Old 25-09-2006, 06:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Faking the South of France

Looking around my kitchen before work, I realized that I had all the
ingredients necessary for ratatouille. I also had some purple string beans
which were getting a bit aged in my refrigerator.

I started out by cutting three spicy Italian sausages into 1-inch lengths.
(I know it's not a traditional part of ratatouille, but I like it.) I didn't
remove the casings because I wanted the sausage to retain some of its shape.
That went into a saucier and started cooking over medium heat. I didn't need
to add any fat; the fat that rendered out of the sausage was sufficient.
Once a bit of the fat had rendered out, I added a chopped onion, a chopped
red bell pepper, and a chopped yellow bell pepper. I let them cook for a
while, then added an eggplant and a zucchini, both of which had been left in
fairly large chunks. I salted the mixture and added a fair sprinkling of
herbes de Provence. I covered the saucier and let the mixture simmer for
about fifteen minutes. Then I remembered that I had some mushrooms which
needed to be used up, so I cut them into big chunks and added them. Covered
the pan again and simmered for another eight or nine minutes.

During the cooking of the sausage-vegetable mixture (which I don't think
qualifies as ratatouille anymore), I put a big handful of new potatoes on to
boil in salted water. They cooked for ten minutes while I cleaned and cut a
big handful of purple string beans. (I should have put a couple eggs in the
water too, but I forgot.) The string beans went into the water with the
potatoes, and they cooked together for about seven or eight minutes. After
that, I dumped them into a colander, then immediately into an ice water
bath. They sat in the ice water for a couple minutes to cool down, then I
lifted the ice out and dumped the vegetables into the colander again. The
bowl which had previously held the ice water was used as a mixing bowl for
the vegetables, to which I added a pouch of tuna and a jar of marinated
artichoke hearts, making a kind of *******ized (and much abbreviated)
Niçoise salad. That all went into a big Gladware container.

Once I had the faux-Niçoise salad completed, I generously sprinkled the
sausage-vegetable stew with finely-grated Parmesano-Reggiano cheese, then
ladled out enough to mostly-fill a 4-cup container. I rounded out my meal
with a ciabatta roll and an apple. (I don't know what variety of apple I got
in my CSA box this week, but they're FANTASTIC for eating out of hand.
Nicely sour, crunchy, and juicy -- and I'm not normally a big fan of
apples.)

Bob
NOTE: Ratatouille normally has garlic in it. I considered adding garlic to
the sausage-ratatouille stuff, but I didn't have enough time to cook it long
enough for the garlic to mellow, so I left it out. It would have made a good
and traditional addition.

Old 27-09-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Old 28-09-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:56:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

May I go with you?
--
Susan N.

Old 28-09-2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

Bouillabaisse! The fish chowder of the Mediterranean gods. -aem

Old 28-09-2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
[snips]
I generously sprinkled the
sausage-vegetable stew with finely-grated Parmesano-Reggiano cheese, [snip]

I was enthusiastically with you right up to here. No way would I mask
all those great veggie flavors with cheese. De gustibus ..., and all
that. -aem

Old 28-09-2006, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Sep 2006 18:05:26 -0700, "aem" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

Bouillabaisse! The fish chowder of the Mediterranean gods. -aem

Bourride, another awesome fish soup, with aoili a part of it. Also
try aoili, but be aware that it has a LOT of garlic. Of course, most
things do down in that region.

Christine, who is checking out all her cookbooks from Provence.
Old 28-09-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 27 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

My guess would be French food.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

You should be looking for enough food to feed me too because I'll be
hiding in a small carry on. ) Have fun!

No joke, take your chances... go to local mid priced restaurants and
look at menus to see what appeals - you won't be sorry.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

My guess would be French food.

You must be a seasoned international traveler, Mr. Incognito!

Old 28-09-2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

No joke, take your chances... go to local mid priced restaurants and
look at menus to see what appeals - you won't be sorry.

Get The Food Lovers Guide to France, by Patricia Wells...she is a
wealth of information.

Christine

Old 28-09-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

Bread. Bring your jam. I'll bet you can charm the village with a few
jars of the stuff.

Greg Zywicki

Old 28-09-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

My guess would be French food.

Actually these days it's mostly muslim coozine.

Sheldon

Old 28-09-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

Bouillabaisse, bourride (creamy garlic fish soup), daube à la provençale
(beef stew), estouffade à la provençale (lamb stew), pot-au-feu à la
marseillaise, les pieds-paquets à la marseillaise (mutton tripe and
feet), mesclun (mixed salad), tapénade (olive paste with capers).

Bubba
Old 28-09-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Zywicki" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Hmmmm, I'll be in Marseilles in about a month -- what kind of food
should i be looking for?

Bread. Bring your jam. I'll bet you can charm the village with a few
jars of the stuff.

Greg Zywicki

Heh! The TSA will probably view it with a jaundiced eye!

South of France Bill S. Wine 0 23-05-2011 05:53 PM
WTN: 8 wines from the south of France DaleW Wine 0 18-12-2010 06:49 PM
TN: Lambrusco, SW (?) France, South Africa DaleW Wine 2 10-07-2008 04:23 PM
TN: South of France on a pretty NY night DaleW Wine 0 19-04-2008 06:37 PM
property on sale in south France arnaud Winemaking 0 12-02-2005 01:09 PM