Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I took a leek

Actually, I took about 6 bunches of them. Three in a bunch, typically,
for a buck.

I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.

Question: Any herbs that are especially complementary to my base?

Como siempre, I await your counsel and advise,.
Thanks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Sep 2006 08:10:35a, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> Actually, I took about 6 bunches of them. Three in a bunch, typically,
> for a buck.
>
> I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
> sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
> water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
> to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
> slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.
>
> Question: Any herbs that are especially complementary to my base?
>
> Como siempre, I await your counsel and advise,.
> Thanks.

I would add summery savory.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Is it ok to use my AM radio after NOON?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:10:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Actually, I took about 6 bunches of them. Three in a bunch, typically,
>for a buck.
>
>I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
>sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
>water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
>to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
>slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. You just gave me ideas for my convalescence
food... I could freeze soup that way, and then cook and eat it...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Actually, I took about 6 bunches of them. Three in a bunch, typically,
> for a buck.
>
> I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
> sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
> water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
> to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
> slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.
>
> Question: Any herbs that are especially complementary to my base?

I was once served a great leek soup at a friend's place. She served it with
crumbled Stilton cheese. It was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[snip]>
> I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
> sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
> water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
> to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
> slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.
>
> Question: Any herbs that are especially complementary to my base?

I don't think so. I'm not aware of any "natural" or almost-always-used
pairings of herb with leeks. I'd leave it out of this base and then
try to match herbs eventually with some other main component of the
eventual dish. That said, a small bay leaf or a pinch of thyme
couldn't hoit much. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Actually, I took about 6 bunches of them. Three in a bunch, typically,
> for a buck.
>
> I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
> sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
> water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
> to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
> slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.
>
> Question: Any herbs that are especially complementary to my base?
>
> Como siempre, I await your counsel and advise,.
> Thanks.

I make a few soups with leeks as an ingredient, but I've never puréed
one of them - Perhaps I'm just a coarse individual ;-) My favourite is
chicken, leek and potato. Pre-cooked chicken wings - producing the
stock. Sweat chopped leeks, onions and potatoes (sometimes carrots
too), in covered pan, with butter. Then add chicken stock and chopped
pieces of chicken from the wings and simmer for 30 mins. Voila, a soup
fit for Kings/Queens! I've never yet used milk or cream to enhance a
soup - but there's always a first time. You really don't need herbs!

--
Don
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Actually, I took about 6 bunches of them. Three in a bunch, typically,
> for a buck.
>
> I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
> sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
> water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
> to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
> slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.
>
> Question: Any herbs that are especially complementary to my base?

Many herbs go well with leek... parsley, thyme, bay leaf, dill weed,
etc....

http://www.justvegetablerecipes.com/inxlee.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> [snip]>
> > I'm making soup base for the freezer. Here's where I am: Cleaned,
> > sliced, and sweated in a cup of butter and margarine. Covered with
> > water and a modest sprinkling of chicken bouillon base. My intention it
> > to freeze portions and when I need them, add potatoes, cook, and puree
> > slightly (stick blender) then add milk for serving.
> >
> > Question: Any herbs that are especially complementary to my base?
> >

> I don't think so. I'm not aware of any "natural" or almost-always-used
> pairings of herb with leeks. I'd leave it out of this base and then
> try to match herbs eventually with some other main component of the
> eventual dish. That said, a small bay leaf or a pinch of thyme
> couldn't hoit much. -aem

I was thinking of thyme, too. And the thought of tarragon went through
my head, too. Thanks, a (I feel like we're friendly enough I can call
you by your first initial). :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
e?

> I was once served a great leek soup at a friend's place. She served it with
> crumbled Stilton cheese. It was delicious.

Croutons here.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I would add summery savory.

Hmm, I think I have some of that on hand, too. Ta.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
> e?
> >
> > I was once served a great leek soup at a friend's place. She served it with
> > crumbled Stilton cheese. It was delicious.

> Croutons here.

Try the Stilton :-)

Leeks are essential to the classic Belgium dish Waterzooi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Try the Stilton :-)

Yes. Try the Stilton. And as your flavoring, use real Herbs de Provence
(with lavender). Forget the croutons. If you have to have something crisp on
top, deep fry some thinly sliced additional leek.

If Dave will fogive me for barging in here when he has given some excellent
adivse, I will add that you can omit the Stilton and spoon 2 tbs. of double
cream or sour cream on top. This can in turn be topped with a fresh
chiffonade of basil. Just be sure that you season it with the Herbs de
Provence and, in this case, some Gorgonzola or ricotta salata. I can't seem
to escape the powerful grasp of cheese!

Charliam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> I was thinking of thyme, too. And the thought of tarragon went through
> my head, too. Thanks, a (I feel like we're friendly enough I can call
> you by your first initial). :-)

I never think it right to use thyme by itself. Just me perhaps, but it is so
strong that I think it needs to be tempered with other herbs, particularly
parsley. The use of tarragon limits what you can do with the result as it
has such a distinctive flavor. Speaking for meself, I prefer softer flavors
such as marjoram, savory and parsley for such uses. Additional flavors can
be added with little conflict that way. But what do I know? Listen to aem, I
have never been sent the wrong way by aem. Now, aem does have some dietary
differences from me. I just ingnore that or adapt. I dislike most "seafood"
for example.

Charliam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:40:00 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>I never think it right to use thyme by itself. Just me perhaps, but it is so
>strong that I think it needs to be tempered with other herbs, particularly
>parsley.

I LOVE thyme and use it a lot. Leek is a strong flavor, so a pinch or
two of thyme won't over power it.

Leek Chowder with Ham Jenifer Milton Recipes (moderated) 0 22-10-2007 03:48 PM
leek preparation Stacia General Cooking 11 12-05-2006 03:31 PM
Chicken and Leek Pot Pie Old Mother Ashby General Cooking 11 01-05-2006 05:31 PM
Leek and Ham Bake Liz Harket Baking 2 21-03-2004 05:55 PM
Leek wine corcoran Winemaking 2 02-12-2003 05:26 PM