Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Miso soup and leftover tofu

I just finished enjoying a double helping of miso soup, which I
prepared myself. It was great! I followed the recipe on
videojug.com.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-miso-soup

This was my second attempt, as my first was a failure.
Here's some tips to follow to get it right the first time:

- Don't use nori seaweed in place of wakame. Nori is way beyond
dried. It's mummified. I can gar-un-damn-tee you, it's gonna stay
that way. The wakame rehydrates in just a couple minutes.

- Don't use konbu dashi concentrate. Konbu means it's vegatarian
dashi and contains no bonito. I now have some useless liquid konbu
dashi concentrate I can't use because it sucks. Better to use instant
dashi. It comes in a small box containing foil packets with the dried
concentrate, like powdered bullion. I've tried making my own dashi
using dried seaweed and dried bonito flakes. Honestly, from a taste
standpoint, I prefer the instant. Even the Japanese guy who owned the
Japanese store in Japantown recommended the instant.

- Know your tofu. Being totally clueless about tofu, I bought silken
tofu. I thought it was soft because firm is the next grade up for the
brand we have around here. The silken tofu I initially purchased was
only slightly firmer than fresh mucus. Turns out the tofu labeled
firm is what is shown in the vid.

I used red miso and am quite happy with the results. At the rate I
eat this stuff, it should last for months. I'll get some white miso
next and try some more adventurous ingredients other than just the
tofu, scallions, and wakame shown in the video.

I only have one problem, now. I only used half my package of tofu.
I'll undoubtedly use the rest in the next day or two, but how to keep
it. Do I add more water to the container and keep it wet, or will
just wrapping in plastic be ok?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I only have one problem, now. I only used half my package of tofu.
> I'll undoubtedly use the rest in the next day or two, but how to keep
> it. Do I add more water to the container and keep it wet, or will
> just wrapping in plastic be ok?

Add more water to the container to keep it submerged in water. Wrapping
in plastic would probably work if you're only keeping it a day or two,
but keeping it in water works better and is very little extra trouble.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> I just finished enjoying a double helping of miso soup, which I
> prepared myself. It was great! I followed the recipe on
> videojug.com.
>
> http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-miso-soup
>
> This was my second attempt, as my first was a failure.
> Here's some tips to follow to get it right the first time:
>
> - Don't use nori seaweed in place of wakame. Nori is way beyond
> dried. It's mummified. I can gar-un-damn-tee you, it's gonna stay
> that way. The wakame rehydrates in just a couple minutes.
>
> - Don't use konbu dashi concentrate. Konbu means it's vegatarian
> dashi and contains no bonito. I now have some useless liquid konbu
> dashi concentrate I can't use because it sucks. Better to use instant
> dashi. It comes in a small box containing foil packets with the dried
> concentrate, like powdered bullion. I've tried making my own dashi
> using dried seaweed and dried bonito flakes. Honestly, from a taste
> standpoint, I prefer the instant. Even the Japanese guy who owned the
> Japanese store in Japantown recommended the instant.
>
> - Know your tofu. Being totally clueless about tofu, I bought silken
> tofu. I thought it was soft because firm is the next grade up for the
> brand we have around here. The silken tofu I initially purchased was
> only slightly firmer than fresh mucus. Turns out the tofu labeled
> firm is what is shown in the vid.
>
> I used red miso and am quite happy with the results. At the rate I
> eat this stuff, it should last for months. I'll get some white miso
> next and try some more adventurous ingredients other than just the
> tofu, scallions, and wakame shown in the video.
>
> I only have one problem, now. I only used half my package of tofu.
> I'll undoubtedly use the rest in the next day or two, but how to keep
> it. Do I add more water to the container and keep it wet, or will
> just wrapping in plastic be ok?
>
> nb

All of this is wonderful advice, nb, and comes at a great time because I've
been interested in making my own miso soup. Thank you!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I used red miso and am quite happy with the results. At the rate I
> eat this stuff, it should last for months. I'll get some white miso
> next and try some more adventurous ingredients other than just the
> tofu, scallions, and wakame shown in the video.

Aka miso is my favorite. I don't usually use shiro miso in soup because
it doesn't have enough flavor for my taste.

In the winter I add cabbage, cubed potatoes and brown (cooking) onion.

You are off to a good start. Whatever you don't don't waste your money
on any of those "instant miso soup" products. They have a terrible taste
nothing at all like real soup.

> I only have one problem, now. I only used half my package of tofu.
> I'll undoubtedly use the rest in the next day or two, but how to keep
> it. Do I add more water to the container and keep it wet, or will
> just wrapping in plastic be ok?
>
> nb

Submerge it in water.

Curried Tofu Apple Soup (Tofu) workingonit Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2010 04:05 AM
Red/White Miso Soup with Tofu -- any good or any use? Phred General Cooking 10 30-10-2009 06:39 PM
Miso Soup eatwell General Cooking 0 11-01-2007 03:02 AM
Miso baked tofu - and aubergine thing Kake L Pugh Vegetarian cooking 4 08-12-2006 09:25 AM
miso soup ::^-^:: Nikolaas Debeuf Asian Cooking 20 07-04-2004 04:09 AM