Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned Black Beans

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> George wrote:
>
>> A typical jarred sauce is made from low quality tomatoes (which have
>> little flavor) because they know they will be adding a ton of sugar and
>> salt and a tiny amount of seasonings.
>>
>> You can prove it to yourself. Make a simple marinara (good canned
>> tomatoes, olive oil, onion and garlic) and compare. The one you made will
>> have at least 100 times the flavor of the jarred sauce.

> I dispute your "100 times the flavor" claim. Please tell me how you
> measure flavor. (Are you counting flavonoids per gram?)
>
> Now try adding a pinch of sugar to your homemade marinara sauce. It will
> be BETTER. At least a SEXTILLION times better. ("Sextillion" is a funny
> word, isn't it? Like a cotillion, only much, much less formal.)

I have to say, jarred sauce is almost always better than my homemade
sauce, in which I never use sugar. A reflection of my cooking skills?
Maybe. But, regardless of sugar content, I certainly can taste the other
ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> George wrote:
>
> > A typical jarred sauce is made from low quality tomatoes (which have
> > little flavor) because they know they will be adding a ton of sugar and
> > salt and a tiny amount of seasonings.
> >
> > You can prove it to yourself. Make a simple marinara (good canned
> > tomatoes, olive oil, onion and garlic) and compare. The one you made will
> > have at least 100 times the flavor of the jarred sauce.

> I dispute your "100 times the flavor" claim. Please tell me how you measure
> flavor. (Are you counting flavonoids per gram?)
>
> Now try adding a pinch of sugar to your homemade marinara sauce. It will be
> BETTER. At least a SEXTILLION times better. ("Sextillion" is a funny word,
> isn't it? Like a cotillion, only much, much less formal.)
>
> Bob

I believe the purpose of the sugar in tomato sauces is to neutralize
the acidity. It can also be done by adding baking soda if you'd rather
not add sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> A typical jarred sauce is made from low quality tomatoes (which have
>> little flavor) because they know they will be adding a ton of sugar and
>> salt and a tiny amount of seasonings.
>>
>> You can prove it to yourself. Make a simple marinara (good canned
>> tomatoes, olive oil, onion and garlic) and compare. The one you made will
>> have at least 100 times the flavor of the jarred sauce.

> I dispute your "100 times the flavor" claim. Please tell me how you measure
> flavor. (Are you counting flavonoids per gram?)

I think that is the generally accepted unit of measure...

> Now try adding a pinch of sugar to your homemade marinara sauce. It will be
> BETTER. At least a SEXTILLION times better. ("Sextillion" is a funny word,
> isn't it? Like a cotillion, only much, much less formal.)
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> I believe the purpose of the sugar in tomato sauces is to neutralize
> the acidity. It can also be done by adding baking soda if you'd rather
> not add sugar.

Sure, the idea of adding a pinch of sugar does that and if you have a
quality tomato that isn't even necessary. But jarred sauces are
typically 30~50% sugar
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> I have to say, jarred sauce is almost always better than my homemade
> sauce, in which I never use sugar. A reflection of my cooking skills?

Probably not since it is pretty hard to go wrong making a marinara
sauce. Since you don't use sugar in the homemade sauce you may have
gotten used to the high sugar content that is so common in things like
jarred sauces, and at the industrial chain restaurants.

> Maybe. But, regardless of sugar content, I certainly can taste the other
> ingredients.

I honestly taste sugar as if I was eating something covered in pancake
syrup.
I get the same reaction with say dominos or pizza hut pizza. The other
tastes
are pretty much overwhelmed by the sugar. Its just not me because a
number of friends have a similar opinion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Sure, the idea of adding a pinch of sugar does that and if you have a
> quality tomato that isn't even necessary. But jarred sauces are typically
> 30~50% sugar

Please point to a reputable source which supports your outlandish figure.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote:
>You can prove it to yourself. Make a simple marinara (good canned
>tomatoes, olive oil, onion and garlic) and compare. The one you made
>will have at least 100 times the flavor of the jarred sauce.

Which is why I haven't bought a jarred sauce since I
discovered that if I have a tomato, I can make spaghetti.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> Sure, the idea of adding a pinch of sugar does that and if you have a
>> quality tomato that isn't even necessary. But jarred sauces are typically
>> 30~50% sugar

> Please point to a reputable source which supports your outlandish figure.
>
> Bob

Its always the second item on the list of ingredients (high fructose
corn syrup = sugar), I (and numerous friends) can taste it, and a
trusted friend who is a food chemist and actually formulates the stuff
for a major industrial food company that you would instantly recognize
verified it.

And its nothing outlandish, most jarred sauces have become dessert
toppings. You can taste it for yourself. have someone make a typical
marinara and then open a jar of sauce and present them to you and
friends for comparison. Some people may even think the real marinara is
"disgusting" because of its lack of sweetness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote:>

> And its nothing outlandish, most jarred sauces have become dessert
> toppings.

George, you are exaggerating. Which is fine, I do it myself. But it
seems you have no idea you are exaggerating.

Prego does NOT taste like "dessert topping." It tastes like tomato
garlic, onions, peppers, and spices. And other stuff, depending on
the variety. Just say, prepared sauces have too much sugar for
your taste, without all the hyperbole, and nobody will poke you
about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > George wrote:
> >
> >> Sure, the idea of adding a pinch of sugar does that and if you have a
> >> quality tomato that isn't even necessary. But jarred sauces are typically
> >> 30~50% sugar

> > Please point to a reputable source which supports your outlandish figure.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Its always the second item on the list of ingredients (high fructose
> corn syrup = sugar), I (and numerous friends) can taste it, and a
> trusted friend who is a food chemist and actually formulates the stuff
> for a major industrial food company that you would instantly recognize
> verified it.
>

> And its nothing outlandish, most jarred sauces have become dessert
> toppings. You can taste it for yourself. have someone make a typical
> marinara and then open a jar of sauce and present them to you and
> friends for comparison. Some people may even think the real marinara is
> "disgusting" because of its lack of sweetness.

I think it's outlandish. I won't buy them, both because of the sugar
and also the price. Plain old tomato sauce works just fine, for much
less money and much less sugar. Just add a dash of Italian spices and
you are set. Still has the same amount of sodium though, and the sugar
is still high (although not in the list of ingredients, so they must be
sweet tomatoes).

Still, where did you (George) get the 30-40%? Is that by weight, volume
or calories? Here is a site with a label:

http://www.delmonte.com/products/TomatoItem.asp?id=130

I calculate 8% sugars by weight for the above. The generic tomato sauce
from my garage is about half of that.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

>>> jarred sauces are typically 30~50% sugar

>> Please point to a reputable source which supports your outlandish figure.

> Its always the second item on the list of ingredients (high fructose corn
> syrup = sugar), I (and numerous friends) can taste it, and a trusted
> friend who is a food chemist and actually formulates the stuff for a major
> industrial food company that you would instantly recognize verified it.

That doesn't support your claim that "jarred sauces are typically 30~50%
sugar," does it? I don't dispute that jarred sauces contain sugar, I dispute
that they contain as much sugar as you claim. Unless the THIRD ingredient on
the list comprises more than 30% of the sauce, you're likely to be wrong.

Furthermore, you're lying when you state that it's "always the second item
on the list of ingredients." I don't know what brands you've canvassed, but
they're obviously not the same ones that appear in my grocery store.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

cybercat wrote:
> I keep canned around for when I don't want to make a whole pot.
> I love black bean nachos! Just the beans, chunky hot salsa, and
> shredded cheddar.

Yup. I like them with any kind of beans on them, though.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> Please point to a reputable source which supports your outlandish figure.

>> Its always the second item on the list of ingredients (high fructose corn
>> syrup = sugar), I (and numerous friends) can taste it, and a trusted
>> friend who is a food chemist and actually formulates the stuff for a major
>> industrial food company that you would instantly recognize verified it.

> That doesn't support your claim that "jarred sauces are typically 30~50%
> sugar," does it? I don't dispute that jarred sauces contain sugar, I dispute
> that they contain as much sugar as you claim. Unless the THIRD ingredient on
> the list comprises more than 30% of the sauce, you're likely to be wrong.
>
> Furthermore, you're lying when you state that it's "always the second item
> on the list of ingredients." I don't know what brands you've canvassed, but
> they're obviously not the same ones that appear in my grocery store.
>
> Bob

Lying is a really strong accusation. I have not observed any brand that
does not list sugar as the second ingredient. Exactly how does that make
me a liar?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>> Furthermore, you're lying when you state that it's "always the second
>> item
>> on the list of ingredients." I don't know what brands you've canvassed,
>> but
>> they're obviously not the same ones that appear in my grocery store.

> Lying is a really strong accusation. I have not observed any brand that
> does not list sugar as the second ingredient. Exactly how does that make
> me a liar?

Right from the jar of Bertolli Italian Sausage I have on hand ... first 5
ingredients
are tomato puree, water, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, onions, after that
it's
Italian sausage which does list sugar as an ingredient, then several spices
are
listed before sugar in the sauce.

I wouldn't have it for dessert.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> >> Its always the second item on the list of ingredients (high fructose corn
> >> syrup = sugar), I (and numerous friends) can taste it, and a trusted
> >> friend who is a food chemist and actually formulates the stuff for a major
> >> industrial food company that you would instantly recognize verified it.

Is your trusted friend a bagger or a stocker at the supermarket?

> > That doesn't support your claim that "jarred sauces are typically 30~50%
> > sugar," does it? I don't dispute that jarred sauces contain sugar, I dispute
> > that they contain as much sugar as you claim. Unless the THIRD ingredient on
> > the list comprises more than 30% of the sauce, you're likely to be wrong.
> >
> > Furthermore, you're lying when you state that it's "always the second item
> > on the list of ingredients." I don't know what brands you've canvassed, but
> > they're obviously not the same ones that appear in my grocery store.

> Lying is a really strong accusation.

It's OK, we're used to liars on this group.

> I have not observed any brand that
> does not list sugar as the second ingredient.

Have you looked at any labels?

> Exactly how does that make
> me a liar?

I needed to get some stuff at the store. I spent five minutes looking
at the jarred pasta sauces. I looked at about ten different kinds
(three different brands). Not one had sugar or any variation of it as
the first or second ingredient. One had no sugar at all. Two had corn
syrup as their third ingredient. I think that makes you a liar.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > George wrote:
> >
> >> A typical jarred sauce is made from low quality tomatoes (which have
> >> little flavor) because they know they will be adding a ton of sugar and
> >> salt and a tiny amount of seasonings.
> >>
> >> You can prove it to yourself. Make a simple marinara (good canned
> >> tomatoes, olive oil, onion and garlic) and compare. The one you made will
> >> have at least 100 times the flavor of the jarred sauce.

> > I dispute your "100 times the flavor" claim. Please tell me how you measure
> > flavor. (Are you counting flavonoids per gram?)

> I think that is the generally accepted unit of measure...

And I think that Bob slipped us a ringer. I had seen the word
"flavonoid" but had no clue what it was. After checking out George's
other lies, I looked this one up. "Flavonoid" refers to plant pigments.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>> George wrote:
>>>

>>> I dispute your "100 times the flavor" claim. Please tell me how you measure
>>> flavor. (Are you counting flavonoids per gram?)

>> I think that is the generally accepted unit of measure...

> And I think that Bob slipped us a ringer. I had seen the word
> "flavonoid" but had no clue what it was. After checking out George's
> other lies, I looked this one up. "Flavonoid" refers to plant pigments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavonoid
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan wrote:

>>> I dispute your "100 times the flavor" claim. Please tell me how you
>>> measure flavor. (Are you counting flavonoids per gram?)

>> I think that is the generally accepted unit of measure...

> And I think that Bob slipped us a ringer. I had seen the word
> "flavonoid" but had no clue what it was. After checking out George's
> other lies, I looked this one up. "Flavonoid" refers to plant pigments.

Yes, I was having a little fun. There *is* no unit of flavor so I just made
one up. I used a word that sounded "right," even though it wasn't. I assumed
George's reply was as tongue-in-cheek as mine, but in light of his further
at all costs, even at the expense of his veracity.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> I think that is the generally accepted unit of measure...

>> And I think that Bob slipped us a ringer. I had seen the word
>> "flavonoid" but had no clue what it was. After checking out George's
>> other lies, I looked this one up. "Flavonoid" refers to plant pigments.

> Yes, I was having a little fun. There *is* no unit of flavor so I just made
> one up. I used a word that sounded "right," even though it wasn't. I assumed
> George's reply was as tongue-in-cheek as mine, but in light of his further
> at all costs, even at the expense of his veracity.
>
> Bob

Interesting that you immediately moved from having a little fun (which I
can assure you didn't go over my head) to a personal attack. Since you
have no way of knowing what I may have observed or what my personal
experience might be there is no logical way you can make the declaration
you made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Yeah, why not? Look outside the box.. Hummous can be made from a
> lot of things, not just chickpeas. So can falafels..or anything....

Hummus _means_ chick pea (or garbanzo, depending on your dialect).
So, no, it can't be made from any bean. The dish is actually hummus bi
tahina, it is called hummus as short hand. Falafel also has a basic
recipe which does not include black beans, though there is more room for
variation there.

Make whatever you want, but don't call it something else.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> Yeah, why not? Look outside the box.. Hummous can be made from a
>> lot of things, not just chickpeas. So can falafels..or anything....

> Hummus _means_ chick pea (or garbanzo, depending on your dialect).
> So, no, it can't be made from any bean. The dish is actually hummus bi
> tahina, it is called hummus as short hand. Falafel also has a basic
> recipe which does not include black beans, though there is more room for
> variation there.
>
> Make whatever you want, but don't call it something else.

Can I call them both "bean dip"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Matt" > wrote in message
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, why not? Look outside the box.. Hummous can be made from a
>>> lot of things, not just chickpeas. So can falafels..or anything....

>> Hummus _means_ chick pea (or garbanzo, depending on your dialect).
>> So, no, it can't be made from any bean. The dish is actually hummus bi
>> tahina, it is called hummus as short hand. Falafel also has a basic
>> recipe which does not include black beans, though there is more room for
>> variation there.
>>
>> Make whatever you want, but don't call it something else.

> Can I call them both "bean dip"?

Yes you can, and I am prepared to trounce anyone who dares to say you can't.
>: [

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Matt > wrote:

> Ranee Mueller wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, why not? Look outside the box.. Hummous can be made from a
> >> lot of things, not just chickpeas. So can falafels..or anything....

> > Hummus _means_ chick pea (or garbanzo, depending on your dialect).
> > So, no, it can't be made from any bean. The dish is actually hummus bi
> > tahina, it is called hummus as short hand. Falafel also has a basic
> > recipe which does not include black beans, though there is more room for
> > variation there.
> >
> > Make whatever you want, but don't call it something else.

> Can I call them both "bean dip"?

Absolutely!

Regards,
Ranee (thinking of people in other countries serving mashed turnips
and calling them mashed potatoes because they are prepared in a similar
way)