something about $1200.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:49:53 +0200, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >You have my sympathy, especially considering that Marseille is not
> >really worth a visit any more, Vieux Port perhaps excepting.

> Out of curiosity, why is this so, in your opinion? I've not been
> there, but we are planning a trip to France in '08 and plan to spend
> some time in the south.

Depends on where you actually want to go... to France or to a noxious
version of Maghreb... Unfortunately, Marseille can no longer be
considered a true French or Provençal city. It is full of North-African
Arab underclass of a particularly unsavoury kind. It is disgustingly
filthy and teeming with beggars, prostitutes, drug dealers and such. It
is a high-crime area and unaccompanied women are liable to get molested
or at the very least hear some lewd comments on a regular basis.

ObFood: Bourride. The recipe is from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia
Wells.

Victor

La Bourride de Baudroie Restaurant Lou Marquès
Restaurant Lou Marquès' Monkfish Soup with Garlic Cream

1 pound (500 g) baking potatoes, such as russets, peeled and very thinly
sliced
1 leek (white part only), trimmed, well rinsed, and cut into rounds
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into rounds
1 garlic clove, finely minced
Grated zest (peel) of 2 oranges
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
3 imported bay leaves
2 quarts (2 l) fish stock (see below) or water
1 cup (25 cl) dry white wine, such as Cassis
2 pounds (1 kg) very fresh monkfish, membrane removed and cut crosswise
into 1/2-inch (1.5 cm) slices
1 recipe aïoli (recipe follows)
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup crème fraîche (6 cl) or heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 to 12 slices country bread, for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to warm (about 210°F; 100°C). Place a large soup
tureen and 4 to 6 shallow soup bowls in the oven to warm.

2. In a large, heavy-bottomed nonreactive saucepan, combine the
potatoes, leek, carrot, garlic, orange zest, fennel, bay leaves, stock,
and wine. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to
medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, 12 to 15
minutes. Add the monkfish and cook, skimming frequently, until the fish
is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.

3. Meanwhile, in a medium-size bowl, combine 3/4 cup (18 cl) of the
aïoli with the egg yolk and crème fraîche; whisk to blend. Gradually
stir 1/2 cup (12.5 cl) of the hot soup broth into the aïoli mixture.
Over low heat, add the aïoli mixture to the soup. Cook, whisking to
thicken slightly, for 1 or 2 minutes; do not let the soup boil. Season
to taste with the salt and pepper.

4. Toast the bread.

5. To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls, making sure everyone
gets some of the fish and an assortment of vegetables. Pass the
remaining aïoli and toasted bread separately.

Yield: 6 servings

Aïoli
Garlic Mayonnaise

6 large fresh garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1 cup (25 cl) extra-virgin olive oil

1. Peel and cut the garlic in half, then remove the green, sprout-like
"germ" that runs lengthwise through the center of the garlic.

2. Pour boiling water into a large mortar to warm it; discard the water
and dry the mortar. Place the garlic and salt into the mortar and mash
together evenly with a pestle to form a paste.

3. Add 1 egg yolk. Stir, pressing slowly and evenly with the pestle,
always in the same direction, to thoroughly blend the garlic and yolk.
Add the second yolk and repeat until well blended.

4. Very slowly work in the oil, drop by drop, until the mixture
thickens. Gradually, whisk in the remaining oil in a slow, thin stream
until the sauce is thickened to a mayonnaise consistency.

Yield: About 1 cup (25 cl)

Fumet de Poisson
Fish Stock

5 pounds (2.5 kg) non-oily fish bones, heads, and trimmings (gills
removed), well rinsed and cut up
2 onions, chopped
3 ounces (90 g) fresh mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
Bouquet garni: 12 parsley stems, 8 peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4
teaspoon fennel seeds, and 1 imported bay leaf tied in a double
thickness of cheesecloth
2 cups (50 cl) dry white wine
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. In a large nonreactive stockpot, combine all the ingredients and add
2 quarts (2 l) of cold water. Bring to a simmer, skimming frequently.
Simmer, uncovered, skimming frequently, for 30 minutes.

2. Line a colander with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth and
place the colander over a large bowl. Ladle the stock into the
colander; discard the solids. Measure the fish stock and, if necessary,
boil until it is reduced to 4 cups (1 l).

Yield: 1 quart (1 l)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Depends on where you actually want to go... to France or to a noxious
> version of Maghreb...It is disgustingly
> filthy and teeming with beggars, prostitutes, drug dealers and such. It
> is a high-crime area and unaccompanied women are liable to get molested
> or at the very least hear some lewd comments on a regular basis.

So it's more like France a century or two ago? According to some
literature.

Greg Zywicki
Or, supposedly, Italy twenty or so years ago.

South of France Bill S. Wine 0 23-05-2011 05:53 PM
WTN: 8 wines from the south of France DaleW Wine 0 18-12-2010 07:49 PM
TN: Lambrusco, SW (?) France, South Africa DaleW Wine 2 10-07-2008 04:23 PM
TN: South of France on a pretty NY night DaleW Wine 0 19-04-2008 06:37 PM
property on sale in south France arnaud Winemaking 0 12-02-2005 02:09 PM