Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default MINUTE MAID Orange Juice keeps trying to Fool us by changing the wording on the carton.

MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
response to pressure from a government agency.
They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
it was fresh orange juice. )
The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.

Cheers, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote in
oups.com:

> MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a
> carton, is Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the
> label--probably in response to pressure from a government
> agency.
> They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had
> to stop
> that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed
> from Fresh Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The
> latest one is "Home Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly
> showed me that label, thinking it was fresh orange juice. )
> The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing
> requires
> heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30
> minutes. That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not*
> drinking fresh juice.
> Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
>
> Cheers, Nancree

The truth...
is out there..
somewhere..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
> Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
> response to pressure from a government agency.
> They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
> that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
> Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
> Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
> it was fresh orange juice. )
> The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
> heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
> That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
> Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
>
> Cheers, Nancree

Shut up and buy California spinach. Hire people from Guatemala for
your orange juice farm which you have shamelessly plugged! Pay them
double up to $12 per day capitalista! Then when you get broke because
you have payed 2% fair wages, emigrate to Bolibia and work on coca
plantations and see how the other 90% of the worlds population lives!
Bastante!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> "nancree" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a
> > carton, is Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the
> > label--probably in response to pressure from a government
> > agency.
> > They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had
> > to stop
> > that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed
> > from Fresh Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The
> > latest one is "Home Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly
> > showed me that label, thinking it was fresh orange juice. )
> > The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing
> > requires
> > heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30
> > minutes. That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not*
> > drinking fresh juice.
> > Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
> >
> > Cheers, Nancree

> The truth...
> is out there..
> somewhere..

The best OJ is that from frozen concentrate, even better than fresh
squeezed.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bali wrote:
> nancree wrote:
> > MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
> > Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
> > response to pressure from a government agency.
> > They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
> > that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
> > Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
> > Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
> > it was fresh orange juice. )
> > The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
> > heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
> > That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
> > Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
> >
> > Cheers, Nancree

> Shut up and buy California spinach. Hire people from Guatemala for
> your orange juice farm which you have shamelessly plugged! Pay them
> double up to $12 per day capitalista! Then when you get broke because
> you have payed 2% fair wages, emigrate to Bolibia and work on coca
> plantations and see how the other 90% of the worlds population lives!
> Bastante!!!!

-----------------
What a Kook !
"plugged?"
"orange juice farm?"
"capitalista?"
"Bolibia?"
You missed the whole point. But, never mind.
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
> Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
> response to pressure from a government agency.
> They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
> that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
> Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
> Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
> it was fresh orange juice. )
> The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
> heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
> That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
> Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
>
> Cheers, Nancree

Not much different than everyones favorite store injecting meat with
water and preservatives and selling it as fresh meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
> Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
> response to pressure from a government agency.
> They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
> that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
> Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) .

That reminds me of when I used to work in the bakery department of a
grocery store. Customers would come to me with a loaf of bread or bag
of rolls and ask, "Were these baked fresh?" I was always tempted to
say, "No ma'am, they were baked stale."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 01:01:13p, nancree meant to say...

> MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
> Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
> response to pressure from a government agency.
> They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
> that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
> Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
> Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
> it was fresh orange juice. )
> The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
> heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
> That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
> Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
>
> Cheers, Nancree

But aren't they actually differentiating from the juices made from
concentrate?

I'm not aware of any commercial orange juice that is not pasteurized.

I usually buy "Simply Orange" or "Grovestand" brands, as their orange
juiced is never made from concentrate. Minute Made, OTOH, offer both
"fresh" and "from concentrate" varieties.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Is it ok to use my AM radio after NOON?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 01:01:13p, nancree meant to say...
>
> > MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
> > Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
> > response to pressure from a government agency.
> > They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
> > that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
> > Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
> > Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
> > it was fresh orange juice. )
> > The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
> > heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
> > That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
> > Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
> >
> > Cheers, Nancree
> >

> But aren't they actually differentiating from the juices made from
> concentrate?
>
> I'm not aware of any commercial orange juice that is not pasteurized.
>
> I usually buy "Simply Orange" or "Grovestand" brands, as their orange
> juiced is never made from concentrate. Minute Made, OTOH, offer both
> "fresh" and "from concentrate" varieties.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne asked:
"But aren't they actually differentiating from the juices made from
> concentrate?"

------
No, Wayne., I am looking at a Minute Maid carton right now. It says:

"Minute Maid Premium.
Home Squeezed "
("style" in very tiny letters)
100% pure squeezed (as opposed to "stale squeezed"?)
orange juice
(and in VERY small letters, so small they can hardly be read)
"from concentrate"
-------------
I think there's no mistake they are trying to fool us into thinking it
is fresh.

I think the government agency will soon make them change this too.
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 03:36:03p, nancree meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 01:01:13p, nancree meant to say...
>>
>> > MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
>> > Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
>> > response to pressure from a government agency.
>> > They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
>> > that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from

Fresh
>> > Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
>> > Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
>> > it was fresh orange juice. )
>> > The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing

requires
>> > heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
>> > That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh

juice.
>> > Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Nancree
>> >

>> But aren't they actually differentiating from the juices made from
>> concentrate?
>>
>> I'm not aware of any commercial orange juice that is not pasteurized.
>>
>> I usually buy "Simply Orange" or "Grovestand" brands, as their orange
>> juiced is never made from concentrate. Minute Made, OTOH, offer both
>> "fresh" and "from concentrate" varieties.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> Wayne asked:
> "But aren't they actually differentiating from the juices made from
>> concentrate?"

> ------
> No, Wayne., I am looking at a Minute Maid carton right now. It says:
>
> "Minute Maid Premium.
> Home Squeezed "
> ("style" in very tiny letters)
> 100% pure squeezed (as opposed to "stale squeezed"?)
> orange juice
> (and in VERY small letters, so small they can hardly be read)
> "from concentrate"
> -------------
> I think there's no mistake they are trying to fool us into thinking it
> is fresh.
>
> I think the government agency will soon make them change this too.
> Nancree

I stand corrected. Although they do also produce a juice that is not from
concentrate, or at least they used to. I don't like the one made from
concentrate. The brands I buy are clearly marked *not* from concentrate,
as well as clearly marked "pasteurized". Too bad about Minute Maid. I'd
have thought better of them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Is it ok to use my AM radio after NOON?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:

> No, Wayne., I am looking at a Minute Maid carton right now. It says:
>
> "Minute Maid Premium.
> Home Squeezed "
> ("style" in very tiny letters)
> 100% pure squeezed (as opposed to "stale squeezed"?)
> orange juice
> (and in VERY small letters, so small they can hardly be read)
> "from concentrate"
> -------------
> I think there's no mistake they are trying to fool us into thinking it
> is fresh.
>
> I think the government agency will soon make them change this too.
> Nancree

"Pure" has nothing to do with "stale". Stale is a level of freshness.
Pure implies nothing else added other than oranges.

Somehow I don't see the problems here that you're imagining?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
> Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
> response to pressure from a government agency.
> They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
> that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
> Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
> Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
> it was fresh orange juice. )
> The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
> heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
> That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
> Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.

Just out of curiosity, how does the Minute Maid OJ taste? If you enjoy
the taste, why get upset at how the OJ is labeled? If you don't enjoy
the flavor, why not switch to a different brand?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 10:07:01p, Stan Horwitz meant to say...

> In article .com>,
> "nancree" > wrote:
>
>> MINUTE MAID would like us to think their orange juice in a carton, is
>> Fresh Juice. They keep changing the wording on the label--probably in
>> response to pressure from a government agency.
>> They started calling it Fresh orange juice", but they had to stop
>> that. Then "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice". Then "Squeezed from Fresh
>> Oranges", (as opposed to dead oranges??) . The latest one is "Home
>> Squeezed Oranges". (A neighbor proudly showed me that label, thinking
>> it was fresh orange juice. )
>> The label says, as required, "Pasteurized." Pasteurizing requires
>> heating juice to 132 degrees and holding it there for over 30 minutes.
>> That's a good thing, of course, but you are *not* drinking fresh juice.
>> Thanks for letting me vent--but it is annoying.

> Just out of curiosity, how does the Minute Maid OJ taste? If you enjoy
> the taste, why get upset at how the OJ is labeled? If you don't enjoy
> the flavor, why not switch to a different brand?

Speaking for myself and not Nancree, I have tried both the Minute Made OJ
from concentrate and the one *not* from concentrate. The one from
concentrate has a decidedly "cooked" taste to me, which I don't like. The
*not* from concentrate is okay. However, I really prefer the taste of
Simply Orange, Grovestand, or Florida's Natural. All are *not* from
concentrate, and although pasteurized, have a decidedly fresher taste.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Is it ok to use my AM radio after NOON?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Speaking for myself and not Nancree, I have tried both the Minute Made OJ
> from concentrate and the one *not* from concentrate. The one from
> concentrate has a decidedly "cooked" taste to me, which I don't like. The
> *not* from concentrate is okay. However, I really prefer the taste of
> Simply Orange, Grovestand, or Florida's Natural. All are *not* from
> concentrate, and although pasteurized, have a decidedly fresher taste.

The only OJ I can tolerate at all is the Tropicana Low Acid:
http://www.tropicana.com/TRP_Product...m?ProductID=51

It says "pure squeezed" and "Pasturized" and IMO is pretty good.
Everything else is almost bitter to me.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 10:07:01p, Stan Horwitz meant to say...
>

>>In article .com>,
>> "nancree" > wrote:
>>
>>Just out of curiosity, how does the Minute Maid OJ taste? If you enjoy
>>the taste, why get upset at how the OJ is labeled? If you don't enjoy
>>the flavor, why not switch to a different brand?
>>

> Speaking for myself and not Nancree, I have tried both the Minute Made OJ
> from concentrate and the one *not* from concentrate. The one from
> concentrate has a decidedly "cooked" taste to me, which I don't like. The
> *not* from concentrate is okay. However, I really prefer the taste of
> Simply Orange, Grovestand, or Florida's Natural. All are *not* from
> concentrate, and although pasteurized, have a decidedly fresher taste.

As far as I know, Minute Maid does not have OJ "not" from concentrate
and tries to fool the consumer by labeling the cartons as if the juice
were not from concentrate. They used to have one, but stopped selling
it several years ago.

The only time I tasted it was years ago, when there was a city-wide
promotion by Minute Maid, introducing their "new" OJ, which was made
from concentrate but was supposed to taste like freshly squeezed.

I tasted it in several stores and each sample tasted equally vile. I
didn't even take advantage of the free containers that were offered.

They have changed the juice several times since then, but I never
tried it again. I buy several "not" from concentrate OJ's, whichever
one has the most pulp and is on sale. Morton Williams has one that
costs $1.99 on sale for the half gallon and it is just as good as
Tropicana or Florida Natural, which is either $2.50 or $3.00 on sale
in several super markets every week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 17 Sep 2006 05:18:29a, Margaret Suran meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 10:07:01p, Stan Horwitz meant to say...
>>

>>>In article .com>,
>>>"nancree" > wrote:
>>>
>>>Just out of curiosity, how does the Minute Maid OJ taste? If you enjoy
>>>the taste, why get upset at how the OJ is labeled? If you don't enjoy
>>>the flavor, why not switch to a different brand?
>>>

>> Speaking for myself and not Nancree, I have tried both the Minute Made
>> OJ from concentrate and the one *not* from concentrate. The one from
>> concentrate has a decidedly "cooked" taste to me, which I don't like.
>> The *not* from concentrate is okay. However, I really prefer the taste
>> of Simply Orange, Grovestand, or Florida's Natural. All are *not* from
>> concentrate, and although pasteurized, have a decidedly fresher taste.
>>

> As far as I know, Minute Maid does not have OJ "not" from concentrate
> and tries to fool the consumer by labeling the cartons as if the juice
> were not from concentrate. They used to have one, but stopped selling
> it several years ago.

I guess it's been longer than I realized since I had tried it.

> The only time I tasted it was years ago, when there was a city-wide
> promotion by Minute Maid, introducing their "new" OJ, which was made
> from concentrate but was supposed to taste like freshly squeezed.
>
> I tasted it in several stores and each sample tasted equally vile. I
> didn't even take advantage of the free containers that were offered.
>
> They have changed the juice several times since then, but I never
> tried it again. I buy several "not" from concentrate OJ's, whichever
> one has the most pulp and is on sale. Morton Williams has one that
> costs $1.99 on sale for the half gallon and it is just as good as
> Tropicana or Florida Natural, which is either $2.50 or $3.00 on sale
> in several super markets every week.

We can usually get brand or another at 2/$4 or 2/$5. We always buy two
because David likes "pulp free" and I like the most pulp I can get.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Is it ok to use my AM radio after NOON?

Is Orange Juice good for you? James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 54 13-02-2014 08:42 PM
About orange juice : aseptically processed juice PL[_5_] General Cooking 2 26-07-2010 08:42 AM
orange juice blackdog General Cooking 0 13-10-2006 11:00 PM
orange juice blackdog Coffee 0 13-10-2006 11:00 PM
Grape juice from a carton Thomas Winemaking 1 13-09-2004 04:56 PM