Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cookbooks with lots of photos

I'm looking for cookbood suggestions for my 14 year old daughter who only
has an interest in trying recipes if she can see a photo of the finished
product. Let me know any cookbook titles you have, that you like, that have
lots of phots in them. Thank you!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris B" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for cookbood suggestions for my 14 year old daughter who only
> has an interest in trying recipes if she can see a photo of the finished
> product. Let me know any cookbook titles you have, that you like, that
> have lots of phots in them. Thank you!!!!

The "Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook" is excellent, with over
hundreds of color photos of dishes, plus clear illustrations of techniques
and methods.

I've used my GHIC for over 20 years. It's got many great recipes, and I
think it's a super book for beginners.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message

> The "Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook" is excellent, with over
> hundreds of color photos of dishes, plus clear illustrations of techniques
> and methods.
>
> I've used my GHIC for over 20 years. It's got many great recipes, and I
> think it's a super book for beginners.
>
> Karen

Correction: That was supposed to be "over 900 color photos"...

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris B wrote:
> I'm looking for cookbood suggestions for my 14 year old daughter who only
> has an interest in trying recipes if she can see a photo of the finished
> product. Let me know any cookbook titles you have, that you like, that have
> lots of phots in them.

What a great way to stifle a young person's creativity... why are you
hellbells bent upon turning your child into a copycat monkey. By
giving her images of picture perfect dishes you will be reponsible for
her developing an inferiority complex. Leave the poor kid to her own
devices, set her free to assist someone who knows how to cook well...
if she has natural ability a good cook will recognize her talent or
lack of within the first hour... if not consider giving her flute
lessons... what can it hurt, every gal can benefit from controlled
breathing technique and knowing how to coax the music from a piccolo...
and if the best she can do is hum a kazoo she won't need to know how to
cook, only how to make reservations.

Sheldon Realist

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Chris B wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for cookbood suggestions for my 14 year old daughter who only
>> has an interest in trying recipes if she can see a photo of the finished
>> product. Let me know any cookbook titles you have, that you like, that have
>> lots of phots in them.
>>

> What a great way to stifle a young person's creativity... why are you
> hellbells bent upon turning your child into a copycat monkey. By
> giving her images of picture perfect dishes you will be reponsible for
> her developing an inferiority complex. Leave the poor kid to her own
> devices, set her free to assist someone who knows how to cook well...
> if she has natural ability a good cook will recognize her talent or
> lack of within the first hour... if not consider giving her flute
> lessons... what can it hurt, every gal can benefit from controlled
> breathing technique and knowing how to coax the music from a piccolo...
> and if the best she can do is hum a kazoo she won't need to know how to
> cook, only how to make reservations.
>
> Sheldon Realist

Sheldon, mate, get off your high horse. It's the kid herself who insists
on photos. She'll learn the hard way that reality never quite matches
the pictures. As it happens, I endorse the suggestion of the Good
Housekeeping book - not only does it have pictures of every single dish,
it has a lot of drawings of the processes involved, making it excellent
for beginners. That said, I do agree that the best way to learn to cook
is assisting a good cook, but that isn't always possible.

As to pictures, I am sure I have heard that in many restaurants,
especially the down-market franchise eatery places which are to be found
in the USA, they have photos of the finished dishes up in the kitchen so
the staff know how to plate them up.

Christiner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:04:16 GMT, Karen wrote:
>
> > The "Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook" is excellent

> I was trying to remember the rest of the title... Thanks ;-)
> Consider that two votes for that one.
>
> -sw

Make that 3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Chris B wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking for cookbood suggestions for my 14 year old daughter who only
> >> has an interest in trying recipes if she can see a photo of the finished
> >> product. Let me know any cookbook titles you have, that you like, that have
> >> lots of phots in them.
> >>

> > What a great way to stifle a young person's creativity... why are you
> > hellbells bent upon turning your child into a copycat monkey. By
> > giving her images of picture perfect dishes you will be reponsible for
> > her developing an inferiority complex. Leave the poor kid to her own
> > devices, set her free to assist someone who knows how to cook well...
> > if she has natural ability a good cook will recognize her talent or
> > lack of within the first hour... if not consider giving her flute
> > lessons... what can it hurt, every gal can benefit from controlled
> > breathing technique and knowing how to coax the music from a piccolo...
> > and if the best she can do is hum a kazoo she won't need to know how to
> > cook, only how to make reservations.
> >
> > Sheldon Realist
> >

> Sheldon, mate, get off your high horse. It's the kid herself who insists
> on photos. She'll learn the hard way that reality never quite matches
> the pictures. As it happens, I endorse the suggestion of the Good
> Housekeeping book - not only does it have pictures of every single dish,
> it has a lot of drawings of the processes involved, making it excellent
> for beginners. That said, I do agree that the best way to learn to cook
> is assisting a good cook, but that isn't always possible.
>
> As to pictures, I am sure I have heard that in many restaurants,
> especially the down-market franchise eatery places which are to be found
> in the USA, they have photos of the finished dishes up in the kitchen so
> the staff know how to plate them up.

Yeah, the fast food and other big chain joints, the kind of cafeterias
you patronize... and those are not cooks, if they need pictures to copy
they're a tiny baby step above minimum wage burger flipper monkeys.

Anyway, it's not the kid, it's the mommy who wants the picture book for
herself... her post sounds exactly like when someone asks about a
medical problem and begins by saying "I have this friend who...". Know
how I know the OP is a phony... because nowadays any 14 year old can
get on the pc and find their own stuff, better than mommy.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon, to put it short and sweet... you are an ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris B wrote:
> Sheldon, to put it short and sweet... you are an ass.

No, you are an ass... I'm a PIA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
>
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> What a great way to stifle a young person's creativity... why are you
>>> hellbells bent upon turning your child into a copycat monkey. By
>>> giving her images of picture perfect dishes you will be reponsible for
>>> her developing an inferiority complex. Leave the poor kid to her own
>>> devices, set her free to assist someone who knows how to cook well...
>>> if she has natural ability a good cook will recognize her talent or
>>> lack of within the first hour... if not consider giving her flute
>>> lessons... what can it hurt, every gal can benefit from controlled
>>> breathing technique and knowing how to coax the music from a piccolo...
>>> and if the best she can do is hum a kazoo she won't need to know how to
>>> cook, only how to make reservations.
>>>
>>> Sheldon Realist
>>>

>> Sheldon, mate, get off your high horse. It's the kid herself who insists
>> on photos. She'll learn the hard way that reality never quite matches
>> the pictures. As it happens, I endorse the suggestion of the Good
>> Housekeeping book - not only does it have pictures of every single dish,
>> it has a lot of drawings of the processes involved, making it excellent
>> for beginners. That said, I do agree that the best way to learn to cook
>> is assisting a good cook, but that isn't always possible.
>>
>> As to pictures, I am sure I have heard that in many restaurants,
>> especially the down-market franchise eatery places which are to be found
>> in the USA, they have photos of the finished dishes up in the kitchen so
>> the staff know how to plate them up.
>>

> Yeah, the fast food and other big chain joints, the kind of cafeterias
> you patronize... and those are not cooks, if they need pictures to copy
> they're a tiny baby step above minimum wage burger flipper monkeys.

Ahem! If I wasn't a lawyer already I would be consulting my legal
advisers. We are not talking about the kind of eateries I patronise,
rather the sort of places where you used to work. I am so glad that you
are able to confirm from first hand knowledge what I have heard.

> Anyway, it's not the kid, it's the mommy who wants the picture book for
> herself... her post sounds exactly like when someone asks about a
> medical problem and begins by saying "I have this friend who...". Know
> how I know the OP is a phony... because nowadays any 14 year old can
> get on the pc and find their own stuff, better than mommy.

Oh dear, you don't know too many 14 year olds, do you? This business
about kids all being experts with modern technology just isn't true in
reality. They have certain skills, usually involving the right thumb,
which their parents lack, but if anything they are lacking in the
ability to search for and evaluate information.

Furthermore, the kid doesn't want to use the pc, she wants a *book*
(remember them, non-digital information storage and retrieval devices).

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How does it feel to only have a computer as your friend?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris B wrote:
> How does it feel to only have a computer as your friend?

Whom are you referring to?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:42:23 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> Chris B wrote:
>> I'm looking for cookbood suggestions for my 14 year old daughter who only
>> has an interest in trying recipes if she can see a photo of the finished
>> product. Let me know any cookbook titles you have, that you like, that have
>> lots of phots in them.

> What a great way to stifle a young person's creativity... why are you
> hellbells bent upon turning your child into a copycat monkey. By
> giving her images of picture perfect dishes you will be reponsible for
> her developing an inferiority complex. Leave the poor kid to her own
> devices, set her free to assist someone who knows how to cook well...
> if she has natural ability a good cook will recognize her talent or
> lack of within the first hour... if not consider giving her flute
> lessons... what can it hurt, every gal can benefit from controlled
> breathing technique and knowing how to coax the music from a piccolo...
> and if the best she can do is hum a kazoo she won't need to know how to
> cook, only how to make reservations.
>
> Sheldon Realist

FUNNY! LOLOLOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:04:16 GMT, Karen wrote:
> >
> > > The "Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook" is excellent

> > I was trying to remember the rest of the title... Thanks ;-)
> > Consider that two votes for that one.
> >
> > -sw

> Make that 3

I think an illustrated cookbook, be it Good Housekeeping's or another
volume, would be a good choice for a 14-year-old newbie. If the
cookbook has step-by-step picture instructions, so much the better. A
lot of teenagers are visual learners. Pictures can be very helpful with
ambiguous directions, like "Cream butter and sugar together." The RFC
regulars know exactly what that means, but a newbie may not have a clue.

That said, the mom should emphasize that those pretty pictures of the
final dishes were painstakingly posed and photographed. Fashion
photography has nothing on food photography.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Excerpt
> I think an illustrated cookbook, be it Good Housekeeping's or another
> volume, would be a good choice for a 14-year-old newbie. A
> lot of teenagers are visual learners.

> Cindy

Excuse me???

I am 30+ years old and I know a lot of Adults that are VISUAL learners as
well. As a matter of fact I am one of them.

Carla

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris B wrote:

> Sheldon, to put it short and sweet... you are an ass.

Killfiles, look into them.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> What a great way to stifle a young person's creativity... why are you
> hellbells bent upon turning your child into a copycat monkey. By
> giving her images of picture perfect dishes you will be reponsible for
> her developing an inferiority complex. Leave the poor kid to her own
> devices, set her free to assist someone who knows how to cook well...
> if she has natural ability a good cook will recognize her talent or
> lack of within the first hour... if not consider giving her flute
> lessons... what can it hurt, every gal can benefit from controlled
> breathing technique and knowing how to coax the music from a piccolo...
> and if the best she can do is hum a kazoo she won't need to know how to
> cook, only how to make reservations.
>
> Sheldon Realist

"Anyone who eats three meals a day should understand why cookbooks
outsell sex books three to one."
L. M. Boyd

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Carla Gilliss" > wrote:

> Excerpt
> > I think an illustrated cookbook, be it Good Housekeeping's or another
> > volume, would be a good choice for a 14-year-old newbie. A
> > lot of teenagers are visual learners.

> > Cindy

> Excuse me???
>
> I am 30+ years old and I know a lot of Adults that are VISUAL learners as
> well. As a matter of fact I am one of them.
>
> Carla

I didn't say that a lot of adults WEREN'T visual learners. They are.
Since the OP was looking for a picture cookbook for her 14-year-old and
some other people had disparaged the picture cookbook idea, I was
sticking up for the idea.

Cindy