Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apple Crisp

I'm about to make some for dinner tonight. I don't know what "dinner"
is going to be yet, but we're having apple crisp after it! Will see if
I can get it put together in the time it takes to preheat the oven.

It's cold and grey and drizzly. A fire in the fireplace wouldn't be a
bad thing and I'll bet Rob's got one going in the downstairs fireplace!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I'm about to make some for dinner tonight. I don't know what "dinner"
> is going to be yet, but we're having apple crisp after it! Will see if
> I can get it put together in the time it takes to preheat the oven.
>
> It's cold and grey and drizzly. A fire in the fireplace wouldn't be a
> bad thing and I'll bet Rob's got one going in the downstairs fireplace!

Can I stop by for dessert?
I've got some Schwan's BBQ riblets in the oven and I'll be doing some
Simply Potatoes in the frypan (and hoping I can keep them from
sticking) and green beans. But I don't have any dessert.

'wyrm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I'm about to make some for dinner tonight. I don't know what "dinner"
> is going to be yet, but we're having apple crisp after it! Will see if
> I can get it put together in the time it takes to preheat the oven.
>
> It's cold and grey and drizzly. A fire in the fireplace wouldn't be a
> bad thing and I'll bet Rob's got one going in the downstairs fireplace!
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Mmm sounds good.... would you mind sharing with me how it is that you
make your apple crisp??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bookwyrm > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > I'm about to make some for dinner tonight. I don't know what "dinner"
> > is going to be yet, but we're having apple crisp after it! Will see if
> > I can get it put together in the time it takes to preheat the oven.
> >
> > It's cold and grey and drizzly. A fire in the fireplace wouldn't be a
> > bad thing and I'll bet Rob's got one going in the downstairs fireplace!

> Can I stop by for dessert?
> I've got some Schwan's BBQ riblets in the oven and I'll be doing some
> Simply Potatoes in the frypan (and hoping I can keep them from
> sticking) and green beans. But I don't have any dessert.
>
> 'wyrm

You don't have dessert, I have dessert; I don't have a meal, you have a
meal. A match made in Burnsville. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apple Crisp - Recipe

In article .com>,
"Lilhamster" > wrote:

> Mmm sounds good.... would you mind sharing with me how it is that you
> make your apple crisp??

Sure. I usually use this recipe from Betty Crocker's Dinner For Two
cookbook (I received it 40 years ago as a bridal shower gift.)

Apple Crisp

2 medium sliced, pared, cored baking apples
1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
1/4 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp soft butter

Heat oven to 350 deg. Place apples in greased 9x5x3" loaf pan. blend
remaining ingredients until crumbly. Spread sugar-flour mixture over
apples. Bake 30-35 minutes until apples are tender and topping is
golden brown. Serve warm with cream, whipped ice cream, or hard sauce.
Makes 2 generous servings.

Notice I said that's how I usually do it. Tonight was different. I was
trying to figure out a way to make a Poor Woman's Apple Pie-like Crisp
with a crust on the bottom. I was just about to throw some butter and
flour together to make a pat-able crust layer on the bottom of a 9"
pottery plate I planned to use. I spotted on my counter a bag of
Cherry Crisp Topping Mix that I bought at the Arboretum a couple months
ago (because it came in a cute little cherry print cloth bag that I
wanted to put some of MY cherry jam into, that's why. For a gift. If
it's any of your business.). Its directions stated that half the mix
should be put on the bottom of a 9x9 pan. Huh. How convenient.

Here's where the topping mix came from:
http://oldmuffinfactory.com/id30.htm
I see that they sell it for $4 and I paid $5.25 at the Arboretum.

So I used that mix (sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon) mixed with butter and
patted half in the bottom of the pan, put four medium-large Haralson
apples (peeled, sliced, and cored) that I tossed with some flour, brown
sugar, and salt on top (high pile, let me tell you), then tried to put
the remaining topping on that. I decided to start baking it (375 deg
for about 45 minutes) and would then see if I couldn't put the rest of
the topping on it and finish baking. After about 30 minutes, it hadn't
settled much so I sort of mooshed the apples and topping around a little
and then put the rest of the topping on and continued to bake for about
15 minutes or so. When I took it out of the oven, it had settled a bit
and was a nice, lovely, apple crisp with a crusty bottom.

I served it up in bowls with a couple spoonsful of vanilla ice cream.
Pretty good.

It followed our supper of chili (half homemade, half canned Hormel
<shoot me>). Gotta tell you that the chili was mighty tasty. It's
still cold out, too. I just might fix a cup of bouillon to warm myself
before I hit the sheets.

I've put a couple pics on my jamlady website below.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:

> I'm about to make some for dinner tonight. I don't know what "dinner"
> is going to be yet, but we're having apple crisp after it! Will see if
> I can get it put together in the time it takes to preheat the oven.

What kind of apples will you use? I'd make an apple crisp if I could
find some Gravensteins, but I don't have time to go out to the farms
this week.

> It's cold and grey and drizzly. A fire in the fireplace wouldn't be a
> bad thing and I'll bet Rob's got one going in the downstairs fireplace!

We're gray and drizzly here, but it's not cold until night and even
then, not so much -- got up to 70 degrees yesterday...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I've put a couple pics on my jamlady website below.

That second pic is good enough for a magazine! Methinks you have a future
in food photography <guffaw!>

TammyM, who's had to wait to eat whilst Barb tried to get the perfect food
shot

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
> In article >,
> unge (Litttle Malice) wrote:
>
> > One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
> >
> > > I'm about to make some for dinner tonight. I don't know what "dinner"
> > > is going to be yet, but we're having apple crisp after it! Will see if
> > > I can get it put together in the time it takes to preheat the oven.

> > What kind of apples will you use? I'd make an apple crisp if I could
> > find some Gravensteins, but I don't have time to go out to the farms
> > this week.

> I'm partial to Haralsons. They are abundant, a great pie apple, and
> reasonably priced. They were born here 84 years ago.

I checked Wikipedia -- they sound very good:

"Haralson apples are crisp and juicy, having a tart flavor."

Unfortunately, not something I can get here in WA.

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/688378.html
> http://www.startribune.com/535/story/688159.html

Interesting! I loved this line, it seems to describe you Minny-Soda
folks so well:

"Horace Greeley used to write articles to encourage people to go west,
but he wrote, 'Go west, but don't go to Minnesota, because you can't
grow apples there,' Stushnoff said. There were a lot of proud
Scandinavian folks who said, 'We'll see about that.' "

As for Gravenstiens, Wikipedia describes them thusly:

"The Gravenstein apple is considered by many to be one of the best
all-around apples with a sweet, tart flavor, and is especially good
for baking and cooking."

They were discovered in 1669 in Denmark, but they don't keep well,
which is probably why they never caught on. DH swears we'll plant
some this Spring, and now that I finally found out how to pollinate
them. According to the nursery catalog I picked up at the Western
WA Fair, one of your Zestar trees will do it. Hormel's website
describes it as:

"crisp white grainy flesh that provides a slightly tart but sweet
and tangy tasting fruit"

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36470

Sounds wonderful! I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for
the info, Barb... :-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

unge (Litttle Malice) wrote:

> > > What kind of apples will you use? I'd make an apple crisp if I could
> > > find some Gravensteins, but I don't have time to go out to the farms
> > > this week.

> > I'm partial to Haralsons. They are abundant, a great pie apple, and
> > reasonably priced. They were born here 84 years ago.

> I checked Wikipedia -- they sound very good:
>
> "Haralson apples are crisp and juicy, having a tart flavor."
>
> Unfortunately, not something I can get here in WA.
>
> > Here are links to
> > a couple of stories about apple development at the U of MN

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/688378.html
> > http://www.startribune.com/535/story/688159.html

> Interesting! I loved this line, it seems to describe you Minny-Soda
> folks so well:
>
> "Horace Greeley used to write articles to encourage people to go west,
> but he wrote, 'Go west, but don't go to Minnesota, because you can't
> grow apples there,' Stushnoff said. There were a lot of proud
> Scandinavian folks who said, 'We'll see about that.' "

From the people who brought you, "That's different," and "It's pretty
good."

> http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36470
>
> Sounds wonderful! I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for
> the info, Barb... :-)

I think the most interesting thing I learned about apples in the last
year is that, regardless of pedigree, they will taste different
depending on where they are grown. I suppose it makes sense,but I'd
never thought about it at all. Guy was saying that the Honeycrisps are
grown in Washington but they're not the same as where they were born.
And I love that the U is making boatloads of bucks on licensing the
patent application.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I think the most interesting thing I learned about apples in the last
> year is that, regardless of pedigree, they will taste different
> depending on where they are grown. I suppose it makes sense,but I'd
> never thought about it at all. Guy was saying that the Honeycrisps are
> grown in Washington but they're not the same as where they were born.

Very true. We used to love picking MacIntosh and Cortlands at the
orchard when we lived in New England. Since moving to Colorado, I've
found Michigan MacIntosh that are mealy and tasteless. I don't think
I've seen the Cortlands at all. The tastiest apples we can get locally
are Galas and Fijis.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> > grow apples there,' Stushnoff said. There were a lot of proud
> > Scandinavian folks who said, 'We'll see about that.' "

> From the people who brought you, "That's different," and "It's pretty
> good."

I thought that was supposed to be "Not so bad. Can't complain. Could
be a lot worse." :-p

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sd > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > > grow apples there,' Stushnoff said. There were a lot of proud
> > > Scandinavian folks who said, 'We'll see about that.' "

> > From the people who brought you, "That's different," and "It's pretty
> > good."

> I thought that was supposed to be "Not so bad. Can't complain. Could
> be a lot worse." :-p
>
> sd

That's for the "advanced" Minnesota-speakers. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 03:57:30 -0500, sd > wrote:

>In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> > grow apples there,' Stushnoff said. There were a lot of proud
>> > Scandinavian folks who said, 'We'll see about that.' "

>> From the people who brought you, "That's different," and "It's pretty
>> good."

>I thought that was supposed to be "Not so bad. Can't complain. Could
>be a lot worse." :-p

No, those are the British responses -- only it's usually more like
"mustn't complain, mustn't grumble"

:-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 02:21:34 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> I think the most interesting thing I learned about apples in the last
>> year is that, regardless of pedigree, they will taste different
>> depending on where they are grown. I suppose it makes sense,but I'd
>> never thought about it at all. Guy was saying that the Honeycrisps are
>> grown in Washington but they're not the same as where they were born.

>Very true. We used to love picking MacIntosh and Cortlands at the
>orchard when we lived in New England. Since moving to Colorado, I've
>found Michigan MacIntosh that are mealy and tasteless.

really? things have changed then, because Michigan apples were full
of flavor and crisp - especially after I'd moved to CA and had
Washington and California apples to compare them to. Can't say I've
ever had a New England apple, but if the winters are colder than in
Michigan I don't doubt NE apples taste better.

> I don't think
>I've seen the Cortlands at all. The tastiest apples we can get locally
>are Galas and Fijis.

Merely OK. They are like choosing which one isn't the worst. I never
say "good", I say "not too bad". It could be worse, like a
"delicious" apple. Ugh! Wanna talk tasteless and mealy apples?
That's the epitome of it.

Apple Pie Crisp Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 06-06-2008 01:08 AM
REC: apple crisp Jackie Patti[_2_] Diabetic 7 29-10-2007 02:58 AM
Apple Crisp: Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:15 PM
REC: Apple Crisp Curly Sue General Cooking 1 21-07-2005 07:06 PM