Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lots of "Cheddar" Cheese/Nacho Sauce

>A 14oz can of Rico's Concentrated Cheddar Cheese Sauce is $2.69 at
> the grocery store.
>
> A 7lb can of Rico's Concentrated Cheddar Cheese Sauce is $5.20 at
> CostCo.
>
> Guess which one I bought? The can's been open for a week and is
> only a 1/4 of the way empty (or "3/4ths full" for those optimists
> who haven't already eaten almost 2lbs of the stuff).
>
> Can it be frozen? Any unique ideas for it other than the obvious
> (chip dips, mac and cheese, broccoli/Brussels sprouts). Any idea
> how long it'll last in the fridge?
>
> Note that this is the same stuff they use at most places that
> serve American-style nachos. This stuff costs $.05/oz, but they
> charge $.75-$1 for a serving of it at retail. Note that the label
> says "The Profit Maker".
> <http://ricos.com/products/RIC76000.pdf>
>
> -sw

Heh, the one in the link is 47 pounds.

I find dairy always has a bad texture after freezing... but seeing as this
is heavily processed, I'd say try freezing a portion of it, thaw it and
test?

How is the taste anyways? I love cheese sauce with my nachos, though the
nutrition factor could be a bit better :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:34:56 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>The nutrition factors are much better than if I'd made it at
>home... with real ingredients.

Oh, lighten up Steve. It's the Velveeta of nachos. Everyone knows
how to make "real" nachos, but sometimes we just want to eat the junky
version.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > said:
> Steve Wertz > :
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:43:29 -0700, sf wrote:
> >> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:34:56 GMT, Steve Wertz

> >> Oh, lighten up Steve. It's the Velveeta of nachos. Everyone knows
> >> how to make "real" nachos, but sometimes we just want to eat the junky
> >> version.

> > Hey - I like this stuff. And it's certainly convenient.

> Oh hell, who doesn't. I'm a Velveeta freak and still make the stuff with
> Rotel tomatoes.

Um, I don't <sheepishly waving hand>. I'm not a snob, I've just
never liked the taste of Velveeta or the canned nacho sauce. Give
me plain ol' sharp cheddar any day. I do still love my grandmother's
cheese dip, but she used the 1980's commodity American cheese in the
5# boxes, rather than Velveeta...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Steve Wertz > :
>
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:43:29 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:34:56 GMT, Steve Wertz

>>> Oh, lighten up Steve. It's the Velveeta of nachos. Everyone knows
>>> how to make "real" nachos, but sometimes we just want to eat the junky
>>> version.

>> Hey - I like this stuff. And it's certainly convenient.
>>
>> -sw

> Oh hell, who doesn't. I'm a Velveeta freak and still make the stuff with
> Rotel tomatoes.
>
> Michael

Try using American cheese slices instead of Velveeta sometime. I use
about 12 to 13 ounces of American cheese to one can of extra-hot Rotel
tomatoes.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:53:13 GMT, unge
(Litttle Malice) wrote:

>she used the 1980's commodity American cheese in the
>5# boxes, rather than Velveeta...

5# box? I think I tasted that stuff once a long time ago and liked it
a lot. Really!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:02:52 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:57:38 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Try using American cheese slices instead of Velveeta sometime. I use
>> about 12 to 13 ounces of American cheese to one can of extra-hot Rotel
>> tomatoes.

>I love a good American cheese (like Kraft Deluxe) - creamy and
>buttery. It's those individually-wrapped, processed cheese food
>crap (and Velveeta) that give it a bad rap.

You're absolutely right! I remember when those things were
introduced. I was a kid at the time and even I thought they were an
abomination (never did get used to them).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes we all love real cheddar , but the reason they dont use
it in fast food places is it loses its cheese flavor in cooking.
Processed cheese doesnt .

Monterey jack is close to mozzarela and cant give headaches
for the Annato . I ate at Taco Bell about 10 years ago .
The annato headaches were too much . I thought it was
the tyrosine ( spell?) , well known to cause headaches .

I study the secrets / chemistry of flavor ...

Litttle Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > said:
> > Steve Wertz > :

> > > Hey - I like this stuff. And it's certainly convenient.

> > Oh hell, who doesn't. I'm a Velveeta freak and still make the stuff with
> > Rotel tomatoes.

> Um, I don't <sheepishly waving hand>. I'm not a snob, I've just
> never liked the taste of Velveeta or the canned nacho sauce. Give
> me plain ol' sharp cheddar any day. I do still love my grandmother's
> cheese dip, but she used the 1980's commodity American cheese in the
> 5# boxes, rather than Velveeta...
>
> --
> "Little Malice" is Jani in WA
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Oh hell, who doesn't. I'm a Velveeta freak and still make the stuff with
> Rotel tomatoes.

I used to love that stuff back when I was in my 20s and skinny and
could eat anything I wanted. Last time I tried it though (a couple
years ago, after a 20 year hiatus), it tasted *incredibly* salty. I'm
not sure why.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"werty" > wrote:

> Yes we all love real cheddar , but the reason they dont use
> it in fast food places is it loses its cheese flavor in cooking.

Have you ever cooked cheese before? I didn't think so.

> Processed cheese doesnt .

Because it doesn't have much flavor to start with?

> Monterey jack is close to mozzarela and cant give headaches
> for the Annato . I ate at Taco Bell about 10 years ago .
> The annato headaches were too much . I thought it was
> the tyrosine ( spell?) , well known to cause headaches .

> I study the secrets / chemistry of flavor ...

Please don't post anymore until the first time you learn something.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Processed cheese has no flavor , says Dan Able

Dan says :

> Because it doesn't have much flavor to start with?

> Please don't post anymore until the first time you learn something.
> Dan Abel >
> Petaluma, California, USA

If processed cheese had no flavor , you would not be able to buy it
, it would
not exist .
Cheap boxes of mac/cheese have highly processed cheese
and it was made to keep more flavor than more expensive
sharp cheddar .

Daneila gotta be a female on da rag ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "werty" > wrote:
>
>> Yes we all love real cheddar , but the reason they dont use
>> it in fast food places is it loses its cheese flavor in cooking.

> Have you ever cooked cheese before? I didn't think so.

Honestly! I never use that processed crap. Cheddar is full
of flavor and it holds up fine with cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob is right on , American cheese slices are better flavor
than Velveeta . But of course expensive sharp cheddar is
better than those .
------------------------------------------BTW
Its artificial flavor ( Cheddar in Mac/Cheese) but it is not
poison , like a few processed foods .
I suspect it uses citric acid, to start the cheese
, rather than renin .

Any acid should work except vinegar ( more food is ruined by over
vinegar than any other*** ) . Cheese is made by acidifing milk below
about pH 4.5 , forming the casien .

Vinegar is shit . Walmart used to do green pepper and shrooms
spaghetti sauce .
It had really good flavor . Then big change ......

About 2006 June , they ruined it , it now tastes
strong vinegar only !!
I switched to Ragu .
Walmart also put crap in half/half , so i must go to FRY's !

Dont ever cook with milk , use buttermilk or
any other that will sour ( buttermilk) rather than go bad ( milk)

zxcvbob wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > Steve Wertz > :

> >> Hey - I like this stuff. And it's certainly convenient.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Oh hell, who doesn't. I'm a Velveeta freak and still make the stuff with
> > Rotel tomatoes.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Try using American cheese slices instead of Velveeta sometime. I use
> about 12 to 13 ounces of American cheese to one can of extra-hot Rotel
> tomatoes.
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>> In article .com>,
>> "werty" > wrote:
>>
>>> Yes we all love real cheddar , but the reason they dont use
>>> it in fast food places is it loses its cheese flavor in cooking.

>> Have you ever cooked cheese before? I didn't think so.
>>

> Honestly! I never use that processed crap. Cheddar is full
> of flavor and it holds up fine with cooking.

Largest selling cheese in the USA is Velveeta-by a lot!