FoodBanter.com

-   -   Shopping cart thief (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/101839-shopping-cart-thief.html)

Nancy Young 21-09-2006 03:52 PM

Shopping cart thief

I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
that.

On the way out, I was paid back for laughing. I put my cart
by the rest by the store, it kept rolling no matter how I angled it.
Finally, it's not going anywhere. As I'm walking to my car with
8 bags in 2 hands, I hear it coming for me. Fast.

I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

nancy

Nancy Young 21-09-2006 04:42 PM

Shopping cart thief

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:52:06 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
>> a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
>> this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
>> took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
>> that.

> I left my cart at the end of an isle once (like I usually do in
> crowded stores), and when I went back, all the stuff from my cart
> is sitting on an end-cap next to an empty hand-basket.

Oh, I hope it was the woman you attacked. (laugh) Hey, what
was she thinking, it's one thing to walk off with someone else's
cart accidentally, it's another to take the stuff out so you can use
the cart. That's ridiculous.

nancy

Julia Altshuler 21-09-2006 05:44 PM

Shopping cart thief

Nancy Young wrote:

> Oh, I hope it was the woman you attacked. (laugh) Hey, what
> was she thinking, it's one thing to walk off with someone else's
> cart accidentally, it's another to take the stuff out so you can use
> the cart. That's ridiculous.

Some stores make you put a quarter in the cart to unlatch it from cart
corral. You get your quarter back when you return it. In those cases,
the cart is worth cash money!

--Lia

Chatty Cathy 21-09-2006 05:54 PM

Shopping cart thief

Nancy Young wrote:
> I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
> a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
> this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
> took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
> that.

LOL. BTDT. I was the "thief" - once. Took the wrong one. Luckily I
realized it after putting only one or two more items in "my" cart. I
also said bad words. I looked around for somebody "muttering", didn't
see anybody, so headed back to where I had left the cart, found mine,
dumped my stuff in it and left the "stolen" cart back there... Whew!!! ;)

> On the way out, I was paid back for laughing. I put my cart
> by the rest by the store, it kept rolling no matter how I angled it.
> Finally, it's not going anywhere. As I'm walking to my car with
> 8 bags in 2 hands, I hear it coming for me. Fast.
>
> I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
> and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
> What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
> But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

You were sorta lucky there - pinkies usually heal by themselves ;). Had
my car scratched more than once by those "runaways" (and once it was not
even my cart!) <sigh> But my worst moan about carts is the ones that
have that "one wheel" that won't turn, no-way no-how.... Grrrrrr. You
either have to take the damn thing back to the bay and get another one
(but usually there is no other cart in sight) or just put up with it.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Nancy Young 21-09-2006 06:05 PM

Shopping cart thief

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
>> a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
>> this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
>> took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
>> that.

> LOL. BTDT. I was the "thief" - once. Took the wrong one. Luckily I
> realized it after putting only one or two more items in "my" cart. I also
> said bad words. I looked around for somebody "muttering", didn't see
> anybody, so headed back to where I had left the cart, found mine, dumped
> my stuff in it and left the "stolen" cart back there... Whew!!! ;)

(laugh) And get out of Dodge before anyone sees you.

>> I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
>> and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
>> What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
>> But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

> You were sorta lucky there - pinkies usually heal by themselves ;).

Oh, this is the one I really hurt a few years ago and hasn't been
right since. That's okay, it's puffy, there won't even be anything
left to whine about in a couple hours, as you say.

> Had my car scratched more than once by those "runaways" (and once it was
> not even my cart!) <sigh> But my worst moan about carts is the ones that
> have that "one wheel" that won't turn, no-way no-how.... Grrrrrr. You
> either have to take the damn thing back to the bay and get another one
> (but usually there is no other cart in sight) or just put up with it.

Gawd, I used to just cringe when I would get one of those. It would wait
until I was about 30 feet into the store, lock up and screeeeech everywhere
you went. So embarrassing. They keep them in better repair these days, I
guess, that hasn't happened to me in forever.

nancy

Chatty Cathy 21-09-2006 06:18 PM

Shopping cart thief

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Oh, this is the one I really hurt a few years ago and hasn't been
> right since. That's okay, it's puffy, there won't even be anything
> left to whine about in a couple hours, as you say.

Didn't realize that. Murphy's Law... it would have to be *that* pinky -
Ouch! sorry Nancy...

> Gawd, I used to just cringe when I would get one of those. It would wait
> until I was about 30 feet into the store, lock up and screeeeech everywhere
> you went. So embarrassing. They keep them in better repair these days, I
> guess, that hasn't happened to me in forever.

Dunno. Murphy seems to strike me too... On any given day that I am in a
hurry, (i.e. just need to get this shopping done now!) I get one of
*those* carts. Must have been real bad in a previous life ;)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

King's Crown[_1_] 21-09-2006 06:28 PM

Shopping cart thief

I've had my cart taken. I rolled the cart that was not mine around the
store until I found the person who took it. Boy, were they embarrassed. No
need to be really.

Lynne

. ..

-bwg 21-09-2006 06:36 PM

Shopping cart thief

> I left my cart at the end of an isle once (like I usually do in
> crowded stores), and when I went back, all the stuff from my cart
> is sitting on an end-cap next to an empty hand-basket.
>
> I looked around and saw this lady and her daughter eye me just as
> she headed up an isle with a cart. I caught up to her, stopped
> her (my) cart, emptied out all her stuff into the middle of the
> isle as she stood there wild-eyed. I announced to about 5 other
> shoppers nearby: "Watch out for this lady or she'll steal your
> cart like she just did mine".
>
> At least I *think* I had the right culprit judging from her
> behavior and reaction. Otherwise I would have looked pretty
> silly. Who knows - maybe she wasn't one who stole my cart?
> <shrug> We'll never know.

Sounds like it would be fun to do it to arbitrarily chosen shoppers.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_5_] 21-09-2006 08:33 PM

Shopping cart thief

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:52:06 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
> > a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
> > this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
> > took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
> > that.

> I left my cart at the end of an isle once (like I usually do in
> crowded stores), and when I went back, all the stuff from my cart
> is sitting on an end-cap next to an empty hand-basket.
>
> I looked around and saw this lady and her daughter eye me just as
> she headed up an isle with a cart. I caught up to her, stopped
> her (my) cart, emptied out all her stuff into the middle of the
> isle as she stood there wild-eyed. I announced to about 5 other
> shoppers nearby: "Watch out for this lady or she'll steal your
> cart like she just did mine".
>
> At least I *think* I had the right culprit judging from her
> behavior and reaction. Otherwise I would have looked pretty
> silly. Who knows - maybe she wasn't one who stole my cart?
> <shrug> We'll never know.
>
> -sw

Damn. You seriously had a set of brass ones. ;-)
Where did you buy them just to keep it on topice?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_5_] 21-09-2006 08:36 PM

Shopping cart thief

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2006 10:36:28 -0700, -bwg wrote:
>
> > Sounds like it would be fun to do it to arbitrarily chosen shoppers.

> On one of those Candid Camera-like shows they had people that
> would shop from other people carts. You see something in
> sombody's cart, you just take move it over to yours.
>
> I did that once, too.

*******!

I once had the _perfect_ Christmas gift picked out and in my cart, and
it was the last one...

Turned my back for a couple of minutes to do more shopping, and it was
gone from my cart. :-(

I was SO ****ed, I'd have embarrassed the hell out of the person that
did it! Might even have pulled out the pepper spray.

It was 3 days before Christmas.......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Nancy2 21-09-2006 08:39 PM

Shopping cart thief

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2006 10:36:28 -0700, -bwg wrote:
>
> > Sounds like it would be fun to do it to arbitrarily chosen shoppers.

> On one of those Candid Camera-like shows they had people that
> would shop from other people carts. You see something in
> sombody's cart, you just take move it over to yours.
>
> I did that once, too.

I did that once, with Parmesan cheese - couldn't find it anywhere in
the store and about the 3rd time around, saw some in an unattended
cart, so I just lifted it out and put it in mine.

I was embarrassed about doing it, but not enough to put it back. I
thought my co-workers would die laughing when I mentioned what I had
done.

N.

itsjoannotjoann 21-09-2006 08:43 PM

Shopping cart thief

I've had one of those little hand baskets taken from me when I had set
it down to look for something. All my small purchases were dumped out,
I looked for the jerk who took it but didn't see any guilty parties.

My two biggest gripes are the folks who leave their cart in the check
out line like that is the proper place. I always bring it to their
attention that's not where they got it, I'm not moving it, take it with
you please. I get some awfully dirty looks but repeat remove the cart.
My other pet peeve is the lazy assholes who leave their carts right
where they've unloaded them in the parking lot even though the cart
return area is just two aisles away.

GRRRRRRRRR

[email protected] 21-09-2006 09:54 PM

Shopping cart thief

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> I've had one of those little hand baskets taken from me when I had set
> it down to look for something. All my small purchases were dumped out,
> I looked for the jerk who took it but didn't see any guilty parties.
>
> My two biggest gripes are the folks who leave their cart in the check
> out line like that is the proper place. I always bring it to their
> attention that's not where they got it, I'm not moving it, take it with
> you please. I get some awfully dirty looks but repeat remove the cart.
> My other pet peeve is the lazy assholes who leave their carts right
> where they've unloaded them in the parking lot even though the cart
> return area is just two aisles away.
>
> GRRRRRRRRR

My pet peeve is when I see someone take something they don't want out
of their cart and just stick it anywhere instead of returning it to
where they got it. I've never said anything directly to someone about
it but I have at times said, "Well gee, this (insert name of item lazy
person left) doesn't go here." making sure that the guilty person can
hear my comment.

Nancy Young 21-09-2006 10:58 PM

Shopping cart thief

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote

> My two biggest gripes are the folks who leave their cart in the check
> out line like that is the proper place. I always bring it to their
> attention that's not where they got it, I'm not moving it, take it with
> you please.

You mean, people do that?! Someone did that to me once, they
walked off leaving their cart there in the checkout aisle. Hello, who
am I your servant? I'm supposed to move it? I was *steamed*.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 22-09-2006 01:37 AM

Shopping cart thief

On 21 Sep 2006 13:54:45 -0700, " >
wrote:

>My pet peeve is when I see someone take something they don't want out
>of their cart and just stick it anywhere instead of returning it to
>where they got it. I've never said anything directly to someone about
>it but I have at times said, "Well gee, this (insert name of item lazy
>person left) doesn't go here." making sure that the guilty person can
>hear my comment.

I'm passive-aggressive, too. :D

LadyJane 22-09-2006 02:47 AM

Shopping cart thief

I've got a couple of theories about the improvement in our shopping
trolleys (carts)....

eons ago you'd almost NEVER see a guy shopping for groceries - if he
was married his wife always did the shopping, if he was single his mum
or girlfried would shop.

take a good look around in your shopping centres - large proportion of
men now who regularly shop, either for themselves or their entire
family.

ergo the improvement in shopping trolleys!

and by the same regard, more men are now house-husbands, mum going off
to earn the salary while dad stays home & looks after their brood.
in the last few years a miraculous development took place - baby
capsules attached to trolleys, twin seater trolleys for
toddlers/children.

Makes me laugh when I think on the times just 18 years ago when I would
have KILLED for one of these state-of-the-art trolleys! Used to plop my
twins in one trolley (standing or sitting with a book or toy or so) and
drag a second trolley along behind me with the weekly shop safely out
of their reach. No wonder I had muscles on muscles!

The fact that the trolleys seem to behave themselves these days is
probably also due to more male shoppers.... let's face it, our mums
and grandmothers always had to do battle with wonky trolleys... seems
odd that once men start actually using them they suddenly get
'improved'.... don't you think?

cheers,

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"
and on the stolen trolley syndrome, one elderly couple who live in a

Leonard Blaisdell 22-09-2006 06:06 AM

Shopping cart thief

In article . com>,
"LadyJane" > wrote:

> The fact that the trolleys seem to behave themselves these days is
> probably also due to more male shoppers.... let's face it, our mums
> and grandmothers always had to do battle with wonky trolleys... seems
> odd that once men start actually using them they suddenly get
> 'improved'.... don't you think?

I represent one of those guys drifting around in stores with the
grandtoddlers that you describe. Why would we have bothered to improve
shopping trolleys (carts) until those things affected us?
That's tongue in cheek! Really!
Wobbly wheels are my nemesis. I generally know the problem within twenty
feet and get another cart, thoughtfully leaving the other conveniently
located for the next shopper.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

-L. 22-09-2006 07:09 AM

Shopping cart thief

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> Wobbly wheels are my nemesis. I generally know the problem within twenty
> feet and get another cart, thoughtfully leaving the other conveniently
> located for the next shopper.

I hate the filthy, dirty carts that have damaged safety straps. In a
couple stores I frequent, I have to pull out 4 or 5 carts to get a
decently clean one that actually has intact straps for DS.

-L.

-L. 22-09-2006 07:14 AM

Shopping cart thief

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> My other pet peeve is the lazy assholes who leave their carts right
> where they've unloaded them in the parking lot even though the cart
> return area is just two aisles away.
>
> GRRRRRRRRR

I have done that a couple times when it is really hot outside, and I
have DS in the car and couldn't park close to the cart return (which I
always try to do). I always situate it so that it can't roll, but
there's no way I'm leaving him alone in a hot car even for a few
minutes. Sometimes I am able to unload him last - other times I have
to put him in first. It sort of depends on his demeanor and what I am
unloading. Somebody once gave me a dirty look for doing so. I gave
them the finger and a great big grin. :D

-L.

-L. 22-09-2006 07:17 AM

Shopping cart thief

-bwg wrote:

> Sounds like it would be fun to do it to arbitrarily chosen shoppers.

Somebody did this to me the day before Thanksgiving one year - removed
stuff from my cart and put someone else's stuff into mine. I was
shopping with my brother, had a *tone* of stuff in the cart and got
distracted so I didn't notice. I got home with stuff I had no
intention of buying and without essentials I needed. I was ****ed as
hell.

-L.

jmcquown 22-09-2006 08:04 AM

Shopping cart thief

Nancy Young wrote:
> I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
> a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
> this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
> took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
> that.

(snippage)

I had some older man accost me once in a grocery store because I had my
purse in the kiddy-seat of the cart. He grabbed my cart and ran off with
it, then came back and lectured me, "You see how easy someone could take
your purse, young lady?" I wasn't young and I have never been a lady! LOL
I replied, "You know how fast I could have pulled out my gun and shot you?
And by the way, I don't keep my money in my purse." We both laughed about
it but I wasn't joking. He thought he was "saving" me from something.

While we were on our trip it got so windy in Davenport we watched a shopping
cart actually leave the little collection area at the HyVee supermarket and
careen into someone's brand new SUV. I guess it was trying to make a
statement.

Jill

[email protected] 22-09-2006 08:21 AM

Shopping cart thief

wrote:

> My pet peeve is when I see someone take something they don't want out
> of their cart and just stick it anywhere instead of returning it to
> where they got it. I've never said anything directly to someone about
> it but I have at times said, "Well gee, this (insert name of item lazy
> person left) doesn't go here." making sure that the guilty person can
> hear my comment.

If it is a perishable item, it has the same affect as stealing it from
the store. It cannot be resold if it has been left sitting out, so it
goes into the trash and is a loss, just like shoplifting.

I work in a store, and when I see somebody do this, I do go up to them
ask them to give to an employee next time so that we have a chance to
save it instead of throw it away.

People don't seem to realize that a banana in the freezer or milk
sitting on the bakery table is garbage. You might as well steal it. At
least it won't be wasted.

We probobaly spend at least 2 hours a day just putting away items that
have been misplaced all over the store. That's $14 a day which adds up
to over $5000 per yer per store. And that doesn't include the value of
the tossed items. In the deli, we get about $20-$30 per day that comes
back and has to be thrown out. That's another $5000 to $10000 per year.

[email protected] 22-09-2006 09:03 AM

Shopping cart thief

> I represent one of those guys drifting around in stores with the
> grandtoddlers that you describe. Why would we have bothered to improve
> shopping trolleys (carts) until those things affected us?
> That's tongue in cheek! Really!
> Wobbly wheels are my nemesis. I generally know the problem within twenty
> feet and get another cart, thoughtfully leaving the other conveniently
> located for the next shopper.

Never take a loose cart sitting next to the line of carts. It is almost
certainly a reject, left there by the last victim. Skip it and take one
from the line.

itsjoannotjoann 22-09-2006 11:47 AM

Shopping cart thief

jmcquown wrote:

> I had some older man accost me once in a grocery store because I had my
> purse in the kiddy-seat of the cart. He grabbed my cart and ran off with
> it, then came back and lectured me, "You see how easy someone could take
> your purse, young lady?"

> Jill

I see this ALL the time. A purse in the kiddie-seat and the woman is
at the other end of the aisle, a good 20-30 feet away all engrossed in
finding her item and not paying attention to her purse/cart in the
least. I wonder how many women have had missing items/money from their
purses after a trip to the store and don't connect leaving their
property unguarded with missing money/items?

Nancy Young 22-09-2006 01:25 PM

Shopping cart thief

"jmcquown" > wrote

> I had some older man accost me once in a grocery store because I had my
> purse in the kiddy-seat of the cart. He grabbed my cart and ran off with
> it, then came back and lectured me, "You see how easy someone could take
> your purse, young lady?" I wasn't young and I have never been a lady! LOL
> I replied, "You know how fast I could have pulled out my gun and shot you?
> And by the way, I don't keep my money in my purse." We both laughed about
> it but I wasn't joking. He thought he was "saving" me from something.

Well who the hell annointed him purse cop. Mind your own business!
World's worst pickup line. One elderly woman told me, horrified, someone
could walk off with your purse! I thanked her, but ... don't worry about
it.
I'm not saying I want my pocketbook stolen, but I don't keep enough in there
that it would be the end of the world, either. She and I were the only
people
around, and she'd just rolled up.

> While we were on our trip it got so windy in Davenport we watched a
> shopping
> cart actually leave the little collection area at the HyVee supermarket
> and
> careen into someone's brand new SUV. I guess it was trying to make a
> statement.

(laugh) Funny. Last year sometime, I caught a movement out of the corner
of my eye ... it was this cart going 80 miles and hour, perfectly straight,
between
cars headed right for this woman! Man, I didn't know what to do. I forget
how it ended, I'm pretty sure she caught it and deflected it with her cart.

A shopping cart going straight? Without anyone pushing it? Now, that's a
cart. I have no idea how it squeezed between the cars without touching.

nancy

Stan Horwitz 22-09-2006 02:55 PM

Shopping cart thief

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
> a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
> this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
> took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
> that.
>
> On the way out, I was paid back for laughing. I put my cart
> by the rest by the store, it kept rolling no matter how I angled it.
> Finally, it's not going anywhere. As I'm walking to my car with
> 8 bags in 2 hands, I hear it coming for me. Fast.
>
> I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
> and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
> What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
> But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

Actually, it isn't a laughing matter. My sister had a similar thing
happen to her a few years ago. She left her purse on the shopping cart.
The cart was moved and her purse was gone. All her money, license, car
keys, house keys, and checks for her business, all gone in an instant.

That incident took my sister about six months to recover from, mostly
replacing the checks. People should be careful, especially about leaving
a purse or wallet in a shopping cart.

Nancy Young 22-09-2006 03:16 PM

Shopping cart thief

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
>> a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
>> this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
>> took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
>> that.

> Actually, it isn't a laughing matter. My sister had a similar thing
> happen to her a few years ago. She left her purse on the shopping cart.
> The cart was moved and her purse was gone. All her money, license, car
> keys, house keys, and checks for her business, all gone in an instant.

Then her purse was stolen. You can't tell me someone checked out and
didn't notice a purse. That's a different matter. She should have told
store
personnel who could have made sure her purse did not leave the building.

nancy

jmcquown 22-09-2006 03:18 PM

Shopping cart thief

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I had some older man accost me once in a grocery store because I had
>> my purse in the kiddy-seat of the cart. He grabbed my cart and ran
>> off with it, then came back and lectured me, "You see how easy
>> someone could take your purse, young lady?"

>> Jill

> I see this ALL the time. A purse in the kiddie-seat and the woman is
> at the other end of the aisle, a good 20-30 feet away all engrossed in
> finding her item and not paying attention to her purse/cart in the
> least. I wonder how many women have had missing items/money from
> their purses after a trip to the store and don't connect leaving their
> property unguarded with missing money/items?

But you snipped my point. I don't keep my money in my purse when I'm
shopping and by the way, is it someone elses business if I set my purse in
the cart? And I NEVER walk 20-30 feet away from my cart. That would be
silly, don't you think? What's the cart for if not to push towards the
items you want to buy and contain the items you already have selected?

What I can't stand are the huge "toy" carts that are designed to look like
fire engines or school busses or whatever. Big plastic monstrosities that
take up half an aisle and are designed more for ferrying kids around than
for shopping. Hey folks, the grocery store is *not* a McDonald's
playground! The rest of us would like to be able to manueuver in the
grocery store, thanks very much.

Jill

Puester 22-09-2006 04:34 PM

Shopping cart thief

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote
>
>> Actually, it isn't a laughing matter. My sister had a similar thing
>> happen to her a few years ago. She left her purse on the shopping cart.
>> The cart was moved and her purse was gone. All her money, license, car
>> keys, house keys, and checks for her business, all gone in an instant.

> Then her purse was stolen. You can't tell me someone checked out and
> didn't notice a purse. That's a different matter. She should have told
> store personnel who could have made sure her purse did not leave the building.
>
> nancy

Have you noticed that with the advent of self-checkout, there's hardly
any store personnel left? Sadly, I doubt that, even given a 30 minute
head start, most stores could gather enough employees to catch a thief.

gloria p

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_6_] 22-09-2006 08:01 PM

Shopping cart thief

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
> > a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
> > this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
> > took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
> > that.
> >

> (snippage)
>
> I had some older man accost me once in a grocery store because I had my
> purse in the kiddy-seat of the cart. He grabbed my cart and ran off with
> it, then came back and lectured me, "You see how easy someone could take
> your purse, young lady?" I wasn't young and I have never been a lady! LOL
> I replied, "You know how fast I could have pulled out my gun and shot you?
> And by the way, I don't keep my money in my purse." We both laughed about
> it but I wasn't joking. He thought he was "saving" me from something.

<lol> Since I've started "carrying", I use a fannypack holster so my
"purse" is around my waist. No more worrying about walking away from my
cart for a minute with a purse in it. :-)

My main purse stays in the car under cover and I just take the checkbook
and/or coin purse into the store. Maybe a comb and handkerchief at
most...

Dedicated fannypack holsters have the gun up against your body with a
1.5" belly strap so it's secure and comfortable and it's in it's OWN
compartment separate from everything else. Good ones have a cord opener
for fast draw. They are inexpensive, usually at just under $30.00.

The front part of the fannypack has extra zip pouches for coin purse,
checkbook etc. There is an extra magazine of ammo under the checkbook,
and a can of pepper spray...

> While we were on our trip it got so windy in Davenport we watched a shopping
> cart actually leave the little collection area at the HyVee supermarket and
> careen into someone's brand new SUV. I guess it was trying to make a
> statement.
>
> Jill

Whatever works.... :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_6_] 22-09-2006 08:04 PM

Shopping cart thief

In article >,
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
> > a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
> > this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
> > took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
> > that.
> >
> > On the way out, I was paid back for laughing. I put my cart
> > by the rest by the store, it kept rolling no matter how I angled it.
> > Finally, it's not going anywhere. As I'm walking to my car with
> > 8 bags in 2 hands, I hear it coming for me. Fast.
> >
> > I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
> > and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
> > What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
> > But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

> Actually, it isn't a laughing matter. My sister had a similar thing
> happen to her a few years ago. She left her purse on the shopping cart.
> The cart was moved and her purse was gone. All her money, license, car
> keys, house keys, and checks for her business, all gone in an instant.
>
> That incident took my sister about six months to recover from, mostly
> replacing the checks. People should be careful, especially about leaving
> a purse or wallet in a shopping cart.

The beauty of fanny packs...

I have an extra worry now.
The last thing I want to do is arm a thief with a $400.00 weapon. :-(
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

projectile vomit chick 22-09-2006 09:12 PM

Shopping cart thief

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I left my cart at the end of an isle once (like I usually do in
> crowded stores), and when I went back, all the stuff from my cart
> is sitting on an end-cap next to an empty hand-basket.
>
> I looked around and saw this lady and her daughter eye me just as
> she headed up an isle with a cart. I caught up to her, stopped
> her (my) cart, emptied out all her stuff into the middle of the
> isle as she stood there wild-eyed. I announced to about 5 other
> shoppers nearby: "Watch out for this lady or she'll steal your
> cart like she just did mine".
>
> At least I *think* I had the right culprit judging from her
> behavior and reaction. Otherwise I would have looked pretty
> silly. Who knows - maybe she wasn't one who stole my cart?
> <shrug> We'll never know.

When my sister and I were about ten years old we would accompany our
mom to do the grocery shopping. We enjoyed picking up expensive items
and tossing them into someone's cart when they weren't looking.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_6_] 22-09-2006 10:01 PM

Shopping cart thief

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:01:43 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I just take the checkbook and/or coin purse into the store. Maybe a comb
> > and handkerchief at most...

> Shouldn't that be a brush and a Kleenex?
>
> -sw [ducking]

<lol> Whatever works........ ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Default User 22-09-2006 10:06 PM

Shopping cart thief

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Not all carts have improved, either. I have one store in town
> where I can't take full strides because the tops of my feet hit
> the bar across the bottom of the cart.

The Walgreens I patronize has narrow little carts, so my feet often hit
the wheels as I walk.

> And don't you hate it when you get a cart smeared with greasy hand
> lotion? I wonder not only how these women can pick up anything
> with that much grease on their hands, but how much of my produce
> they've fondled.

Your stores haven't gone to the sanitary wipes by the carts? People got
all ascared when some report came out that there were germs on shopping
cart handles, so many stores have wipes available.

I reasonably happy if I get one that rolls straight.

Brian

won't shut up.

jmcquown 22-09-2006 10:36 PM

Shopping cart thief

-L. wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> Wobbly wheels are my nemesis. I generally know the problem within
>> twenty feet and get another cart, thoughtfully leaving the other
>> conveniently located for the next shopper.

> I hate the filthy, dirty carts that have damaged safety straps. In a
> couple stores I frequent, I have to pull out 4 or 5 carts to get a
> decently clean one that actually has intact straps for DS.
>
> -L.

I saw something on the news recently about some grocery stores offering
cleaning cloths (I would guess like Clorox pop-up wipes) for customers to
clean the seats and handles of the shopping carts. My (rhetorical) question
is, why is it the customers responsibility to clean the carts? Stuff breaks
(as the egg thread proves). An employee of the store should be hosing down
those carts as part of their job every day, with a sudsy pressure-washer
type thing. Just my two cents.

Jill

-L. 22-09-2006 10:40 PM

Shopping cart thief

jmcquown wrote:

> I saw something on the news recently about some grocery stores offering
> cleaning cloths (I would guess like Clorox pop-up wipes) for customers to
> clean the seats and handles of the shopping carts. My (rhetorical) question
> is, why is it the customers responsibility to clean the carts? Stuff breaks
> (as the egg thread proves). An employee of the store should be hosing down
> those carts as part of their job every day, with a sudsy pressure-washer
> type thing. Just my two cents.
>
> Jill

I totally agree - some of the carts here have not been washed in
months, I am sure. I do appreciate the sanitary wipes, though, and I
also bring my own. I don't want to put my hand in dried blood or
manure from produce, or have DS do the same and then stick it in his
mouth

Yes, I'm a germaphobe and proud to be one. ;).

-L.

jmcquown 22-09-2006 10:40 PM

Shopping cart thief

>> My pet peeve is when I see someone take something they don't want out
>> of their cart and just stick it anywhere instead of returning it to
>> where they got it. I've never said anything directly to someone
>> about it but I have at times said, "Well gee, this (insert name of
>> item lazy person left) doesn't go here." making sure that the guilty
>> person can hear my comment.

> If it is a perishable item, it has the same affect as stealing it from
> the store. It cannot be resold if it has been left sitting out, so it
> goes into the trash and is a loss, just like shoplifting.
>
> I work in a store, and when I see somebody do this, I do go up to them
> ask them to give to an employee next time so that we have a chance to
> save it instead of throw it away.
>
> People don't seem to realize that a banana in the freezer or milk
> sitting on the bakery table is garbage. You might as well steal it. At
> least it won't be wasted.
>
> We probobaly spend at least 2 hours a day just putting away items that
> have been misplaced all over the store. That's $14 a day which adds up
> to over $5000 per yer per store. And that doesn't include the value of
> the tossed items. In the deli, we get about $20-$30 per day that comes
> back and has to be thrown out. That's another $5000 to $10000 per
> year.

Hear hear! I've seen *steaks* sitting on top of canned goods. Hey, if you
decide you don't want the steak, put it back in the refrigerated meat
counter where you got it! Funny, your legs weren't broken five minutes ago.

Jill

Julia Altshuler 22-09-2006 11:44 PM

Shopping cart thief

jmcquown wrote:
Hey folks, the grocery store is *not* a McDonald's
> playground! The rest of us would like to be able to manueuver in the
> grocery store, thanks very much.

What would a shopping cart look like that was both efficient for
shopping and safe for kids? I agree that the giant plastic toys are
annoying to the other customers, but just putting the kids in the
regular cart is dangerous. As one who made it to adulthood without
helmets or seatbelts, I was surprised when I learned how dangerous the
regular carts can be. We're not talking about a single freak accident
when a particularly unruly kid tumbles out ot the cart. We're talking
about lots of emergency room visits and serious injuries. There are
plenty of good engineers and design experts in this county and on this
list. What a good one look like?

--Lia

Default User 22-09-2006 11:45 PM

Shopping cart thief

jmcquown wrote:

> I saw something on the news recently about some grocery stores
> offering cleaning cloths (I would guess like Clorox pop-up wipes) for
> customers to clean the seats and handles of the shopping carts. My
> (rhetorical) question is, why is it the customers responsibility to
> clean the carts?

That's not what those are for, they are disinfecting wipes to get rid
of germs on the handles. There was a study that came out about how much
bacteria and such other people leave on the cart handles.

Brian

won't shut up.

Julia Altshuler 23-09-2006 12:02 AM

Shopping cart thief

Default User wrote:

> That's not what those are for, they are disinfecting wipes to get rid
> of germs on the handles. There was a study that came out about how much
> bacteria and such other people leave on the cart handles.

Is that really the sort of bacteria that causes illness or that isn't
washed away with regular handwashing with regular soap? I'm trying to
get a handle on how dangerous the cart really handles are that they need
special disinfecting wipes. I can understand that people with
compromised immune systems (the sick, the elderly, those undergoing
chemotherapy for cancer) are sometimes recommended to be extra careful,
but in those cases, they bring their own wipes. For everyone else,
there's usually a scare about all the nasties found somewhere (on hotel
room bedspreads, on computer keypads, on the bottoms of women's pocket
books), but the nasties don't actually make people sick. They're grody
and make me feel icky, but there isn't actually anything there that
makes people ill. Meanwhile, the anti-bacterial everything only helps
the bacteria to become resistant. The best advice that I can see is
still just to wash your hands frequently with ordinary soap and water.

--Lia